How the hell did the Xbox ONE sell so much?

Avatar image for vfighter
#51 Posted by VFighter (4787 posts) -

@BassMan: Worst console ever, lol, are you stupid or high right now?

Avatar image for mosquitobaby
#52 Posted by MosquitoBaby (77 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@BassMan: Worst console ever, lol, are you stupid or high right now?

One of the worst, yes.

Avatar image for sealionact
#53 Posted by sealionact (3788 posts) -

@mosquitobaby: Oh I see...well, I just dont know how else to answer your question. Xbox having a bad launch is the only reason I can think of for people preferring ps4 .... I mean, they even managed to put the thumbsticks in the wrong place.

Then again, I didnt understand Cows last gen either...Sony actually downgraded the ps3 mid gen, and it sold better.

Strange breed.

Avatar image for HalcyonScarlet
#54 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8346 posts) -

Well to be fair, it's been between 30M and 40M for a really long time. And the Switch is catching up fast.

M$ deserve it though. They shit their pants and dropped Kinect, exclusives and the price giving the middle finger to early adopters, all to chase Sony sales. In the end they just lost long time supporters and gamers. It's fitting.

Avatar image for sealionact
#55 Posted by sealionact (3788 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet: Sony shit their pants last gen and dropped BC, and gave early adopters the middle finger by slashing prices from $600 to $200 to chase xbox sales, yet that didnt seem to bother people.

Avatar image for vfighter
#56 Posted by VFighter (4787 posts) -

@mosquitobaby: One of the worst, lol, still a huge no alt boy.

Avatar image for Ovirew
#57 Posted by Ovirew (8843 posts) -

There's actually some decent exclusives on the XBO, though not quite as many as on other systems. There's also the fact that it can play most of the third party stuff save for some Japanese stuff.

It has the most powerful console atm with XBox One X. Has the best controller. Has the best system UI. Has the best online service. Has Gamepass which is a great deal if you don't want to pay top dollar for hits. Has backwards-compatibility with most 360 games. Has cross-play with Windows, the most popular PC OS.

I still personally prefer the XBO to the PS4. When you really get down to it, even with PS4's larger install base and Japanese exclusives, and some acclaimed 1st-party games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Gravity Rush 2, the system really doesn't have a big edge over the XBO in offerings.

A lot of the PS4's 1st party games are remakes/ports of older games from PS3, Vita and even PS One. Most of what you're left with is a handful of overhyped exclusives. There aren't as many big Japanese exclusives as on the PS2, though likely more than on the PS3.

What made PS4 most successful is XBO's early blunders, their fumbling with a lot of game releases and a lot of game cancellations. They have a high install base because of early wins and people buying the system their friends already have. The perception that the PS4 is the de facto console for Japanese exclusives, VR gaming specialization, and being the most popular console for third-party titles because of its install base is why PS4 won.

Avatar image for BassMan
#58 Edited by BassMan (10021 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@BassMan: Worst console ever, lol, are you stupid or high right now?

I said one of the worst. I don't see the world through fanboy goggles. So, I can make an accurate assessment of each console. MS was coming off of 360 (one of the best consoles ever) and they fucked up X1 big time.

Avatar image for vfighter
#59 Posted by VFighter (4787 posts) -

@BassMan: Even one of the worst is still an incredibly stupid statement.

Avatar image for BassMan
#60 Posted by BassMan (10021 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@BassMan: Even one of the worst is still an incredibly stupid statement.

Actually, it isn't stupid at all. Being in denial is though...

Avatar image for tormentos
#61 Posted by tormentos (28697 posts) -

@mosquitobaby:

Kingtito has 3 so if every lemming is like him we know those numbers are blown away by re bought units.

Avatar image for sealionact
#62 Posted by sealionact (3788 posts) -

@BassMan: It actually and factually isn't. Insisting it is despite the figures and facts is simply deluded.

You may hate it because it is a competitor, but theres a short list of consoles that have sold more, and a longer list that have sold less, lasted shorter and performed worse while getting worse support and games.

