How would you feel if MS reverted to traditional exclusives?

#1 Posted by ahmedkhan1994 (714 posts) -

Hypothetically speaking, if MS somehow catches up to the quality/ volume that sony has been putting out these past couple years, in the next 2-3 years. How would you feel if xbox games became truely exclusive again? In other words, do away with play anywhere and be like Sony.

While I own all systems and a pc, play anywhere really pissed me off cause it invalidated my Xbox one since ive been primarily Xbox since 360. On the other hand I can play Xbox exclusives on my pc while my friends are on xbox.......

My personal opinion is that MS NEEDS to abandon play anywhere if they want to promote Xbox. I agree with the general narrative on system wars that the exclusives define the system. The problem is that it's a lose lose situation for MS.

If they go back to traditional exclusives. They will be hailed as the epitome of anti consumer. If they keep play anywhere, they have no exclusives and will continue to get trashed like they have been the past 2-3 years.

#2 Posted by ReCloud (4418 posts) -

I'd love, it would put more fire in the competition and they'd stop trying to force this shitty GaaS model.

#3 Posted by Archangel3371 (28514 posts) -

Well it wouldn’t change anything for me personally as I’m a console gamer who currently prefers the Xbox systems. I also get the other consoles for their exclusives.

#4 Posted by npiet1 (2515 posts) -

@ahmedkhan1994: I don't know if that getting rid of play anywhere would really make a difference in them getting thrashed, not all ps4 players have Pc that's can play games. Plus even if the console does terribly the games won't because they have 2 platforms that there on, instead of only 1 like Sony. Like I wonder what the difference in profit is between consoles and games. I imagine that the Sony and MS make more off games then they do the console.

#5 Posted by ahmedkhan1994 (714 posts) -

@npiet1: the problem with many people and the general narrative is that there is no incentive to buy an Xbox since the games are on pc. Regardless of quality. And while some may downplay it, it's really hurting the Xbox market.

#6 Edited by Sancho_Panzer (852 posts) -

I think having some kind of a cross-buy bridge between PC and console is a good thing, and honestly I'm not one of those people who's going to light a torch at the first sniff of GAAS either. With that said, clearly having titles you can't play on your competitors' systems is important for adoption in the console space. I don't think PC owners would feel bitter about not having access to all Xbox's games and it would probably make a lot of sense, especially now, to have at least some premium titles targeted exclusively at Xbox's core customers.

#7 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3794 posts) -

It will be good.

#8 Posted by npiet1 (2515 posts) -

@ahmedkhan1994 said:

@npiet1: the problem with many people and the general narrative is that there is no incentive to buy an Xbox since the games are on pc. Regardless of quality. And while some may downplay it, it's really hurting the Xbox market.

But how is it hurting the xbox's market when not all play on PC, Console's at release usually cost more to produce than what they sell for and that as long as the ms makes money it doesn't matter where its coming from. Like I get it here where a lot of people have all the consoles. but that's not the case generally. Most don't. They only have 1.

#9 Edited by Creepywelps (2964 posts) -

Play anywhere helps MS far more than it hurts. Not sure how making more money while simultaneously increasing their software market share could be construed as a negative.

#10 Edited by 2Chalupas (7105 posts) -

If they do it legit and build games from the ground up then great, but sadly I'm not sure MS is capable of doing that at this point.

I think MS is mostly ready to wrap up the gen, and if they are ramping up anything in a big way it could only be to start investing in next gen.

I would think they'd at least have another Halo game or something for this gen though. Can't completely kill it off for another year (or more likely two). But I also don't see them doing a huge ramp up of XB1 games. It'll probably just be something for the holidays this year, then just the bare minimum to get them through next year (which could be another Gears or Forza or something like that). If they don't at least do another Halo + Gears this gen (let alone try to launch a major IP), there would probably be a revolt.

#11 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (19252 posts) -

@creepywelps: Agreed.

Some people are too hung up on Play Anywhere... if you're a console-only gamer (like me), how does it affect you if they also release their exclusives on Win10 PC? I don't get it.

#12 Edited by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

@creepywelps said:

Play anywhere helps MS far more than it hurts. Not sure how making more money while simultaneously increasing their software market share could be construed as a negative.

You think the few sales MS is getting from those sub-par exclusive games releases make up for the unsold units of consoles they may have gotten to directly support the xbox ecosystem?

