How Much Will Xbox Scorpio Cost? It's a "Premium Product," Microsoft Says

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#1 Posted by SecretPolice (32746 posts) -

Who cares, just name your price MS and I'll take a dozen. lol

Anyhooie, what's your best guess on Scorpio pricing?

For extra SP credit, what's the highest price you'd be willing to pay? Of course, we don't know all the details yet but anyway, just for fun.

The Story.

---

How Much Will Xbox Scorpio Cost? It's a "Premium Product," Microsoft Says

"It is going to be a very high-end product."

Microsoft isn't talking specifics about the Xbox Scorpio's price just yet. But in a new interview, Xbox marketing boss Aaron Greenberg said Microsoft sees the system as a "premium product."

This would suggest the device would be on the more expensive side, which is to be expected, given it's being referred to as the "most powerful console ever made."

"Well, we think about it as a premium product," Greenberg told DualShockers. "From that standpoint, it is going to be a very high-end product."

The executive went on to say that it's not uncommon for PC gamers to spend "thousands of dollars" on a 4K-compatible gaming rig. He said he's excited about figuring out how to bring 4K gaming "at scale to a really big audience in the console space." This would suggest the Scorpio price would be sub-$1000.

Greenberg added that Microsoft is "not talking at all about more more details about that" right now, instead electing to save those details for later.

The Xbox One launched at $500, though the price fell down to $400 (the same price as the PlayStation 4 at launch) after Microsoft removed Kinect from the bundle.

What Greenberg could say about Scorpio is that Microsoft wants people to know it's a completely new console with a "whole new set of capabilities," including virtual reality support. At the same time, however, the system will work with the games and controllers you already own--which is something of a new idea in the console space. In past generations, like from Xbox 360 to Xbox One, controllers and games for the older system were not compatible with the new one (though Xbox One backwards compatibility has solved some of that). It's worth noting, too, that Sony's PlayStation Neo will also be backwards compatible.

Greenberg went on to echo what he and other Microsoft executives have been saying about Scorpio since its announcement at E3: the idea traditional console generation may be over. In the DualShockers interview, Greenberg referred to this as "gaming beyond console generations."

"If you put the gamer at the center of everything we do, the content that they own should be able to come with them from device to device," he said. "That's why we're bringing our games to Xbox Play Anywhere and across PC, with will also be able to come with them from console to console. That's really part of that vision and we're really excited to be able to innovate and to do that over the next year."

Scorpio may be the final console in what is known as a traditional console generation, but Microsoft is already thinking about what's coming next after this system comes out.

Also in the DualShockers interview, Greenberg said he is "confident" that Microsoft will be able to deliver "true 4K gaming" with Scorpio. He said the system's six teraflops of GPU performance is a "massive amount of power." Microsoft has yet to show any games running on Scorpio.

Scorpio launches in holiday 2017. As for Sony's PlayStation Neo, the company is expected to formally announce this system during an event in New York City next month.

Avatar image for Pedro
#2 Posted by Pedro (29168 posts) -

It would most likely be starting at $399.

Avatar image for NFJSupreme
#3 Posted by NFJSupreme (6546 posts) -

$500 seams about right

Avatar image for iandizion713
#4 Posted by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

Yeah, $399 sounds bout right. Will sell good with that price i feel.

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#5 Edited by Shewgenja (19564 posts) -

The Bluray will make it cost $1000.

(A punchline 10 years in the making)

Avatar image for kvally
#6 Posted by kvally (8445 posts) -

I would pay $600 as of now.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#7 Posted by SecretPolice (32746 posts) -

Wow, you guys guessing pretty darn low so far. Hmm, Stressing the " Premium Product" I'm thinking there will be way more to this machine with lots-o-bells and whistles than just a 6TF console I'm thinking about $599.99 myself. If it's lower that's just bonus for me. :P

Avatar image for Zero_epyon
#8 Edited by Zero_epyon (12129 posts) -

My guess would be $499. Though I wouldn't be surprised if I see a $599 tag. Can't really tell until they bring out the specs. That's probably why they can't name a price either.

Avatar image for flyincloud1116
#9 Edited by Flyincloud1116 (6418 posts) -

LOL at $399 and $500, leMS are truly delusional.

He is preparing them for a hard one with no vaseline.

