How is Halo Mediocre?

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JoeDoe1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JoeDoe1233
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

You hear many fanboys, in particular Hermits, toss around the idea that Halo is a mediocre game. Besides the fact that their arguement changes from Halo 1 is awful to Halo 1 was great, then to Halo 2 stunk then to Halo 1 and 2 were great but Halo 3 failed, I want to know why people say this.

the way I look at it, there are typically 3 main arguements used

- it does nothing new

- it's nothing by pc standards

- it's only popular, not good

So you guys really think Halo does nothing new? Give me a game that looks like this: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=udVuT7n2qEE

Seriously, I dare you, do it. I can match COD4 with a game easily, Crysis, or Killzone, or whatever, but I fail to see a game like Halo. An then there's forge which is more so like a funbox which can be used as a map editor and then neat stuff like boarding and that stuff

Next up- nothing by pc standards.---> Is this a serious statement? Pc standards aren't exactly higher for shooters nowadays. Proof? Well just look at COD4 or Bioshock- same game, same score, meaning same scale.

And the last one, ahh... no comment, you guys can figure that one out.

* here's my point: Why do you guys essentially pretend it's not good? It is. Why not just buy a 360 for it, they're not that expensive now. I've been playing Halo 3 strongly for over a year now, and I'm not letting up. Halo 3 is the only game worth a 10 this generation.

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts
I whole heartedly agree. Elistist herms gonna come storming in. Prepare the bubble shield.
Paintballman97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 Paintballman97
Member since 2007 • 178 Posts
Maybe cuz my friend didn't get a PS3 cuz he said theres no Halo 3....
JoeDoe1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JoeDoe1233

I whole heartedly agree. Elistist herms gonna come storming in. Prepare the bubble shield.SSCyborg

Don't worry, I got a BR, a mauler, 2 frags. I have an energy drainer down. I don't think they're going to be able to attack Halo 3 with paper bullets, mines well just shoot them down like animals.

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SSCyborg

[QUOTE="SSCyborg"]I whole heartedly agree. Elistist herms gonna come storming in. Prepare the bubble shield.JoeDoe1233

Don't worry, I got a BR, a mauler, 2 frags. I have an energy drainer down. I don't think they're going to be able to attack Halo 3 with paper bullets, mines well just shoot them down like animals.

Maulers suck, grab a human sniper. Shouldn't let them get that close.

JoeDoe1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoeDoe1233
[QUOTE="JoeDoe1233"]

[QUOTE="SSCyborg"]I whole heartedly agree. Elistist herms gonna come storming in. Prepare the bubble shield.SSCyborg

Maulers suck, grab a human sniper. Shouldn't let them get that close.

But I want to teabag them. I don't want to walk all around for that.

Anyway, I'm suprised our hermit friends are here yet.

neogeo419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 neogeo419
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts
I whole heartedly agree. Elistist herms gonna come storming in. Prepare the bubble shield.SSCyborg
Hey now I'm mostly hermit. I enjoy putting on the headset, calling up some buddies at their respective dwellings, and playing a few matches if the wife goes to bed early. Good times.
JoeDoe1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JoeDoe1233

[QUOTE="SSCyborg"]I whole heartedly agree. Elistist herms gonna come storming in. Prepare the bubble shield.neogeo419
Hey now I'm mostly hermit. I enjoy putting on the headset, calling up some buddies at their respective dwellings, and playing a few matches if the wife goes to bed early. Good times.

No, not hermits.
I'm talking about the neo-hermits (not punning your name btw). You know, the ones that claim console games suck and everything is superior on pc and overall, consoles are worthless. They also typically claim mods are better than actual games.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
The same reason Crysis is apparently the greatest, most innovative FPS in the history of gaming; it's all in the mindset.
Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts
I don't think most of the complaints have anything to do with multiplayer (which is what you chose to rant about), but rather the single player campaign, across the ENTIRE series, has been mediocre. Nothing about the single player campaign (in any of the halo installments) has been amazing (outside of the soundtrack). The AI is bad. The environments are bland (in terms of layout and being repetitive. The NPCs are worthless - in a warthog for example, you are left either driving while the NPC blindly shoots or you are left shooting while the NPC blindly drives. The dialogue/audio of the NPCs is incongruous with the rest of the game. The story is nothing spectacular. The weapons, while the variety is decent, have terrible effects. The enemy variety is lacking. And oh yeah, the "ending" of the series was garbage.
Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts
The same reason The Dark Knight is at Number 3# on IMDB. Not because it's the third best movie ever made, but because of fans and hype. Which ultimately triumphs quality. Proven plenty of times.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
The only things I can see as to why people like it are:
- Multiplayer is fun
- Story
Otherwise I think its the average FPS. I don't understand why its hyped as much as it is. Yeah, its fun -- but I dont know why its hyped as much as it is.
Project187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Project187
Member since 2005 • 89 Posts
I wouldn't say its mediocre. Its just not for everyone. The Graphics on Halo 3 were mediocre though.
Grady420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grady420
Member since 2008 • 430 Posts

People will always bash popular games, correction, people will always bash exclusive popular games. Whether it be exclusive or console exclusive and yes I know the word console exclusive does not exist on this site. But I do not need system wars telling me the rules, the word exist bc it is real.

