How the hell did the Xbox ONE sell so much?

#1 Edited by MosquitoBaby (77 posts) -

Granted, it's still poor compared to the 360, let's not even mention the PS4 which woop its butt this gen.

But 40 million units sold for a console with no games, who exactly is buying it? When you have a widely superior consoles like the PS4 and Nintendo Switch!

I like Japan, the Xbox ONE sells less than 150 units weekly, exactly what it should sell worldwide.

#2 Posted by LEGEND_C4A (3080 posts) -

This is what's on your mind on a saturday morning? Wow.....

#3 Edited by joebones5000 (2090 posts) -

It's that PlayStation controller and it's barely functioning online service. Both are horrendous on the PlayStation and are completely unforgivable, and single player games like god of war don't make up for how atrocious the PlayStation controller is. That's really it.

#4 Edited by Nike_Air (19263 posts) -

Bargain Bin prices and milkage - S and X models

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#5 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24033 posts) -

Lots of promos and discounts

#6 Edited by MosquitoBaby (77 posts) -

@joebones5000 said:

It's that PlayStation controller and it's barely functioning online service. Both are horrendous on the PlayStation and are completely unforgivable, and single player games like god of war don't make up for how atrocious the PlayStation controller is. That's really it.

And yet the PS4 is close to reaching 100 million units sold with multiple GOTY award winning games, try again.

#7 Posted by joebones5000 (2090 posts) -

@mosquitobaby said:
@joebones5000 said:

And yet the PS4 is close to reaching 100 million units sold with multiple GOTY award winning games, try again.

No doubt the ps4 is the best console on the market for games, 100%. Just saying that there is a large group of people out there, nearly half the amount who bought a ps4. who just can't deal with the controller and crappy online.

The ONLY thing the xbox one has over the ps4 is the controller and LIVE. Everything else, ps4 dominates.

#8 Posted by MonsieurX (38982 posts) -

Hey look, a brand new alt asking the same questions over and over

#9 Posted by Tigerbalm (1072 posts) -

Xbone hadn't sold 40million, more like 30 million.

#10 Posted by DaVillain- (35971 posts) -

Well, the Xbox One S is supposed to be one of the cheaper 4k blu-ray players, so that maybe the reason why it's selling more units. I am also an avid PC gamer, but even I can say not every gamer likes PC gaming and owning Xbox One S/X is also a reason to pick one up.

#12 Posted by VFighter (4787 posts) -

@joebones5000: That's as much of a dumbass response as the tc's post. Lesson here is not to be a dumbass.

#13 Posted by adsparky (1301 posts) -

The most common answer people tell me when I asked them is: "It was really cheap"

#14 Posted by npiet1 (2048 posts) -

I bought 2. Had to sell one after a year of release for medication for my misses. I bought it for Halo and Gears. Gamepass helped a lot. I use it every couple of months when new games are added to GP. They are really great media players though.

#15 Edited by Archangel3371 (27547 posts) -

I bought one and use it as my primary console because I love most of their games like Halo, Gears of War, Forza, etc. I’m not interested in PC gaming so I don’t care about them putting their games on the PC. I use the system for any and all multiplatform games because I prefer the controller, online, and ecosystem of the console. Their backwards compatibility support has been really good as well so that’s certainly another bonus.

#16 Posted by Pedro (33891 posts) -

Maybe the real world is not full of fanboys who dedicate their life pondering the Xbox.

#17 Posted by Ten_Pints (3752 posts) -

There are a lot of people who don't know better such as parents buying for their children who know nothing about consoles or gaming. Then you have people in the US buy it because it's perceived to be American even though it's more than likely made in China and it's a huge multinational company that has zero loyalties other than to make money.

#18 Edited by commander (15357 posts) -

at the beginning of this gen it had a lot of games a lot sooner, games like smite, elite dangerous, world of tanks.

It also had fifa legends, which is big feat for fifa players, it only became available for ps4 in fifa 2018.

