How is the ps3/360/wii better than the ps2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

the ps3/360 combined sold less than the ps2

the wii is barely even halfway selling as much as the ps2

how were this generation a success compared to sony's ps2?

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

It seems the only system this gen to top the PS2 was the DS. Which isn't odd both the DS and PS2 offered a better library of games compared to everything else (gotta give props to the PSP and of course PC gaming)

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

ProtossX

To tell you the truth, PS2's run is kinda fairytale in Videogame industry.That library can't be completed in say your average console lifetime.They are even selling brand new PS2's while I type this reply.Psst,present or future it'll highly improbable, if not impossible to emulate PS2's success.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

They weren't sold at a loss for 3 years as a cheap DVD player that could play games.

Not serious.... but someone had to say it. :P

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's only late last year when the PS2 finally disappeared from store shelves. Earlier last year, the PS2 was still being sold for $99.....in this time and age when the PS3 itself is approaching old age. That told a lot about the PS2's popularity. That's why I still hold on to mine.

It's a hardware legend as worthy as my GF4-Ti 4200 on the PC (they're the same gen too).

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

ProtossX

First of all PS2 was nothing comparing to PS1

Also 360 has bothamazing JRPGs and WRPGs, so overall is far better than any system i have played with, by miles

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

ProtossX

In terms of sales, you probably wont see a console having PS2 success in many years.

In terms of games, the fact this gen has less JRPGs and more everything else, is an automatic win to me.

Silentj0ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Silentj0ker
Member since 2011 • 94 Posts

How is it better? easy, ps3/wii/360 all have stronger graphical engines that allow mroe polygons on the screen, they both have strong online play, along with various applications that allow you to browse youtube, facebook etc... all three systems now have motion control aswell. And thats how these systems are better hardware wise, as for games, each generation has its fair share of brilliant games, as does our current one

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

honestly nothing could touch the ps2

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

They aren't.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="ProtossX"]

loosingENDS

Also 360 has bothamazing JRPGs and WRPGs, so overall is far better than any system i have played with, by miles

Amazing JRPGs on console!? Where I have been this gen because I'm sure as heck not finding any.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

It's the greatest console of all times, ofcourse these consoles combined cannot even touch it.

It seems the only system this gen to top the PS2 was the DS.

jasonharris48

On what basis are you saying that, as far as i knew the PS2 was still a little ahead of the DS in term of sales.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="ProtossX"]

loosingENDS

Sorry bud no 360 JRPG has held me like FFX,Grandia 2, or Star Ocean 3.

If anything they feel like they have taken a severe step back especially So4.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#14 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

[QUOTE="ProtossX"]

loosingENDS

360 has better rpg's than ps2......Not sure if you're serious.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lucianu

loosingENDS

In terms of JRPGs you are 100% correct. I mean, the PS1 has Xenogears, for f*cks sake. That alone, destroys everything.

Avatar image for heeeeeeeeeweeee
heeeeeeeeeweeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 heeeeeeeeeweeee
Member since 2011 • 2083 Posts

ProtossX

ps2 sold so much because of the dvd-rom the jump from vhs to dvd is much larger than dvd to blu ray.

plus gt3 lol

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jasonharris48

It's the greatest console of all times, ofcourse these consoles combined cannot even touch it.

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

It seems the only system this gen to top the PS2 was the DS.

Lucianu

On what basis are you saying that, as far as i knew the PS2 was still a little ahead of the DS in term of sales.

DS toped it well at least in North America and Europe. (but it isn't too far behind in World wide sells)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles#Video_game_consoles_.28with_handheld.29

http://techland.time.com/2011/01/04/nintendo-ds-is-the-us-best-selling-console-of-all-time/

http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-selling-console-time

http://n4g.com/news/452774/nintendo-ds-becomes-europes-best-selling-console-wii-takes-fastest-selling-record

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/04/nintendo-ds-is-now-best-selling-console-ever-in-us/