JoeDoe1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JoeDoe1233

I don't think most of the complaints have anything to do with multiplayer (which is what you chose to rant about), but rather the single player campaign, across the ENTIRE series, has been mediocre. Nothing about the single player campaign (in any of the halo installments) has been amazing (outside of the soundtrack). The AI is bad. The environments are bland (in terms of layout and being repetitive. The NPCs are worthless - in a warthog for example, you are left either driving while the NPC blindly shoots or you are left shooting while the NPC blindly drives. The dialogue/audio of the NPCs is incongruous with the rest of the game. The story is nothing spectacular. The weapons, while the variety is decent, have terrible effects. The enemy variety is lacking. And oh yeah, the "ending" of the series was garbage.Cloud_Insurance

what you said basically proves you haven't played it.

Halo's AI is some of the best. Definately. Enemey AI that is, definately not friendly warthog drivers though (as you said).

That being said, they're damn good gunners and the dialogue is great and fitting, I dont get what you're saying.

And enemy variety, umm... there's 3 overall fractions with sub fractions within the covenenant.

And terrible effects on the weapons? What?

And the ending? Uhh... SPOILER- here it is, http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=VybS1C-4CAk You wouldn't know what this correlates if you haven't played other Halo games, specifically the first.

(pss... in case you haven't noticed, the mc is metaphorically jesus, meaning the savior- although Im not imposing the holy part, but rather the saving part. Notice that he was always alive but then essentially restablished through the unfreezing, in the end was though to be dead, but then was alive only to go back away saying he'll come back when the time's right?)

You seriously just spouted generic arguements against the game. You're proving my point

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SSCyborg

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]I don't think most of the complaints have anything to do with multiplayer (which is what you chose to rant about), but rather the single player campaign, across the ENTIRE series, has been mediocre. Nothing about the single player campaign (in any of the halo installments) has been amazing (outside of the soundtrack). The AI is bad. The environments are bland (in terms of layout and being repetitive. The NPCs are worthless - in a warthog for example, you are left either driving while the NPC blindly shoots or you are left shooting while the NPC blindly drives. The dialogue/audio of the NPCs is incongruous with the rest of the game. The story is nothing spectacular. The weapons, while the variety is decent, have terrible effects. The enemy variety is lacking. And oh yeah, the "ending" of the series was garbage.JoeDoe1233

Halo's AI is some of the best. Definately. Enemey AI that is, definately not friendly warthog drivers though (as you said).

That being said, they're damn good gunners and the dialogue is great and fitting, I dont get what you're saying.

And enemy variety, umm... there's 3 overall fractions with sub fractions within the covenenant.

And the ending? Uhh... SPOILER- here it is, http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=VybS1C-4CAk You wouldn't know what this correlates if you haven't played other Halo games, specifically the first.

You seriously just spouted generic arguements against the game. You're proving my point

And the backstory is amazing.

JoeDoe1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JoeDoe1233

The only things I can see as to why people like it are:
- Multiplayer is fun
- Story
Otherwise I think its the average FPS. I don't understand why its hyped as much as it is. Yeah, its fun -- but I dont know why its hyped as much as it is.
Haziqonfire

And his blog

"

Wii wishlist:

Little King's Story MadWorld Fragile Muramasa: The Demon Blade Wii Sports Resort Tatsunoko vs Capcom Punch Out!! Sin and Punishment 2 Disaster: Day of Crisis Kizuna The Conduit (I Will support this game, even though I think the art is horrible) No More Heroes 2 Guitar Hero World Tour World Of Goo Wii Speak

Xbox 360:

Banjo Kazooie GEoW2

PS3:

God of War III LBP

Multiplat (PS3/360):

Prince of Persia

Prince of Persia really is the only reason I want a PS3/360 -- I dont care which one I get. That's the only game I really want -- the others are a bit of a stretch.

Ugh -- I have no money to afford these -- It's going to be too hard choosing what to get and what not to get. . "

Wow, he doesn't have a X360! Go figure! He doesn't own Halo 3!? What a shocker!
See what I mean people?

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]I don't think most of the complaints have anything to do with multiplayer (which is what you chose to rant about), but rather the single player campaign, across the ENTIRE series, has been mediocre. Nothing about the single player campaign (in any of the halo installments) has been amazing (outside of the soundtrack). The AI is bad. The environments are bland (in terms of layout and being repetitive. The NPCs are worthless - in a warthog for example, you are left either driving while the NPC blindly shoots or you are left shooting while the NPC blindly drives. The dialogue/audio of the NPCs is incongruous with the rest of the game. The story is nothing spectacular. The weapons, while the variety is decent, have terrible effects. The enemy variety is lacking. And oh yeah, the "ending" of the series was garbage.JoeDoe1233

Halo's A.I. is the best? Hell, even Half-life 2's a.i. is better than halo's, and that's saying something(not counting episode 2, where they vastly improved it).

I recommend you play Bioshock, Half life 2, COD4, or even Prey if you want good and fitting dialogue for an FPS. I shouldn't have to go on the internet to understand what on earth the people in halo are talking about.

The ending was bad. No, disappointing is the better word. Only bioshock rival's it in that area.

The rest that you said I agree with, but let me add a little bit more.

Single-player: I want you to give me one good reason why Halo's sp mode isn't flat out bland compared to most other shooters out there.

Multiplayer: No comment here, pretty good for a console game.