MS has had Play anywhere since 2015..annnnnnd they are still getting rekt in sales by both Sony and Nintendo SINGLE PLATFORM exclusives when ever they launch.

#13 Edited by Ant_17 (12862 posts) -

Nah, lems like sharing with herms. Plus the Bone is almost dead, no need to try and bring it to life.

#14 Edited by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

For once, I just wish people would cut the shit on this subject. If a third party wanted to make a game exclusive to the XBox, Microsoft would only have two choices in the matter. Either let that game be exclusive or just miss out. All of this crap about Xbox not having exclusives is for one reason and one reason only, the sales would be terribad. Just look at what happened to almost every exclusive game that came to the XBox in its first year. If the tables were turned and XBox One was selling 80 million consoles, you can bet your ass we would not be having a discussion about this. Some subjects and narratives with System Wars are easier to understand or empathize with than others. The excuses for not only not having third-party exclusives but no first-party exclusives this generation is preposterous. The console is treading water, and it is absolute weaksauce to think that MS voluntarily takes the position they do on software because of whatever fairytale you spin up in System Wars.

#15 Edited by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -

As much as I’d like that I don’t see them ever going back to that model ever again. MS has given up on the Xbone.

#16 Posted by Creepywelps (2964 posts) -

@tgob89: I dont think you know what their sales on pc are. If you do, link it. But if you think pc gamers would just go out and buy an xbox since they got rid of play anywhere... You're sorely mistaken.

#17 Posted by pdogg93 (1668 posts) -

Is this really a surprise? Look what happened for the last few years of the 360. They abondoned it. Microsoft’s long term vision changes every day.

#18 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

@creepywelps said:

@tgob89: I dont think you know what their sales on pc are. If you do, link it. But if you think pc gamers would just go out and buy an xbox since they got rid of play anywhere... You're sorely mistaken.

To be fair, their first-party output in terms of quality has been anemic. That could always change.

#19 Edited by Sancho_Panzer (852 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Some people are too hung up on Play Anywhere... if you're a console-only gamer (like me), how does it affect you if they also release their exclusives on Win10 PC? I don't get it.

Looking from a PC gamer's perspective, I don't get it either, but apparently it does matter. Maybe it's just for bragging rights - being able to go into a comments section and go "This is great, and you can't play it.", or maybe it's a psychological thing - "I have a PC, even if it's a potato, so I won't buy MS's console because I could theoretically play these games anyway."

Again, as a PC gamer, it's nice to see MS focusing on my system more lately, but I won't be bummed if I don't get a few console-oriented games from MS studios or end up playing them a bit later on PC, and since it does seem to matter to a lot of Xbox owners, why not, I guess.

I still think there's a lot of value in cross-buy/cross play and I do think MS needs to do something to address the uneven playing field Japanese exclusives provide on competing consoles. Hopefully for MS, they can find a way to invest more in both their gaming bases, whilst still providing the exclusion the barnyard seems to crave.

#20 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19252 posts) -

@sancho_panzer said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Looking from a PC gamer's perspective, I don't get it either, but apparently it does matter. Maybe it's just for bragging rights - being able to go into a comments section and go "This is great, and you can't play it.", or maybe it's a psychological thing - "I have a PC, even if it's a potato, so I won't buy MS's console because I could theoretically play these games anyway."

Again, as a PC gamer, it's nice to see MS focusing on my system more lately, but I won't be bummed if I don't get a few console-oriented games from MS studios or end up playing them a bit later on PC, and since it does seem to matter to a lot of Xbox owners, why not, I guess.

I still think there's a lot of value in cross-buy/cross play and I do think MS needs to do something to address the uneven playing field Japanese exclusives provide on competing consoles. Hopefully for MS, they can find a way to invest more in both their gaming bases, whilst still providing the exclusion the barnyard seems to crave.

This is probably one of the reasons... just fanboy wars nonsense.

#21 Posted by Basinboy (13927 posts) -

I would calmly take a sip from my glass, and quietly set it back down.

#22 Posted by Pedro (35602 posts) -

Firstly there is no going back on Play Anywhere. Secondly only dumb fanboys think that people who had no intention of buying an Xbox would all of a sudden buy one if they remove the feature. Most gamers don't buy multiple consoles. They stick with that they have until the new batch of systems are released.

