How would you rank the Just Cause series?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll How would you rank the Just Cause series? (51 votes)

Top tier 4%
Good 25%
Meh 59%
crap 12%

Hello. I would like System Wars opinion on this series. It's pros, it's cons, how to improve it etc...

No Caption Provided
 • 
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 13097 Posts

I only played the second game for a couple hours. Couldn't get into it.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11396 Posts

Can be fun, but pretty so so in general.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#3 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 8279 Posts

Explosions/10.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 2763 Posts

Over 100 hours into Just Cause 2. There was still probably a lot of stuff I hadn't completed/blown up due to the sheer size of the map (I know I didn't finish the game lol). Only real problem I had with it was ordering weapons and vehicles was a pain. AI was pretty bad too, but that just made it more fun. Enemies wouldn't hesitate to drive off cliffs in pursuit of you.

Didn't play much of 3 (I was likely invested in GTA V). Lots of the new features were available as mods in JC2.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#5 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10558 Posts

2 was quite good. the rest have had some good elements but are let down but super generic design and bad writing.

JC3 probably has my favorite wing-suit implementation in a game though, using it with the grapple hook to fly around is great fun

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 17268 Posts

Just cause 2 is best third person open world game. craps all over GTAs.

rest of them are not very good.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 5359 Posts

It's really fun for what it is. I just wish the controls were more precise.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 38398 Posts

2 had the best map for being so large, 3 had the best physics and effects but wasn't as well optimized for consoles and map was much smaller, 4 felt like it struck a balance between those three.

Overall I more enjoyed some of their other titles like Generation Zero, Mad Max, and they co-developing Rage 2 with id Software.

What makes these games fun to me is the mindless gratuitous action. Each game adds new tools of destruction which are fun to just screw around with, like playing with the tethers, or those sticky booster things, stick them to cars, people, the games signature explosive shit it always wants you to blow up, use them in all kinds of creative ways. Might have my progression wrong but I believe it was the third game that added the squirrel suit which is nice to have, and the sticky booster mines or whatever those are. The game's still are very cookie cutter. Gun fights with AI enemies feels so very 6th gen in its simplicity but the action is still very top notch. It is a very cookie cutter game if that matters.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4547 Posts

Overall good series. I wouldn't call it top-tier since I feel like the driving and shooting mechanics could be better, and for all it's size and scale you end up doing a lot of the same stuff over and over. But flying around the huge maps with your grapple, parachute, wingsuit combo is totes X-treeeemz. Good, dumb fun.

Edit: I've only played 2 and 4, if that matters to anyone.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6899 Posts

Meh pretty generic boring open world blowing up shit is fun so is messing with the NPC's and tethering them on windmills but that's about it. Just Cause 4 bored me to tears after playing 3 the series is just meh and 2 is overrated.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 36487 Posts

I like the gameplay (explosions & destruction) but man is it repetitive.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 7102 Posts

Complete garbage and that since the original. These games have nothing else but to run and gun. There's no "video game" in this.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17991 Posts

@SOedipus: " I only played the second game for a couple hours. Couldn't get into it."

Got 3/4 via PS+ and I couldn't get into either one of them.

Chozofication

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chozofication
Member since 2020 • 220 Posts

It's hard to deny the freedom the games have is good, but having played 2 it gets pretty repetitive being so uber powerful all the time, at least that's how it felt after a while. Flying around was really impressive in JC2 on 360, but I don't own the game anymore. It's just, fly around, destroy an area with little resistance, rinse repeat. There was nothing really of note in the world besides blowing up the bases.

I need to play 3 on the ps4 soon to give the series a second chance, I do own it. But first, my current Nioh playthrough, then Vanquish.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 16083 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Just cause 2 is best third person open world game.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 13097 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@SOedipus: " I only played the second game for a couple hours. Couldn't get into it."

Got 3/4 via PS+ and I couldn't get into either one of them.

Yeah, I have those games via PS+ as well. Never even installed them.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 20521 Posts

It's ok... I had fun with JC4, but didn't really get into the others.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 4435 Posts

Pretty meh to average series. I can't say the Just Cause games are the best or worst at anything they do, but they're just not my cup of tea.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 1360 Posts

I find the gameplay pretty repetitive. No. 1 and 2 were okay. When I borrowed no. 3 I got bored and quit after a couple of hours. Just more of the same.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 21631 Posts

When it comes to the JC series, well the one word that i think of is FUN.