Avatar image for kadin_kai
#63 Posted by Kadin_Kai (320 posts) -

@mosquitobaby: There are over 1,000 Xbox One games that’s why!

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#64 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2990 posts) -

I prefer the Xbox One to the PS4 in almost every way. I’m literally pissed every time I have to turn a PS4 on. Between that controller, the UI, the lack of a UHD drive in the Pro and the download times. A handful of games saved that platform in my eyes. I was down on the PS3 as well though so I guess this isn’t that surprising.

Avatar image for tormentos
#65 Posted by tormentos (28697 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@mosquitobaby: Oh I see...well, I just dont know how else to answer your question. Xbox having a bad launch is the only reason I can think of for people preferring ps4 .... I mean, they even managed to put the thumbsticks in the wrong place.

Then again, I didnt understand Cows last gen either...Sony actually downgraded the ps3 mid gen, and it sold better.

Strange breed.

Even if MS didn't have those problems the xbox was doom to lose to the PS4 maybe not by the wide gap it has now but by a healthy margin i am sure. Even on its worse day Sony still beat up MS.

The Thumb stick of the PS had always been in that place and is by far the most popular form and the most used world wide by a long shot. In other words the standard.

The PS3 wasn't downgrade features like BC which were totally hardware based back then and since most people didn't care for it they bought it.

@sealionact said:

@HalcyonScarlet: Sony shit their pants last gen and dropped BC, and gave early adopters the middle finger by slashing prices from $600 to $200 to chase xbox sales, yet that didnt seem to bother people.

That in bold is factually WRONG.

First thing first the PS3 cost sony $800+ to manufacture each machine,so even at $600 it was a problem for them,cutting BC was a step first because the PS2 was selling dirt cheap and was still selling in fact the PS2 outsold the 360 in 2005,2006 and i think 2007 world wide.

The PS3 didn't have software BC it was hardware BC in other words the PS3 had PS2 GPU and CPU.

The people didn't want a damn PS3 to play PS2 games that is what they have their damn PS2 for,the notion that people want to buy a next gen console to play old ass games they had been playing for years is moronic and wrong,which is why as soon as sony took BC out and slashed the price by $100 the machine started to pick up.

By the way by the time the PS3 was $200 which was with the super slim model it was already August 2013 dude,is not like they lower the damn price of the PS3 on 2007 to $200 hell the xbox one was selling in holiday 2014 just 1 year from launch at $329 with a $50 dollar gift card and 2 games bundle including for the first time ever a fresh new and hot release 3rd party game Assassins Creed Unity and ACBF as well.

If you don't consider that a slap of the face to those early xbox one adopters who payed $500 no games included for the xbox one just 1 year before then you have problems,the PS3 dropped to $199 in 2013 7 years after launch.

No one buys next gen console to play last gen games period only lemmings pretend that,which is funny because the 2 best selling platforms now neither has BC.

@Ovirew said:

There's actually some decent exclusives on the XBO, though not quite as many as on other systems. There's also the fact that it can play most of the third party stuff save for some Japanese stuff.

It has the most powerful console atm with XBox One X. Has the best controller. Has the best system UI. Has the best online service. Has Gamepass which is a great deal if you don't want to pay top dollar for hits. Has backwards-compatibility with most 360 games. Has cross-play with Windows, the most popular PC OS.

I still personally prefer the XBO to the PS4. When you really get down to it, even with PS4's larger install base and Japanese exclusives, and some acclaimed 1st-party games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Gravity Rush 2, the system really doesn't have a big edge over the XBO in offerings.

A lot of the PS4's 1st party games are remakes/ports of older games from PS3, Vita and even PS One. Most of what you're left with is a handful of overhyped exclusives. There aren't as many big Japanese exclusives as on the PS2, though likely more than on the PS3.