While I still think the PS2 is the best console, but it's pretty impressive how well the DS did.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I don't compare sells because I can't play them, but I can play games and do compare them. But to be far, I can't even compare that this time. I owned a PS2, but 4 months after getting my PS2 I bought my first PC and from that point forward, I was a PC only gamer and my PS2 collected dust. Funny thing is, for the first 3 years of having a PC, I play one game and nothing else. So that one game (Soldier of Fortune 2) killed off the PS2 for me. Anyways, I can't compare to PS2 games because I pretty much skipped last gen. I did pick up the GoW collection for my PS3, so I didn't miss out on that series from last gen.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lucianu

DS toped it well at least in North America and Europe. (but it isn't too far behind in World wide sells)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles#Video_game_consoles_.28with_handheld.29

http://techland.time.com/2011/01/04/nintendo-ds-is-the-us-best-selling-console-of-all-time/

http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-selling-console-time

http://n4g.com/news/452774/nintendo-ds-becomes-europes-best-selling-console-wii-takes-fastest-selling-record

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/04/nintendo-ds-is-now-best-selling-console-ever-in-us/

While I still think the PS2 is the best console, but it's pretty impressive how well the DS did.

jasonharris48

That is good to know, man. It is impressive, and just further proves the irrefutable (in my eyes) fact that the soul of a system are its games, not the hardware, considering how weak both the PS2 and DS were in comparison with the competitors.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Lucianu

In terms of JRPGs you are 100% correct. I mean, the PS1 has Xenogears, for f*cks sake. That alone, destroys everything.

Prettied up PSX games. I never understood the praise of the ps2. As for the question at hand--at least in the 360/ps3 case--just about ALL genres were improved from a gameplay perspective. This gens fps games are better than anything on the ps2. This gens fighting games are better than anything on the ps2. This gens shooters are better than anything on the ps2. This gens adventure games are better than anything on the ps2. This generation of consoles recieves a lot of hate, yet a lot of the most popular genres have been greatly refined.

This gen also introduced the indie game scene. Games like Joe Danger would have been retail priced games last gen.

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts
The Ps2 is literally a piece of **** as hardware. The Dreamcast came out years earlier and matched it. Sony's PS2 looked abysmal compared to the Xbox. PS2 did not have achievements either and way too many JRPGs with spikey haired emo kids.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29834 Posts

The PS2 was an absolute monster in sales and library. They're not better, just another gen.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jasonharris48

The Ps2 is literally a piece of **** as hardware. The Dreamcast came out years earlier and matched it. Sony's PS2 looked abysmal compared to the Xbox. PS2 did not have achievements either and way too many JRPGs with spikey haired emo kids.Banjo_Kongfooie
Sells proved it wasn't the specs of the console that people cared about. It was the library of games. Both the Gamecube and Xbox beat the PS2 in terms of specs, but it had the better library. As for the achivements who cares? Did you just start gaming this gen? I end of this note PS2>>>Dreamcast> Gamecube>>>>>>>>Xobx 1

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Banjo_Kongfooie"]The Ps2 is literally a piece of **** as hardware. The Dreamcast came out years earlier and matched it. Sony's PS2 looked abysmal compared to the Xbox. PS2 did not have achievements either and way too many JRPGs with spikey haired emo kids.jasonharris48

Sells proved it wasn't the specs of the console that people cared about. It was the library of games. Both the Gamecube and Xbox beat the PS2 in terms of specs, but it had the better library. As for the achivements who cares? Did you just start gaming this gen? I end of this note PS2>>>Dreamcast> Gamecube>>>>>>>>Xobx 1

It was also the hype from the psx crowd. People were waiting for the console, nullifying the others immediately--fanboyism, in the real world, at its finest.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

is there a point to this thread? If so I'm not really seeing it.

Fact is every gen I have even been in was better than this PS3/360/wii generation. There is no point in hyping just sony.I could hype past nintendo andsega consolesunder that same argument, hell even the original xbox imo

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

The Ps2 is literally a piece of **** as hardware. The Dreamcast came out years earlier and matched it. Sony's PS2 looked abysmal compared to the Xbox. PS2 did not have achievements either and way too many JRPGs with spikey haired emo kids.Banjo_Kongfooie

This post is filled with so much stupid we should lock it away in a cupboard and throw away the key.

P.S-Achievemens only started this gen and frankly pretty dumb

another P.S-Ironic point considering the console you defend like it were your spouse has the most JRPGS.