Avatar image for Phazevariance
#10 Posted by Phazevariance (12278 posts) -

@NFJSupreme said:

$500 seams about right

$499.99 so it seems cheaper right? ... yeah seems about right since they will still be selling X1S consoles at the same time and it won't be cheaper than that console.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#11 Posted by SecretPolice (32746 posts) -

@kvally said:

I would pay $600 as of now.

At the price I'll figure you to take a bakers dozen. lol

Avatar image for Legend002
#13 Posted by Legend002 (13385 posts) -

No less than $600. I expect it that much as Neo should be around $450-$500.

Avatar image for Coolyfett
#14 Posted by Coolyfett (5793 posts) -

@SecretPolice: Coolyfett is hoping for a 999.99 Price tag. That would be great for the Xbox Scorpio

Avatar image for howmakewood
#15 Posted by Howmakewood (4978 posts) -

500+

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#16 Edited by SecretPolice (32746 posts) -

@Coolyfett said:

@SecretPolice: Coolyfett is hoping for a 999.99 Price tag. That would be great for the Xbox Scorpio

10 TF Monster Box Confirmed. Bring it on baby!! :P

Avatar image for Telekill
#17 Posted by Telekill (7610 posts) -

My guess is $500.

Avatar image for Pedro
#18 Posted by Pedro (29168 posts) -

An AMD 5.5TFlops retail value card is at $200 today. Why would 6TFlops cost more than what 5.5TFlops cost today over a year later? That is the logic in some of the suggested prices.

Avatar image for Coolyfett
#19 Posted by Coolyfett (5793 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:
@Coolyfett said:

@SecretPolice: Coolyfett is hoping for a 999.99 Price tag. That would be great for the Xbox Scorpio

10 TF Monster Box Confirmed. Bring it on baby!! :P

Everyone can afford a 1000.00 Xbox with ease. 1000.00 should be the price for all Xbox fans.

Avatar image for flyincloud1116
#20 Posted by Flyincloud1116 (6418 posts) -

$699+ confirmed.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#21 Posted by SecretPolice (32746 posts) -

@Coolyfett said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Coolyfett said:

@SecretPolice: Coolyfett is hoping for a 999.99 Price tag. That would be great for the Xbox Scorpio

10 TF Monster Box Confirmed. Bring it on baby!! :P

Everyone can afford a 1000.00 Xbox with ease. 1000.00 should be the price for all Xbox fans.

Right, like Sony said with the 599.99 BS3; get a second job if needed you bunch of no good losers. lolololol :P

Avatar image for Alucard_Prime
#22 Posted by Alucard_Prime (9138 posts) -

I really don't know honestly, and I say this because of the Xbox One S. I've seen numerous reviews state that its basically a must-have purchase if you are in the market for a 4K Blue Ray player, as the Samsung one is more expensive and it is not even a console.

So the Scorpio may surprise us in a similar fashion where it might have some high end components and not end up costing too much. So I dont really have any expectations, could be premium pricing or not.....will get a better idea when more details are revealed I guess. But in the end I just doubt it would break the 500-600$ barrier

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
#23 Edited by deactivated-58abb194ab6fb (3984 posts) -

I would say $500...........would be shocked if they went to $600 but definitely $400-$500

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
#24 Posted by deactivated-58abb194ab6fb (3984 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:
@Coolyfett said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Coolyfett said:

@SecretPolice: Coolyfett is hoping for a 999.99 Price tag. That would be great for the Xbox Scorpio

10 TF Monster Box Confirmed. Bring it on baby!! :P

Everyone can afford a 1000.00 Xbox with ease. 1000.00 should be the price for all Xbox fans.

Right, like Sony said with the 599.99 BS3; get a second job if needed you bunch of no good losers. lolololol :P

Don't get that started again, you know who will crawl out his mom's basement and defend Sony's words and decision with every breathe in his/her body.

Avatar image for flyincloud1116
#25 Posted by Flyincloud1116 (6418 posts) -

@Coolyfett: $1000.00 for the elite crowd.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#26 Posted by SecretPolice (32746 posts) -

@BigShotSmoov007 said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Coolyfett said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Coolyfett said:

@SecretPolice: Coolyfett is hoping for a 999.99 Price tag. That would be great for the Xbox Scorpio

10 TF Monster Box Confirmed. Bring it on baby!! :P

Everyone can afford a 1000.00 Xbox with ease. 1000.00 should be the price for all Xbox fans.