What made PS4 most successful is XBO's early blunders, their fumbling with a lot of game releases and a lot of game cancellations. They have a high install base because of early wins and people buying the system their friends already have. The perception that the PS4 is the de facto console for Japanese exclusives, VR gaming specialization, and being the most popular console for third-party titles because of its install base is why PS4 won.

Best controller debatable.

Best online debatable.

Best system UI not even close.

And most 360 games are in fact not BC with the xbox one only a small % are and most are arcade games and indies.

NO if you actually believe that the PS4 would not be as successful if MS didn't screw up you are mistaken,even with the PS3 that sony screw up price was still was able to beat MS,imagine a gen where sony did good,the xbox has never ever been in the level of popularity of the PS never.

Avatar image for davillain-
#66 Edited by DaVillain- (35975 posts) -
@vfighter said:

@BassMan: Worst console ever, lol, are you stupid or high right now?

It's one of the worst you dolt and BassMan is totally spot on! Now stop being so damn silly V!

Both Xbox & Xbox 360 were so much better then the One.

Edit: Okay, taking the examples of robert_sparkes, it's not the worst but disappointing console so far. I retract what I said earlier.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#67 Edited by robert_sparkes (2905 posts) -

I don't think the Xbox one can be talked about the worst ever when the jaguar and 3DO were released.

Crazy to be mentioned it's ms worst console in terms of exclusives yes but overall worst console ever I don't think so.

Avatar image for sealionact
#69 Posted by sealionact (3788 posts) -

@tormentos: Do you even read what you write before you go off on your incredibly long essays?

I said ps3 started off at 600 bucks, removed a hardware feature and then slashed the price. You then say that's factually wrong because Sony sold them for 600 bucks, removed a hardware feature then slashed the price.

Dear oh dear.

Avatar image for davillain-
#70 Posted by DaVillain- (35975 posts) -
@robert_sparkes said:

I don't think the Xbox one can be talked about the worst ever when the jaguar and 3DO were released.

Crazy to be mentioned it's ms worst console in terms of exclusives yes but overall worst console ever I don't think so.

Okay, maybe saying "it's one of the worst" is an understatement. It's really the most disappointing console I seen so far but launching it for $500 vs $400 and that mandatory Kinect really left it's mark.

Avatar image for BassMan
#71 Edited by BassMan (10021 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@BassMan: It actually and factually isn't. Insisting it is despite the figures and facts is simply deluded.

You may hate it because it is a competitor, but theres a short list of consoles that have sold more, and a longer list that have sold less, lasted shorter and performed worse while getting worse support and games.

First off, it is not a competitor to me as I don't take sides. PC is my primary platform and I have the consoles for exclusives. I am unbiased and make fun of all the consoles. X1 is part of an era where consoles still sell well and only the "big 3" matter. So, being the mainstream console that it is, having sold less than half of its main competitor (PS4), having sold less than half of its predecessor to date (and no chance of coming close to matching it), having shit hardware, having shit exclusive lineup, not having contributed anything noteworthy in terms of innovation and gaming advancement, and generally regarded as a disappointment.... yes, it is one of the worst consoles ever. To be given the opportunity that it had and fail so hard and have such a negative sentiment around it has to be humbling for MS.

Avatar image for BassMan
#72 Edited by BassMan (10021 posts) -

@robert_sparkes said:

I don't think the Xbox one can be talked about the worst ever when the jaguar and 3DO were released.

Crazy to be mentioned it's ms worst console in terms of exclusives yes but overall worst console ever I don't think so.

Those also weren't mainstream consoles and expectations were low. MS has no excuse for the X1 failure. They fucked up.

Avatar image for tormentos
#73 Posted by tormentos (28697 posts) -

The xbox one is a failure even by the 360 standard, the xbox 360 by June 2011 had 55 million units.

We are 2 months from the exact same time frame and the XBO is basically trailing the xbox 360 by close to 15 millions units.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-xbox-360-sales-accelerating/

It took the PS3 4 years and 5 months to reach 50 millions units the xbox one is 5 years and 5 months as is 10 millions behind with 1 year more of time.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2011/04/15/playstation-3-sales-reach-50-million-units-worldwide

So even the PS3 which lemmings consider to be a disaster beat the xbox one effortlessly sales wise and the PS3 started at $100 more.

