Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

I've fought over this issue, but after that Direct it's just not right to call Switch a serious console. Every game for it is better played elsewhere unless you buy it just for the portable experience. As a console, it's pointless and they should probably just sell it without the dock and shave off a few bucks at this point. It's just a better Vita and nothing more. It's not living up to its potential and its only selling point is console-level gaming on the go. This year is barren for anyone who owns another console. It's not really a "drought" like so many people are claiming because it's getting a fuckton of games, but to PS4 and Wii U owners it will feel like one.

My advice: If you don't own a Switch but do own a Wii U and another console or a PC, wait for Switch's first major pricecut before jumping in. By the end of next year things should be much better... hopefully.

And no you-know-who, this does not make it selling less than 50 million in its lifetime even remote possible, especially if it end up with an 8+ year lifespan like 3DS. It will still cross the 35 million mark either late this year or in the first half of next year.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#2 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Why did the Vita fail, then?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Stop the presses, OP officially called it. It's a handheld.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I use it docked about80% of the time. How is this not a hybrid? Because there are more powerful systems out there? According to this thinking Sony and Microsoft should stop selling consoles because you can get the experience with better graphics on a pc. OP doesn’t make sense here. It’s a hybrid because you can use it both docked and portable. This was never in question.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Who cares? I can play Zelda, Dark Souls, Okami, Smash, Mario Kart, Rocket League, Skyrim, and Crash Bandicoot all on the same platform.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Nah, it is a hybrid. Saying that it’s just a handheld system just because it’s not as powerful as the other systems is a pretty silly qualifier in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Saying it's a handheld is dumb when the battery life is sub-par. It's a console with limited handheld capabilities. Hybrid fits better.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

so it is not a hybrid because its is getting ports from consoles like the wiiU and ps4/xbox?

i am confused by this logic.

so it has to have movie games like god of war and the last of us and quicktime movies like spiderman to be considered a "real" console?

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Oh I see. The damage control has already begun.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Dang.

At least you have some honor OP. It takes an honorable man to admit when he’s wrong about something. A lot of people here just double down on their bullshit even when there’s evidence against it.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

It's a glorified tablet with terrible controls that can plug into your TV.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Techhog89

@so_hai said:

Why did the Vita fail, then?

Because Sony sucks at supporting handhelds.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@quadknight: Except he’s wrong about being wrong lol.

Next he’ll make a thread apologizing he was wrong for making a thread about being wrong when he was right.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

@techhog89 said:

I've fought over this issue, but after that Direct it's just not right to call Switch a serious console. Every game for it is better played elsewhere unless you buy it just for the portable experience. As a console, it's pointless and they should probably just sell it without the dock and shave off a few bucks at this point. It's just a better Vita and nothing more. It's not living up to its potential and its only selling point is console-level gaming on the go. This year is barren for anyone who owns another console. It's not really a "drought" like so many people are claiming because it's getting a fuckton of games, but to PS4 and Wii U owners it will feel like one.

My advice: If you don't own a Switch but do own a Wii U and another console or a PC, wait for Switch's first major pricecut before jumping in. By the end of next year things should be much better... hopefully.

And no you-know-who, this does not make it selling less than 50 million in its lifetime even remote possible, especially if it end up with an 8+ year lifespan like 3DS. It will still cross the 35 million mark either late this year or in the first half of next year.

But you specifically call it a home console here:

its only selling point is console-level gaming on the go.

And here:

This year is barren for anyone who owns another console.

Make up your mind.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@quadknight: Except he’s wrong about being wrong lol.

Next he’ll make a thread apologizing he was wrong for making a thread about being wrong when he was right.

yup

classic techhog.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

People use it as either a console, a handheld, or both.

It’s really not that hard to acknowledge that the Switch is a hybrid.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

When bayo 3 hits and I finally get mine I doubt I will ever use it as a handheld. Just like I rarely play my vita, 3ds, gba etc..

