BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

I recently finished Super Mario Odyssey and have been doing some of the end game stuff. I got to say that this game is a disappointment and way over-rated. The game is short, simple, the environments/levels are not very big or interesting and there seems to be a lot of fluff throughout without much inspired level design. Also, the boss battles are kind of lame and recycled over and over.

Don't get me wrong, the game is good and has a lot of charm, but it is not that great of a game as a whole. I have been playing a lot of 3D platformers lately like Yooka-Laylee, POI, Ratchet and Clank, etc.. and have played pretty much all the good ones of the past. SMO does not really set itself apart and I was never wowed by the game. I give it a 7.5/10.

I am going to play A Hat In Time next and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a better game.

What do you guys honestly think of the game? What makes it special to justify such high scores? What don't you like?

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

did you try reading the review? that would probably cover it

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Cool story bro.

Also, Nintendo pays reviewers. That's what the cows are telling me anyway.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

106 critics average score of 96 on metacritic... Rounded up to 10. (From 9.6) Seems about right.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

If you think the game is too short then you didn't play the whole game.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Cool story bro.

Also, Nintendo pays reviewers. That's what the cows are telling me anyway.

Cows aren't the ones complaining about Nintendo reviews.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

Too short? Me and my daughter are still playing Odyssey ever since we pick up our games on launch day.

Why did Gamespot give it a 10/10? You gotta read the review and find out why it did. Us gamers can't tell you why, we didn't review it, so it's the opinion who review it in the first place.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BassMan

I obviously haven't collected every power moon, but most of the end game moons are just fluff with not much actual design behind them. The game is short and the levels are not that big or interesting.

It just seems like the inner fanboy and nostalgia takes over reviewers and they don't give compelling arguments of what makes this game so spectacular to deserve a 10.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jaydan

When I initially played and beat the [main story] game, I was a bit confused too. "Is this a 10/10 game for real?" I questioned.

It's been about a month or two now since the game's released, and with time I understood perfectly well why it is a 10/10 game and why I think it's one of the few games that actually deserve it.

Super Mario Odyssey, simply put, has absolutely incredible return value. Every single time I boot up the game, I find not only a few new things but an assortment of them, no matter how long or short my play times are I discover entirely new things.

Every time I play the game, I discover new layers to it I previously had not realized. I find many capture and platforming abilities in new and creative ways.

At first when you play post-game, stumbling upon Moons feels just like that -stumbling upon them- but as you collect them more and you actually have to start using your map, that's when the real fun in the scavenger hunt begins.

I marveled over the replay value in games like Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. Playing and enjoying the same courses for the same rewards was sentimental over the value of those games. This time, after collecting the golden 120, I don't have to restart the game to collect them again, because the game keeps going for a long time with so much to discover.

That's why Super Mario Odyssey deserves a 10/10 . It's everything that the original 3D Mario games were and so much more.

I would tell anybody, the main story in the game is really just the prologue to the actual game. The main quest is just an introduction to the mechanics and the environments to a far larger sandbox.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Someone's opinion vs yours, get over it

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

ehhh its really not a 10 imho, but its a good game regardless. I agree with op

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jaydan

@BassMan said:

I obviously haven't collected every power moon, but most of the end game moons are just fluff with not much actual design behind them. The game is short and the levels are not that big.

It just seems like the inner fanboy and nostalgia takes over reviewers and they don't give compelling arguments of what makes this game spectacular to deserve a 10.

There is no inner-fanboy to Super Mario Odyssey getting 10/10 ratings. You really just don't have context to why it's getting near-universal acclaim as you admit you haven't even played the whole game.

Every platformer you mentioned do literally nothing new for 3D-platformers other than catering to a nostalgic N64 era. If any games cater to nostalgia then it's the ones you listed. Ratchet & Clank is unique from the N64 era but an aged franchise that pushes more continuations than evolutions. Super Mario Odyssey, I honestly can't say there is a single platformer in existence that's as structurally sound and large as this one. Odyssey is really a new evolution for the genre more than anything.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BassMan

@jaydan: Like I said, most of the end game is just fluff and more of same. Slightly more enjoyable than collecting feathers in Ass Creed. There is not much incentive to keep me playing. I don't care about unlocking costumes and collectibles. I want more content. More hand crafted level design and new areas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

It's because every single reviewer is a man-child, driven by nostalgia and paid by Nintendo. That's the only explanation.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58842 Posts

From what little I played it reminded me of Mario 64, which is a good thing.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Did we need another thread on this topic?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

Took a minute to wrap my head around the way the game works. It's very very different from past entries. I wouldn't call it a post game either. The game is not over after the initial ending. In fact I'd say what opens up is drastically better, even.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

Fun game. Love it. But clearly not a 10

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@BassMan said:

@jaydan: Like I said, most of the end game is just fluff and more of same. Slightly more enjoyable than collecting feathers in Ass Creed. There is not much incentive to keep me playing. I don't care about unlocking costumes and collectibles. I want more content. More hand crafted level design and new areas.

Well if you would just keep playing...

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

If this game came out on PC your mouth would be all around that shaft.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Game is overrated by Nintendo fanboy reviewers who all talk to each other and collude to push the myth that Nintendo is capable of making great games.

It’s information control. Nintendo and its fanboys strong arm reviewers into giving high scores or Nintendo won’t give them free stuff and fans will stop going to the websites.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BassMan

@goldenelementxl: I have played a few hours worth of end game already and it is not enough to keep me hooked. I will keep playing it casually though.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BassMan

@FLOPPAGE_50: LOL, it would be better on PC for sure, but I am fine playing it on Switch.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50

@BassMan said:

@FLOPPAGE_50: LOL, it would be better on PC for sure, but I am fine playing it on Switch.