#23 Edited by BassMan (10646 posts) -

Play Anywhere is amazing and is what the whole industry should move towards. Only dumb fanboys get offended when their games can be played on another platform.

#24 Edited by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

Personally, i wouldnt feel shat, since i dont like their exclusives that much. Everything is on PC and i havent touch any of their big exclusives yet aside Quantum break to see what was all about.

But i guess if this happens many lems will be happy again and System wars might get way more lively again.

#25 Posted by robert_sparkes (3311 posts) -

They should revert to having 3 top exclusives a year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
#26 Posted by deactivated-5c18005f903a1 (4626 posts) -

I find it really weird that somebody would be pissed off with play anywhere. I guess I just don't really quite understand the mindset of the territorial fanboy.

#27 Posted by phbz (4657 posts) -

If anything Play Anywhere is a way for MS to transition out of the console market. I don't think it's going anywhere. But anyway MS needs to invest in games otherwise it will be hard to achieve success in... gaming.

#28 Posted by Howmakewood (5960 posts) -

Would mean I'd potentially have to buy another console that I rather not have, so it would suck.

#29 Posted by sealionact (4154 posts) -
@ahmedkhan1994 said:

The incentive to buy an Xbox is that you don't have to buy a PC. Not everybody sees the PC as the be all and end all of gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c746fddbe486
#30 Posted by deactivated-5c746fddbe486 (193 posts) -

Xbox & PS4 have released the same amount of first party games

Xbox

Forza 5

Forza 6

Forza Horizon 2

Forza Horizon 3

Halo 5

Halo Wars 2

Gears 4

Sunset Overdrive

Quantum Break

Ryse

Sea of Thieves

State of Decay 2

ReCore

PS4

Infamous 2

Ratchet & Clank

Uncharted 4

God of War

GT Sport

Horizon zero dawn

Detroit Becoming Human

Killzone SF

Driveclub

The Order 1886

The Last Guardian

Bloodborne

Gravity Rush 2

Unreleased games

Xbox

Crackdown 3

Forza Horizon 4

E3 new game announcements

PS4

Spider-Man

Ghost of Tsushima

Death Stranding

TLOU 2

E3 new game announments

#31 Posted by sealionact (4154 posts) -
@quadknight said:

As much as I’d like that I don’t see them ever going back to that model ever again. MS has given up on the Xbone.

Strange. Could have sworn they were doing a 2 hour long Xbox presentation at E3 ..... doesn't sound like they've "Given up" yet.....

#32 Posted by npiet1 (2515 posts) -

@sealionact said:
@ahmedkhan1994 said:

The incentive to buy an Xbox is that you don't have to buy a PC. Not everybody sees the PC as the be all and end all of gaming.

this, most people I know don't know anything about pc's, let alone gaming on them. they think they need to spend over a $1000 to game on one or they have a mac and cant game on it.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#33 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (5002 posts) -

People are just waiting for Microsoft to release some good exclusives. Well, I guess they'll technically never be actual exclusives... but whatever.

#34 Posted by robert_sparkes (3311 posts) -

The funny thing is if ms exclusives were reversed and sea of thieves 2 and state of decay 2 earlier in the lifespan and the rest now we wouldn't have a problem. The problem we have is ms released them all at once and were left with nothing.

#35 Edited by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@creepywelps said:

Please MS was making more money on Gears on 360 than it did with Gears on xbox one + PC,games like Halo use to sell more than 10 million copies easy,now they don't reach 7,Gears 3 sold more on xbox 360 than quantum break sold on PC+xbox one.

There is no real incentive to buy an xbox if all its games are on PC,even worse on PC xbox live is Free on xbox one is not.

#37 Posted by robert_sparkes (3311 posts) -

MS are becoming a subscription based service that much is pretty obvious by there moves with gamepass.

#38 Posted by xantufrog (11685 posts) -

This is a console-centric view. As a PC gamer, it's a win that they have Play Anywhere, and I love the fact that I can play with my Xbox friends on games without buying another stupid box and paying for online to do it.

I really don't think Play Anywhere is the problem. The problem is that their "ecosystem exclusives" are relatively few and tend to be mediocre or sequels. You can take Play Anywhere away, but it won't instill any more brand pride for things like SoT and SoD2. Waiting for the next Gears and Halo? It's just a bland platform these days. I'm sorry, but the games have to define it better with more variety.

