How will game streaming affect PC rig-building?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

There has been a lot of discussion about PS Now being available on PC but it has raised a query with me as to how this affect PC rig-building.

At the moment, to me, gaming on PC involves constant updates to drivers, updating and improving your hardware and dealing with the quirks of Windows 10. This is why I have preferred to play on the PS4 as it is easier and involves less maintenance.

If we truly are going to stream games off a server in the future wouldn't the most important criteria will be the internet connection as most video cards can run streaming. Even my Vita can quite happily stream games from my PS4.

Will rig-building become a victim of game streaming or will it continue in the future?

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

There has been a lot of discussion about PS Now being available on PC but it has raised a query with me as to how this affect PC rig-building.

At the moment, to me, gaming on PC involves constant updates to drivers, updating and improving your hardware and dealing with the quirks of Windows 10. This is why I have preferred to play on the PS4 as it is easier and involves less maintenance.

If we truly are going to stream games off a server in the future wouldn't the most important criteria will be the internet connection as most video cards can run streaming. Even my Vita can quite happily stream games from my PS4.

Will rig-building become a victim of game streaming or will it continue in the future?

Streaming will never take off like people think. This would make multiplayer based games unplayable due to latency.

What is probable you will stream a game to play the single player campaign. I probably not going to buy a PS4 now, i have a PC so i am just going to stream the few games Sony has i want to play when i able to get the service.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

But it doesn't actually involves that

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Lost interest in your second statement, stop talking out of your ass.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

I stop reading there!

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@davillain- said:
@jcafcwbb said:

I stop reading there!

Every person without a PC says the same thing. TC forgot to add "dealing with viruses", its another thing they all mention.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

At the moment PC gaming is ok. I don't like how long it takes to download ram but if you find a good hacker in a multiplayer game they can usually help.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

not much,or at least not until everyone has 100+mb/s internet

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

The same way how console affect PC gaming. Basically nothing.

"At the moment, to me, gaming on PC involves constant updates to drivers, bla bla bla"

That is the same old tired argument used in SW for years and elsewhere when people debate between console gaming and PC. It means jack shit in the grand scheme of things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I don't think game streaming is going to become the primary method of playing games anytime soon. The technology isn't good enough yet and too many people like myself are going to be very turned off by the idea of streaming games and resist it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

... So basically what you are saying is you don't have a pc and have used the platform very little if ever..

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

We're a long, long way off game streaming replacing our hardware at home.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

PC gaming is an enthusiast hobby, it's not all about sitting on the couch after a day at school or work and playing the next big thing. PC gaming is a hobby not a pastime, that more than anything else is what console only gamers just don't get.

Keeping your hand built rig lean and mean is not a hassle, it's fun and satisfying. Besides just about everything software side can be completely automated should you so wish.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

No effect Gaikai and Online both bought by sony were streaming game services of PC games on PC and didn't have any impact on PC at all,no self respected PC gamer would dive into something like that.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Lol Constantly updating drivers... Yeah, updating once a month is so constant. In fact, it's so constant that it's about 50% less constant than updating that new game on your PS4--which takes twice as long.

avenger85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 avenger85
Member since 2015 • 304 Posts

Lol consoles have non stop updates and game installs these days too....

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

Tell me about it.

Also I keep having to spend $5000 PER WEEK to keep upgrading my hardware!!!

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

Gaming PCs has uncompressed pixels!!!!

PC hardware purchases has tax related advantages for certain industries.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

It won't.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#20  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

It will have little impact. PC gamers actually care about quality and streaming is shit. So, the two don't mix well together.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

You don't need a super powerful PC to run the games in the first place. Being able to stream them just means that people with older PC's may be able to do it just as well. I don't think it would stop anyone from buying a new PC/upgrading their PC to run all the other games themselves. And I find it hard to believe that the streaming service works well... (downtimes, lag, artifacting)

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

That statement alone shows that you have no clue what you're talking about.

1. You'll only have to update your GPU driver and thanks to GeForece experience that's now an automatic process. The PS4 has more system updates a year than you'd need driver updates on PC.

2. You'll only have to upgrade when you want/need better graphics/performance. It's a choice. Kinda like with the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

3. You don't like Windows 10? Then use 7 or 8.1. Problem solved. At least you have the option to chose your OS, instead of on consoles where you're forced to use the crappy Xbox Windows OS.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@thehig1 said:
@jcafcwbb said:

Tell me about it.

PC also raped my dog!

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

The problem is most assuredly you if you feel it's necessary to be constantly updating drivers, hardware and dealing with "quirks" in Win10. When you say dumb shit like this people are automatically going to assume you haven't gamed on a PC in at least a decade.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@thehig1 said:
@jcafcwbb said:

Tell me about it.

PC also raped my dog!

That's what you get for buying disk drives in 2017.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#26 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@silversix_ said:
@davillain- said:
@jcafcwbb said:

I stop reading there!

Every person without a PC says the same thing. TC forgot to add "dealing with viruses", its another thing they all mention.