Il_Exile_lI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Il_Exile_lI
Member since 2008 • 516 Posts

I don't think most of the complaints have anything to do with multiplayer (which is what you chose to rant about), but rather the single player campaign, across the ENTIRE series, has been mediocre. Nothing about the single player campaign (in any of the halo installments) has been amazing (outside of the soundtrack). The AI is bad. The environments are bland (in terms of layout and being repetitive. The NPCs are worthless - in a warthog for example, you are left either driving while the NPC blindly shoots or you are left shooting while the NPC blindly drives. The dialogue/audio of the NPCs is incongruous with the rest of the game. The story is nothing spectacular. The weapons, while the variety is decent, have terrible effects. The enemy variety is lacking. And oh yeah, the "ending" of the series was garbage.Cloud_Insurance

-Bad AI?, maybe for teammates, but the enemy AI is great

-The story isn't told all that well in each game individually, but the overarching storyline of the three games is great

- The weapons all do different things and have different effects, i dont really understand what you mean by that

- grunt, jackal, elite, brute, hunter, flood, infected human, infected elite, infected hunter,Scarab, and enemies piloting ghosts, banshees, choppers, and wraith. I wish this game had as enemy variety most shooters where all you kill are enemy soldiers

I agree with some of your complaints, but other are just ridiculous

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Wow, he doesn't have a X360! Go figure! He doesn't own Halo 3!? What a shocker!
See what I mean people?

JoeDoe1233

Mhm. Yet, I myself own Halo 1 -- My friends have Halo 2 and 3 and I've played it frequently.

Your point?

TPOJ-TPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TPOJ-TPO
Member since 2008 • 198 Posts

Halo is one of those games that can bring Casual and Hardcore fans together and be dead even about skill. On consoles it is amazing. But if it were PC exclusive with content it has now, it wouldn't have done as well, considering PC has higher standards. Halo 3 is currently in the #1 or #2 spot for most played Xbox Live game, because it's fighting with COD4. Halo 2 is currently the most played orginal Xbox game on Xbox Live. People like the games. But it's just a small percentage of people who don't like it as much, calling it overrated.

Superbored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Superbored
Member since 2008 • 1187 Posts

Halo was amazing.

Halo 2 was alright, single player disappointing but the multiplayer was great.

Halo 3 is meh, bad single player and the mulitplayer is basically the same.

JoeDoe1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JoeDoe1233
[QUOTE="JoeDoe1233"]

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]I don't think most of the complaints have anything to do with multiplayer (which is what you chose to rant about), but rather the single player campaign, across the ENTIRE series, has been mediocre. Nothing about the single player campaign (in any of the halo installments) has been amazing (outside of the soundtrack). The AI is bad. The environments are bland (in terms of layout and being repetitive. The NPCs are worthless - in a warthog for example, you are left either driving while the NPC blindly shoots or you are left shooting while the NPC blindly drives. The dialogue/audio of the NPCs is incongruous with the rest of the game. The story is nothing spectacular. The weapons, while the variety is decent, have terrible effects. The enemy variety is lacking. And oh yeah, the "ending" of the series was garbage.ice144

Halo's A.I. is the best? Hell, even Half-life 2's a.i. is better than halo's, and that's saying something(not counting episode 2, where they vastly improved it).

I recommend you play Bioshock, Half life 2, COD4, or even Prey if you want good and fitting dialogue for an FPS. I shouldn't have to go on the internet to understand what on earth the people in halo are talking about.

The ending was bad. No, disappointing is the better word. Only bioshock rival's it in that area.

Single-player: I want you to give me one good reason why Halo's sp mode isn't flat out bland compared to most other shooters out there.

Have you played Halo 3 is the question?
Here's you're one reason you asked for: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=_s2DWJJh8qY&feature=related that was easy

And yes, I've actually played all those games you recommended.

Here's the ai, it's umm... good? Funny you say HL, because you realize that they quite literally stand and shoot for the most part? lol.

Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts
It's not. It's just cool to hate it.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

Next up- nothing by pc standards.---> Is this a serious statement? Pc standards aren't exactly higher for shooters nowadays. Proof? Well just look at COD4 or Bioshock- same game, same score, meaning same scale.

JoeDoe1233

1. The PC versions of both of them are superior. :|
  2. Both of those games came out after GS's new rating system was implemented, which meant that the scores were rounded up, and the reviewer probably didn't think that the PC's FPS standards should make the games score a full 0.5 less on their respective systems, especially when the PC versions are superior.
  3. Either way, people are arguing with opinions and reviews are basically glorified opinions with a number attached. So it's pointless, particularly because reviewers do not abide by the same rules across the board anyway.

I don't think the only Halo game I've played (Combat Evolved) is mediocre or average, but I do think that the vast majority of its fans praise it for things it didn't do, and when I see people giving it 9.5s and 10s I can't help but wonder what the hell they find in it - I personally give it an 8.5 now (ignore my review, I rerated the game 8.5 sometime after I wrote it).

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ice144
[QUOTE="ice144"][QUOTE="JoeDoe1233"]

Have you played Halo 3 is the question?
Here's you're one reason you asked for: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=_s2DWJJh8qY&feature=related that was easy

And yes, I've actually played all those games you recommended.

Here's the ai, it's umm... good? Funny you say HL, because you realize that they quite literally stand and shoot for the most part? lol.

Am i missing something in that video, because all i see are enemies standing and shooting at the player...the same thing that HL2 does...

Or are you trying to point out the lackluster a.i. of your companions?

Or better yet, are you trying to say that the extremely easy scarab lords were fun and posed a challenge?

I'm sorry, but I've played way too many fps single-player games that outshine Halo in every single way (FEAR comes to mind right away).

