Howard Stringer: Playstation Network will be expanding!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gmastersexay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gmastersexay
Member since 2003 • 3831 Posts

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9843429-7.html?tag=head

"One of the first examples of this strategy will be an expansion of the PlayStation Network. The network now is mostly used by gamers. Sony wants to turn it into a platform to deliver video, too. Sony will hold a press conference in two months to discuss changes to the PlayStation 3."

Sony usually has a event (Gamer's Day) in March so it will most likely be then.

gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts

PSN Premiere Subscription $49.99 per year

PSN Standard Free

Just a hunch.

XTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XTy
Member since 2006 • 2434 Posts

PSN Standard Free

Just a hunch.

gromit007

No, the Premiere would have to offer more for that to work. PSN is free, it may not be as good as XBLIVE, but free is cool.

bezaire2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bezaire2005
Member since 2005 • 3635 Posts
I think PSN is definitly on the verge of a payment plan. I've seen the same scenario playout with sony and it's fans for a while now:Sony fans will continuously deny that Sony will ever charge for online, than Sony will announce that it is going to charge for online, and Sony fans will scramble to justify it. It was that way with rumble, the $600 price point, the delay...etc.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Sony online store better add some freaking PSone games.. only about a dozen titles and its been out for a year.
-L-U-I-S-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 -L-U-I-S-
Member since 2006 • 3665 Posts

PSN Standard Free

Just a hunch.

gromit007

I doubt that should the PSN have som sort of premium subscription itwill be $50. I dont think it will get that high

bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts
sony will never charge to play games online!!! however there was talking about a service where u can download all the psn games an so on that usually cost to buy that is all and its a good thing, paying to play online is a joke.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts
I hope they add in-game XMB and a better friends list. Well actually in-game XMB is more important.
jackvegas21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jackvegas21
Member since 2007 • 3157 Posts
I hope at least Home remains free.
gmastersexay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gmastersexay
Member since 2003 • 3831 Posts

[QUOTE="bigLLL"]sony will never charge to play games online!!! however there was talking about a service where u can download all the psn games an so on that usually cost to buy that is all and its a good thing, paying to play online is a joke.farrell2k

LIVE has 10M paying members. Sony is salivating over that amount of money coming in on a yearly basis. Don't be foolish. PSN will not always be free. 500M / year is too much to pass up. If the competition is doing it, and people are willing to pay, Somy will do it as well.

PSN might not always be free.

Those 10 million are both Silver and Gold members. Silver members do not pay.

Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts

I think PSN is definitly on the verge of a payment plan. I've seen the same scenario playout with sony and it's fans for a while now:Sony fans will continuously deny that Sony will ever charge for online, than Sony will announce that it is going to charge for online, and Sony fans will scramble to justify it. It was that way with rumble, the $600 price point, the delay...etc. bezaire2005

If they were going to be charging for PSN, then HOME wouldn't be FREE. And it is...

wmc540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wmc540
Member since 2006 • 2620 Posts
[QUOTE="farrell2k"]

[QUOTE="bigLLL"]sony will never charge to play games online!!! however there was talking about a service where u can download all the psn games an so on that usually cost to buy that is all and its a good thing, paying to play online is a joke.gmastersexay

LIVE has 10M paying members. Sony is salivating over that amount of money coming in on a yearly basis. Don't be foolish. PSN will not always be free. 500M / year is too much to pass up. If the competition is doing it, and people are willing to pay, Somy will do it as well.

5 million gold. 250,000,000 a year

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50647 Posts
[QUOTE="gmastersexay"][QUOTE="farrell2k"]

[QUOTE="bigLLL"]sony will never charge to play games online!!! however there was talking about a service where u can download all the psn games an so on that usually cost to buy that is all and its a good thing, paying to play online is a joke.wmc540

If they were to use dedicated servers for 50 bucks a year, either system, I would pay that in a second.

