How long will this gen last?

  • 162 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Avatar image for True_Gamer_
True_Gamer_

6750

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Poll How long will this gen last? (98 votes)

Next console in fall 2017. 15%
Next console in fall 2018. 45%
Next console not earlier than 2021.... 40%

Last gen began with the 360 that owned €1000 PCs at launch in end 2005.

So the 360 survived for 8 years...

This gen the PS4 and more the Xbone are matched by €500 PCs at launch....and merely 1 year later PREBUILT €550 PCs (€420 prebuilt tower with 750 Ti slammed inside due to ridiculusly low power need)....

Ηow on earth will the consoles survive for 8 years on such weak hardware?

I predict the next xbox launch at fall 2017....with the PS5 following the next year.

 • 
Avatar image for jg4xchamp
jg4xchamp

64040

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Probably around the same length.

Avatar image for deadline-zero0
DEadliNE-Zero0

6607

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

MS and Sony don't give a shit about the hardware being outdated.

The PS4 and XB1 are being sold at a profit for the first time in console history (i belive)

Both MS and Sony still have around 4 Billion in losses from previous gens.

There's no way they'll release another console in less than 6 years.

MS might relese a new xbox a year or 2 (max) before the PS5 if the xb1 is losing in sales abit, just to get an early lead.

But even then you're looking at 6 to 9 years left in this gen.

My bet is 2021, 2022

Avatar image for lglz1337
lglz1337

4959

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

untill sony say so

Avatar image for Lulu_Lulu
Lulu_Lulu

19564

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

It will last as long as it continues to make money.

Avatar image for Boddicker
Boddicker

4458

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Probably around the same length.

This.

The planned lifespan and support of this gen will be 10 years as per last gen with next gen dropping 7-8 years in.

I don't see next gen consoles launching until 2020-2021.

Avatar image for alcapello
Alcapello

1396

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

It has only.....just begun.

Avatar image for Telekill
Telekill

12061

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Your poll sucks.

I think it will be around the same length; 6-7 years. I'm good with that as I'm not willing to throw down $400-$500 more than every five years anyway. It's a primary reason I don't do PC gaming much.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
Cloud_imperium

15146

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#8 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

2023-2024

Avatar image for True_Gamer_
True_Gamer_

6750

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@Telekill said:

Your poll sucks.

I think it will be around the same length; 6-7 years. I'm good with that as I'm not willing to throw down $400-$500 more than every five years anyway. It's a primary reason I don't do PC gaming much.

720p 30fps NON graphics wh**re PC gamers spend less....

Oh and why my poll sucks and not your smart post?

Avatar image for clr84651
clr84651

5643

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Topics asking a question that no one has the answer to is lame. Way too many in this forum all the time. The reason is because no matter what anyone says it's speculation. There's no finding a definite answer.

Avatar image for clr84651
clr84651

5643

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@Telekill said:

Your poll sucks.

I think it will be around the same length; 6-7 years. I'm good with that as I'm not willing to throw down $400-$500 more than every five years anyway. It's a primary reason I don't do PC gaming much.

The topic & poll suck. I may as well start asking what year the world will end. Lame!!!

It will last until it's done.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

7240

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

The only reason the last generation lasted so long was because of Kinect and PS Move. There was a good deal of R&D that went into both (maybe not ps move. That was just a wii remote with a plastic ball on the end and a wireless nunchuck) and they launched late in the generation. Both companies needed to support these new peripherals. People seem to forget that.

Avatar image for starwolf474
starwolf474

989

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I hope we go back to a normal 5 year cycle this gen. The last generation lasted way too long.

Given the poor sales of the Wii U, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo launch a new console/handheld hybrid in 2016. I think the next Xbox will probably launch in 2018 and the PS5 in 2019.

Avatar image for osan0
osan0

17857

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts

i think itll be a 5 year gen...back to normal basically. last gen went on too long.

5 years is enough time to develop a new console. its also enough time to make a console with a big enough hardware upgrade to make it worthwihile and its enough time for publishers and developers to make money on the console. if the console manufacturer themselves cant make money on the console in that time then there is something wrong with the way they are doing business.

the PS5 and X2 will probably use similar technology to the PS4 and X1 (just ramped up a lot and improved accross the board). so a new gen wont mean developers have to scrap all their current tech and start again either.