TPOJ-TPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TPOJ-TPO
[QUOTE="JoeDoe1233"]

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]I don't think most of the complaints have anything to do with multiplayer (which is what you chose to rant about), but rather the single player campaign, across the ENTIRE series, has been mediocre. Nothing about the single player campaign (in any of the halo installments) has been amazing (outside of the soundtrack). The AI is bad. The environments are bland (in terms of layout and being repetitive. The NPCs are worthless - in a warthog for example, you are left either driving while the NPC blindly shoots or you are left shooting while the NPC blindly drives. The dialogue/audio of the NPCs is incongruous with the rest of the game. The story is nothing spectacular. The weapons, while the variety is decent, have terrible effects. The enemy variety is lacking. And oh yeah, the "ending" of the series was garbage.ice144

Halo's AI is far superior than Half-Life's. In Half-Life 2, your enemies take very basic commands and stand in one spot (most of the time) and shoot at you until you're dead. They don't speak to eachother or try to gang up on you, they just attack you. In Halo, the AI falls back, become scarred and speak to eachother to gang up and take you on all at once.

If you've been playing Halo since the beginning, you'll know what they're talking about. Halo 3 is a sequal where all the games you mentioned really begin a new story within the same universe, or are original.

The ending was more for the hardcore fans for Halo, so I can't argue with what you said.

The single player is great. Read what I said about the game's AI. The story really just continues where Halo 2 left off, and you're Finishing the Fight. The enviroments work very well together too as you try to take on enemies on all difficulties. There's also much more going on in the background if you decide to stop and listen to marines or radios. Many of the minor characters are also in most of the levels, and it's fun knowing their there because those certain marines recongize you and talk to you as if you're friends. And all of what Cortana says before the level 'Cortana', her dialoge is from the book 'Halo: Fall of Reach'. Infact a lot of Halo 3 has points from the rest of the Halo universe in there to tell you what else is going on or what happened before Halo 3. That's the single player.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

You hear many fanboys, in particular Hermits, toss around the idea that Halo is a mediocre game. Besides the fact that their arguement changes from Halo 1 is awful to Halo 1 was great, then to Halo 2 stunk then to Halo 1 and 2 were great but Halo 3 failed, I want to know why people say this.

- it does nothing new

So you guys really think Halo does nothing new? Give me a game that looks like this: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=udVuT7n2qEE

Seriously, I dare you, do it. I can match COD4 with a game easily, Crysis, or Killzone, or whatever, but I fail to see a game like Halo. An then there's forge which is more so like a funbox which can be used as a map editor and then neat stuff like boarding and that stuff

* here's my point: Why do you guys essentially pretend it's not good? It is. Why not just buy a 360 for it, they're not that expensive now. I've been playing Halo 3 strongly for over a year now, and I'm not letting up. Halo 3 is the only game worth a 10 this generation.

JoeDoe1233

You do realize the forge isn't a map editor? It's simply moving things around a map. If you want a map editor go play on the pc or some console games where you can create a level and not just move things around.

Halo isn't great but isn't bad either. It is an average game and that is the only thing it has going for it so-to speak. I can think of a few other games I would rather play than it because it doesn't have anything that makes it really stand out aside from Microsofts backing, if Microsoft didn't enter a deal with Bungie for Halo 1 you wouldn't even be playing it today I bet. Saying it's the best game is blatant fanboyism unless you can compare something other than graphics and a mini-sandbox that lets you move things around.

Pc standards? I'm not sure about pc standards but by my personal standards (I'm a hermit who doesn't care about graphics or gore overly) is if the game is fun and has good gameplay than its average unless it has something I either haven't seen before or it is done so well it wows me. I am sure there are a lot of others like me. Halo is a game that is in a genre that is saturated with things that have been done to death but it is fun. So I would call it average, not good or bad.

butteman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 butteman12
Member since 2005 • 2726 Posts

1. AI is amazing, kamakaze grunts run at you from behind, enemies flank you. thats very impressive.

2. WOW. the environements for H3 were sooo great (except the Cortana Level), you had levels from snow, to the jungles, to beaches, to deserts and mountains. i have NO idea what you are talking about

3.NPC's aim is pretty good actually and have you played it on Legendary? its very very hard. the dialogue of grunts are kind annoying i give you that but MC's, seargant johnson, cortana elites and arbiter had fantastic voice acting.

4.The story isnt good? LOL!

5.the weapons have lots of variety and each one is very useful for certain parts. dont know what you mean there.

6. there is a pretty good ending if you beat the game on legendary... so your points all fail.

H3 is an amazing FPS...probably the best out there.

JoeDoe1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JoeDoe1233
[QUOTE="JoeDoe1233"]

- it does nothing new

Whiteblade999

You do realize the forge isn't a map editor? It's simply moving things around a map. If you want a map editor go play on the pc or some console games where you can create a level and not just move things around.

Halo isn't great but isn't bad either. It is an average game and that is the only thing it has going for it so-to speak. I can think of a few other games I would rather play than it because it doesn't have anything that makes it really stand out aside from Microsofts backing, if Microsoft didn't enter a deal with Bungie for Halo 1 you wouldn't even be playing it today I bet. Saying it's the best game is blatant fanboyism unless you can compare something other than graphics and a mini-sandbox that lets you move things around.

Pc standards? I'm not sure about pc standards but by my personal standards (I'm a hermit who doesn't care about graphics or gore overly) is if the game is fun and has good gameplay than its average unless it has I either haven't seen before or it is done so well it wows me. I am sure there are a lot of others like me. Halo is a game that is in a genre that is saturated with things that have been done to death but it is fun. So I would call it average, not good or bad.