If anything, I'd argue Play Anywhere and their GaaS initiatives are what are keeping the division afloat. SoD2? They got 50 from me because and ONLY because of Play Anywere. There is no reason they'd have that money if not for the fact that I could play with friends.

They literally shat out the Age of Empires remaster and still haven't fixed basic critical GUI bugs after all this time. Actually as far as I can tell none of the bugs I wrote about in my review have been addressed yet. As far as I can tell, they took our money and ran.

They need to step it up. It's as simple as that.

#39 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@tibua said:

Xbox

Forza 5

Forza 6

Forza Horizon 2

Forza Horizon 3

Halo 5

Halo Wars 2

Gears 4

Sunset Overdrive

Quantum Break

Ryse

Sea of Thieves

State of Decay 2

ReCore

PS4

Infamous 2

Ratchet & Clank

Uncharted 4

God of War

GT Sport

Horizon zero dawn

Detroit Becoming Human

Killzone SF

Driveclub

The Order 1886

The Last Guardian

Bloodborne

Gravity Rush 2

MLB 2015

MLB 2016

MLB 2017

MLB 2018

Until Dawn

Little big planet 3

Resogun

Tearaway

The tomorrow children

Ni oh

Knack

Knack 2

Unreleased games

Xbox

Crackdown 3

Forza Horizon 4

PS4

Spider-Man

Ghost of Tsushima

Death Stranding

TLOU 2

E3 new game announments

Odd you accounted Forza yearly releases but you didn't do the same with MLB which actually charts on NPD like 3 or 4 months each year.

Oh by the way score wise comparing is even worse,those bold were added by me i am sure there are more + remasters and other sony publish games.

#40 Posted by npiet1 (2515 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@tibua said:

Xbox

Forza 5

Forza 6

Forza Horizon 2

Forza Horizon 3

Halo 5

Halo Wars 2

Gears 4

Sunset Overdrive

Quantum Break

Ryse

Sea of Thieves

State of Decay 2

ReCore

PS4

Infamous 2

Ratchet & Clank

Uncharted 4

God of War

GT Sport

Horizon zero dawn

Detroit Becoming Human

Killzone SF

Driveclub

The Order 1886

The Last Guardian

Bloodborne

Gravity Rush 2

MLB 2015

MLB 2016

MLB 2017

MLB 2018

Until Dawn

Little big planet 3

Resogun

Tearaway

The tomorrow children

Ni oh

Knack

Knack 2

Unreleased games

Xbox

Crackdown 3

Forza Horizon 4

PS4

Spider-Man

Ghost of Tsushima

Death Stranding

TLOU 2

E3 new game announments

Odd you accounted Forza yearly releases but you didn't do the same with MLB which actually charts on NPD like 3 or 4 months each year.

Oh by the way score wise comparing is even worse,those bold were added by me i am sure there are more + remasters and other sony publish games.

ps4 is also missing medieval remaster which is coming, but xbox has creators collection which has 264 exclusives there all terrible unless your 5 or younger

#41 Edited by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:
@creepywelps said:

To be fair, their first-party output in terms of quality has been anemic. That could always change.

Thank you!

Make quality games on a decent system and they will come.

PS3 proved that starting in 2008, The Switch proved that at launch and during it's first year on the market..and PS4 continues to prove the upon every new high quality AAA release.

There was an excuse about Xbox having the weakest hardware, that's not a excuse anymore! But MS's effort on exclusive content continues to be shitty with little to no effort. Of course no one will buy your system is the games are mediocre.

Make great games and make them exclusive and people will buy your console, point blank period!

#42 Edited by Ross_the_Boss6 (3978 posts) -

I think the markets are separate, so it’s not hurting MS to release their games on PC as well. The reason their “exclusives” aren’t selling systems is because they aren’t very good. If MS had something on the level of God of War you better believe they’d sell some Bones.

I would be bummed if they dropped play anywhere. I prefer playing on my PC, but I also like knowing I can hop into my living room and continue my game on my Xbox. Great feature, very pro consumer.

#43 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

No, that's being anti-consumer like Phony and Nintendont whereas MS is for the gamers by the gamers... Jazz. :P

#44 Posted by LimitlessHalf (19 posts) -

I'll get to my answer in a moment!

