How often do you make purchases to support your favorite company?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for harnessthepower
HarnessThePower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How often do you make purchases to support your favorite company? (71 votes)

Often 24%
Sometimes 21%
Rarely 18%
Never 48%

How often do you go out and purchase consoles/games/accessories/DLC just to support your favorite company?

For example: PS3 was struggling hard due to its price tag, but I purchased two (living room and bedroom), as well as several games I knew probably weren't good, just to help support the brand, knowing they would eventually come out with great stuff if only they could remain economically viable.

• 
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#1 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Wat. You bought things you didn't even need or want just to support a corporation?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I just buy what looks appealing to me, or take a chance if a company has earned goodwill with me. It's never about support though.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

I make purchases on what I like first and foremost.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#4 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@Archangel3371: Same. I buy what I'm interested in playing. Not much sways me from that.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

I just buy whatever is gonna make me high. Yes, get high on buying games that interest me, I really don't care who makes them.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

I dont really make purchases for a company, if anything I make purchases to support a franchise that I love

Avatar image for deactivated-58e7bee46c6be
deactivated-58e7bee46c6be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-58e7bee46c6be
Member since 2017 • 44 Posts

I did buy the nasty Yakuza Dead Souls game not to "support" but to show Sega we care about the franchise. But then the game flopped so hard we had to wait 3 years and a lot of begging and petitioning in order to convince Sega that we wanted Yakuza 5. I even joined a group called, Yakuza Fan, where we planned email campaigns and stuff, it was ridiculous but we had a lot of help from Shenmue groups and Operation Rain Fall too.

At the end of the day the real hero was Sony with the #BuidingTheList campaign.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Rarely or never IDK. If I had a friend working in specific field of that corp i might help a bit but im not sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I have resolved to single handedly keep Nintendo afloat by buying whatever shit they put out at least twice.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Who the blazes buys things to support a company?

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

I buy my games often.

HarnessThePower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HarnessThePower
Member since 2017 • 267 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Wat. You bought things you didn't even need or want just to support a corporation?

Not exactly. The point is to support a company while it's going through a tough time, or to support smaller developers just for the sake of it, even if you know the game isn't going to be amazing.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#13  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

lol @ the OP supporting a multi billion dollar corporation.

For me, it's not a binary thing, but more or less the adoption of the product at a games' listed price. I rarely buy day one, but if the developer is deserving for whatever reason, then I'd reward them with a full price purchase on a game that I would have gotten cheaper down the line. It usually occurs with some indie game. Obviously, I'd have to be interested in the product to begin with. I'm fairly used to the practice since this is very common within music culture.

Every Humble Store purchase I make is because of this. Devs get a higher cut through that store through the widget at the expense of me giving up my Steam refund privileges. I guess the charity tip is a bonus on top as well.

Most recently. Hollow Knight I got because it was developed here and I liked what I saw from the trailer.

One outlier I can think of are the various ports or rereleases of Japanese games that have been surfacing on PC over the past few years. It's more got to do with supporting the idea and for developers to get a clue that people want them on the PC platform.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Fanboy detected

Never bother to "support" a company just cause.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cainetao11

Always. Just bought my third holo lens

HarnessThePower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HarnessThePower
Member since 2017 • 267 Posts

@cainetao11: Third?? Isn't that a bit much?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I think the only time I do this is to support that company doing good localization work in Korea. Korean console market is feeble, and w are just getting increase in localization nowadays. I prefer playing JRPGs in Asian language, so whenever Falcom localizes their game into Korean, I buy them. But the fact that I actually like Falcom games probably matter more.

Other than that, CD Projekt?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cainetao11

@harnessthepower: LOL ?

Imagine? At 3k each LOL

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Why would i support a multi million or a multi billion company? If the game is worth buying, i'll get it. If its shit, that dev better try harder if they want my $60.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Never, I buy whatever interest me or what I want to play, but I would think buy something just to "help" a gigantic company out. That's just idiotic.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I bought booster packs on magic duels whilst never needing them, I bought skyrim three times.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I buy games because I like them, not to support whoever made them. If a company goes under because they made bad games no one wanted, so be it. There's been so many who went under. The good part is, there's always another startup to take their place.

My favorite PC developer/publisher was Microprose. It's been dead for a long, long time.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I love pretty much every game, NIS develops. I usually buy every DLC they put out, even though I usually don't "need" them all. While wanting to own all the content those games have, I also have this thought that helping them making money will increase the budget of following games. I also bought games like Disgaea on every system it released and besides the PC, I spent several 100 hours on all systems I own it on.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34581 Posts

Why would I do that? Unless I give the company several million dollars, they won't even notice. "Support the brand". LOL. Go ahead and throw your money away and tell yourself you're doing some kind of difference. It's really fucking stupid, but do go ahead.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@Litchie said:

Why would I do that? Unless I give the company several million dollars, they won't even notice. "Support the brand". LOL. Go ahead and throw your money away and tell yourself you're doing some kind of difference. It's really fucking stupid, but to go ahead.

It really depends on the company, you know? There actually are small devs putting their games online. The next thing would be Kickstarter, where you can literally be one of a few hundred to make a game come real.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

When they make stuff I want.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@Archangel3371: Same. I buy what I'm interested in playing. Not much sways me from that.

