Hypothetically... if PS5 were more powerful than Anaconda. Should Microsoft...

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Hypothetically... if PS5 were more powerful than Anaconda. Should Microsoft... (7 votes)

... hurry and try to put a third, stronger Scarlett box in turnaround to save face? 14%
... just stay the course with the two boxes it has for the gen? 86%

Ya know. Xbox was banking pretty hard on turning Xbox around with a more powerful console this gen, being that they leaned pretty hard into the power narrative by creating the most expensive box at current. Can't imagine what would be left as a selling point for Xbox if they didn't have that advantage. Game Pass maybe?

I know I personally don't care if PS5 isn't more powerful, I'm still buying it, as Sony has only had one clearly more powerful console than Xbox the whole time Playstation's been on the market anyway. It's all about the library for me. But, some console gamers like having the strongest spec hardware. Should MS immediately keep the hardware arms race going against Sony, or find a way to sell Scarlett boxes based on content and value?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Wait, when did MS confirm they are releasing 2 consoles next gen???

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

The games are what matter. Just stick with the hardware you have and put out some quality software. If people are really interested in power, they wouldn't be looking at consoles to begin with they would be herming it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

The most powerful console doesn’t win the generation... Look it up

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts
@i_p_daily said:

Not sure. I concluded that was still the plan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@goldenelementxl said:

The most powerful console doesn’t win the generation... Look it up

Are you saying the XB1 is more powerful than the PS4?

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

It’s funny how every sad cow apparently doesn’t care about power, yet keeps creating one stupid thread after another with that exact topic..

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

You lot are getting mid gen upgrades, probably best to wait.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
@djoffer said:

It’s funny how every sad cow apparently doesn’t care about power, yet keeps creating one stupid thread after another with that exact topic..

So you don't care about power. What brings you by?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@i_p_daily: The Xbox One X launched and didn’t move the needle in Microsoft’s favor in the slightest. Sony even preemptively launched the Pro to counter the X which also didn’t sell. The Switch has passed the PS4 in Japan in a fraction of the time. All of these factors prove that power doesn’t matter.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

They can create the weakest and cheapest next gen console and still have a market thanks to PC-Xbox strategy.

I wonder if pushing pc tech to its limits would be even a valid strategy where their 1080p streaming shows much better graphics than most consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@goldenelementxl: Using mid gen resfreshers as your argument, thats when you lost the debate lol.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

they better throw some money around to get some worthwhile exclusives then

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@BenjaminBanklin: "still the plan"

Like i said MS never confirmed there will be 2 consoles next gen, its been speculation but thats it.

That and MS never mentioned a second console at E3.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:

Wait, are you talking about MS releasing Scarlet as the main console and later on, MS will release the upgrade version? If so, I thought that was the norm now for both MS/Sony.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BenjaminBanklin
@Xabiss said:

You can still kiss my ass.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

They are running the same hardware. It's very unlikely that there will be any significant difference between them

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BenjaminBanklin
@davillain- said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:

Wait, are you talking about MS releasing Scarlet as the main console and later on, MS will release the upgrade version? If so, I thought that was the norm now for both MS/Sony.

No, the talk surrounding the supposed plans that Xbox was supposed to release an affordable model and a prime model at launch. Codenamed Lockheart and Anaconda. Phil doesn't seem to have a comment on the former right now, so no one knows if it's still a thing.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2564 Posts

If that happens I think they should release Age of Empires 4, it won't change anything, but I've waiting for it for more than a decade.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

No, the talk surrounding the supposed plans that Xbox was supposed to release an affordable model and a prime model at launch. Codenamed Lockheart and Anaconda. Phil doesn't seem to have a comment on the former right now, so no one knows if it's still a thing.

Yeah, I don't see that happening ever again from both Sony/MS. PS3 was a prime example and it didn't work out well and the same goes for Xbox 360 during their launch. It cost way too much money on making both models as it is and Sony/MS got it right the first time with PS4/Xbox One.

NUSNA_Moebius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NUSNA_Moebius
Member since 2014 • 118 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

@i_p_daily: The Xbox One X launched and didn’t move the needle in Microsoft’s favor in the slightest. Sony even preemptively launched the Pro to counter the X which also didn’t sell. The Switch has passed the PS4 in Japan in a fraction of the time. All of these factors prove that power doesn’t matter.

It did matter when the PS4 and Xbone were announced. Beyond Sony actually focusing on games, the performance gulf and resulting improved image quality on PS4 over the Xbone versions likely helped it quite a bit. The mid gen refreshes would not hold the same kind of clout because they did not set the stage for the generation. They were simply upgrades that would not establish the foothold created by the original machines.

I think it's a bit up in the air that the PS5 and Scarlett get top end refreshes this gen though. They will be getting relatively high end GPU arrays, probably in the 12 TFLOP range, and on par with Radeon VII, if RDNA's utilization improvements scale with CU counts and clock speed. Throw in the hardware RT abilities, even if minor, and alot of PCers will be wanting to upgrade to catch up or stay ahead. It's not the same situation in 2013. The PS4 in 2013 had less than half the TFLOPS of the top end Radeon 7970 that released almost two years prior, the Xbone, not even a third. Then there was the R9 290X.......... The refreshes last gen were necessary to satiate a quiet demand for improved image quality and performance, though both refreshes are still massively held back by the Jaguar cores. But graphically the systems look great at above 1080p resolutions. No doubt.

The rumors of MS having a lower end SKU to follow Scarlett Anaconda are founded (Lockhart), and it makes sense because there is a huge difference in performance required for 4K and 1080p, esp when considering ray tracing. A 6 TFLOP machine could cover this as the Xbox One X will lack the massive CPU processing capability an octo-core Zen 2 processor brings to the table. But I would argue that such a machine would not get released until a year or two later, since the XB1X and Lockhart would be competing against eachother until XBone releases trickle to a close. RT could make the real difference though, even at the same base TFLOP as a preceding console, assuming the RT hardware is comprised of specialized units a la Turing. But knowing AMD, I could see them devising a unit useful for RT or other general rendering tasks instead of sitting their idling in software that foregoes RT.