Avatar image for ryan347
ryan347

30

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By ryan347
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts

I think this will be a shorter generation. Nobody seems to be particularly impressed this time around. OOOO shiny graphics. Wait a second... my xbone downgraded to 720p wtf? Every generation in the past always introduced something NEW, and this generation does not. Also with VR right around the corner, I just dont think the generation has the power to support that technology. I was also disappointed that the 4k TVs are not more popular/ more supported with games.

Avatar image for Dibdibdobdobo
Dibdibdobdobo

6683

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#16 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Soon as Digital Distribution and Cloud Gaming becomes the norm. The PS5 and X2 wont be backwards compatible so all those Games you brought this gen will be sold as a remastering.

Avatar image for pyro1245
pyro1245

9416

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#18 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9416 Posts

2021, because developing a new console is very expensive.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if they upgraded at some point because in a few years the hardware will be a joke. I can see it now..... The PS4-2. Some games will only be available on the second version and other would work in both, with modified gfx settings, of course.

Avatar image for scartm
ScarTM

174

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#19 ScarTM
Member since 2014 • 174 Posts

7-8 years

I never understood the logic behind comparing console hardware to PC,when we have the older consoles to base our comparisons on.

Everyone keeps ranting about how PS3/360 were as good as gaming PCs at launch without realizing that PC gaming as a hobby wasn't nearly as popular and the PC gaming market wasn't nearly as mature and developed in 2006 as it is now.

How about using older consoles to decide how long the new ones will last ?.Crazy Idea , I know.

If 512MB of RAM that too shared between system memory and GPU can last us 8 years , then this generation of consoles should be able to manage 8-10 years without breaking a sweat.

Avatar image for True_Gamer_
True_Gamer_

6750

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#20 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@scartm said:

7-8 years

I never understood the logic behind comparing console hardware to PC,when we have the older consoles to base our comparisons on.

Everyone keeps ranting about how PS3/360 were as good as gaming PCs at launch without realizing that PC gaming as a hobby wasn't nearly as popular and the PC gaming market wasn't nearly as mature and developed in 2006 as it is now.

How about using older consoles to decide how long the new ones will last ?.Crazy Idea , I know.

If 512MB of RAM that too shared between system memory and GPU can last us 8 years , then this generation of consoles should be able to manage 8-10 years without breaking a sweat.

If tech is amazing and produces technical results that can stand the test of time then we have long gens....

4k PC gaming will start to become norm come next year....

Last gen nothing on PC could amaze on average hardware....

This gen $700 PCs will run 4k graphics maxxed games.....

$700 PCs couldnt touch the 360 only in late 2007 with 8800GT we saw something amazing on low price....2years after launch....

I cannot wait to see what late 2015 brings us...$100 GPU that runs console centric ports in 4k?

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

6843

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#21 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

I think it's probably be a 5-6 year generation.

The idea of ten years of the Xbone makes me want to vomit.

Avatar image for xscrapzx
xscrapzx

6636

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#22 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

@undefined: can we stop with the such weak hardware crap. It gets so old listening to it. I dont know how any of you gamed in the early to middle 90s.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

5811

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#23 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

fall 2018, 2019 at the latest. no way it lasts as long as last gen

Avatar image for blackace
blackace

23576

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#24 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Last gen will be 10 years. I think the 360 and PS3 will fade away in 2016. This gen should last at least 8-9 years I would think. So 2021-2022.

Avatar image for speedfog
speedfog

4966

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#25 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

3 more days

Avatar image for AutoPilotOn
AutoPilotOn

8655

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#26 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Hopefully 5 years MAX. Last gen was way to long.

Avatar image for Minishdriveby
Minishdriveby

10519

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#27 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Hopefully a decade.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

1318

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#28 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

Sony and Microsoft saw the huge sales the PS4 got. They realized waiting 6-7 years was a mistake. The awful software sales of anything other then GTA V on PS3 and 360 for the last couple of years told the whole story. People were sick of last gen.

PS5/Xbox Infinity will be here no later then 2018. The next Nintendo console if there is one a year before that.

Avatar image for True_Gamer_
True_Gamer_

6750

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#29 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@xscrapzx said:

@undefined: can we stop with the such weak hardware crap. It gets so old listening to it. I dont know how any of you gamed in the early to middle 90s.