Certain games are just not available on the ps4, forza, halo, magic duels, if you're into those games (like I play magic duels a lot) a ps4 can't help me.

It has backwards compatible games.

The controller is also different, and considered better by many.

It's better when it comes to multimedia, when I use an internet browser on the playstation , it sometimes isn't able to play certain content (video/audio) or just plain not to load certain sites properly.

Price may be a factor too,

I certainly can understand why people choose a ps4 over an xbox, the graphics is defenitely better but the content still matters, I don't care much for sony exclusives and have a pc vr headset. I did have to buy it buy it 4 bloodborne tho. Then I sold and bought one again to test the vr headset and mayb play horizon or days gone, but my brother has taken it to play rdr2.

Frankly I don't use it anyway and if i'm really that bored I'll just buy another one to maybe play hzd one of these days.

#19 Posted by I_P_Daily (11379 posts) -

Poor OP, he has a sore arse over Xbox sales. I say OP...

#20 Posted by xantufrog (11155 posts) -

@mosquitobaby said:
a console with no games

well, it has over a thousand games, actually

#21 Posted by sealionact (3788 posts) -

@mosquitobaby: Dunno. Better games, better controller, better features, better services, better online, better aesthetics but a worse launch I'm guessing.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#22 Posted by storm_of_swords (2741 posts) -

I don't know why I'm going to respond to such a fanboy thread with a serious answer, but I will...

-Many people consider the Xbox controller to be far better than the Playstation controller.

-For anybody that cares a lot about online gaming, Xbox Live is the gold standard for online gaming.

-Some people like the type of exclusives that the Xbox One has and don't give a damn if they are also available on PC because they prefer to play on a console.

-Some people don't care about the type of exclusives that dominate the PS4's library (i.e. Movie-games and JRPGs).

-It offers backwards compatiblity with the Xbox 360's fantastic library of games. Even some original Xbox games too.

-The Xbox One makes for a great Ultra HD Blu-ray player which no other console offers.

-The Xbox One X is the most powerful console on the market.

#23 Posted by pelvist (7364 posts) -

Some people are really stupid and don't listen to/choose to ignore advice from others, that's why.

#24 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6664 posts) -

Welcome back recloud.

#25 Posted by EG101 (1965 posts) -

It's the only affordable HW that reaches 4K more often than not in AAA games and my 4K HDR TV loves it ;-P

#26 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (532 posts) -

I doubt it has actually hit 40 million sold. 40 million is an optimistic estimate and there's nothing to be optimistic about when it comes XB1 sales. The sales fell off a cliff years ago and I'm sure they are dwindling every year MS continues to release trash like Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3.

#27 Posted by pdogg93 (1526 posts) -

No idea TC, the console is a bit of a joke

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#28 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13563 posts) -

Funny, for a console with no games, I have trouble deciding which to play next. There's so many to choose from.

#29 Posted by GarGx1 (10928 posts) -

I imagine most people either went into a shop and bought one or ordered from an online store. It's the only main ways I can think of them selling any at all.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#30 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4330 posts) -

Discounts, discounts and discounts. By all intents and purposes, Xbox One is a failure. Microsoft's desperation to put this box in homes in the only markets that ever cared about the brand didn't really get them as many quality customers, only people looking to get in on gaming this gen at the cheapest price. For example, the sales splits we see in third party games weigh heavily in PS4's favor despite both consoles not being that far apart in sales in the US and UK.

Xbox One is a bargain bin item compared to their rival, so they try to keep things as cheap as possible without resorting to another official permanent price cut for optics. A sale here, a sale there rather frequently month to month. This is what's been keeping it afloat. The box plays most of the same third party games as their rival, and a lot of people, mainly in the US and UK, only look at the price tag before making the choice. Especially around holiday time.

#31 Edited by raugutcon (5484 posts) -

@mosquitobaby: oh well, I purchased 5 so far, got 3 of my own and 2 were gifts to my nephews, PS4s ? got two, fat and slim.

#32 Posted by robert_sparkes (2905 posts) -

The thing is the console itself is a well built machine I just wish ms didn't lose interest so early in the generation.