Playing whilst in bed on a Sunday morning has its appeal but don't think that will be a regular thing..

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Nah, you were right before. The Switch is a hybrid.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I've been using it as a handheld just because all the 4 HDMI ports on my TV are already reserved.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I don’t really see why it matters what it is. Can you play games on it?

Kjtc1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22 Kjtc1979
Member since 2017 • 365 Posts

The idea that it being anything other than a hybrid is up for debate is ludicrous clickbait.

A bunch of PS4 games from last year are coming to Switch, some of which I deliberately waited on so I could have the option of playing them on TV and in handheld mode. You know, on a hybrid system. Which is what Switch is by its very definitIon.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Nintendo don't even call it a handheld = It's not a handheld.

/Thread

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

If it’s a handheld, what is that dock for???

Xbox being in 3rd has got people shook. If the Switch is a handheld, Xbox can be in 2nd place again. It’s too bad the Switch hooks up to the TV with improved resolution and performance.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Lol, this system is so confusing for SW. Just enjoy the f*cking thing (or don't, if it's not to your taste)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44056 Posts

Only Nintendont would even get away with people going along with their Fake marketing calling the Gimmick a console for even a short time... It's a Handheld that's able to connect to a TV and in no way is it in the same product space and should never be compared to MS/Sony Traditional home consoles. Hey, it's not my fault they can no longer compete in that space as Wii U proved all too well. :P

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Nah, it is a hybrid. Saying that it’s just a handheld system just because it’s not as powerful as the other systems is a pretty silly qualifier in my opinion.

It is actually in a tablet form factor though.

I mean I honestly have never understood how anyone could argue it's anything BUT a tablet. It *IS* a tablet. Hello. Maybe the best gaming tablet on the market though, or at least far more popular than Nvidia Shield ever hoped to be.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

LA Noire 720p handheld 1080p docked. If it was just outputting a HDMI signal to a TV then yeah, but its not your getting a boost in resolution or performance.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

It's a jack of all trades game platform. Is neither a proper handheld (too big, garbage battery life), and too gimped to be a good console. It's being held up by the sheer novelty of it, and the fact it got a great Zelda game out of the gate. This is going to be the formula for Nintendo consoles from now on... lead with Zelda.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Techhog89

@BenjaminBanklin said:

It's a jack of all trades game platform. Is neither a proper handheld (too big, garbage battery life), and too gimped to be a good console. It's being held up by the sheer novelty of it, and the fact it got a great Zelda game out of the gate. This is going to be the formula for Nintendo consoles from now on... lead with Zelda.

Zelda is only the third best selling game for it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

@2Chalupas: As far as I’m concerned it has a lot more going on with it then a mere tablet does. Controller input capabilities, game cartridge slots, capability to add more storage space, increased performance when connected to a tv, and probably more but those are just off the top of my head. To me it definitely fits the bill as being a console/portable hybrid.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

It's a hybrid, so get the **** over it.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@PCgameruk said:

LA Noire 720p handheld 1080p docked. If it was just outputting a HDMI signal to a TV then yeah, but its not your getting a boost in resolution or performance.

I don't believe the dock actually does anything though, except pass through the signal. It's a tablet, with an HDMI pass through dock.

The dock isnt actually boosting performance. If it did, THEN it would be a hybrid. As it is, they probably just let performance go slightly higher when docked because if not the handheld would get too hot and/or battery life would drain too fast.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Techhog89

@2Chalupas said:
@PCgameruk said:

I don't believe the dock actually does anything though, except pass through the signal. It's a tablet, with an HDMI pass through dock.

The dock isnt actually boosting performance. If it did, THEN it would be a hybrid. As it is, they probably just let performance go slightly higher when docked because if not the handheld would get too hot and/or battery life would drain too fast.