When $400 laptops will run console ports 1080/60fps will be a sad day for consoles....

To fall from the heights of Xbox360 that ran Oblivion same as $1000+ PC (HDR + AA)?

Avatar image for M8ingSeezun
M8ingSeezun

2313

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#30 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

2029, when SKYNET unleashes death to consoles and PCs. And one super AI to rule them all.

Avatar image for scartm
ScarTM

174

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By ScarTM
Member since 2014 • 174 Posts

@True_Gamer_: Did my entire post just go over your head ?

4K pc gaming a norm next year ?.Not really.Not when 33% of the largest PC gaming community cannot even run games at 1080p.

Last-Gen could not do amazing things on mid-range PCs ?.That's arguable.

lol,700$ PCs running 4K + max settings,A single 780Ti cannot manage 4K @max settings,Neither can the upcoming maxwell cards 970 and 980.

700$ PCs couldn't touch the 360 because the PC graphic card market wasn't developed , as I said,you cannot use the state of PCs to determine how long will consoles last.2 Different markets.2 different situations.

EDIT: Corrections

Avatar image for True_Gamer_
True_Gamer_

6750

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#32 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@scartm said:

@True_Gamer_: Did my entire post just go over your head ?

4K pc gaming a norm next year ?.Not really.Not when 33% of the largest PC gaming community cannot even run games at 1080p.

Last-Gen could not do amazing things on mid-range PCs ?.That's arguable.

lol,700$ PCs running 4K + max settings,A single 780Ti cannot manage 4K @max settings,Neither can the upcoming maxwell cards 970 and 980.

700$ PCs couldn't touch the 360 because the PC graphic card market wasn't developed , as I said,you cannot use the state of PCs to determine how long will consoles last.2 Different markets.2 different situations.

EDIT: Corrections

Console centric ports like FIFA can run in 4k on a $700 PC easily....I was talking about those.

And no the 360 just costed ALOT to make and make HUGE losses in revenew to MS.... Loads of cash went into making it.

Can you say the same about the xbone? Heck the PS3 costed $840 to make (BR and all but still) .....Can you imagine a $840 costing PS4? Maxwell powered monster? GTX 980 in PS4? Imagine the possibilities? (The TDP is low the temperatures on stock too)

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

1318

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#33 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

@True_Gamer_ said:

@scartm said:

@True_Gamer_: Did my entire post just go over your head ?

4K pc gaming a norm next year ?.Not really.Not when 33% of the largest PC gaming community cannot even run games at 1080p.

Last-Gen could not do amazing things on mid-range PCs ?.That's arguable.

lol,700$ PCs running 4K + max settings,A single 780Ti cannot manage 4K @max settings,Neither can the upcoming maxwell cards 970 and 980.

700$ PCs couldn't touch the 360 because the PC graphic card market wasn't developed , as I said,you cannot use the state of PCs to determine how long will consoles last.2 Different markets.2 different situations.

EDIT: Corrections

Console centric ports like FIFA can run in 4k on a $700 PC easily....I was talking about those.

And no the 360 just costed ALOT to make and make HUGE losses in revenew to MS.... Loads of cash went into making it.

Can you say the same about the xbone? Heck the PS3 costed $840 to make (BR and all but still) .....Can you imagine a $840 costing PS4? Maxwell powered monster? GTX 980 in PS4? Imagine the possibilities? (The TDP is low the temperatures on stock too)

Not this again

Without bluray the PS3 would have launched at $399, just like the Xbox 360. The RSX was a dumbed down $299 7800GT, a card that was on the market for 16 months by the time the PS3 released.

PS3 was 10x stronger then PS2. PS4 is 10x stronger then the PS3 and far easier to develop for. End of story.

Avatar image for PAL360
PAL360

30573

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#34 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30573 Posts

It depends.

I think that consoles should last 5 or 6 years at most, and the then be replaced by better hardware. On the other hand, if the theories about the death of consoles and rise of stream boxes and smartphones, as main gaming devices, are true, then i want this gen to last forever.

Avatar image for GarGx1
GarGx1

10934

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#35 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

MS and Sony will milk this gen for as long as they can. They have profitable hardware from the go, that doesn't appear to be breaking down with any regular faults. This is the start of another 10 year console generation, so a new console from MS and Sony 2021 or 2022 and the Xbox One and PS4 phased out by 2024.

