How good of Blu-Ray player will ps4 & Xbox 1 have?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by IFBB-PRO (211 posts) -

PS3 was considered to be top blu ray player for good while. Do you guys think ps4 & Xbox 1 will have high quality blu ray player this time around that can compete with high quality stand alone units?

#2 Posted by hoosier7 (4166 posts) -

Didn't know there was a difference?

Anyone know if either of the consoles do upscaling for DVDs? The PS3 did it really well and i'm more bothered about that than blurays atm given my backlog of DVDs.

#3 Edited by lamprey263 (34380 posts) -

PS4 does 3D-Blu-ray, X1 doesn't, that's the only difference really

#4 Edited by RoslindaleOne (7566 posts) -

Never used my ps3 to play blurays. Always used my BD player. Anyways, I'm sure they will have great bluray playback.

#5 Edited by Chutebox (43047 posts) -

If you're talking about picture, there will be no difference

Hopefully for lems X1 can force 24 on BD playback

#6 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (2365 posts) -

Got no idea but obviously the PS4 will have the better one

#7 Edited by cainetao11 (32304 posts) -

I don't watch movies on disc anymore. I just stream.

#8 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

PS4 does 3D-Blu-ray, X1 doesn't, that's the only difference really

You are right about those differences, but I should stress that is not necessarily everything.

That is all we know of currentlly...there may be differences in gamma, black levels, features, audio, and tiny other things that video and audiophiles will have to break down over the next few months.

I'm sure the differences will be minute, but we can't auto assume they will be identical, as not even the DVD players were identical in the PS2 vs. Xbox, or PS3 vs. 360. Subtle differences that hardcore buffs will scrutinize, and for those that cared, there were differences worth note.

Sony does have an edge in this technology as they make high quality Blu-Ray players (in addition to the PS3's high quality Blu-Ray player), but we'll see how that pans out soon enough. Their advantage may be nil. We'll see.

#9 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

I have 3 blu-ray players in my house (not even counting my PS3), I don't even think I care if PS4/X1 have this feature.

#10 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

6x speed... Good enough watch a movie...