Forge is whatever you want it to be. It can be treated like a map editor (see distortion, grifball, or something like that) but what I personally use it for: f***ing around. Playing a game being floated through space to later be smashed by a box = win

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cloud_Insurance

(pss... in case you haven't noticed, the mc is metaphorically jesus, meaning the savior- although Im not imposing the holy part, but rather the saving part. Notice that he was always alive but then essentially restablished through the unfreezing, in the end was though to be dead, but then was alive only to go back away saying he'll come back when the time's right?)

Haven't played it? Honestly? My gamertag is G0NE R0GUE (the letter O is actually zeros). I've got all the offline achievements for the game, even played it through on Legendary. You really want me to explain at length why its mediocre in every single area when it comes to single player?

The AI is bad. Its just plain bad. And when you turn up the difficulty, the enemies don't become more aggressive or use different tactics, all that happens is that their aim and their damage increases.

Lets start with the first problem, with the AI. As you play through Halo, the enemies are presented to you (in most cases) as squads. Where there are a bunch of grunts (and sometimes jackals) who are led by a brute. Still with me? So why don't they act/react as a squad? You engage them and what happens? The grunts either turn away and run or suicide rush you with plasmas. What do the brutes do? Ah, the infamous loud grunt followed by the dive to the left or right behind cover. What happens next? A bunch of pop out and shoot followed by another period of taking cover. The enemies definitely don't work together, rarely ENGAGE you, and do little to actually disturb you while you are taking health (waiting for health to recover or looking for weapons).

The dialogue of the NPCs is in no way fitting. This game is supposed to be epic, an end of the world scenario. But you are surrounded by johnnie fruitcakes who make it sound like its one big joke. In Halo 3, remember after you meet up with the fleet and are piloting the tank towards the enemy stronghold? Remember the god awful set of dialogue: "tank beats ghost. tank beats wraith. tank beats everything!" That was so damn lame and out of place it made me want to stop playing. And those types of comments are throughout the game and totally go against the rest of the game.

Hmm...you're right because those 3 factions give you what in Halo 3? Grunts, jackals, hunters, brutes, and the flood in halo 3? Awesome variety there...

The weapons have terrible effects (not talking about visuals). Most of them (especially the non human ones) don't feel like you are shooting that type of weapon. They lack a punch to them. I shoot the magnum in a game like Half Life 2 and it feels like I'm shooting a damn magnum. Halo 3 doesn't have that.

OMG not a comparison to Jesus? No way. Wow, give this game an award for having a great story. Please.

I have better things to do than talk about games I haven't played. I'm sure as hell not going to take the time to discuss games I haven't played. Don't get so upset because someone has a different opinion (and actually took the time to explain it) than yours.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ice144

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]I don't think most of the complaints have anything to do with multiplayer (which is what you chose to rant about), but rather the single player campaign, across the ENTIRE series, has been mediocre. Nothing about the single player campaign (in any of the halo installments) has been amazing (outside of the soundtrack). The AI is bad. The environments are bland (in terms of layout and being repetitive. The NPCs are worthless - in a warthog for example, you are left either driving while the NPC blindly shoots or you are left shooting while the NPC blindly drives. The dialogue/audio of the NPCs is incongruous with the rest of the game. The story is nothing spectacular. The weapons, while the variety is decent, have terrible effects. The enemy variety is lacking. And oh yeah, the "ending" of the series was garbage.TPOJ-TPO

Halo's AI is far superior than Half-Life's. In Half-Life 2, your enemies take very basic commands and stand in one spot (most of the time) and shoot at you until you're dead. They don't speak to eachother or try to gang up on you, they just attack you. In Halo, the AI falls back, become scarred and speak to eachother to gang up and take you on all at once.

If you've been playing Halo since the beginning, you'll know what they're talking about. Halo 3 is a sequal where all the games you mentioned really begin a new story within the same universe, or are original.

The ending was more for the hardcore fans for Halo, so I can't argue with what you said.

The single player is great. Read what I said about the game's AI. The story really just continues where Halo 2 left off, and you're Finishing the Fight. The enviroments work very well together too as you try to take on enemies on all difficulties. There's also much more going on in the background if you decide to stop and listen to marines or radios. Many of the minor characters are also in most of the levels, and it's fun knowing their there because those certain marines recongize you and talk to you as if you're friends. And all of what Cortana says before the level 'Cortana', her dialoge is from the book 'Halo: Fall of Reach'. Infact a lot of Halo 3 has points from the rest of the Halo universe in there to tell you what else is going on or what happened before Halo 3. That's the single player.

Let me first start off by saying I've never seen an instance of what I bolded happen(I've heard them speak to each other, but i don't remember it having any practical effect besides the standard fps "GRENADE" call).

The only enemy from my memory of Halo that has any "good" a.i. is the brute, which occasionally does the things you listed(besides the grunts that run away). The same can be said for Half-life 2's Hunter, which also shows good a.i. Other than that, every single enemy in half life 2 or halo has the mindset of "let's charge them guys!" or "let's stand here and let them shoot us guys!"

I have played halo since the begining, and have read the books. I can safely say that for me, I would have had no idea what was going on in the halo universe had I not read them.

The fact that you have to mention a book to explain the dialogue for a level in Halo explains just how bad storywise the games were.