Nintendo will likely release a new console in 2018, as they never follow the other console manufacturers schedule's and stick to their own.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45365

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#36 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45365 Posts

Probably a while. It's too costly to keep switching systems.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

961

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#37 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

2023-2024

I'm interested in knowing why you think that though. With the hardware they have, most current games are already struggling to run on them. I can't see this last more than 5 years.

Avatar image for nutcrackr
nutcrackr

13032

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#38 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

2019, last year didn't even count, so already one year behind.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

1318

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#39  Edited By DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Probably a while. It's too costly to keep switching systems.

For who? You?

10 million people just bought the Iphone 6 for $500, a phone that they likely really didnt need

Theres a new $500 PC GPU being released every 2 months

Console gamers are so cheap they cant pay $399 every 5 years?

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
Cloud_imperium

15146

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#40 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@faizanhd said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

2023-2024

I'm interested in knowing why you think that though. With the hardware they have, most current games are already struggling to run on them. I can't see this last more than 5 years.

M$ mentioned 10 years in a lot of interviews and said that they hope that this gen will last longer . Even if this gen ends sooner , I don't expect next consoles to be traditional . I expect them to be streaming devices with all in one entertainment and stuff .

Avatar image for FoxbatAlpha
FoxbatAlpha

10669

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#41 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Remember how the Wii sold like crazy last gen? Then it's sales stopped one day.

That is what the PS4 will experience in the next few years. Right now it has the momentum that everyone must have one. Once the people wake up (like Wii owners) sales will stop and Sony will be forced to come out with the PS5.

Nintendo doesn't have the power to determine when a generation switches over, only Sony and Microsoft.

During this time the XBOX ONE will only be gaining momentum and expanding its exclusive library while pulling in new console owners.

My bullshit worth 2 cents for the day.

Avatar image for scartm
ScarTM

174

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#42 ScarTM
Member since 2014 • 174 Posts
@True_Gamer_ said:

@scartm said:

@True_Gamer_: Did my entire post just go over your head ?

4K pc gaming a norm next year ?.Not really.Not when 33% of the largest PC gaming community cannot even run games at 1080p.

Last-Gen could not do amazing things on mid-range PCs ?.That's arguable.

lol,700$ PCs running 4K + max settings,A single 780Ti cannot manage 4K @max settings,Neither can the upcoming maxwell cards 970 and 980.

700$ PCs couldn't touch the 360 because the PC graphic card market wasn't developed , as I said,you cannot use the state of PCs to determine how long will consoles last.2 Different markets.2 different situations.

EDIT: Corrections

Console centric ports like FIFA can run in 4k on a $700 PC easily....I was talking about those.

And no the 360 just costed ALOT to make and make HUGE losses in revenew to MS.... Loads of cash went into making it.

Can you say the same about the xbone? Heck the PS3 costed $840 to make (BR and all but still) .....Can you imagine a $840 costing PS4? Maxwell powered monster? GTX 980 in PS4? Imagine the possibilities? (The TDP is low the temperatures on stock too)

Goal post shifting already ?.

We went from 700$ PCs running 4K games at @max settings to just running in 4K.

Even so,It depends on your perception of easy.

FIFA is 1080p/60FPS on PS4/X1 now if you are implying that a 700$ PC can run it at 4K,same texture settings (high I think) and 60FPS then I'd like to see some proof.

Also,if you know why PS3 costed 840$ then why do you bring it up.As it was rightly pointed out PS3 would've been 399$ if not for the Blu-Ray player.

And I don't understand the relevance of this discussion.Simply put the condition of PCs cannot determine how long Consoles will last.

The PS3 was 256MB of system memory, 256MB of VRAM , a nerfed 7800GTX and lasted 8 years,even after taking into consideration Moore's law , the upgrade over the last generation of consoles is too big.PS4 and X1 won't break a sweat lasting 10 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

7431

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#43 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

around 2018, I think we are back to 5 year lifespans, I doubt 3rd party would be happy with another 8 year console cycle.

Avatar image for True_Gamer_
True_Gamer_

6750

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@scartm said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@scartm said:

@True_Gamer_: Did my entire post just go over your head ?