#33 Edited by BassMan (10021 posts) -

Honestly, X1 will go down as one of the worst consoles ever. It is under powered compared to PS4, has a shit UI/Dashboard that was a downgrade from 360, and no noteworthy exclusives other than the Forza games and Ori. Let's not forget about the terrible reveal, policies, forced Kinect, etc.. Pretty terrible effort by MS. The only positives from MS this gen is Xbox Play Anywhere and Game Pass.

#34 Posted by Random_Matt (3927 posts) -

It sells on patriotism and their love of guns, seems pretty conclusive if you delve into the sales by region. Outside of the USA it does not sell, it's not like the 360 where it fared a bit better, but then again that gen MS actually had more variety on the game front.

#35 Posted by AJStyles (735 posts) -

The desperate massive price drops they keep on having are the only reason it sold 30-40 million consoles.

People will buy trash if it’s cheap enough.

#36 Posted by XVision84 (15780 posts) -

My running theory is that Microsoft paid off all their customers to buy an Xbox.

#37 Edited by BoxRekt (959 posts) -

There were enough simple minded people in the US to get Trump elected.

With that many shortsighted people in the US it wouldn't be hard. Notice I say the US. Most other countries population isn't quite that dumb.

#38 Posted by robert_sparkes (2905 posts) -

It seems ms are focused more on games they couldn't have got any worse following this gen. hardware will probably be secondary.

#39 Posted by lundy86_4 (52606 posts) -

Well, this thread is new...

#40 Posted by clone01 (27438 posts) -

I like mine a lot.

#41 Posted by blamix (791 posts) -

People are dumb

#42 Posted by onesiphorus (2819 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

With that many shortsighted people in the US it wouldn't be hard. Notice I say the US. Most other countries population isn't quite that dumb.

Do you need to bring partisan politics here because of your frustrations over the continued successes of the current administration? Enough!

#43 Posted by sonicare (56645 posts) -

I dont think the average consumer goes out and thinks in terms of Gamespot AAA exclusives. They probably just like to play certain games on whatever console pleases them. It's like how does subaru sell cars. I guess they just do.

#44 Posted by SaltSlasher (997 posts) -

This belongs in 2014, cause who really bought a $500 Xbox One....

But when One S came, it outsold PS4 in NPD til PS4 Pro came. And ever since I believe they been averaging 10 million a year, and definitely doing so with X.

I think Xbox's image is in a way better place than it was going into 2017, had they not fixed it, I imagine they'd be selling 150 a day.

#45 Edited by Xabiss (2479 posts) -

Love my X for multiplats, great system! Plus Game Pass has been pretty awesome also. Pretty easy to see why. BTW fanboys are a pathetic bunch of people and Cows are at the very top always talking about a system they have absolutely no interest in. Just pathetic to be honest.

PS4 Pro is great for exclusives and Switch is awesome for mobility. What a great generation this has been.

#47 Posted by Pedro (33891 posts) -

@onesiphorus said:
@boxrekt said:

Do you need to bring partisan politics here because of your frustrations over the continued successes of the current administration? Enough!

The irony in your comment.

#48 Posted by MosquitoBaby (77 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@mosquitobaby: Dunno. Better games, better controller, better features, better services, better online, better aesthetics but a worse launch I'm guessing.

Lol, give it up with the worst launch excuse. The PS3 had a bad launch as well, yet ended up beating the 360 at the end. Microsoft is still getting raped by both Sony and Nintendo.

#49 Edited by MosquitoBaby (77 posts) -

@onesiphorus said:
@boxrekt said:

Lol success of what? The economy? Because Obama dropped the unemployment rate bigger than any other president since FDR, with a whoping 5.2%. Trump, has only dropped it 0.3% < Wow such a big economic miracle.

EDIT: Actually 5.2%.

#50 Posted by rzxv04 (537 posts) -

I am actually amazed that xbox is still selling this much. I think it's realistic to think it'll only do better next round.