I respect your opinion on your last paragraph, but for me, I disagree. There are plenty of games with single-player modes that have done better than Halo has, in almost every single field.

JoeDoe1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JoeDoe1233

So, in conclusion, Halo 3 is teh **** It truly is.
I think we proved it here in this thread. Pretty much every single comment trying to disprove my topic do not make ANY sense at all to someone who has played Halo. For example, although not the only example, Ice. He's an idiot. (uh oh- im getting banned for that!) :shock:

Halo's just fun. I'm not saying it is the best shooter to EVERYBODY, but it certainly is ONE of the BEST and to me it is BY FAR THE BEST.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

- it does nothing new

- it's only popular, not good Agreed, this is a stupid statement.

So you guys really think Halo does nothing new? Give me a game that looks like this: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=udVuT7n2qEE What was so special about the vid?

Halo just fits the shooter archetype pioneered by earlier games and fits it perfectly. Mediocre doesn't mean bad, it just means more of the same.

Poor proof, it's still there although definately to a lesser extent than it was in past gens.A lot of reasons for this statement stem from Lemmings heralding the Forge, movie editting, etc. as new and unique ideas. The shooting mechanics are mostly the same, of course with added autoaim (as is the case with every console FPS, not a con).

JoeDoe1233

To me the game is average: The story is poor, the soundtrack is pretty solid, the gameplay is run-of-the-mill shooter fanfare (I loathe games where the characters control like they're on ice), the graphics are below average but the decent lighting makes up for it, and the game has a wide variety of online play modes to keep people playing. It's an enjoyable experience for the few hours it lasts, and the online can keep you going for awhile if "run and gun" is your thing.
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cloud_Insurance

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]I don't think most of the complaints have anything to do with multiplayer (which is what you chose to rant about), but rather the single player campaign, across the ENTIRE series, has been mediocre. Nothing about the single player campaign (in any of the halo installments) has been amazing (outside of the soundtrack). The AI is bad. The environments are bland (in terms of layout and being repetitive. The NPCs are worthless - in a warthog for example, you are left either driving while the NPC blindly shoots or you are left shooting while the NPC blindly drives. The dialogue/audio of the NPCs is incongruous with the rest of the game. The story is nothing spectacular. The weapons, while the variety is decent, have terrible effects. The enemy variety is lacking. And oh yeah, the "ending" of the series was garbage.butteman12

1. AI is amazing, kamakaze grunts run at you from behind, enemies flank you. thats very impressive.

2. WOW. the environements for H3 were sooo great (except the Cortana Level), you had levels from snow, to the jungles, to beaches, to deserts and mountains. i have NO idea what you are talking about

3.NPC's aim is pretty good actually and have you played it on Legendary? its very very hard. the dialogue of grunts are kind annoying i give you that but MC's, seargant johnson, cortana elites and arbiter had fantastic voice acting.

5.the weapons have lots of variety and each one is very useful for certain parts. dont know what you mean there.

6. there is a pretty good ending if you beat the game on legendary... so your points all fail.

1. No its not even close to having good AI. Play some more FPS first. Please, try some PC ones maybe.

2. No way? Snow? Beaches? Deserts? No way! Except when you look at those environments they are nothing but huge empty spaces (outside of the first level). They have almost no objects or geometry to them. Play an FPS like CoD or Resistance or anything else and the indoor and outdoor environments have far more detail. Things like furniture, you know?

3. Again, my gt is G0NE R0GUE,,,

4, Its an opinion shared by many

5. Hmm, I wasn't talking about variety and usefulness. I was talking about the effects of the weapons. Besides your really don't need much more than a BR to beat the game...

6. Oh yeah because having MC actually survive makes the game ending awesome, right?

JoeDoe1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JoeDoe1233
[QUOTE="butteman12"]

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]I don't think most of the complaints have anything to do with multiplayer (which is what you chose to rant about), but rather the single player campaign, across the ENTIRE series, has been mediocre. Nothing about the single player campaign (in any of the halo installments) has been amazing (outside of the soundtrack). The AI is bad. The environments are bland (in terms of layout and being repetitive. The NPCs are worthless - in a warthog for example, you are left either driving while the NPC blindly shoots or you are left shooting while the NPC blindly drives. The dialogue/audio of the NPCs is incongruous with the rest of the game. The story is nothing spectacular. The weapons, while the variety is decent, have terrible effects. The enemy variety is lacking. And oh yeah, the "ending" of the series was garbage.Cloud_Insurance

1. No its not even close to having good AI. Play some more FPS first. Please, try some PC ones maybe.

2. No way? Snow? Beaches? Deserts? No way! Except when you look at those environments they are nothing but huge empty spaces (outside of the first level). They have almost no objects or geometry to them. Play an FPS like CoD or Resistance or anything else and the indoor and outdoor environments have far more detail. Things like furniture, you know?

5. Hmm, I wasn't talking about variety and usefulness. I was talking about the effects of the weapons. Besides your really don't need much more than a BR to beat the game...

6. Oh yeah because having MC actually survive makes the game ending awesome, right?

And here's how I respond to you: You're...

You know what, I dont want to be banned yet, Ill just say that when people ask for a song that represents a song you should post this:

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=SIhrdWt4_a8

There's no cure for idiocity. Just a random fact.

** but on a serious note, DO YOU QUITE REALIZE HOW STUPID YOUR ARGUEMENTS SOUDN TO A HALO PLAYER?

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
Well...each one recieved AAA so they can't be too mediocre.
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cloud_Insurance
[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"][QUOTE="butteman12"]

And here's how I respond to you: You're...