It's more than slightly. The GPU clock doubles when docked. I think the RAM increases in speed by about 25% as well.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

@2Chalupas said:
@PCgameruk said:

Its basically just the clocks speeds running at its max in docked because its running off a main power source. Handheld mode the clock speeds drop to save on battery life like you said. I think i read its about 25% speed increase in docked mode. Maybe the dock boosts more than we know? One thing i do know, if you plug the power cable into the switch itself you don't get any benefits running off the mains compared to the benefits running it docked.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Disagree OP. I never undock my console, and play AAA games on it just fine. Considering this is just the start of year 2 for that console, the lack of a game drought is amazeballs. I'm ok with them having a bit of a drought at some point, and filling it with lesser graphically pleasing handheld styles games for a while.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@Epak_: it doesn't look great on my 4k TV so I only use it as a handheld

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I've undocked mine maybe three times since buying it on launch day. It's a console and a handheld.

Loading Video...

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Techhog89

@PCgameruk said:
@2Chalupas said:
@PCgameruk said:

Its basically just the clocks speeds running at its max in docked because its running off a main power source. Handheld mode the clock speeds drop to save on battery life like you said. I think i read its about 25% speed increase in docked mode. Maybe the dock boosts more than we know? One thing i do know, if you plug the power cable into the switch itself you don't get any benefits running off the mains compared to the benefits running it docked.

Its a 100% increase in GPU clockspeed (and thus FLOPS) going from undocked boost mode to docked mode.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

It's irrelevant what internet guys classify this system as. It's a platform to play games on, and Nintendo just giving users many different ways to play those games.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Love the pathetic damage control from Xbox and PS4... ohh no it’s not a console so when it outsells/ourscore them they have another pathetic defense....

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@stereointegrity said:

@Epak_: it doesn't look great on my 4k TV so I only use it as a handheld

Yeah most games don't look that great. Odyssey and MK8 looked pretty nice even from a 65".

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

I use it primarily as a handheld but I honestly feel these kind of dumb discussions risk lowering our IQs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@2Chalupas: Hybrid confirmed!

Really though, the people saying that the system is downclocked to preserve batter life is only half factual. The Switch screen is only 720p, so there is no need to run at the clocks the Switch does in docked mode.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@drummerdave9099 said:

Who cares? I can play Zelda, Dark Souls, Okami, Smash, Mario Kart, Rocket League, Skyrim, and Crash Bandicoot all on the same platform.

Just reading this post made me realize: no other console in the history of gaming has had all these titles in one sentence.

Pcmasterrace69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pcmasterrace69
Member since 2017 • 373 Posts

I can play it on my 43 inch tv and on the go.

Its a hybrid alright.

Wii u was a home console and also wii despite the fact it got less power in Tflops compared to the competition.

But hey. flash news: nintendo focus on exclusive content and nice gimmics.

Just because dark sous is better on my ps4 pro or pc it doesnt make switch a pure handheld.

And If I want to play dark souls at better graphics I can buy it for one of my other platforms

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

@enzyme36 said:

It's irrelevant what internet guys classify this system as. It's a platform to play games on, and Nintendo just giving users many different ways to play those games.

That's basically how I see it as well.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Techhog89

@goldenelementxl said:

Really though, the people saying that the system is downclocked to preserve batter life is only half factual. The Switch screen is only 720p, so there is no need to run at the clocks the Switch does in docked mode.

Erm, no, it's definitely for battery life and to prevent frying your hands.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@jaydan said:
@drummerdave9099 said:

Just reading this post made me realize: no other console in the history of gaming has had all these titles in one sentence.

If Nintendo had a platform that was as powerful as the competition and getting equal 3rd party support it would be a no-brainer the only platform I'd need to own each gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@techhog89 said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Erm, no, it's definitely for battery life and to prevent frying your hands.

So why would Nintendo use the same "juice" to run a 720p version of a game that they use to run a 900p-1080p version? And why would you "fry" your hands? The joycon don't get hot... In fact, from my experience the only time the Switch gets hot is in docked mode.