4K pc gaming a norm next year ?.Not really.Not when 33% of the largest PC gaming community cannot even run games at 1080p.

Last-Gen could not do amazing things on mid-range PCs ?.That's arguable.

lol,700$ PCs running 4K + max settings,A single 780Ti cannot manage 4K @max settings,Neither can the upcoming maxwell cards 970 and 980.

700$ PCs couldn't touch the 360 because the PC graphic card market wasn't developed , as I said,you cannot use the state of PCs to determine how long will consoles last.2 Different markets.2 different situations.

EDIT: Corrections

Console centric ports like FIFA can run in 4k on a $700 PC easily....I was talking about those.

And no the 360 just costed ALOT to make and make HUGE losses in revenew to MS.... Loads of cash went into making it.

Can you say the same about the xbone? Heck the PS3 costed $840 to make (BR and all but still) .....Can you imagine a $840 costing PS4? Maxwell powered monster? GTX 980 in PS4? Imagine the possibilities? (The TDP is low the temperatures on stock too)

Goal post shifting already ?.

We went from 700$ PCs running 4K games at @max settings to just running in 4K.

Even so,It depends on your perception of easy.

FIFA is 1080p/60FPS on PS4/X1 now if you are implying that a 700$ PC can run it at 4K,same texture settings (high I think) and 60FPS then I'd like to see some proof.

Also,if you know why PS3 costed 840$ then why do you bring it up.As it was rightly pointed out PS3 would've been 399$ if not for the Blu-Ray player.

And I don't understand the relevance of this discussion.Simply put the condition of PCs cannot determine how long Consoles will last.

The PS3 was 256MB of system memory, 256MB of VRAM , a nerfed 7800GTX and lasted 8 years,even after taking into consideration Moore's law , the upgrade over the last generation of consoles is too big.PS4 and X1 won't break a sweat lasting 10 years.

The 360 costed $715 in 2005 to make

The Xbone costs $471 to make including the KINECT....

Please dont even try to pretend that this gen is as strong hardware wise as the previous....

Keep those goalposts moving...

Avatar image for rictshard
Rictshard

265

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#45 Rictshard
Member since 2014 • 265 Posts

Probably 6-7 more years. Although even after the next gen launches people will probably be playing the Xbox One and PS4 for another few years like they are the 360 and PS3.

Avatar image for scartm
ScarTM

174

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By ScarTM
Member since 2014 • 174 Posts
@True_Gamer_ said:

@scartm said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@scartm said:

@True_Gamer_: Did my entire post just go over your head ?

4K pc gaming a norm next year ?.Not really.Not when 33% of the largest PC gaming community cannot even run games at 1080p.

Last-Gen could not do amazing things on mid-range PCs ?.That's arguable.

lol,700$ PCs running 4K + max settings,A single 780Ti cannot manage 4K @max settings,Neither can the upcoming maxwell cards 970 and 980.

700$ PCs couldn't touch the 360 because the PC graphic card market wasn't developed , as I said,you cannot use the state of PCs to determine how long will consoles last.2 Different markets.2 different situations.

EDIT: Corrections

Console centric ports like FIFA can run in 4k on a $700 PC easily....I was talking about those.

And no the 360 just costed ALOT to make and make HUGE losses in revenew to MS.... Loads of cash went into making it.

Can you say the same about the xbone? Heck the PS3 costed $840 to make (BR and all but still) .....Can you imagine a $840 costing PS4? Maxwell powered monster? GTX 980 in PS4? Imagine the possibilities? (The TDP is low the temperatures on stock too)

Goal post shifting already ?.

We went from 700$ PCs running 4K games at @max settings to just running in 4K.

Even so,It depends on your perception of easy.

FIFA is 1080p/60FPS on PS4/X1 now if you are implying that a 700$ PC can run it at 4K,same texture settings (high I think) and 60FPS then I'd like to see some proof.

Also,if you know why PS3 costed 840$ then why do you bring it up.As it was rightly pointed out PS3 would've been 399$ if not for the Blu-Ray player.

And I don't understand the relevance of this discussion.Simply put the condition of PCs cannot determine how long Consoles will last.