Avatar image for narlymech
#74 Posted by narlymech (1666 posts) -

Really, I would have bought PS4 if I knew about the more games and more players, but I have enjoyed my xbox one probably more than any other platform I have owned, so it's still a great system.

Avatar image for vfighter
#75 Edited by VFighter (4787 posts) -

@BassMan: Mainstream or not they were worse, and they arent the only two that are worse. Virtual Boy, Wii U, Sega Saturn, etc are far worse then the Xone. You can try to spin it anyway you want, your idea of it being in the same category as those consoles is laughable. Is the Xone a disappointment yes, one of the worst of all time, HELL NO. This is coming from a ps4 fanboy.

Avatar image for mosquitobaby
#76 Posted by MosquitoBaby (77 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@mosquitobaby: One of the worst, lol, still a huge no alt boy.

Could you stop stalking me? Even in the political forums.

Avatar image for sleepnsurf
#77 Posted by sleepnsurf (3151 posts) -
@storm_of_swords said:

I don't know why I'm going to respond to such a fanboy thread with a serious answer, but I will...

-Many people consider the Xbox controller to be far better than the Playstation controller.

-For anybody that cares a lot about online gaming, Xbox Live is the gold standard for online gaming.

-Some people like the type of exclusives that the Xbox One has and don't give a damn if they are also available on PC because they prefer to play on a console.

-Some people don't care about the type of exclusives that dominate the PS4's library (i.e. Movie-games and JRPGs).

-It offers backwards compatiblity with the Xbox 360's fantastic library of games. Even some original Xbox games too.

-The Xbox One makes for a great Ultra HD Blu-ray player which no other console offers.

-The Xbox One X is the most powerful console on the market.

This, the X is the best console ever made imo.

Avatar image for Pedro
#78 Posted by Pedro (33895 posts) -

@BassMan said:

First off, it is not a competitor to me as I don't take sides. PC is my primary platform and I have the consoles for exclusives. I am unbiased and make fun of all the consoles. X1 is part of an era where consoles still sell well and only the "big 3" matter. So, being the mainstream console that it is, having sold less than half of its main competitor (PS4), having sold less than half of its predecessor to date (and no chance of coming close to matching it), having shit hardware, having shit exclusive lineup, not having contributed anything noteworthy in terms of innovation and gaming advancement, and generally regarded as a disappointment.... yes, it is one of the worst consoles ever. To be given the opportunity that it had and fail so hard and have such a negative sentiment around it has to be humbling for MS.

There is a difference between your opinion and reality. The Xbox One is factually not the worse console or even one of the worst console ever. Don't confuse your personal feeling with reality.

Avatar image for sealionact
#79 Edited by sealionact (3788 posts) -

@BassMan:

"The worst console ever"

Then...

"One of the worst consoles ever"

Followed by....

"The worst console of this generation "

Classic. Keep it up.

Avatar image for Pedro
#80 Posted by Pedro (33895 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@BassMan:

"The worst console ever"

Then...

"One of the worst consoles ever"

Followed by....

"The worst console of this generation "

Classic. Keep it up.

Avatar image for sealionact
#81 Posted by sealionact (3788 posts) -

@davillain-: Christ, you should have been around in the days of the "32 bit double as powerful" cd32. I imported a 3do for 600 bucks, and then theres Phillip's CDi, Atari's Jaguar and 5200, Segas Dreamcast which finished them as console makers, Nintendos Wii U, intellivision and many more that barely sold a few million.

Avatar image for sealionact
#82 Posted by sealionact (3788 posts) -

@BassMan: 3do was produced by a conglomeration of some of the biggest names in electronics. It was named product of the year by Time magazine, and it was very mainstream. It failed because it launched at 699 bucks.