Play anywhere is becoming an option everywhere. Steam pushed it and is still pushing it, Microsoft adopted it, and I'm pretty sure PlayStation has started offering it as an option (right?).

The real proof in the pudding is the newest widespread push for play anywhere, the 'Stream it' option! Needing the console to play on the pc was fine, but now you can just stream a game you don't have downloaded or own a disc for directly to your gaming device.

Ok, to my answer. I hope (for myself) that Xbox goes back to their old style of exclusive games. Because it was horrible. And I hate Xbox. Sony had fantastic games back in the day, while Xbox had Halo. Ha! As a PC first-person shooter player through my teenage years and all throughout my 20s, Halo, and my friends who liked it, frustrated the hell out of me. It was so SLOW! OMG IT WAS SO SLOW! Now, although I enjoyed Gears of War's multiplayer mode with the endless waves of monsters, that game still was just a basic 2 person oversized slow moving shooter.

So, in my opinion, if you've comparing exclusives, Sony has dominated. For Xbox to go back to their old model of exclusives, they would really be relying on a lot of people not understanding how video games, video game communities, and the options available, actually work. Which in this day and age is practically impossible. And since I don't like Xbox, I'd be quite pleased if they went back to that model. It might mean the end of annoying competition for the two powerhouses of gaming that I actually like, PC and PlayStation.

Having said all that, my son has an Xbox and he would be quite unhappy if it suddenly bombed and developers fled in droves.

#45 Posted by freedomfreak (51267 posts) -

Wouldn't care. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

#46 Edited by KungfuKitten (26793 posts) -

I think they have to decide on a strategy. Right now it feels like they are in between two places. Either they go full on competitive with Sony or they are happy with solidifying their sales as a 3rd platform gaming console. With the Xbox One X it felt like they were pushing to be competitive again, to appeal to a hardcore audience, but that doesn't really seem to be the case since nothing really happened alongside the launch of the X.

One very good thing about the position they are in is, if they want to continue making steady sales, they can keep using that Xbox One X for a long time. Maybe the next 8 years. And the parts will be cheaper than another console with similar power. So they can remain price competitive as a 3rd party console.

#47 Posted by GarGx1 (10929 posts) -

Why would they go back to only supporting the smaller part of their business? There are many, many more windows 10 users than Xbox One consoles (hell, there are 100's of millions more than PS4 owners as well) and they are all seen as potential customers to sell a game to. Going back to console exclusive games would be a dumb move.

Sony and Nintendo can do this because they are not catering to more than one customer market and more over it's not their smallest customer base.

#48 Posted by cainetao11 (36814 posts) -

I don't care. I buy things i want to make use of. I don't need to justify it to anyone nor myself. I accept myself and therefore buy what i want providing i can afford it.

It means jack and dung to me who can play what on what hardware.

#49 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3794 posts) -

@npiet1 said:
@tormentos said:
@tibua said:

Xbox

Forza 5

Forza 6

Forza Horizon 2

Forza Horizon 3

Halo 5

Halo Wars 2

Gears 4

Sunset Overdrive

Quantum Break

Ryse

Sea of Thieves

State of Decay 2

ReCore

PS4

Infamous 2

Ratchet & Clank

Uncharted 4

God of War

GT Sport

Horizon zero dawn

Detroit Becoming Human

Killzone SF

Driveclub

The Order 1886

The Last Guardian

Bloodborne

Gravity Rush 2

MLB 2015

MLB 2016

MLB 2017

MLB 2018

Until Dawn

Little big planet 3

Resogun

Tearaway

The tomorrow children

Ni oh

Knack

Knack 2

Unreleased games

Xbox

Crackdown 3

Forza Horizon 4

PS4

Spider-Man

Ghost of Tsushima

Death Stranding

TLOU 2

E3 new game announments

ps4 is also missing medieval remaster which is coming, but xbox has creators collection which has 264 exclusives there all terrible unless your 5 or younger

Ryse, Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive are 3rd party exclusives right? If so than Yakuza 0, Kiwami and 6 should all be counted for PS4 as well. Also up coming game for PS4 is missing Day's Gone and Dream!

#50 Posted by Howmakewood (5960 posts) -

@ni6htmare01: both lists have non first party games, terrible list