I'll ask you because you show no biased to PS4/XB1

Is a Switch worth buying today? I'm so close to pulling the trigger, but that means vices I love will need to decline.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

@stuff238 said:

Game is overrated by Nintendo fanboy reviewers who all talk to each other and collude to push the myth that Nintendo is capable of making great games.

It’s information control. Nintendo and its fanboys strong arm reviewers into giving high scores or Nintendo won’t give them free stuff and fans will stop going to the websites.

Another case of Nintendo Derangement Syndrome.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#26 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I'm willing to bet that the majority of reviewers who played the game only did the bare minimum to get enough moons to beat the game. If they played the post game, they'd realized the game starts to become a bloated chore collecting the rest of the moons. So for that, it gets a 9 from me.

waloacme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 waloacme
Member since 2004 • 564 Posts

Same could be said for any 10/10 game. So can hou tell me which game truly deserves a 10/10?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

How is Bayonetta 2 a 10?

How is SMG2 a 10?

How is GTA IV a 10?

How is Witcher 3 a 10?

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FLOPPAGE_50

@waloacme said:

Same could be said for any 10/10 game. So can hou tell me which game truly deserves a 10/10?

tony hawks pro skater 3

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@BassMan:

The demo wasn't special at all.

Mario 3/World>>>>>Any 3D Mario

waloacme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 waloacme

@FLOPPAGE_50: I played that game to death back in the day. 10/10 for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@stuff238 said:

From what I've heard from people who have played it they say it's a good/great game, but a 10? well it could go either way, but your shit is over the top man.

Oh and see the bolded part? well fanboys in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FLOPPAGE_50

@waloacme said:

@FLOPPAGE_50: I played that game to death back in the day. 10/10 for me.

lmao, this is gonna sound lame af.. but i remember when I got my gameboy advanced I got THPS2... and it was incredible, I can vividly remember at the time in 2002 it was the best looking handheld game I had ever seen, even back then I was comparing it to the PS1.

Crazy, that was so long ago.

/old

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BassMan

@FLOPPAGE_50: I only buy consoles for the exclusives. I think the Switch is a terrible primary platform because of the shit power and lack of third party games. However, it is a decent complimentary platform if you are into the portability and are interested in the exclusives. I only own BOTW, SMO and MK8. Honestly, neither BOTW or SMO are the killer apps that people make them out to be. They are good games, but not OMG I have to buy a Switch now to play them. Also, you can play a much better version of BOTW on PC with the CEMU emulator.

So yeah... I don't regret buying a Switch because I have actually used the portability aspect of it more than I thought I would, but it is not an essential purchase and you can easily wait on it if you need money for other things.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Its not really bad game its just overpolluted with moons you don't have to do anything to earn. Sometimes you just gotta jump up on a ledge or pound the ground and boom you got a moon. Honestly I had more fun with Mario Sunshine than this. I think they took the hat theme too far

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50

@BassMan said:

@FLOPPAGE_50: I only by consoles for the exclusives. I think the Switch is a terrible primary platform because of the shit power and lack of third party games. However, it is a decent complimentary platform if you are into the portability and are interested in the exclusives. I only own BOTW, SMO and MK8. Honestly, neither BOTW or SMO are the killer apps that people make them out to be. They are good games, but not OMG I have to buy a Switch now to play them. Also, you can play a much better version of BOTW on PC with the CEMU emulator.

So yeah... I don't regret buying a Switch because I have actually used the portability aspect of it more than I thought I would, but it is not an essential purchase and you can easily wait on it if you need money for other things.

The thought of a portable DOOM (my fav game of 2016) and Skyrim makes it sound worth it...

but then I saw a video of the horrible performance issues.. guess that's why I'm on the fence.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BassMan

@FLOPPAGE_50: I definitely would not play Doom or Skyrim on the Switch. The experience is too compromised. Best to play those on PC.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

It is not

Nintendo games are always overrated by 3 points

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

It is not

True, even @TheEroica agrees, nothing compares to SONY...hell even Eroica himself, a once MS sympathiser dropper Xbox in favor of PS4. that says a lot guys. Mod approved, GS verified.

SONY wins again.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#41 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Its only a 10 according to the person that reviewed it. Do you let their opinions have sway in all areas of your life?

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@jaydan said:

Super Mario Odyssey, simply put, has absolutely incredible return value. Every single time I boot up the game, I find not only a few new things but an assortment of them, no matter how long or short my play times are I discover entirely new things.

Every time I play the game, I discover new layers to it I previously had not realized.

Did you have to try really hard to come up with this hipster bullshit?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

"It's because every single reviewer is a man-child, driven by nostalgia"

/thread

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Of course it's overrated, just like zelda BOTW.

Wait a few months and most people will come to their senses. Ninty are masters at indoctrinating their crazy fanbase though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@knight-k said:

Wait a few months and most people will come to their senses. Ninty are masters at indoctrinating their crazy fanbase though.

You just described Sony and it's fanbase exactly.

waloacme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 waloacme

Shallow games for shallow gamers. Personality, style and soul are concepts that most cows, hermits and lems wont understand because of the "toxins in our vaccines".

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

It is not

Find that hilarious coming from someone with an MGS avatar.

MGS4 a 10 ... 6 HOUR GAME.

Kjtc1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49 Kjtc1979
Member since 2017 • 365 Posts

Best part of this thread is that the satirical and the genuine comments are virtually identical.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@knight-k said:

You just described Sony and it's fanbase exactly.

Go play some games on you Xbo...

Oh wait...

You have no games.