If you want great graphics, go watch a Sony game.

If you want a great story, go watch a movie you hack.

But if you want something to chill out in and just **** around in the world, then JC is your game.

I mean i love the silly stuff you can do like getting into a sports car, rolling up to one of those big turbine windmills, attaching a tether to your car and another to the windmill while it flings you into the air and you break off the tether and go flying miles into the air before plummeting down to earth with a thud, good FUN stuff.

I've played every game and completed every game in the series.

Hopefully they announce number 5 this year.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 2964 Posts

I played one of them for like 20 minutes. Poor framerates were nauseating to look at, so I didn't find it very enjoyable.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10826 Posts

Put probably 100 hours into #2, tried getting into 3 but hate the wingsuit.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49326 Posts

Good Fun series. I think the series peaked with JC 2 but I personally kind of like JC 3 a bit better myself.

I wouldn't say they are particularly amazing, but they are more or less the "corny movie" of video games imo. Just over the top, rediculous plot and action and everything.

Very creative ways to take on enemies, though, a lot of fun.

JC 4 sort of ruined the series imo it was just too much of a good-bad thing.

@SOedipus said:

Third game is where it's at, but if you didn't dig the second one at all, you probably won't like the third.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49326 Posts

@i_p_daily: does JC 4 get better? I played it for maybe 3 hours and couldn't really get into it. I've enjoyed the series for the most part.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 21631 Posts

@mrbojangles25: That depends on what you want to get better and what parts you dont like.

MK245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MK245
Member since 2012 • 90 Posts

@SOedipus said:

Same. Played JC2 an hour or two. Lame. Uninstalled.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 13356 Posts

Dumb fun but let's you get pretty creative if you experiment with all your upgrades.

I loved the first two games, but 3 and 4 left me a bit flat.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 7095 Posts

I went with meh.. just never could get into any of them for some reason.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24100 Posts

Solidly good, dumb fun with lots of explosions and speed and bullets and chaos. Harks back to an earlier style of shooter, without so much cutscenes, linearity and pre-scripted sequences, in a crazy and pretty open world. Very buggy, unpolished and stacked with poor AI, though. Work playing through in between "serious" (aka linear Sony cinematic) games though!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 20509 Posts

Can't remember which I played, think just bits of the first two games. But yeah, proper dumb fun games. Just turn the brain off and enjoy. Maybe more to it than that, but that was my takeaway.

Nothing wrong with that either, just wouldn't spend my time on that these days. Always another game I'd rather be playing.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#32 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10558 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@i_p_daily: does JC 4 get better? I played it for maybe 3 hours and couldn't really get into it. I've enjoyed the series for the most part.

yeaaa I had the same experience. I think part of the issue is graphically it was was uglier than JC3 and the gameplay didn't seem much different so I just went "maybe i'll just go back and play JC3 instead"

and then I just didnt play either

the giant tornado was cool at least

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7192 Posts

2 is hard to go back to imo.

3 and 4 have idiotic progression. Have to side content to progress. 3's performance on consoles was unacceptable but if you play it on PC - it's pretty good. Wingsuit + tether + grapple are alot of fun. 4 has some cool new toys but I didn't get into it as much as 3.

If you combine the best aspects of all 2, 3 and 4 you'd get something pretty awesome (Also need to fix up the vehicle controls a bit ), but they haven't been able to put it all together yet.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52079 Posts

JC1 is novel. JC2 is about the only good one, and it's really good. JC3/4 were made by the B-team and it shows. Their best games are JC2 and Mad Max.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 44295 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

Dumb fun but let's you get pretty creative if you experiment with all your upgrades.

I loved the first two games, but 3 and 4 left me a bit flat.

Yea, similar sentiments. It manages to capture that sense of an action movie from 90's, Commando and such, without developing into trying to be a movie at the expense of what it is, namely a video game. At it's best that's what it reminds me of, fantastical 80/90's movies where semblance of realism goes out the window in favor of fun.