Right, like Sony said with the 599.99 BS3; get a second job if needed you bunch of no good losers. lolololol :P

Don't get that started again, you know who will crawl out his mom's basement and defend Sony's words and decision with every breathe in his/her body.

Laughed out loud and still laughing on the inside, thanks. :D

Avatar image for def_mode
#27 Posted by def_mode (4216 posts) -

Scorpio is already a mid range pc so if it gets released today, we're looking at north of $500. If they release it by the end of next year, which it will be comparable to a low end pc, it will be cheaper. $399

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
#28 Posted by chikenfriedrice (13561 posts) -

$500 or less or it can kiss my arse.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#29 Edited by SecretPolice (32746 posts) -

@def_mode said:

Scorpio is already a mid range pc so if it gets released today, we're looking at north of $500. If they release it by the end of next year, which it will be comparable to a low end pc, it will be cheaper. $399

Huh, cool, $199.99 Neo incoming. I just might bite at that price. fingers crossed. :P

Avatar image for kvally
#30 Posted by kvally (8445 posts) -

Neo Flop should be $399 max.

Avatar image for darkangel115
#31 Posted by darkangel115 (4449 posts) -

500-600 anything more then 600 would price them out of the market IMO. even 600 is pushing it. the S is retailing at 299 so 500 would be almost double and 600 would be double. sounds about right for a premium product.

the PS4 is retailing at 350, so I'd expect neo to be about 500. I can't imagine them pricing it only 50 dollars more. I think MS will wait and see what sony prices the neo at and either match it or undercut it

Avatar image for def_mode
#32 Posted by def_mode (4216 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:
@def_mode said:

Scorpio is already a mid range pc so if it gets released today, we're looking at north of $500. If they release it by the end of next year, which it will be comparable to a low end pc, it will be cheaper. $399

Huh, cool, $199.99 Neo incoming. I just might bite at that price. fingers crossed. :P

A joke of a fanboy like you wouldn't even take it if it was for free.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#34 Posted by SecretPolice (32746 posts) -

@def_mode said:
@SecretPolice said:
@def_mode said:

Scorpio is already a mid range pc so if it gets released today, we're looking at north of $500. If they release it by the end of next year, which it will be comparable to a low end pc, it will be cheaper. $399

Huh, cool, $199.99 Neo incoming. I just might bite at that price. fingers crossed. :P

A joke of a fanboy like you wouldn't even take it if it was for free.

Lol, sorry about that Boooom, Headshot I gave you, I see....

Good, good, let it rustle through you. :P

Avatar image for dynamitecop
#35 Posted by dynamitecop (6395 posts) -

Given that it's 15 months away I expect the price of the Xbox One S 1TB to move to $299, the 500 to $249 and Scorpio to be $499 with a 2TB or larger SSHD hybrid drive similar to what is in the Xbox One Elite.

It's going to need a faster and larger HDD for the larger amounts of data.

Avatar image for AdobeArtist
#36 Posted by AdobeArtist (24789 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

Who cares, just name your price MS and I'll take a dozen. lol

@kvally said:

I would pay $600 as of now.

That's what Sony projected of their consumer mindset last gen and look at how that worked out.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
#37 Edited by deactivated-583c85dc33d18 (1619 posts) -

$700-$800.

I think having the Xbox One S down around the $300 range will allow Microsoft to release another console at a much higher price for the biggest fans.

Avatar image for PraetorianMan
#38 Posted by PraetorianMan (1859 posts) -

If they're emphasizing "premium product" then there's no chance in Hell it will start at $399

Avatar image for _Matt_
#39 Posted by _Matt_ (10447 posts) -

Somewhere between 500 and 600. Any less and it will be losing a lot of money, any more and it just won't sell enough

Avatar image for AdobeArtist
#40 Posted by AdobeArtist (24789 posts) -

@beardmad said:

$700-$800.

I think having the Xbox One S down around the $300 range will allow Microsoft to release another console at a much higher price for the biggest fans.

If you're spending that much you may as well get a PC that can meet all your gaming needs, offer better game deals (Steam, GOG, G2A, etc...), be more flexible, customizable, and upgradeable, and serve a multitude of functional purposes from social to productivity.

