How will The Witcher change for console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Some of my colleagues fear the game will be "dumbed down" for console - I don't necessarily know or believe that this will be the case.

But how do you think the Witcher will change for console?

One of the concerns I would have for the game would be the technical front. There are a lot of load screen in the PC Version. Length ones at that. I'll be interested to see how they correct this.

Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Some of my colleagues fear the game will be "dumbed down" for console - I don't necessarily know or believe that this will be the case.

I feel it will be dumbed down by controlls. I jut dont see how the game is going to effectivily work with a controller. Hey I could be wrong but thats what I feel.
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#3 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

I Imagine that it will have easier controls (for obvious reasons)

And probably less writing and more action at a faster pace.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Killfox

I feel it will be dumbed down by controlls. I jut dont see how the game is going to effectivily work with a controller. Hey I could be wrong but thats what I feel.

Yeah, controls and interface will take the biggest hits.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 biggest_loser
Hm. I don't know about that. In the combat you have to "click" at the correct time to build the combo - this could really suit the button mashing on the controller though.
XB360_John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XB360_John
Member since 2008 • 302 Posts

it'll look better according to the devs. they also said a gamepad would better suit the sword combat.

so......a must buy for me!

XB360_John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XB360_John
[QUOTE="Killfox"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

yeah because the combat is really compicated on the pc :roll:
gdp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gdp72
Member since 2007 • 1270 Posts

It will be different by being inferior to the PC version. /thread!

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts
Yeah, controls and interface will take the biggest hits.

Legendaryscmt
I doubt it. According to CD Projekt, they're going with a completely new control system. They aren't trying to force the controllers to work with the old system, they're building a new system, based around the controllers. Now, if you can trust them completely, they claim that this new combat system works better than the old one ever did. How true that is, I don't know, and we probably won't know for quite a while, but certainly, the game hasn't been worsened.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
[QUOTE="Legendaryscmt"]Yeah, controls and interface will take the biggest hits.

agentfred

I doubt it. According to CD Projekt, they're going with a completely new control system. They aren't trying to force the controllers to work with the old system, they're building a new system, based around the controllers. Now, if you can trust them completely, they claim that this new combat system works better than the old one ever did. How true that is, I don't know, and we probably won't know for quite a while, but certainly, the game hasn't been worsened.

Well, there have been some good PC to console ports, so I woudln't doubt it.

Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts
[QUOTE="XB360_John"][QUOTE="Killfox"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Way to attack a simple comment I made. Oh im sorry I didnt put IMO. I forget this is SW where logic and opinions are not welcome.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10143 Posts
Obviously, the amount of commands you give the player is significantly reduced to fit on a controller. The gameplay will be streamlined a little bit. But the depth will still be there. The entire game is going to be redesigned to fit the commands of the controller, so this wont be a cheap port. The complexity of the story, the setting, and the characters will still be present and that's the important thing.
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
I thought it's a different engine so the technical issues might be non-existant, afaik the PC version uses a heavily modified version of a very old engine hence prolly the loading times. Combat will naturally be changed, but I don't think that counts as "dumbing down" as it's not all that tactical in PC version either. The game's main appeal are the choices and detailed and lively gameworld, don't see any reason those would be gimped down. My only worry would be the mature content, there's lot of swearing, gore and nudity in the game, and personally I feel it's a big part of the game's atmosphere so I hope they won't tone it down too much. The whole potion creation and inventory system will prolly be heavily revamped too, I don't see it as a problem tho, it's more of an action-RPG anyway despite the moral choices and stuff so I don't think it will be any worse for it.
Mlauthemighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mlauthemighty
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts
With some effective streamlining, no dumbing down will be needed for this title. This game has very simple controls on the pc as well.
XB360_John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XB360_John
[QUOTE="XB360_John"][QUOTE="Killfox"] I feel it will be dumbed down by controlls. I jut dont see how the game is going to effectivily work with a controller. Hey I could be wrong but thats what I feel. Killfox

Way to attack a simple comment I made. Oh im sorry I didnt put IMO. I forget this is SW where logic and opinions are not welcome.

way to make an uninformed statement though, i mean really...c'mon who can possibly think the witchers combat is complicated. its 1 step up from WoW. seriously though; dont make statements when you dont know anything, some people will take anything you say because of your "pc elitism" status.
claywalker21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 claywalker21
Member since 2008 • 506 Posts
wut kind of game is witcher can sum give me a summary.plz: )
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 biggest_loser
Hm. Thats true about the engine - it is quite old. But I don't see why they would take the gore out - console has no shortage of gore (Gears 2 etc).
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 biggest_loser
wut kind of game is witcher can sum give me a summary.plz: )claywalker21
Its an action/RPG game - like Diablo. You complete quests, hack up monsters, use potions. There are dialogue options and moral choices - you might choose to spare someone who will help you later on in the game. Its a much better game than Oblivion which it has also been compared to.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
I'm thinking just streamlined controls. But if CD Projekt said that they're not dumbing it down, I'm going to take their word for it.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts
Well, they said that it is going to use an entirely new engine, as well as an entirely new combat engine that has been specifically designed for the console version. Further, they said the new combat engine will work much better and is more fluid than the PC version. There are supposedly hundreds of new animations, added vegetation and a better lighting system as well. So, to say that it will be a "dumbed down cheap port" is hardly accurate I think.
claywalker21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 claywalker21
Member since 2008 • 506 Posts
sounds intresting is there online 4 it? like co-op
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Loads aren't so bad now.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="XB360_John"] way to make an uninformed statement though, i mean really...c'mon who can possibly think the witchers combat is complicated. its 1 step up from WoW. seriously though; dont make statements when you dont know anything, some people will take anything you say because of your "pc elitism" status.

I think its several steps up from WOW and Diablo. You have to know which of the two swords to use. You have to time your attacks. You can use special powers like Stun. You have to change stances as well depending on the situation.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 biggest_loser
sounds intresting is there online 4 it? like co-opclaywalker21
Uhh no. Its Single Player only lol.
XB360_John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XB360_John
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="XB360_John"] way to make an uninformed statement though, i mean really...c'mon who can possibly think the witchers combat is complicated. its 1 step up from WoW. seriously though; dont make statements when you dont know anything, some people will take anything you say because of your "pc elitism" status.

I think its several steps up from WOW and Diablo. You have to know which of the two swords to use. You have to time your attacks. You can use special powers like Stun. You have to change stances as well depending on the situation.

yeah by 1 step up i mean the timing and finishing moves in the swordplay.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="XB360_John"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="XB360_John"] way to make an uninformed statement though, i mean really...c'mon who can possibly think the witchers combat is complicated. its 1 step up from WoW. seriously though; dont make statements when you dont know anything, some people will take anything you say because of your "pc elitism" status.

yeah by 1 step up i mean the timing and finishing moves in the swordplay.

Yes I aware of that as well as the other points I mentioned. Thank you.
Mlauthemighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mlauthemighty
WoW has a more complicated control scheme than The Witcher tbh.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 biggest_loser
WoW has a more complicated control scheme than The Witcher tbh.Mlauthemighty
How? You right click on your opponent and then your character does the rest.
Mlauthemighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mlauthemighty

[QUOTE="Mlauthemighty"]WoW has a more complicated control scheme than The Witcher tbh.biggest_loser
How? You right click on your opponent and then your character does the rest.

The witcher can be controlled entirely by mouse. Combat is basically a matter of you clicking an opponent when your curser changes. Wow is a much more complicated affair. I know there's a more to The Witcher than merely clicking your target but the controls themselves are very simple.