You know what, I dont want to be banned yet, Ill just say that when people ask for a song that represents a song you should post this:

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=SIhrdWt4_a8

There's no cure for idiocity. Just a random fact.

** but on a serious note, DO YOU QUITE REALIZE HOW STUPID YOUR ARGUEMENTS SOUDN TO A HALO PLAYER?

I love it when people can't respond to my worthwhile arguments, so instead of actually addressing what I posted they make some sort of insult. Hooray.

The series has great multiplayer and average single player. Accept it or don't. I don't care.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ice144

I think we proved it here in this thread. Pretty much every single comment trying to disprove my topic do not make ANY sense at all to someone who has played Halo. For example, although not the only example, Ice. He's an idiot. (uh oh- im getting banned for that!) :shock:

Halo's just fun. I'm not saying it is the best shooter to EVERYBODY, but it certainly is ONE of the BEST and to me it is BY FAR THE BEST.

JoeDoe1233

I love how you resort to flaming instead of trying to defend your argument.

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts
Hmmm... Halo's getting some good backup in this thread. It'll be interesting if we got some more haters in here to turn the tide. I think Halo fanboys have a small edge over the others. It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.
JoeDoe1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JoeDoe1233
[QUOTE="JoeDoe1233"]

ice144

Why do I have to defend an arguement when you're essentially wounding yourself?

Ice is confused. anyone have a cure-all that he can use?

And besides, why wouldn't I flame you? Flame melts ice. It's the obvious tool

* Seriously though. You have NO clue what you're talking about. You're the epitome of a system wars poster. Have fun!

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts
It's because of hype, after all the review scores, the ads, the drink, all those extra's you finally get the game and it's no where as amazing as people make it out to be. Some people even go as far as to say it's the best shooters ever, when you experience and hear these things then play the game it seems all very underwhelming.
TPOJ-TPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TPOJ-TPO
[QUOTE="TPOJ-TPO"][QUOTE="ice144"][QUOTE="JoeDoe1233"]

Let me first start off by saying I've never seen an instance of what I bolded happen(I've heard them speak to each other, but i don't remember it having any practical effect besides the standard fps "GRENADE" call).

The only enemy from my memory of Halo that has any "good" a.i. is the brute, which occasionally does the things you listed(besides the grunts that run away). The same can be said for Half-life 2's Hunter, which also shows good a.i. Other than that, every single enemy in half life 2 or halo has the mindset of "let's charge them guys!" or "let's stand here and let them shoot us guys!"

I have played halo since the begining, and have read the books. I can safely say that for me, I would have had no idea what was going on in the halo universe had I not read them.

The fact that you have to mention a book to explain the dialogue for a level in Halo explains just how bad storywise the games were.

I respect your opinion on your last paragraph, but for me, I disagree. There are plenty of games with single-player modes that have done better than Halo has, in almost every single field.

But Halo's AI is smart, even reviewers have said it is still some of the best. They actually fall back and take cover when their about to die, the Brutes do this too exxcpt, in some cases, they are irrated you shot their armor off and then they'll charge you. The grunts react when their leader dies and decides to "Run away!" or they will go kamakazi and go into sucide mose, rushing you with lit grenades, as other try to find cover. If you get to close to a Jackel, mostly sniper Jackels, they'll run for cover. At some instances, I did notice Brutes saying, "Throw a grenade!" and almost every Brute in lower rank would throw one. The AI aslo react with what weapons they have. A brute with a Mauler will try to rush you, where a Brute with a Carbine will try to stay or fall back for range instead. On the level 'The Ark', where you have to kill a Brute chieftan and the ranger Brutes, the Chieftan calls out "Stay! He's mine!" so you get to fight him one on one until he kills you or you kill him. When you do kill him, some the of Brutes just sit there as if they're asking themselves, "Did that really just happen?" where the other Brutes try to attack you depending on what weapon they have. Soon, the other Brutes fight too.

Cortana's dialoge from the first Halo book is mostly for fans of the series, but it also tells you what's going to happen or what did happen, all said by Dr. Halsey. But the story in the games are great as well. Between the trilogy, the games are based on what you're doing, while throwing in other stories or what's going on at the same time in the same universe. Having Halo 3 give you the story at hand and what else is going on at the same time is remarkable.

Thank you for respecting my opinion.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ice144

JoeDoe1233

* Seriously though. You have NO clue what you're talking about. You're the epitome of a system wars poster. Have fun!

Forget it, it seems I've been debating with an immature child who, instead of responding to a poster with a logical and well-thought out argument, decides to flame them, poorly.

TPOJ-TPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TPOJ-TPO
[QUOTE="JoeDoe1233"][QUOTE="ice144"][QUOTE="JoeDoe1233"]

ice144

Forget it, it seems I've been debating with an immature child who, instead of responding to a poster with a logical and well-thought out argument, decides to flame them, poorly.

JoeDoe1123, you're not acting very mature. ice144 has made a very good arguement about what he thinks of Halo, and you're just sitting there throwing it right back into his face because you don't like his opinion. You're posts have become illogical and childish. To me, ice144 is a much better System Wars poster than you.
NinjaSkills247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NinjaSkills247
Member since 2008 • 312 Posts
The only reason it is popular is because it is easy to get into and is easy to learn. And it is amazingly overhyped and overrated.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Its not mediocre.

Far From it.