Atari at the time of the Jaguar launch was struggling to remain relevant, but were still a mainstream household name in gaming. It sold less than 250,000 units and finished Atari as a console maker and was the last console to be produced in the US until Xbox.

Avatar image for Rockman999
#83 Posted by Rockman999 (7468 posts) -

You say like 40 mill is bad. The Wii U only pulled in 14 mill after 5 full years and the switch is past that which is another travesty. Why buy a Switch when you can just buy a Pro for $100 more and get access to a much superior state of gaming?

Avatar image for Star67
#84 Posted by Star67 (4367 posts) -

It's not a bad console now. It's had tons of discounts, bundles, and game pass is a really great idea. Some people prefer the controller and online service, plus it is a 4k blu ray player.

Not a bad console, but not nearly as good as the PS4 or the Switch. It's like PS1 vs N64. Neither are bad, but one just did way better.

Avatar image for BassMan
#85 Edited by BassMan (10021 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@BassMan:

"The worst console ever"

Then...

"One of the worst consoles ever"

Followed by....

"The worst console of this generation "

Classic. Keep it up.

All those quotes and yet I only ever said "one of the worst consoles ever". Although, I agree that it is the worst of this generation.

@vfighter said:

@BassMan: Mainstream or not they were worse, and they arent the only two that are worse. Virtual Boy, Wii U, Sega Saturn, etc are far worse then the Xone. You can try to spin it anyway you want, your idea of it being in the same category as those consoles is laughable. Is the Xone a disappointment yes, one of the worst of all time, HELL NO. This is coming from a ps4 fanboy.

I have given my reasoning for X1 being one of the worst consoles ever and what you said is critical. Being in the same category is important. You don't judge consoles that are not to be taken seriously (Phillips CD-i, Ouya, Jaguar, etc..) with the mainstream offerings. X1 is playing in the big leagues and shouldn't be compared to minor league offerings. However, I do consider Wii U and Sega Saturn to be in the same category as X1 and both are worse.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#86 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2990 posts) -

@Rockman999 said:

You say like 40 mill is bad. The Wii U only pulled in 14 mill after 5 full years and the switch is past that which is another travesty. Why buy a Switch when you can just buy a Pro for $100 more and get access to a much superior state of gaming?

QTE's are superior gaming?
Cutscenes are superior gaming?
Being tethered to a TV is superior gaming?

The Switch AND Wii U have a better 1st party lineup than the PS4 and Xbox One combined. The only thing Nintendo misses out on is 3rd party bangers, and the Switch is starting to pull some of those as well.


Avatar image for Rockman999
#87 Posted by Rockman999 (7468 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: *yawn* Here comes yet another one of Nintendo's viral marketers trying to sell me another set of "Labo" cardboard boxes and 720p30 hand-me-down ports. 🙄

The numbers don't lie, sheep, PlayStation has outright dominated this gen in typical Sony fashion with critically acclaim games and sales. And I'm just counting exclusives here. It's been proven that companies that choose to skip the PS4 for their multiplatform releases end up suffering greatly because of it. Meanwhile everyone is perfectly content with skipping the Switch. 😂

I understand that sheep are mostly children and transient vagabonds on the lower spectrum of society(sex offender registries are bitch, huh?) so the concept of having a comfortable home to retreat to after a hard day of working is foreign to ya but not everyone cares about gaming on the go. When I'm out, the last thing on my mind is gaming. I'm not going to carry around a badge engineered Nvidia Shield tablet just to replay the same games I have at home at a quarter of the resolution and a third of the frame rate. 🤦🏿‍♂️ Ya dumb as hell.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#88 Posted by lundy86_4 (52609 posts) -

@Rockman999: Ninty has better exclusives. End of story. Your inane insults toward their userbase just shows the need to lash out. All good man...

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#89 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2990 posts) -

@Rockman999: Lol, this guy... Your PS4 makes you feel like a man, huh?

The Switch is about to pass the PS4 in lifetime sales with 4 fewer years on the market. And you’re telling us what gamers want...