I haven't bought a new card since 2014, driver updates are simple. I have no idea WTF this is about.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@silversix_ said:
@davillain- said:
@jcafcwbb said:

I stop reading there!

I haven't bought a new card since 2014, driver updates are simple. I have no idea WTF this is about.

I'm still rocking a GTX 780 which came out early 2013, BEFORE both PS4 and Xbox One, yet I'm the one playing games at 1440p at 60+ FPS in most games at a higher graphical fidelity than either of the consoles (including the PS4 Pro). This flies in the face of the commonly held belief among console gamer's that PC gamers are constantly upgrading.

I will admit though that the GTX1080TI is tempting me quit a bit. Thinking about buying it...

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#28 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@jcafcwbb:

I find it extremely ironic and hypocritical that pc gamers boast about having quality experiences with their almighty rigs yet they act like ps Now is the answer to not being able to play ps games, knowing that streaming games is pretty bad right now. Why would anyone pay for a monthly service just to play console games when they can just buy the damn things instead? At least you get to actually keep what you pay for!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#30 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@PernicioEnigma said:
@cainetao11 said:
@silversix_ said:
@davillain- said:
@jcafcwbb said:

I stop reading there!

I'm still rocking a GTX 780 which came out early 2013, BEFORE both PS4 and Xbox One, yet I'm the one playing games at 1440p at 60+ FPS in most games at a higher graphical fidelity than either of the consoles (including the PS4 Pro). This flies in the face of the commonly held belief among console gamer's that PC gamers are constantly upgrading.

I will admit though that the GTX1080TI is tempting me quit a bit. Thinking about buying it...

I have the same card, I believe. I don't pretend to be all savvy, a friend from the Army built my PC. He chose all the components and I just plunked down my CC. But I got it in like April or May 2014 and I think he said its a GTX 780 inside. I also have enjoyed games pretty well.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Not at all in any near future, is my guess.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

"At the moment, to me, gaming on PC involves constant updates to drivers, updating and improving your hardware and dealing with the quirks of Windows 10. This is why I have preferred to play on the PS4 as it is easier and involves less maintenance."

Making the OPTION to update drivers and the OPTION to update hardware seem like its a negative and a necessity rather than a choice is a typical peasant statement if ever there was one, or at least from somebody who has not touched a PC since the 90's

This is you:

"i'm going to create extra work for myself and convince myself i need to do all this extra stuff or spend all this extra money i don't actually have to, then i'm going to blame the platform for it rather than myself and my inability to not mess with stuff and claim that another platform is less hassle despite all the hassle i just complained about being entirely of my own making"

The stupidity and/or ignorance of some gamers these days is both incredibly entertaining and a point of utter despair.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#33 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

the servers that run the games which will be streamed will still need powerful hardware

Northernboxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Northernboxer
Member since 2004 • 1723 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

gaming on PC involves constant updates to drivers, updating and improving your hardware and dealing with the quirks of Windows 10.

Driver updates take less than five minutes. I upgrade my hardware less often than new consoles come out now. Windows 10 hasn't been a problem for me.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Why just PC gaming?

If streaming does take off, then every single system will be worthless.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@PernicioEnigma said:
@cainetao11 said:
@silversix_ said:
@davillain- said:

I stop reading there!

I have the same card, I believe. I don't pretend to be all savvy, a friend from the Army built my PC. He chose all the components and I just plunked down my CC. But I got it in like April or May 2014 and I think he said its a GTX 780 inside. I also have enjoyed games pretty well.

I'm still using my 970 bought at launch(2014) it runs games better than X1/ps4 and will do for the rest of the generation.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Latency is an issue. It's not as apparent on games which use controllers, especially wireless controllers since they have their own latency associated with them. However I think people who regularly use K&M (or a good wired controller with good drivers) will notice immediately.

The thing about latency is - ISPs don't give a damn about latency, at least not for regular consumers. You can get gigabit speeds all day but that don't mean a thing about latency.

I think it will take a complete overhaul of the network infrastructures before streaming games can be a good alternative - which basically means it ain't gonna happen.

However.... I do see the possibility for some kind of hybrid streaming - some part taken care of by the servers and some part by your device at home. I don't know how it works yet, but I'm sure some smart person can figure it out.

I'd rather take care of the pixel-pushing on my own. I say what resolutions and detail levels. I have a g-sync monitor to sync up the refresh rate to the frame rate. Streaming is a step down for me.

There are too many variables to just say one can exist without the other.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#38 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@gameofthering:

How would it make consoles worthless? Unless the service providers let you buy and keep the games then consoles will never be worthless.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@tormentos I can't wait to play multiplat UC4 and Horizon on PC!

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jcafcwbb

To add some context to the second paragraph which has caused so much consternation I bought a laptop two years ago. I was thinking about scaling down to save space so used one of those can I run it tools on the web to see if I could play the latest games. I think I looked at the Witcher 3 which I was enjoying on PS4. The tool didn't like my processor or graphics card. Now I didn't buy the laptop for gaming but I would have thought it wouldn't be unable to play the game. I use it okay to play the Football Manager games.