Avatar image for 22Toothpicks
#41 Posted by 22Toothpicks (12540 posts) -

@PraetorianMan: That's my guess as well. MS could easily sell it at a great value price ~$400 but with them beating the drum on it being "premium" leads me to believe it will be ~$600+. And, yes, I'm aware the BoM likely wont be that much but, again, "premium product."

Avatar image for emgesp
#42 Edited by emgesp (7553 posts) -

$400

There is nothing about the Scorpio that would make it all that more expensive to manufacture than what it cost Sony to manufacture the PS4 back in 2013. The Scorpio is simply what the PS4 NEO would have been if released in 2017. By the time the Scorpio is released you'll see 6+ Tflop GPU's selling for $150 and that's consumer prices.

Also, Premium doesn't necessarily mean expensive, compared to the $250 XB1 a $400 Scorpio would be considered a more premium product.

Avatar image for xghostprotocolx
#43 Posted by xGhostProtocolx (193 posts) -

Just like the XBOXONE it'll be $500 at launch. It'll then flop hard because of the high price, leaving M$ no choice but to lower it to $300 within a couple of months.

Thats why whoever buys it on launch day is a fool.

Avatar image for xxyetixx
#44 Posted by xxyetixx (2900 posts) -

@SecretPolice: right now I'm in the willingness of $600 or less range. that could increase or decrease for me as more info comes out.

But I just have a feeling MS is gonna drop this thing at $800 and say it's such a good deal "a PC with the same specs would cost thousands" smh

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
#45 Posted by deactivated-583c85dc33d18 (1619 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:
@beardmad said:

$700-$800.

I think having the Xbox One S down around the $300 range will allow Microsoft to release another console at a much higher price for the biggest fans.

If you're spending that much you may as well get a PC that can meet all your gaming needs, offer better game deals (Steam, GOG, G2A, etc...), be more flexible, customizable, and upgradeable, and serve a multitude of functional purposes from social to productivity.

You may as well buy a PC regardless, even with consoles at the $300-$400 level they are at now simply because of game deals, no online fee, tons of free content, and functionality.

It doesn't really matter because marketing. There are people on this very forum, whom you would assume have a better idea of what gaming has to offer overall, that have spent more on their consoles than they would have otherwise spent on a PC and got less games and worse game performance in doing so.

If people exposed to news about PC gaming will still buy consoles, then there are definitely people without any knowledge of PC gaming who will buy a premium-priced Scorpio or Neo. Marketing and brand names go a long way in today's world.

Avatar image for 22Toothpicks
#46 Posted by 22Toothpicks (12540 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:
@beardmad said:

$700-$800.

I think having the Xbox One S down around the $300 range will allow Microsoft to release another console at a much higher price for the biggest fans.

If you're spending that much you may as well get a PC that can meet all your gaming needs, offer better game deals (Steam, GOG, G2A, etc...), be more flexible, customizable, and upgradeable, and serve a multitude of functional purposes from social to productivity.

It's easy to say that as someone who knows how great PC gaming is but your average mainstream gamer wants to play on a console and wont even look into buying/building a PC. Scorpio is an opportunity for them to get the "best" hardware and without what they perceive to be the hassle of PC gaming; IME it remains a common misconception that PC gaming is a pain compared to the ease of use of consoles.

Avatar image for flyincloud1116
#47 Posted by Flyincloud1116 (6418 posts) -

It will come with a Louis Vuitton caring case.

Avatar image for emgesp
#48 Edited by emgesp (7553 posts) -

@SecretPolice: Premium product or not nobody is releasing a $599.99 console ever again. Also, Microsoft can't price themselves out of competition with the Neo. Sony still has crazy momentum and they are releasing their upgraded console possibly a full year ahead of Microsoft's Scorpio, so I fully expect Microsoft will match the price of the NEO.


Seriously, some of you guys are crazy thinking the Scorpio will cost more than $450. WTF would make the Scorpio cost $500+? 6 Tflops will be low midrange in late 2017.

Avatar image for tormentos
#49 Posted by tormentos (26719 posts) -

@Pedro:

A 7770 was $99 on 2013 and the xbox one was $500.

Last time a heard some one damage controlling a price tag like that the machine ended costing $600 and $500.