But that's primarily "Chaos", where the player is allowed a huge tray or toys or go about it how they please.

Kinda think the actual missions, main and side undermine all these open-ended options by adhering to GTA style theme park, where it's strict linearity.

One thing do like about Just Cause 3, and (for once) is the social features. Up the top right it shows what your friendliest has achieved e.g. longest wingsuit glide becomes a little meta-game itself where can easily spend 30 odd minutes trying to optimize your own score.

The lack of enemy variety seems to undermine the action somewhat as well. You fight tanks, helicopters and ground troops but ultimately point a rocket at it, it's dead. Some basic rock/paper/scissor would help prolong the basic combat from becoming repetitive.

From the 3 played, always felt like a frame for something truly amazing. And playing it, theirs like little glimpses of that in the combat to combat moments.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

Meh pretty generic boring open world blowing up shit is fun so is messing with the NPC's and tethering them on windmills but that's about it. Just Cause 4 bored me to tears after playing 3 the series is just meh and 2 is overrated.

JC2 is only truely great third person open world game. GTA suck so is saints row so is watch dogs so is RDR2 so is AC and on and on.

JC2 manage to make something fun and amazing. lol at calling not only best but only good third person open world game overrated.

sleepnsurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sleepnsurf
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts

Crap ass series just like Ass Creed.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

JC2 is only truely great third person open world game. GTA suck so is saints row so is watch dogs so is RDR2 so is AC and on and on.

JC2 manage to make something fun and amazing. lol at calling not only best but only good third person open world game overrated.

Do you feel it's better than BOTW my freind? Or have you not played it? Can you send a Switch, but will want it back.

Personally, I find the Spiderman hook a lot more funnier can trying to climb up a rainy wall.

JMO.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 329 Posts

I liked JC3 the best, 2 was good as well. I like the series, I was a big fan of mercenaries as a kid and this series kind of scratched that itch for me.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 14799 Posts

Boring repetitive games.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 662 Posts

Only played 3 and 4 and found them pretty dull and generic.... and you know the second is crap if ghost is hyping it!

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup: Im talking about its beat in GTA type games. Otherwise Batman arkham games are best by far.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6899 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

I like open world games with variety going to bases and blowing up red barrels and oil tanks gets old fast. One of the reasons why GTA is so good because it always gives you more things to do. In GTA V I can play tennis, golf, get a lap dance get drunk, play darts, go hunting, go to the movies, run a triathlon, go to a shooting range, have night street races, race, dirt bikes, 4x4's race jet skies ect... JC2 is overrated AF and Rico is a boring protagonist.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 8507 Posts

It’s a franchise that really demonstrates why story and framing matters. Goofing around in a physics sandbox will be fun for only so long. But it won’t keep you motivated. This is why the “it’s all about gameplay” crowd are wrong and Sony has gotten it so right!

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

I like open world games with variety going to bases and blowing up red barrels and oil tanks gets old fast. One of the reasons why GTA is so good because it always gives you more things to do. In GTA V I can play tennis, golf, get a lap dance get drunk, play darts, go hunting, go to the movies, run a triathlon, go to a shooting range, have night street races, race, dirt bikes, 4x4's race jet skies ect... JC2 is overrated AF and Rico is a boring protagonist.

Rico is terrible protagonist sure. JC story is bad sure and its no masterpiece by any mean but it is fun.

in GTA you can play tennis but who cares? waste of time, go to movies? lol terrible useless feature that is even in RDR2 we play games to play not for some watching movies or get lap dances. this is worse than movie games.

rockstar doesnot know how to make game a fun and they want to deliver movie or TV show rather than game. I rather fly on parachute, grapple a chopper or plane and blow the crap out of anything than doing chores in GTA or RDR2.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 uninspiredcup

Rico is terrible protagonist sure.

E's Angry Joe.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 154

#47 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 13500 Posts

Can be a fun sandbox to play in, but overall shallow story and missions don't keep you engaged.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup

@BassMan: Yea, this is kind of my problem with it. They give you all these incredibly fun tools where you can be creative and do open-ended stuff, basically, make your own action sequences.

But the actual missions are GTA3 shit from 2001.

This itself can be fun. But it squanders the games biggest asset.