How would you rate Switch's 2018?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
Posted by SolidGame_basic (23384 posts) 7 days, 3 hours ago

Poll: How would you rate Switch's 2018? (55 votes)

10/10 13%
9/10 9%
8/10 29%
7/10 18%
6/10 11%
5 or below 20%

The Switch was a 6/10 for me this year. Even with Smash coming out tomorrow, I didn't have much to look forward toward in terms of new games. I did enjoy games like Celeste and The Messenger on the Switch, but these are multiplat. I didn't buy anything else. I still have games like Mario Rabbids and Sonic Mania to work on. Still, it's a great system, and I wouldn't knock it too much. I'm sure it will have a great year next year. What about you, SW? How would you rate Switch's 2018?

#1 Posted by KBFloYd (21059 posts) -

2017 - 9

2018 - 8

#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (29186 posts) -

It's most interesting indie/old games that popped up in 2018 than anything I give a shit about.

And now that I have a laptop, it's sort of cancelled it out, can get all these games cheaper on Steam.

#3 Posted by Archangel3371 (26431 posts) -

I’d say it was an 8/10 for me. There were quite a few games released for it throughout the year that I really wanted to get for it. Some I have already gotten and enjoyed and a number of them that I still need to get.

#4 Posted by DaVillain- (32975 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

2017 - 9

2018 - 8

I'll go with this as well.

#5 Edited by Planeforger (17816 posts) -

I gave it a 9/10.

It didn't have the Zelda/Mario combo of heavy hitters, but it had 1-2 great games coming out on the eShop every week, all year round.

Year 1 was great but had droughts. Year 2 was much better.

#6 Posted by mojito1988 (3289 posts) -

10/10.

I have never owned 50+ games on a system in the first 2 years. There is so much to do on Switch it is ridiculous. Endless content, and you can take it anywhere. I'm a big handheld gamer, so for me what is not to love about it?

#7 Posted by svaubel (4093 posts) -

An 8/10 this year.

Switch still has been by far my most-used console since it released

#8 Posted by rmiller365 (722 posts) -

6/10 Not that interesting for me. I bought a wii U and bought smash, mario kart, and zelda BOTW for it. I loved BOTW but I don't think I've put 10 hours in smash and MK combined. They just don't appeal to me. I'm also in my 30's so handheld gaming has zero interest for me. It's not a bad system but its definently marketed to a different demographic.

#9 Posted by Speeny (603 posts) -

7 out of 10. 2019 will be a busy year in terms of what I want to play on it. Animal Crossing, as well as the Mario Bros port. Should be fun.

#10 Posted by sakaiXx (4196 posts) -

7.5/10. Great first year but stumbles in 2018 with some barren 6 month leading up to octopath. Glad they pick up steam in november, hope the momentum continues.

#11 Posted by Planeforger (17816 posts) -

@rmiller365: I think portability is much more important to 30 year olds than younger audiences.

Children have a ton of free time at home on the couch. Adults work during the day and often have commitments at night, so it's great to be able to play the Switch in transit or during lunch breaks.

#12 Posted by rmiller365 (722 posts) -

@Planeforger: Not for me personally. When I'm working or running errands that's my task and I play at when it's all done. Lunch breaks would be the only free time I could play when out but I would rather use my phone for entertainment and news. honestly, I have never seen a 30 something person playing a switch in public, but I see someone watching Netflix on their phone at lunch almost everyday.

#13 Posted by FinalFighters (3004 posts) -

i'd rate it a 8/10

Currently playing Mario Odyssy, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and Zelda BOTW and im enjoying the hell out of it (even though BOTW looks like a PS2 game).

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#14 Posted by storm_of_swords (2492 posts) -

8/10

It wasn't as great as last year, but I still enjoyed this year's lineup and thought it was better than what Xbox and PS4 offered me this year.

#15 Posted by Sgt_Crow (5947 posts) -

2017 - 10/10.

2018 - 7/10.

#16 Posted by silkylove (8439 posts) -

It was an 8 for me. Octopath Traveler, Celeste, and Yoku's Island Express were all great. So were Street Fighter 30th, Hollow Knight and The Messenger. Mario Tennis was pretty good.

Could have been a 9 if Yoshi was released. I'm not a huge Pokemon or Smash fan, but I appreciated that those games make this year a 9 or 10 for some people.

#17 Posted by Mandzilla (2110 posts) -

Hmm, I think 8/10 is a fair score here.

#18 Posted by DaVillain- (32975 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

@rmiller365: I think portability is much more important to 30 year olds than younger audiences.

Children have a ton of free time at home on the couch. Adults work during the day and often have commitments at night, so it's great to be able to play the Switch in transit or during lunch breaks.

I'm one of those early 30 year old who finds the portability way more useful then anything else and without it, I wouldn't bother buying a new Nintendo console in this gen. I rarely ever use the Dock mode, it's portability is really what's making me play my Switch more so and by doing so, I can play it while riding on the Bus and sometimes, during my lunch break since I get only 45 minute of a break at work.

I even doubt I'll buy PS5 at all. My PC does everything, I prefer to have all my games in one system that'll be on PC and the Switch to play out of the house. I just don't have the patience anymore to investing more time on consoles due to life & my Career.

#19 Posted by osan0 (15219 posts) -

solid. it got MHGU which is one of the main reasons i got a switch. really enjoy it. massive game too. Octopath was a nice surprise. captain toad is cool. Smash is on my to get list but itll be pushed back to next year before i get it. i still havent even started the expansion to xenoblade 2...or finished the main game :S.

the big switch game for me though was definitely MHGU.