However innovative? Hell no.

Nothing by PC standards? No, of course not, but there are loads of PC shooters out there - especially when the first was released in 01, and the second in 04, that really didnt make the game stand out to PC gamers.
Is it any surprise? The features console gamers were raving about in the game in 01, were already wideley accepted by PC gamers...
Even in 04 with Halo 2s online - PC gamers had been playing online since the early 90s and Halo 3s community features in 07 - even those were common and wideley accepted by PC gamers....

Of course its a good game no question about that.

My personal opinion? Its singleplayer is not at the same quality of respecitve shooters of the era - 2004 and 2007. I think its become primarily a multiplayer franchise, and the singleplayers quality is evidence of it.

I think the first Halo was a great game, however being someone who was an avid PC gamer then, it didnt nearly as make as much of an impression on me as it did.

Note I was hyping Halo during its development in the late 90s and eagarly anticipating its release in 01 - as well as the Xbox itself.

butteman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 butteman12
Member since 2005 • 2726 Posts
[QUOTE="butteman12"]

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]I don't think most of the complaints have anything to do with multiplayer (which is what you chose to rant about), but rather the single player campaign, across the ENTIRE series, has been mediocre. Nothing about the single player campaign (in any of the halo installments) has been amazing (outside of the soundtrack). The AI is bad. The environments are bland (in terms of layout and being repetitive. The NPCs are worthless - in a warthog for example, you are left either driving while the NPC blindly shoots or you are left shooting while the NPC blindly drives. The dialogue/audio of the NPCs is incongruous with the rest of the game. The story is nothing spectacular. The weapons, while the variety is decent, have terrible effects. The enemy variety is lacking. And oh yeah, the "ending" of the series was garbage.Cloud_Insurance

1. please tell me why it has bad AI...give me an example.

2. So "The Covenant" level, "Arrival" level, " The Ark" level and the "Tsao's Highway" (something like that, i dont know the first word of the level but the 2nd one is Highway") are all levels that have nothing in them? lol great logic (sarcasm). COD4 has good environements but i wouldnt want to touch a game as mediocre as Resistance.

3. i dont care what your GT is... what does it have to do with NPC aim and difficulty?

4. ok thats your opinion. fine

5. lol just try and go through the game on Legendary using only a BR. you'll die the first level. every gun is useful in its own way and most importantly, they are all fun to use.

6. eh mostly opinion wise. i thought the ending was pretty good but i do admit that it was kinda dissapointing.

so most of your arguements suck...no offense.

WileyCoyote315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WileyCoyote315
Member since 2008 • 320 Posts

- it does nothing new

JoeDoe1233

I am a Halo fan and this guy does not speak for the community. You'll find that halo fans are into multiplayer so that definately leave room for the arguement that single player is a bit mediocre. This explains perfectly why Halo 3 wasnt a 10, it deserves a 9.5.

Halo 3 is the best multiplayer shoot console has to offer. I'll argue this point strongly. But in terms of single player campaign especially in comparison to PC games, it falls way short of Half Life 2 and its episodes.

Only a flamer would argue that Halo 3 is the only game worthy of a 10 this gen.

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Cloud_Insurance

1. please tell me why it has bad AI...give me an example.

2. So "The Covenant" level, "Arrival" level, " The Ark" level and the "Tsao's Highway" (something like that, i dont know the first word of the level but the 2nd one is Highway") are all levels that have nothing in them? lol great logic (sarcasm). COD4 has good environements but i wouldnt want to touch a game as mediocre as Resistance.

3. i dont care what your GT is... what does it have to do with NPC aim and difficulty?

4. ok thats your opinion. fine

5. lol just try and go through the game on Legendary using only a BR. you'll die the first level. every gun is useful in its own way and most importantly, they are all fun to use.

6. eh mostly opinion wise. i thought the ending was pretty good but i do admit that it was kinda dissapointing.

so most of your arguements suck...no offense.

butteman12

I already explained everything in another post. You can put some effort forth and actually read the whole thread. The AI in Halo 3 is not good. Period. The "mediocre" Resistance has significantly better AI, but then again, you haven't played Resistance, so you wouldn't know. You are simply looking at the review score and guessing that it has bad AI. And whoever said Half Life 2 had good AI is wrong, it has worse AI than Halo 3, but that has nothing to do with anything. Simply increasing the enemy's accuracy and weapon damage as you increase the difficulty level does not mean the game has good AI.

The outdoor environments have very little geometry to them. The indoor environments are ridiculously sparse, void of furniture, art, anything that you would see inside a structure. The outdoor environments (After the first level in the jungle) are pretty much just huge open spaces with rock formations and high canyon walls. Boring and repetitive.

Try and take down the scarabs while piloting a hog. The NPCs will take forever to bring them down. FOR. EV. ER. There aim is atrocious, they do absolutely nothing for you.

I gave you my GT for a reason, to show you that I played through the game on Legendary (even got all the skulls). As with previous Halo games its not hard to beat by yourself. All it takes is patience and a whole lot of backtracking for ammo. Outside of grenades and the occasional rocket or sniper rifle, all you need to beat the game is the BR and PP, nothing has changed from Halo 1. The poor AI makes the game a joke even on Legendary. The enemy so rarely engages you, so rarely pursues you, flanks you, that you really have nothing to worry about. Hang back until the opportunity presents itself, then shoot a little, take some damage, go hide again, recover health, and repeat.

So yeah, my arguments are better than your apparent non existent ones. Thanks.