How will no used games affect you?

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rumbalumba (2445 posts) -

Me? A lot.

So many reasons to go against a "no used game" system.

1) can't buy games cheaper. Not every game is worth $60.

2) can't sell games. What are we gonna do once we finish a game? Keep it? We can't even lend them to a friend or give them for free to anyone. THAT JUST PLAIN SUCKS. You either keep them or throw them away.

3) what about games that you missed, or you wanna buy down the line? Imagine wanting to play some niche PSX game today and won't be able to play it unless you buy a new, unopened game. O-U-C-H.

#2 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
By making me entirely uninterested in the platform. There are other ways to generate revenue. Breaking first sale doctrine isn't one of them.
#3 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -
No used games sucks balls.
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
#4 Posted by themagicbum9720 (6536 posts) -
i don't buy used games ever so it won't affect me.
#5 Posted by -Patrick_92- (2168 posts) -

I only buy new, but the way this could effect me is that I wouldn't be able to resell any games I don't play anymore, and I wouldn't be able to borrow a game from a friend, or let a friend borrow a game from me.  I honestly don't care if Sony or MS block used games, but I know a lot of people do.

I think all this talk of blocking used games sales wont actually happen, at least not this gen.  Sony only has a patent (many they never intend to use), and MS would be dumb to block used games if Sony doesn't.  If it does happen, both will do it, cause if one does and the other doesn't, the company that doesn't will lose. 

#6 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
It won't, really. The only games I buy used are quite a bit older than current consoles.
#7 Posted by rumbalumba (2445 posts) -

i don't buy used games ever so it won't affect me.themagicbum9720

Yes but you don't sell games, nor lend them to a friend, nor ask a friend to lend you one? This goes way beyond "purchasing something new".

#8 Posted by Darkslayer16 (3611 posts) -

Don't buy used games or resell so couldn't care less.

#9 Posted by Basinboy (13094 posts) -

Not at all. I dont buy used, only discounted. However, i have been known to LAN every once in awhile and having to tow your console along with your game is tedious. But i dont do that very often any more.

#10 Posted by W1NGMAN- (10101 posts) -

A lot, but there is 0% possibility any console maker will release a console that won't allow used games to be played on their platform.

#11 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
wont affect me at all... i buy new.
#12 Posted by MonsieurX (36744 posts) -

[QUOTE="themagicbum9720"]i don't buy used games ever so it won't affect me.rumbalumba

Yes but you don't sell games, nor lend them to a friend, nor ask a friend to lend you one? This goes way beyond "purchasing something new".

I don't. And I usually wait to see games on sale.
#13 Posted by DISSESHOWEDO (1775 posts) -

I like to keep my games, but from time to time i buy something that i can't stand, so i would like to sell it and buy another more interesting game !

#14 Posted by MBirdy88 (12130 posts) -
1) So you would save your own money and give developers 0 returns, filfthy pirate scum. 2) Filthy pirates sharing goods, those poor developers. 3) oh noes, niche developers don't deserve the same money as blockbuster casual crapfest developers Cool Story bro, cry more :D
#15 Posted by rumbalumba (2445 posts) -

I like to keep my games, but from time to time i buy something that i can't stand, so i would like to sell it and buy another more interesting game !

DISSESHOWEDO

exactly. AssCreed1 and Red Dead are such examples.

#16 Posted by funsohng (29844 posts) -
No used games means extremely difficult to hunt down some of the sexy games that I missed and has been sold out pretty much everywhere.
#17 Posted by Mozuckint (831 posts) -
i don't buy used games ever so it won't affect me.themagicbum9720
#18 Posted by rumbalumba (2445 posts) -

1) So you would save your own money and give developers 0 returns, filfthy pirate scum. 2) Filthy pirates sharing goods, those poor developers. 3) oh noes, niche developers don't deserve the same money as blockbuster casual crapfest developers Cool Story bro, cry more :DMBirdy88

save the fact that the money will go to the publishers, not developers. use your head. publishers fund the project and put devs on contract.

#19 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

Haha there goes consoles only advantage

#20 Posted by MBirdy88 (12130 posts) -

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]1) So you would save your own money and give developers 0 returns, filfthy pirate scum. 2) Filthy pirates sharing goods, those poor developers. 3) oh noes, niche developers don't deserve the same money as blockbuster casual crapfest developers Cool Story bro, cry more :Drumbalumba

save the fact that the money will go to the publishers, not developers. use your head. publishers fund the project and put devs on contract.

Erm no, your money goes to the middleman beyond the publisher for whom takes less, the publisher/dev receives NOTHING from you if you buy from a gamestore used. Its publishers that are are pushing for no-used-games aswell matey.... not developers as such.
#21 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4735 posts) -

Unlike the majority of gamers, apparently, I never sell my games. I never know when I want to go back and play one.

This will affect me in that I always buy my games used, only new if it's actually worth full-price (and I have very different tastes from most of you, so this rarely happens). It'll suck, but as long as Nintendo doesn't do it, I'm golden.

#22 Posted by nutcrackr (13029 posts) -
it won't affect me
#23 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

It won't.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
#25 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3347 posts) -

Don't care I don't buy used games, and I just throw away games I don't need.

#26 Posted by Heil68 (57703 posts) -
I dont buy used games, but I just started gamefly, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out if this is true,
#27 Posted by PhazonBlazer (12013 posts) -

So what does this do to places like Gamefly? It really doesn't effect me but what about game rentals?

#28 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

Not really but I buy used for games I feel aren't worth 60 bucks.

#29 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

I will never support any console that blocks them. At least on PC, if a game is plagued by terrible DRM or never comes down in price, there are alternative means to get it.