7.5-8/10 for me.

#20 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20253 posts) -

Like a 6. Yesterday was the first time I used it in a long time, because the rest of the year had been barren.

#21 Edited by Telekill (8137 posts) -

I give it a solid 7. Not bad. Not great. Smash Bros saved it for me.

2019 looks to be a much better year for Switch.

#22 Posted by henrythefifth (1935 posts) -

The console has been invisible the whole year. And only niche gamers care about smash bros.

Switch already feels like another WiiU. Unless Nintendo bags some original games for it, its gonna be their last console.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#23 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (27392 posts) -

@mojito1988 said:

10/10.

I have never owned 50+ games on a system in the first 2 years. There is so much to do on Switch it is ridiculous. Endless content, and you can take it anywhere. I'm a big handheld gamer, so for me what is not to love about it?

Same. Normally by the end of a consoles lifetime I accumulate about as many games as I own now for my switch. Well over 20 titles with no sign of slowing down.

#24 Posted by Mandzilla (2110 posts) -

@henrythefifth: I remember back when the Gamecube was supposed to be Nintendo's last console.

#25 Posted by jeezers (1954 posts) -

8/10

highlights were

indie games, tho multiplats i get them all on my switch, i like playing handheld around the house, the messenger,celeste,hollow knight, megaman 11,shovel knight, rocket league, undertale, these games work great for handheld. Really love this hybrid console

octopath, like holy shit i loved playing this game, surprisingly because im not big on turn based rpgs's but i had alot of fun with this one, it was an unexpected gem for me this year that i originally wasnt even going to try.

mario party, toads treasure tracker, mario tennis, and pokemon go even though are not Amazing games are all good exclusive games, and i plan to pick them up after some price dops and sales

Smash ultimate has more characters or stages than any fighting game ive seen. this is the best 4 player couch multiplayer game this gen, nintendo is king of the couch multiplayer scene.

#26 Posted by pyro1245 (4259 posts) -

None of the first party games released this year appeal to me, but it's great as a portable indie machine.

Octopath is pretty dope too.

7/10

#27 Posted by Techhog89 (3090 posts) -
@mandzilla said:

@henrythefifth: I remember back when the Gamecube was supposed to be Nintendo's last console.

He's trolling and in an extremely low-effort way. Ignore him.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#28 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5520 posts) -

I'd think I'd go with a 9/10. I've only had it since it August, but I just love it and it's my main system now. I use it all the time, and I've already got a pretty big library for it. There's still a ton of games I haven't gotten yet.

Avatar image for appleinventions
#29 Edited by AppleInventions (1 posts) -

Smash is gonna be the greatest game of all time so that alone is something to consider.

#30 Posted by KungfuKitten (25967 posts) -

I have yet to play Smash. Without Smash hmmm a 7/10? I wasn't like blown away by it but the indies and 3rd party kept me entertained at least.

#31 Edited by KungfuKitten (25967 posts) -

@jeezers said:

8/10

highlights were

indie games, tho multiplats i get them all on my switch, i like playing handheld around the house, the messenger,celeste,hollow knight, megaman 11,shovel knight, rocket league, undertale, these games work great for handheld. Really love this hybrid console

octopath, like holy shit i loved playing this game, surprisingly because im not big on turn based rpgs's but i had alot of fun with this one, it was an unexpected gem for me this year that i originally wasnt even going to try.

mario party, toads treasure tracker, mario tennis, and pokemon go even though are not Amazing games are all good exclusive games, and i plan to pick them up after some price dops and sales

Smash ultimate has more characters or stages than any fighting game ive seen. this is the best 4 player couch multiplayer game this gen, nintendo is king of the couch multiplayer scene.

You're gonna be happy in 2019 because Killer Queen Black is going to rule the couch in 2019 and it's for the Switch.

#32 Edited by ellos (1703 posts) -

A solid 8 It hasn't been the best year on Nintendo side but ending strong with Smash. Octopath and Indies carried the year I still have to migrate from steam when it comes to indies. Personally I eagerly wait for the other series like MP hopefully next year.

#33 Posted by KungfuKitten (25967 posts) -

@ellos: Every time I start listing the 2019 games I smile, it's looking glorious.

#34 Edited by Sam3231 (2517 posts) -

It's still a pretty cool system

Mainline Nintendo Stuff and a plethora of great indies make it worthwhile for me

8/10.

#35 Posted by Mandzilla (2110 posts) -
@techhog89 said:
@mandzilla said:

He's trolling and in an extremely low-effort way. Ignore him.

Yeah, you're right.

#36 Posted by Ibacai (13706 posts) -

7/10 it was alright. Not the worst by far but not great by any means either.

#37 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78822 posts) -

Last year, it was a 9. This year, it was a 7. I feel Nintendo slowed down considerably this year. What kept me playing the Switch most of the time this year was finally getting to the games I didn't have time to play last year. Aside from Smash which just came out, Nintendo has only put out two major titles that I got, which was the new Kirby and Mario Aces, both of which I lost interest in rather quickly after I beat them. I think they're going to have a better year next year, simply because of Animal Crossing. That should keep playing the switch for at least three months straight.

#38 Posted by xHedon (32 posts) -

Doing great for a next get system. Should be interesting to see if the next Xbox and PS4 can outsell it.