The PS3 was 256MB of system memory, 256MB of VRAM , a nerfed 7800GTX and lasted 8 years,even after taking into consideration Moore's law , the upgrade over the last generation of consoles is too big.PS4 and X1 won't break a sweat lasting 10 years.

The 360 costed $715 in 2005 to make

The Xbone costs $471 to make including the KINECT....

Please dont even try to pretend that this gen is as strong hardware wise as the previous....

Keep those goalposts moving...

The 360 did not cost 715$ ever to make.Next time use a better source.

The hardware costs for the 360 were 204$ and the overall production cost was 323$

Link : http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20061120132150.html

And I am not even trying to pretend that this generation is as strong as its last gen,Its actually stronger.

Its funny how you accuse me of goalpost shifting when you are the one who went from , 4k @max settings to just plain 4K and didn't even mention the framerate.


EDIT: I just can't seem to get the link function to work properly

Avatar image for AzatiS
AzatiS

14969

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#47  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

2020 max

This generation of consoles are already heavily outdated and since they are profitable since day 1 ( more or less ) i dont see why this generation will go more than 6

Avatar image for True_Gamer_
True_Gamer_

6750

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#48 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@scartm said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@scartm said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@scartm said:

@True_Gamer_: Did my entire post just go over your head ?

4K pc gaming a norm next year ?.Not really.Not when 33% of the largest PC gaming community cannot even run games at 1080p.

Last-Gen could not do amazing things on mid-range PCs ?.That's arguable.

lol,700$ PCs running 4K + max settings,A single 780Ti cannot manage 4K @max settings,Neither can the upcoming maxwell cards 970 and 980.

700$ PCs couldn't touch the 360 because the PC graphic card market wasn't developed , as I said,you cannot use the state of PCs to determine how long will consoles last.2 Different markets.2 different situations.

EDIT: Corrections

Console centric ports like FIFA can run in 4k on a $700 PC easily....I was talking about those.

And no the 360 just costed ALOT to make and make HUGE losses in revenew to MS.... Loads of cash went into making it.

Can you say the same about the xbone? Heck the PS3 costed $840 to make (BR and all but still) .....Can you imagine a $840 costing PS4? Maxwell powered monster? GTX 980 in PS4? Imagine the possibilities? (The TDP is low the temperatures on stock too)

Goal post shifting already ?.

We went from 700$ PCs running 4K games at @max settings to just running in 4K.

Even so,It depends on your perception of easy.

FIFA is 1080p/60FPS on PS4/X1 now if you are implying that a 700$ PC can run it at 4K,same texture settings (high I think) and 60FPS then I'd like to see some proof.

Also,if you know why PS3 costed 840$ then why do you bring it up.As it was rightly pointed out PS3 would've been 399$ if not for the Blu-Ray player.

And I don't understand the relevance of this discussion.Simply put the condition of PCs cannot determine how long Consoles will last.

The PS3 was 256MB of system memory, 256MB of VRAM , a nerfed 7800GTX and lasted 8 years,even after taking into consideration Moore's law , the upgrade over the last generation of consoles is too big.PS4 and X1 won't break a sweat lasting 10 years.

The 360 costed $715 in 2005 to make

The Xbone costs $471 to make including the KINECT....

Please dont even try to pretend that this gen is as strong hardware wise as the previous....

Keep those goalposts moving...

The 360 did not cost 715$ ever to make.Next time use a better source.

The hardware costs for the 360 were 204$ and the overall production cost was 323$

Link : http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20061120132150.html

And I am not even trying to pretend that this generation is as strong as its last gen,Its actually stronger.

Its funny how you accuse me of goalpost shifting when you are the one who went from , 4k @max settings to just plain 4K and didn't even mention the framerate.

EDIT: I just can't seem to get the link function to work properly

Goalposts keep on the move!!! 1 year later from launch 20/11/2006? Nice source....

Stronger gen? Yeah right.... Oblivion ran on a $500 PC same as the 360? Using HDR and AA at the same time?

Try harder

Avatar image for HalcyonScarlet
HalcyonScarlet

13669

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#49 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

I hope it lasts 8 years and the next consoles are streaming devices. I don't think they can deliver the hardware on $400 anymore.

Avatar image for tcf457073
tcf457073

476

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#50  Edited By tcf457073
Member since 2010 • 476 Posts

last gen only has 3 more years of life left