How long can ATi and Nvidia stand by....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

while their top new parts rot on the shelves?

Shogun 2 Demo can be maxxed on a 570.... Crysis 2 will be the same story Nvidia/Ati will be lucky if it has same requirements as 2007 Crysis.... There is nothing on the horizon that pushes hardware...

And the next gen of consoles is at least 2 years away (most likely 3)....

I predict that we gonna hear either AMD or Nvidia stepping in PC games development...

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Why would they step into game development?
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts
Why would they step into game development?MonsieurX
So people actually have a reason to buy a 580GTX....
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#4 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Shogun 2 Demo can be maxxed on a 570.... Crysis 2 will be the same story Nvidia/Ati will be lucky if it has same requirements as 2007 Crysis.... There is nothing on the horizon that pushes hardware...

I predict that we gonna hear either AMD or Nvidia stepping in PC games development...

True_Gamer_

They already have. Haven't you heard about the slew of DX 11 titles that are already coming out and that are already in existence.

The fact that their new parts will rot on the shelves is a MYTH. That's the same thinking that caused 3DFX to go out of business when they rested on their laurels and didn't come out with newer and better graphics cards. There will be people out there who will constantly buy the latests and greatests. That's how Lamborghini and Ferrari sells their vehicles year in and year out. You don't see them going bankrupt. And neither will AMD and nVidia. AMD's graphics division has actually GROWN over the past year when compared to previous years.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
g
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Why would they step into game development?True_Gamer_

Yes they have nowdays is mostly about features 3d gaming for instance at 1080p and retaining 60fps on demanding games requires a beast of a card Same with Ati and surround display. 3 monitors offer crazy resolutions up to 5000x2560 or something like that and that setup requires no less than a 6970 Also have tried running metro 2033 highest settings at 1080p? yeah even a gtx570 will have slowdowns
sillaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sillaris
Member since 2008 • 1083 Posts

gtx570 gets 45fps on crysis warhead. thats not maxed out.... ATLEAST 60fps nothing under is maxed out

• 4xAA
  • 16xAF
  • Gamer
  • DirectX 10

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
3/10 Will probably cause a s***storm. But then again, what doesn't on SW?
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Didn't AMD sell their 26 millionth DX11 card last year. only a year after their DX 11 cards even came out.

That's like 1/2 the number of Xbox 360's that have EVER SOLD TO DATE all in just 1 year.

Their cards are NOT rotting on the shelf.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts
I need to power 5760x1080 isn't going to render itself.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

They make most of their money from their lower end cards and deals with the big computer companies to put their lower end chips into stock PCs.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

:lol: TC!

Try running Crysis Warhead 8024x1600p 16 X SSAA 16 X AF Dx10 with graphics mods on Ultra Enthusiast settings with a single GTX 570.

Hint: You'll be lucky hit 10 FPS with a single 570.

Then once you've tried at failed try doing it with

Crysis

Arma 2

Metro 2033

Shogun 2 Total War

Empire total War

Napoleon Total War

Stalker Call of Pripyat

and you'll get the same results :D

mucgoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mucgoo
Member since 2010 • 317 Posts
If they made a game chance of good game play are nul so it would purely be a benchmark and there plenty of those around.
Avatar image for gibson-les-rick
gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 gibson-les-rick
Member since 2007 • 798 Posts

Why would they step down when you have idiots throwing their money at them for new hardware which seems to come out every week IMO even though its not a huge improvement over the last?

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I find modern PC games to push cards in areas other than just high res textures. (like particle effects, tessellation, etc)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts

Why would they step down when you have idiots throwing their money at them for new hardware which seems to come out every week IMO even though its not a huge improvement over the last?

gibson-les-rick
Who the hell would do that.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts
[QUOTE="gibson-les-rick"]

Robbazking

Us massively rich PC gamers. :P
Avatar image for gibson-les-rick
gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 gibson-les-rick
Member since 2007 • 798 Posts

[QUOTE="Robbazking"][QUOTE="gibson-les-rick"]

Mystic-G

I was being sarcastic about the money throwing :P There so darn pricey is all

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
thats why they are making billions?
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Wait, what? High-end consumer GPUs have always been a niche market, with AMD/ATI and Nvidia making most of their money on mid-range cards and other ventures; you're acting as though they both have warehouses full of 6970s/580s they need to clear out.

Chyropraise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chyropraise
Member since 2005 • 179 Posts

Haha. I see what you are saying but as long as developers keep releasing unoptomized garbage (Black Ops) then people will always need the new video cards.

CoD 4, a game that looks almost the same as Black Ops.

CoD 4 FPS = Over 100 Black Ops FPS = 60 down to 30 when a Napalm Strike goes off.