#30 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11194 posts) -

Not being able to borrow or lend games will effect me the most no doubt.

#31 Posted by Heil68 (57703 posts) -

I will never support any console that blocks them. At least on PC, if a game is plagued by terrible DRM or never comes down in price, there are alternative means to get it.

Bigboi500
lol, what do you mean?
#32 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -
It will save me lots of money as I won't buy any system that wants to restrict us in such a way. No used games or online only is a no buy.
#33 Posted by Slashless (9525 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Heil68

lol, what do you mean?

SCaptainB.jpg

SUBTLE

#34 Posted by Thefatness16 (4673 posts) -

It won't, because I wouldn't go anywhere near a console that blocks used games.

#35 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19625 posts) -

It won't. I only buy new unless it's an outrageously expensive retro game.

#36 Posted by FireSpirit117 (1926 posts) -
That would suck.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
#37 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (10533 posts) -
If a console wants to get away with it they should have a clear system of price reduction. Something like all games drop in price $10 for every year after launch. Maybe every 6 months until they are $40. Something in the console's constitution. A rule that can't be broken. Then I would be okay with banning used games. Like was already said, not all games are worth full price
#38 Posted by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

It won't. If the Nextbox really does go that route i'll be boycotting it.

#39 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

Not one bit on PC

#40 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -
No used games is going to suck for me. I buy solo many games years after release for cheap because I don't want to drop $60 on them. I also lone and borrow a lot of games from friends. Worst idea ever.
#41 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

I almost always buy new but I do like having the option to sell my games, and I know people that have low incomes rely on used games to play games, so it really sucks for them.

#42 Posted by NoirLamia777 (3174 posts) -

If a console blocks used games it will automatically make it no my console of choice.  So if Microsoft goes that way I'll be getting the PS4 first and for all my multiplatform games, and if Sony goes that way vice versa.  If both goth that way then I'll probably move to PC and a Wii U.

#43 Posted by DivineSword (15838 posts) -

[QUOTE="themagicbum9720"]i don't buy used games ever so it won't affect me.rumbalumba

I actually don't do any of the things you listed.

#44 Posted by lamprey263 (34415 posts) -
not much, if I want to get something cheaper I can always just wait until the new price drops which these days doesn't take long, most times online I can find stuff new much cheaper than the used price from GamStop, I usually only end up resorting to used games if I can't find something new because it's been out of publishing for years, or its so rare that new copies go for an exuberant fee, but rare games will become less of an issue in coming gens since everything is going digital, meaning if I can't get a physical copy I can resort to buying digitally and not have to ante up for a rare new copy or sometimes rare used copy I think that digital games could also shake up the used game market, if they can be competitive with digital pricing over that of retail I think more people would utilize digital stores if it's cheaper than store retail by a significant amount, like Steam sales are $10 less than console games new, and prices are flexible and go down quicker than MS or Sony's online digital stores, if they could be as competitive and flexible as Steam I think they could compete with store retail, which in the long run would help publishers with revenues, as well as cut down on the number of tangible games on the market, decreasing used game sales due to less of an inventory in used games coming back to retailers it would be suicide for one company alone to attempt to cut the used game market, then the competitors would claim the loyalty of consumers, but if say both Sony and MS did this then I think they could make a good difference to both their benefits and that of the publishers that make games for them, and as far as I'm concerned it would be a benefit to me, my favorite publishers would cease going belly up because the games they make weren't immediate blockbusters, which most games have to be these days to survive the used game market, the first few weeks a game has been out are the only weeks that game will make money, afterwards GameStop stops carrying new inventory, they get all the used copies and they dominate the inventory of that game with used sales the publishers see no money for, getting rid of used games will change that then again, maybe instead of worrying about consumer loyalty maybe MS knows something about publisher loyalty, what if they really are trying to kill used games they must consider losing consumer loyalty, but if publishers went to them with exclusive console titles because they worry about used games then they'd be the only system to sell many games, and that itself might attract consumers, or maybe MS is doing this because they made a pact with Sony to do the same, to help bolster both their publishing revenues and that of their third party publishers
#45 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

I don't buy used games, but it doesn't only affect purchases.

There is also no borrowing, trading, or renting.

My friend, and his brother, always trade games between each other because they don't have money to afford everything they want, and recently I rented Halo 4 from Redbox in order to have a third Xbox going in a mini-LAN not too long ago.

Used games help to get more games to more people, and in doing so helps make bigger fanbases for your product.

#46 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
I am only interested in the PS4, so I couldn't care less what Microsoft does. If Sony fights used games, then I will become a PC only gamer.
#47 Posted by arto1223 (4412 posts) -

Me, not one bit. I'm primarily a PC gamer. Even my console games though are all new. I like for the devs/publishers to get my money. I have a job, gotta use the money on something.

#48 Posted by Exxite (171 posts) -

I'm probably going to be going ps4 so I hope sony doesn't block used games, however I believe the industry is going to decide this not any one "party". I mostly game on pc so I usually pick up one console usually a sony console. For ps3 I have bought many used games. In fact my favorite game this entire generation including even pc games has been dark souls which I played entirely only on ps3 and bought used. It would have sucked ass to have to buy some stupid online pass like some EA games to play online.

If other console owners roll like me it could hurt their sales a bit.

#49 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

Its bound to happen, the publishers would rather go the pc business model. I'm shocked they have not done it sooner, people who buy game used are seen to the publishers as no better than pirates 

#50 Posted by hippiesanta (10299 posts) -
never in my life bought a used game...... but my nephew and nieces will be heart broken if I don't lend my games to them