Edit: I don't know why I quoted you, but whatever lol.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
[QUOTE="gmastersexay"][QUOTE="farrell2k"]

[QUOTE="bigLLL"]sony will never charge to play games online!!! however there was talking about a service where u can download all the psn games an so on that usually cost to buy that is all and its a good thing, paying to play online is a joke.wmc540

how much of this goes to the pockets?...how much of this cash is going to the extended warranty? or the 4billion dollar hold the gaming division had with xbox......sony isnt in such a whole...they are turning profit in there gaming division every day
Avatar image for Truffle-Shuffle
Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Truffle-Shuffle
Member since 2007 • 455 Posts

It's good to see Howard hasn't given up on the PS3

campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 campbell1874
Member since 2006 • 1920 Posts
[QUOTE="wmc540"][QUOTE="gmastersexay"][QUOTE="farrell2k"]

[QUOTE="bigLLL"]sony will never charge to play games online!!! however there was talking about a service where u can download all the psn games an so on that usually cost to buy that is all and its a good thing, paying to play online is a joke.stereointegrity

how much of this goes to the pockets?...how much of this cash is going to the extended warranty? or the 4billion dollar hold the gaming division had with xbox......sony isnt in such a whole...they are turning profit in there gaming division every day

I thought they were still making heavy losses on the PS3 and still not selling high enough amount of games?

Sony can't charge anything untill they at least match the xbox live services that improve games like the ability to invite friends when your playing a game no matter if the other person is playing a different game. Also the ability to send messages when your in game.

CHRIS_K_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CHRIS_K_UK
Member since 2007 • 215 Posts
Videos? I don't want no videos.. I want games... It should all be about the games, this is sony's and PS3's downfall, they always put the blu ray first and thegames last.
v-vega75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 v-vega75
Member since 2006 • 414 Posts
[QUOTE="wmc540"][QUOTE="gmastersexay"][QUOTE="farrell2k"]

[QUOTE="bigLLL"]sony will never charge to play games online!!! however there was talking about a service where u can download all the psn games an so on that usually cost to buy that is all and its a good thing, paying to play online is a joke.stereointegrity

i thought both MS and sony take loses on their system. but make money on the sales of games. if this is infact the case. sony still not making profit on the ps3. with only two games selling over 1 mil copies. so please explain how is sony making profit every day.

squallff8_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 squallff8_fan
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts
[QUOTE="stereointegrity"][QUOTE="wmc540"][QUOTE="gmastersexay"][QUOTE="farrell2k"]

[QUOTE="bigLLL"]sony will never charge to play games online!!! however there was talking about a service where u can download all the psn games an so on that usually cost to buy that is all and its a good thing, paying to play online is a joke.campbell1874

I thought they were still making heavy losses on the PS3 and still not selling high enough amount of games?

Sony can't charge anything untill they at least match the xbox live services that improve games like the ability to invite friends when your playing a game no matter if the other person is playing a different game. Also the ability to send messages when your in game.

So we are paying for these amazing features, lol along with some amazing servers which one laggy person can ruin it for us all, lol. Amazing. :P

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

One day Sony is going to need money to cover the cost of the PSN network. More peopleon PSNin the future you are going to see worst problems then XBL had a few weeks ago.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

One day Sony is going to need money to cover the cost of the PSN network. More peopleon PSNin the future you are going to see worst problems then XBL had a few weeks ago.

PS3_3DO

Funny, considering that PSN didn't get any problems like that and XBL is a paid service.

bezaire2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bezaire2005
Member since 2005 • 3635 Posts
[QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

leviathan91

Funny, considering that PSN didn't get any problems like that and XBL is a paid service.

...take into consideration the differences between the number of users.

Blue-Sphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blue-Sphere
Member since 2006 • 1972 Posts
[QUOTE="leviathan91"][QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

bezaire2005

...take into consideration the differences between the number of users.

Beat me to it.
Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts

PS3_3DO

Sony is in no position to start charging for PSN. Its one of their biggest selling points. And besides, they aren't going to charge for PSN, because if they did, they would make you pay for HOME, otherwise you wouldn't be paying for much. And they already stated that HOME is free.