They are getting lazy because games look the same as 3 years ago but somehow I am getting lower FPS.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#21 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Why would they step into game development?True_Gamer_

so directx11 and 3d are not a reason to buy one? also, its great for people who are on serious animation and graphical design
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lightleggy
g[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Why would they step into game development?adamosmaki

Yes they have nowdays is mostly about features 3d gaming for instance at 1080p and retaining 60fps on demanding games requires a beast of a card Same with Ati and surround display. 3 monitors offer crazy resolutions up to 5000x2560 or something like that and that setup requires no less than a 6970 Also have tried running metro 2033 highest settings at 1080p? yeah even a gtx570 will have slowdowns

1080p :lol: you are not a PC gamer if you set 1080p as a boundary
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts

True_Gamer_
You can't max shogun 2 with a 570. You can't even max shogun 2 period in the demo. Full settings are locked.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lightleggy

Haha. I see what you are saying but as long as developers keep releasing unoptomized garbage (Black Ops) then people will always need the new video cards.

CoD 4 FPS = Over 100 Black Ops FPS = 60 down to 30 when a Napalm Strike goes off.

They are getting lazy because games look the same as 3 years ago but somehow I am getting lower FPS.

Chyropraise
you are seriously using an activision game as an example? activision is known for its terrible graphics besides all the other crap they do
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

Chyropraise
that's done on purpose, it's been going on for years. It's to get you to UPGRADE! Ideally you buy a graphics card, use it for a couple of years then Upgrade to a newer one. That's what ATI & Nvidia want. They don't want developers to optimise games to run well on 3-4 year old graphics cards! They want graphics cards to age and age pretty quicky.! So you buy a new one, preferably high end.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[QUOTE="Robbazking"][QUOTE="gibson-les-rick"]

Mystic-G

So i'm not the only poster here that's rich? Sweet :)
Gauloisez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gauloisez
Member since 2011 • 68 Posts
[QUOTE="Chyropraise"]

CwlHeddwyn
that's done on purpose, it's been going on for years. It's to get you to UPGRADE! Ideally you buy a graphics card, use it for a couple of years then Upgrade to a newer one. That's what ATI & Nvidia want. They don't want developers to optimise games to run well on 3-4 year old graphics cards! They want graphics cards to age and age pretty quicky.! So you buy a new one, preferably high end.

Yes, that's true. But in case of black ops it totally treyarch's screw up. Do you really think when someone's new bought GTX500 cards show slowdowns on a graphically mediocre game like blackops Nvidia gains a good reputation? PC gamers are smart, they know what framerates they can expect from a graphic quality level. And in case of Black Ops it's totally unacceptable that it runs **** than let's say BFBC2 wich is superior on PC in every single way.
djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
There top end parts arent roting on shelves. People who want DX11 and freedom to run games at ridiculous settings like me buy them.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

People are still buying them, so I don't see a problem.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"][QUOTE="Chyropraise"]

Gauloisez

Yes, that's true. But in case of black ops it totally treyarch's screw up. Do you really think when someone's new bought GTX500 cards show slowdowns on a graphically mediocre game like blackops Nvidia gains a good reputation? PC gamers are smart, they know what framerates they can expect from a graphic quality level. And in case of Black Ops it's totally unacceptable that it runs **** than let's say BFBC2 wich is superior on PC in every single way.

Microsoft used to up the system requirements of its software at the behest of manufacturers a lot back in the 90s. Ok it was never official but it was common knowledge that it went on. They'd bring out a new Word and up the processor requirements even when they didn't need to. heck Windows XP required 128MB RAM to install. now you're talking pre SP1 of course but it was possible to install it and then run it on 64MB. granted it will run badly but if you had 96MB RAM your system wouldn't have been that bad. (particularly in the early days) I forget the minimum CPU required but again XP will run on below recommended processors. these days Microsoft aren't so bad. they kept the same system requirements for Office 2007 and Office 2010 (except HDD space) but all in all it's in the manufacturers interest for software/games developers NOT to optimise. If you can get decent framerates and visuals from a card made in 2007 when running a brand new game. (a game you might play for the next year or more) then ATI/Nvidia are losing sales. PC games do have longevity, far more so then most console games. Where Nvidia and ATI make most of their money is not developing high end video cards but is doing deals to get gimped, low end versions put into standard desktops. the classic con is the RAM trick. they'll take a budget card that's been on the market for a bit, double the RAM and wait for the sales to rocket. the casual observer will see a reasonably priced 512MB card (or whatever) and snap it up. when what they really have is a budget 256MB card with extra RAM that wont do it much good. And wont compete with a more advanced 512MB card.
AtariOno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 AtariOno
Member since 2011 • 58 Posts

I am a much smarter person for having read through this thread. I didn't even have to stay at a Holiday Inn Express.