I broked my Surface Pro 6. Replace or go with a PS5?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON  Online
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

So like an idiot I jabbed my headphone jack into my solitary usb port. Now the USB port doesn't work. As a result, I can't use my mouse anymore and this makes playing some games I own a bit too challenging.

At any rate, If I try to replace it, I'm going to have to spend the equivalent of a PS5. I love playing games on my Surface Pro. But I also really want a PS5.

So does anyone have any recommendations? I can't do both, so which one should I get?

KazHirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 KazHirai
Member since 2019 • 433 Posts

Well considering the Surface Pro shares more with PC and as a result does Xbox; it's confusing why you wouldn't go for a Series X.

The jump from that to the PS5 makes about as much sense as Ghost comparing Doom to some Anime game.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Wait. Surface Pro 6 can use bluetooth mouse and keyboard right? I hope you can get one that works smoothly. Maybe get one of the more popular brands just to be safe (customer support).

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DEVILinIRON  Online

@kazhirai: Sorry, I forgot to mention I have a PS4. So naturally I'm I interested in the PS5.

I haven't been following the X side of things

But will have to check it out. Thanks!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58380 Posts

What's your budget? I'd say just go whole-hog and build a desktop. Perfect time to do so.

• Case
  • Mobo
  • CPU
  • PSU
  • GPU
  • Memory
  • 256 GB SSD for OS, whatever you want for general storage

Slap it all together, you're good to go.

PS5 might be inexpensive enough that if you feel like you're missing out, in a year or two you can just buy one anyway and play the exclusives.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Case

Mobo

CPU

PSU

GPU

Memory

256 GB SSD for OS, whatever you want for general storage

Whats a good price high performance on a gaming pc?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DEVILinIRON  Online

@mrbojangles25: Thank you. MS Surface Pro 6 & 7 are around $700. I probably get a good PC for cheap. You are right.

I hadn't thought of it, but I suppose it might be possible to take the PC, as you say, and set it up to run on my TV. I can't have a traditional PC setup because I don't have enough room in my studio apartment.

Though I have been kicking around the idea of having a monitor facing down from above my bed. In this way I can turn the monitor on its side and play pinball.

Much to figure out.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

If you're just gaming, might as well go for the PS5, unless you need to do some very specific tasks on a PC. Consoles have a lower entry point but it may cost you more in the long run if you wanna play MP games or buy games at launch.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rzxv04

@DEVILinIRON said:

@mrbojangles25: Thank you. MS Surface Pro 6 & 7 are around $700. I probably get a good PC for cheap. You are right.

I hadn't thought of it, but I suppose it might be possible to take the PC, as you say, and set it up to run on my TV. I can't have a traditional PC setup because I don't have enough room in my studio apartment.

Though I have been kicking around the idea of having a monitor facing down from above my bed. In this way I can turn the monitor on its side and play pinball.

Much to figure out.

I think there are still some YMMV costco deals. I just saw one last week for a Surface Laptop i5, 256gb, 8gb, for ~$ 660 brand new.

But is there a reason you don't want to try looking for a BT mouse to work with your surface, at least for the near future?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39176 Posts

Buy a Wii

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Get another Surface. Gamepass is an amazing value and the ps5 will suck for a while after launch. Historically, Sony spends more on marketing than software for their newly launched systems.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58380 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@mrbojangles25: Case

Mobo

CPU

PSU

GPU

Memory

256 GB SSD for OS, whatever you want for general storage

Whats a good price high performance on a gaming pc?

High performance? Depends on a few things. I won't include monitors and OS in the cost (people generally already have those), but I generally budget myself 1000 dollars when starting from scratch and aiming for "high performance", and an emergency budget of +150 dollars (you never know, you might need more cables, some fans, etc).

I just came up this one for a bit over 900 dollars, and you could easily shave 150-200 dollars off that if you took some hits in other areas. You could also budget a bit more and get an even better PC. But this will run whatever you want at high-ultra at 1440p no problem.

I'm not an expert like some folks on here (@BassMan, to name one), I am sure they could steer you in a better direction. I generally get a little rusty on tech stuff until I feel like I need to build one, then I will do my research.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1003 Posts

Did you break your English along the way?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DEVILinIRON  Online

@rzxv04: Thanks! Your solution is best for the time being. I never utilized the bluetooth capabilities. Also, I'm not that smart!

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1847 Posts

Ever heard of that thing called Bluetooth? Anyway how is this a System Wars material 🙄

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

@Sevenizz: lol you’re loco man

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

try using bluetooth mouse, that way you might get away with still using a mouse. But yeah, i don't get how you break a USB by sticking a headphone into it...they aren't that weak.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rzxv04

@DEVILinIRON said:

@rzxv04: Thanks! Your solution is best for the time being. I never utilized the bluetooth capabilities. Also, I'm not that smart!

I hope you can do a bit of research though. I've never used a bluetooth mouse. Some say some units are finicky with the connection quality.

My suggestion would be get one that's on sale, and a popular brand (MS, Logitech, etc.) so there's decent warranty. In store warranties are nice too. I think Costco is very lenient if you can find a BT Mouse inside the store. Easier to return the product there if you find the quality terrible.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DEVILinIRON  Online

@ivangrozny said:

Ever heard of that thing called Bluetooth? Anyway how is this a System Wars material 🙄

System Wars material (hahaha, quality stuff). How is it not? I was trying to decide on two different systems... I really don't care where this thread ends up. The solution has been made anyway and it wasn't your redundant comment that solved it.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

@DEVILinIRON: start thinking for yourself

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DEVILinIRON  Online

@sheep99 said:

Yeah. Never mind that I had a long work week. Why don't you stop being an asshole?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

USB ports are simple to replace. Simple solder job.

I'm sure any repair place could do it quickly.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

Just use bluetooth kb/m or go with a desktop PC if you can.

You CAN get a PS5, but just know that there won't be a ton of launch games. If you are fine with playing some PS4 masterpieces you missed out on (like TLOU 2 and GOT) than get a PS5.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DEVILinIRON  Online

@pyro1245: It's a tablet. I'm not convinced it would be as easy as you suggest. However, I will investigate further when the local tech place opens on Monday. Thanks

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:
@sheep99 said:

Yeah. Never mind that I had a long work week. Why don't you stop being an asshole?

Never mind that, how about the fact that someone with the name Sheep is telling you to think for yourself? lol... Then again, perhaps that's the joke... but I'm very likely giving the alt a little too much credit. Would be funny if intentional though.

Anyways though.. I would go with a PS5. We know there is more to show soon and it isn't hard to tell that it is going to come out of the gates strong at launch. I know that a lot of the rumors are just that, but some of them will pan out like they always do and I have been hearing a lot of good news on the game side of things.

Good luck either way man. Oh, and forget the asshats, trolls, and alts, they didn't pay to get in, they snuck in through the hole under the bridge and no matter how many times they get thrown out they just keep climbing back over the fence...

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By filthyn00b
Member since 2020 • 473 Posts

xbox series x has better games or a gaming pc, ps5 licks nuts.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: people are sheep’s can’t think for them self always ask others for advice. Tablet and consoles are 2 different things if he asked should i get a surface or an ipad would make more sense. Usb port can be repaired easily. So he definitely should get an Xbox series X