I buy what im interested in too

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

I send nude pictures of myself to Sony headquarters all the time as a thank you.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

I'll buy Bioware a coffee if they fix the facial animations.

Only spending money on things I'm going to use.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I only buy games i'm interested about, but i rarely support companies i dislike (Ubisoft, Activision, EA, etc). I do like to support indies devs, though.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Why would i support a multi million or a multi billion company? If the game is worth buying, i'll get it. If its shit, that dev better try harder if they want my $60.

This. If you produce rubbish, I won't buy it. Simple as that.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34581 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:
@Litchie said:

Why would I do that? Unless I give the company several million dollars, they won't even notice. "Support the brand". LOL. Go ahead and throw your money away and tell yourself you're doing some kind of difference. It's really fucking stupid, but to go ahead.

It really depends on the company, you know? There actually are small devs putting their games online. The next thing would be Kickstarter, where you can literally be one of a few hundred to make a game come real.

Sure. Even small indies probably wont care if you buy their game once or thrice, though, but I was mostly referring to TC and his purchase of two PS3's in order to support the brand. To think Sony needs support in the form of him buying another PS3, is what I find fucking stupid.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44038 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Indeed....

Nuff said.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1070 Posts

Lmfao no. If I'm interested in a game I'll most likely purchase it.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Seriously now, who voted 'often'? What's wrong with you?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@nethernova said:

Seriously now, who voted 'often'? What's wrong with you?

I voted "often." I have to admit though, I voted before reading TC's post. I don't buy things that don't interest me in the hopes of getting things that do down the line. A single person buying a few games won't make a difference.

What I've done in the past, especially with indie games, is buy multiple copies to show my support. I bought Rocket League on Xbox One and PC because I enjoyed it so much in the beta, and from PS+ that I wanted to say "thank you" to the dev buy purchasing multiple copies. I did the same with Disc Jam and Trackmania Turbo recently. I know they won't ever notice what I did personally, but I know they appreciate the support and I appreciate the work they do. Then there are games like Halo Wars 2 and Eve Valkyrie that I will pour more money into through micro-transactions because I enjoy them, and I want games like those to continue to get support. I don't care if those games chart on the NPD or anything, I just want the ability to be able to play them and receive new content from time to time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

If they are a relatively small developer that seems to have some good internal politics (pays employers well, limits crunch time have reasonable working conditions and not driven by political ideals which they lambast others with) and generally makes the genres of games I like? Yeah it happens.

I would not support a large corp, or a dev that has a multibillion turnover (with the exception of CDP Red or black). But Devs such as tripwire, Obsidian, Inexile, harebrained schemes, Larian, and such I tend to support, and more willing to give a chance on new and different games.

Larger ones such as EA, Activision and Ubisoft? or worse 1st party games? Nope. I would not even entertain the thought.

On a bit of an odd note however, I do find myself sometimes buying SEGA games and SE games on a whim, maybe I feel that they are not as big, nor able to take as big of a hit, even through I logically know they would be. But then again, they rarely make a bad game..

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

Almost never last 6 months my spending habits. I try a beta if i dislike it i don't buy and leave it at that.

I tried Ghost Recon Wildlands and For Honor, Overwatch and i skipped the games for various reasons. I liked Overwatch i may pick it up eventually on sale.

I tried Halo Wars 2 beta, Battlefield 1, Gears 4 and FH3 and bought those games. I also bought infinite Warfare game but i got that for 20 Euros when it was on sale.

I want to buy the new Final Fantasy but waiting for the Scorpio version.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Often. Rarely does this include video game companies.... I'd even go out of my way not to support Sony, MS, Nintendo, EA, and Ubisoft.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#40 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

Never to support a company, but I do have brand loyalty if I had good experiences in the past.

For example, I really like Sony Stereos. I have had good experiences in the past with them and will probably continue to buy them. Same goes with Playstation

I don't have luck with Vizio TVs and will probably never buy one again. (The last one I had died under 6 months of use)

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

multi billion dollar corporations don't need my support

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

not really a company per se.

but i give higher priority to games released for linux over games not on linux and generally buy games using the linux version of the steam client. if i get a whiff that a newly released game will get a linux build after launch then i will hold off on the purchase. but i still dont buy games i know i wont enjoy.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#43 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Never. If I did that, I would have like 30 fleshlights by now.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#44 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

never do that but I always end up with Sony system because they have that variety that no other consol have

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#45 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I only offer moral support.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Not often... very rarely do I do it. Last time I did something like that was when I bought The Last Guardian close to launch day to support more unique games like it even though I knew the game wouldnt be worthy full price. That and the fact SotC is my GOAT... I also remember buying Killzone 2 on launch day to support PS3 exclusives cause at the time they were having a hard time to sell

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Rarely. I often buy gaming-related products that are unrelated to my favorite companies.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

Considered picking this up the other day, it probably has lower sales, it's a game we don't see much of and it wasn't riddled with dlc. More to the point, it looks great.

The Steam forums have less grounded reasoning. They will defend price hikes, poor ports, no localization (learn to read bro!), microtransactions, day 1 dlc and all sorts of misfortunes thrust upon the consumer in the name of attachment.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I buy every single Bohemia Interactive game and expansion as soon as it comes out. Some of these games I dont really like that much but the amount of hours I have spent enjoying the Arma series more than makes up for it and if me buying all their stuff contributes to more of that then I will happily do my bit.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#50 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Just whenever I can.