I absolutely hate silent protagonists in JRPGs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Duvilinon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Duvilinon
Member since 2009 • 205 Posts

Seriously. It's the reason I hate most old school rpgs like chrono trigger and DQ or golden sun

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It works for me. Dragon Quest is the greatest RPG series ever! There would be no Final Fantasy without it. I'm pretty sure Dragon Quest is the pioneer of JRPGs

-Traveller-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Traveller-
Member since 2009 • 2477 Posts

It depends on the JRPG an story.

CTUDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CTUDude
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts
I guess you're going to hate Final Fantasy XIV's protagonist, 'The Mute Deaf Guy'. Shame shame....
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

The best JRPG's tend to have protagonists that are pretty silent, so I'm not complaining, especially because most JRPG voices get on my nerves hardcore.

Steakdinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Steakdinner
Member since 2004 • 478 Posts

You know, I think ive got to agree with you there, thats the main reason I havent bought a Wii, I only had a gamecube for the Zelda games, but got tired of playing mute protagonists.

ralphikari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ralphikari
Member since 2006 • 752 Posts

...for the simple fact that most JRPG's cannot channel the player's emotion through dialogue or action. That's why I've played hundreds of JRPG but still prefer WRPG any day since Ultima.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#8 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

...for the simple fact that most JRPG's cannot channel the player's emotion through dialogue or action. That's why I've played hundreds of JRPG but still prefer WRPG any day since Ultima.

ralphikari
The idea behind JRPGs is to flow with the emotions of the story. It's not like Fallout where you can say "**** you do it yourself" if you can't feel the emotions in the story when I don't know what to tell you. Many JRPGs have moments that make me teary eyed or get me really excited about plot twists.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
Yah but in JRPGs, all the other characters talk soooo much that its better that the protagonists just shuts up and allows the gamer to aquaint themselves with the backstory of that universe.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

You know what I hate even more? Silent protagonists that people think have depth like Master Chief and Gordon Freeman.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

You know what I hate even more? Silent protagonists that people think have depth like Master Chief and Gordon Freeman.

Aljosa23
.. Master Chief isn't silent he talks, but he is a drab and stupid character.. Gordon Freeman is ment to be a standin for your self, hence why he never talks and you never really see his face.. YOU are suppose to be him.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts
You know what I hate even more? Silent protagonists that people think have depth like Master Chief and Gordon Freeman.Aljosa23
I hate talkative characters with zero depth even more :P Damn you, Aldaris and your constant lack of depth telling me constantly to construct additional pylons!
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Javy03

Aljosa23
Yes that is true, that is much worse.
shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

I prefer to have the MC with a voice but i wont throw a fit if its a silent protagonist.

However what i DO really hate is when a jrpg has voice overs yet allows you to name the man character. So througout the game hes referenced as him or that guy etc. Games such as FFX, FFX-2 and persona 3FES. It really annoyed me throuhout X-2 and the Answer how they kept saying 'him' etc. I havent played Persona 4 yet but im guessing its the same deal.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Javy03
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

.. Master Chief isn't silent he talks, but he is a drab and stupid character.. Gordon Freeman is ment to be a standin for your self, hence why he never talks and you never really see his face.. YOU are suppose to be him.

Most silent protagonists' purpose is to make you feel like your the character. I wouldnt be surprised if Master Chief wasn't the same way. But it is pretty funny when people find depth in silent protagonists.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="Javy03"] Most silent protagonists' purpose is to make you feel like your the character. I wouldnt be surprised if Master Chief wasn't the same way. But it is pretty funny when people find depth in silent protagonists.

Eh, I disagree. When you look at games ilke Suikoden 2 you don't really play yourself in the role of the main character. The character is largely defined by those around him. It is ambient story telling.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Javy03

Most silent protagonists' purpose is to make you feel like your the character. I wouldnt be surprised if Master Chief wasn't the same way. But it is pretty funny when people find depth in silent protagonists.

Master Chief isn't silent though he talks and has out of body experiences constantly through out the Halo games.. Half Life series does none such thing, Gordon never talks and you never see any perspective other than his eyes.. MC isn't a silent protagonist.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

Aljosa23
When has anyone said Gordon Freeman has depth?
El-Visitante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 El-Visitante
Member since 2007 • 1137 Posts

Eh, I hate silent protagonists period. KZ2 kind of annoyed me too in that Sev only talked during cut scenes, and never responded to but always seemed to reply to his squad during gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#20 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I don't mind.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

AAllxxjjnn

I would like to know aswell...
ralphikari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ralphikari
Member since 2006 • 752 Posts

[QUOTE="ralphikari"]

Tiefster

The idea behind JRPGs is to flow with the emotions of the story. It's not like Fallout where you can say "**** you do it yourself" if you can't feel the emotions in the story when I don't know what to tell you. Many JRPGs have moments that make me teary eyed or get me really excited about plot twists.

It's the very definition of "RPG" itself. JRPG's make players perform what the heroes are designed to be, WRPG's let players shape the heroes. There's less thinking in JRPG's. They can be a joy ride/sad ride/thrill ride/roller-coaster ridebut in the end, just a ride like watching a movie or reading a novel.

The original Dragon Quest borrowed many elements from D&D, and the excellent Hydlide, Relics, Lunatic Dawn series(all dead now) offered great player-freedom and plenty of choices. Somewhere along the line JRPG's became the genre as we know it and stopped evolving. Personally I find the dramatic moments in them funny and cliche - even the million-dollar shot of Arieth in FFVII but that's just me. :P

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

It works well in the Dragon Quest, Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series pretty well. I actually prefer that way

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

Some of the best JRPGs and JRPG series have silent protagonists.....

BUT even better JRPGs have talkitive characters.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Some of the best JRPGs and JRPG series have silent protagonists.....

BUT even better JRPGs have talkitive characters.

-Oath

You do have a point XenoGears, Vagrant Story and FF: Tactics are titles worth mentioning

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

buh buh but teh Tidus had the annoying voice :cry:

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I actually prefer a silent protagonist. I like making dialogue choices. If they were to repeat what I selected it wouldn't feel as personal to me. Probably why I love Persona 3 and 4 so much.

Duvilinon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Duvilinon
Member since 2009 • 205 Posts

I actually prefer a silent protagonist. I like making dialogue choices. If they were to repeat what I selected it wouldn't feel as personal to me. Probably why I love Persona 3 and 4 so much.

yokofox33

Yea but there are games with silent protagonists where you cant make choices

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

_Pedro_

I would like to know aswell...

YOU are the one free man. As for Master Chief, he has a voice and charicature assigned to him. As for silent JRPG characters, get over it Chrono Cross is awesome, and a good story and presentation can make up for your nit-picking. Not to mention wonderful musical composition. I like alot of more western-ish RPGs (or really action RPGs) like Oblivion and Titan Quest, but my heart belongs to the old school JRPGs like Lost Odyssey, the FF games, Legend of Dragoon, Parasite Eve, Saga Frontier, Vagrant Story, and most of all: Xenogears.