Avatar image for Rockman999
#90 Posted by Rockman999 (7468 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: Nah, the hairy pair of testicles hanging from my dick makes me feel like a Man. 😎 I'm just saying, out here in the real world, grown adults don't have time to play with toys while out in public. 🤷🏿‍♂️ Y'all keep touting portability like a 3 hour long battery life is worth all the set backs and downgrades. 🤦🏿‍♂️ Lmfao but you can go ahead and continue tracking Switch sales, the PS5 and the beginning of the Next Gen are just a year away, have fun playing catch up yet again.😎

@lundy86_4: 😂You can keep telling yourself that, and I'm going to respect your right to believe in fantasy, but that is objectively false.🤦🏿‍♂️

Avatar image for jcrame10
#91 Edited by jcrame10 (5029 posts) -

Loyal fanbase to the brand. Aggressive marketing. Lots and lots of price cuts, bundles and deals. Also big name games like Halo, Gears of War 4 and the Forza series moved units.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#92 Posted by lundy86_4 (52609 posts) -

@Rockman999 said:

@lundy86_4: 😂You can keep telling yourself that, and I'm going to respect your right to believe in fantasy, but that is objectively false.🤦🏿‍♂️

Dude, the emoji's only deteriorate your argument. At the end of the day, you're playing shitter exclusives. That's on you, bud.

Avatar image for Rockman999
#93 Posted by Rockman999 (7468 posts) -

@lundy86_4: 🤔Damn fam, are emojis that problematic for you? I mean I get that you're the top #3 poster here and I'm sure you're probably very proud of that. But this is just a forum to talk shit. This isn't ResetEra bro.🤦🏿‍♂️😂🤷🏿‍♂️

Avatar image for TheEroica
#94 Edited by TheEroica (18382 posts) -

This is one Ill informed and out of touch topic creator...

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#95 Edited by lundy86_4 (52609 posts) -

@Rockman999: Why are you going more and more off-topic? I said they devolved your argument, and they do. Again, the Switch has some goddamn good exclusives, whether you want to look at MC or GS... Or IGN... Or any other reviewer.

Anyway, you do you.

Avatar image for vfighter
#96 Posted by VFighter (4787 posts) -

@mosquitobaby: Stop with the dipshit troll alt account then, seems simple to me?

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#97 Posted by SecretPolice (35068 posts) -

Pesky NDA forbids me from being precise but X1 sold though numbers are pegging at about 72 million as of last month but don't tell'em where you Herd this. :P

Avatar image for howmakewood
#98 Posted by Howmakewood (5790 posts) -

@lundy86_4:

You trying to converse with a dude whose standard argument repertoire consist of "cuck" "soyboys" "betamale"

Avatar image for shellcase86
#99 Posted by shellcase86 (4349 posts) -

People who originally got a PS4, may wanted to pick up a Xbone done the line -- especially given all the discounts and giveaways.

Also, Xbox fans seem more likely to buy multiple consoles per household compared to Playstation and Nintendo fans.

Avatar image for tormentos
#100 Edited by tormentos (28697 posts) -

@tormentos said:

The xbox one is a failure even by the 360 standard, the xbox 360 by June 2011 had 55 million units.

We are 2 months from the exact same time frame and the XBO is basically trailing the xbox 360 by close to 15 millions units.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-xbox-360-sales-accelerating/

It took the PS3 4 years and 5 months to reach 50 millions units the xbox one is 5 years and 5 months as is 10 millions behind with 1 year more of time.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2011/04/15/playstation-3-sales-reach-50-million-units-worldwide

So even the PS3 which lemmings consider to be a disaster beat the xbox one effortlessly sales wise and the PS3 started at $100 more.

Hey @kingtito look how the xbox one is far behind the 360 how is that possible when the xbox one started much faster,i guess the urge to buy an S,X or Sad model aren't so high as they were for the xbox 360 slim back in 2010. Gee i wonder why..lol