My system looks like this:

Processor: Intel Core TM i7-4510U CPU@ 2.00 GHZ

Installed Ram: 16GB (I could order 16GB for the price of 8GB so thought it was a good bargain)

Graphics Card: Nvidia GT 750M

Broadband speed: Currently 20MB (down) 1MB (up) but I am getting a free upgrade to 70MB (down) and 5 MB (up) in May.

Now to play games I would have to update two of my core components. Plus the graphics card wants to update itself again today, second time in a month.

That against, once installed, games updating in the background and the occasional system update on the PS4.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

To add some context to the second paragraph which has caused so much consternation I bought a laptop two years ago. I was thinking about scaling down to save space so used one of those can I run it tools on the web to see if I could play the latest games. I think I looked at the Witcher 3 which I was enjoying on PS4. The tool didn't like my processor or graphics card. Now I didn't buy the laptop for gaming but I would have thought it wouldn't be unable to play the game. I use it okay to play the Football Manager games.

Installed Ram: 16GB (I could order 16GB for the price of 8GB so thought it was a good bargain)

Broadband speed: Currently 20MB (down) 1MB (up) but I am getting a free upgrade to 70MB (down) and 5 MB (up) in May.

Now to play games I would have to update two of my core components. Plus the graphics card wants to update itself again today, second time in a month.

That against, once installed, games updating in the background and the occasional system update on the PS4.

Your CPU should be fine for most games but that 750M is a major weak spot. Having said that, cutting settings back should allow you to play most games. What res is the Laptop screen?

Nvidia release new drivers for most major new games, doesn't mean you have to download them if you're not having any issues doing what you're doing. This week's driver update is for Mass Effect: Andromeda and Rockband VR, the last one was for Ghost Recon: Wildlands. Nothing wrong with getting an optimised driver for a new game.

You do know that Steam, Uplay, Battlenet and Origin will download game patches in the background. Uplay even allows you to play the actual game while it's being updated. It's a technique Sony have taken from PC , not the other way round.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@zaryia said:

@tormentos I can't wait to play multiplat UC4 and Horizon on PC!

Now if only there was some way to get the actual benefits of playing them on PC..... Maybe with all that cloud computing power we can actually get 60fps.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#43 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

I prefer to own my games thank you. Streaming is a bad deal and not simply because of connectivity, its the fact that you will not be able to control the settings of your games, mods for example would disappear.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@Dark_sageX: but its your own pc game. Its not a modified only for streaming purposes PlayStation far away. Its own your pc bro we have to face it. Ask charzard and the lems theyll tell you before even this site officially labels it so

Lol dont about shit when it comes to streaming. Trust

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DragonfireXZ95

@Dark_sageX said:

I prefer to own my games thank you. Streaming is a bad deal and not simply because of connectivity, its the fact that you will not be able to control the settings of your games, mods for example would disappear.

These games are purely for Playstation anyway, so no mods would be there to begin with. No loss about the mod thing. The only gripe about this would be connectivity.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DragonfireXZ95

@GarGx1 said:
@jcafcwbb said:

Your CPU should be fine for most games but that 750M is a major weak spot. Having said that, cutting settings back should allow you to play most games. What res is the Laptop screen?

Nvidia release new drivers for most major new games, doesn't mean you have to download them if you're not having any issues doing what you're doing. This week's driver update is for Mass Effect: Andromeda and Rockband VR, the last one was for Ghost Recon: Wildlands. Nothing wrong with getting an optimised driver for a new game.

You do know that Steam, Uplay, Battlenet and Origin will download game patches in the background. Uplay even allows you to play the actual game while it's being updated. It's a technique Sony have taken from PC , not the other way round.

That CPU is garbage. 2 GHz? You can have 4 cores, but 2 GHz per core is going to be crap for any newer games with higher fidelity 3D graphics.

That laptop is just a pile. Buying a laptop to game is going to be bloody expensive, anyway. They are almost always non-upgradable and filled with parts that either have improper cooling or just go out of date fairly quickly.

You can build a 600 dollar gaming desktop fairly easily, but if you want a good laptop that will last for gaming for 2 years, you're probably going to want to at least spend 2 grand.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jcafcwbb

@DragonfireXZ95: But isn't that the point? For £350 I can get a PS Pro. I would probably have to spend twice that to get a semi-decent gaming PC and even more for a laptop that can play them.

So I use my PS4 for gaming and my laptop for media. Works well. No having to delve around the internet trying to determine if my processor or graphics card is up to scratch.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@tormentos said:

No effect Gaikai and Online both bought by sony were streaming game services of PC games on PC and didn't have any impact on PC at all,no self respected PC gamer would dive into something like that.

What about gamers that don't actually game? Those that DON'T play on the system they champion, does it apply to them as well?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Unless you can stream at 4k and 60fps without any lag PC will always stay relevant. Besides it's not PC who's currently losing Systems Wars ; )

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#50 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69434 Posts

My console updates more frequent than my video card drivers. The irony.