How do you rate the GAMEPLAY of MGS4?

• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

How do people here rate the actual gameplay of Metal Gear Solid 4, excluding the mythology, the cutscenes etc. 

Just the moment when you're fully in control. 

Thanks gang!! 

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DropsofJupiter
Member since 2013 • 1449 Posts
Pretty mediocre. Bit of a letdown after how much I enjoyed MGS3.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I'd give it a 0. It's hard to give a score to something that doesn't exist.

300815084_screen0360x480.jpg

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I have not played it in 3 years, but it was amazing.  It varies things up a lot while remaining fun and relevant to MGS.  The opening act is so awesome.  I love all the choice you have in how you tackle situations and all the back alleys and such.

Speedzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Speedzilla
Member since 2012 • 1732 Posts

10/10 ;)

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I think I liked all the deeper systems of MGS3 better. But MGS4 really nailed the gunplay. Basically turned the gunplay into a standard third person shooter. Which is exactly what it needed. If there was a complete remake of MGS3, with all the stealth systems intact, but with the gunplay remodeled with the MGS4 controls.. it'd be the best MGS game ever, end of story.

DeAquellas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DeAquellas
Member since 2012 • 129 Posts

The gameplay was very polished, especially the gunplay compared to previous MGS titles.  The thing that killed it for me was the Debrin shop, it just took away the exploration to look for weapons.

Very polished, more emphasis on going guns blazing.  MGS3 FTW!!

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
Took the emphasis off stealth and moved it to gunplay. Not a fan.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
controls are way way way better than 1-3
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts
GS thought 10/10
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I loved it, it was the best yet. You had the option of stealth or all out gunplay depending on how you choose to play. I chose stealth of course, amazing game.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

10/10 ;)

Speedzilla

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 princeofshapeir

I loved it, it was the best yet. You had the option of stealth or all out gunplay depending on how you choose to play. I chose stealth of course, amazing game.

SolidTy
Except the final act, where, you know, stealth isn't an option. At all.
DeAquellas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DeAquellas

Took the emphasis off stealth and moved it to gunplay. Not a fan. princeofshapeir

This.

Of coarse it depends on how you play it.  But on previous titles it was a priority to avoid any alerts.

On previous titles it always felt you were infriltating the enemy, going without guns.  You would have to explore to look for them.  You could pretty much go through the whole game without using automatics.

MGS4 felt as though stealth wasn't as high a priority.  Debrin shop killed any tension of running out of ammo.

Great game regardless.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

princeofshapeir

That's cool. Been there done that with MGS4 discussions since 2008, but I respect how you feel about the game. Peace.

To the TC : I've played every single Kojima Directed Metal Gear Solid game on launch. My exposure to the series was the NES sans the "solid" in the title, but it was the MGSolid games that took the series to amazing new heights. Kojima is amazing, and I can't wait to play the next game he directs when it's NEW and most relevant. Those gamers that come later by word of mouth and play these games late can't see the influence his games have on the industry, they don't understand the impact of the work. They take too many gameplay and other elements sprinkled in MGS games for granted. I'm not sure how MGS4 stands up in 2013, I didn't play it this year, but I did play it multiple times in 2008. I do plan on playing it again soon though, as I've been going through the games with some friends, although working around their schedule is a pain.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

10/10

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 princeofshapeir

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

That's cool. Been there done that with MGS4 discussions since 2008, but I respect how you feel about the game. Peace.

To the TC : I've played every single Kojima Directed Metal Gear Solid game on launch. My exposure to the series was the NES sans the "solid" in the title, but it was the MGSolid games that took the series to amazing new heights. Kojima is amazing, and I can't wait to play the next game he directs.

lol, that wasn't even an opinion. That's a fact. If I remember the final act correctly (unless you count that Big Boss crap as the final act) you're thrown into Outer Haven with perma-alert, have to shoot through all the guards to get inside, fight the final BB Corps boss, then make your way through a hallway of those little robot things, then crawl through that heat room, and then it's a final boss fight with Liquid. No option to use stealth at all.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] Except the final act, where, you know, stealth isn't an option. At all. princeofshapeir

To the TC : I've played every single Kojima Directed Metal Gear Solid game on launch. My exposure to the series was the NES sans the "solid" in the title, but it was the MGSolid games that took the series to amazing new heights. Kojima is amazing, and I can't wait to play the next game he directs when it's NEW and most relevant. Those gamers that come later by word of mouth and play these games late can't see the influence his games have on the industry, they don't understand the impact of the work. They take too many gameplay and other elements sprinkled in MGS games for granted. I'm not sure how MGS4 stands up in 2013, I didn't play it this year, but I did play it multiple times in 2008. I do plan on playing it again soon though, as I've been going through the games with some friends, although working around their schedule is a pain..

lol, that wasn't even an opinion. That's a fact. If I remember the final act correctly (unless you count that Big Boss crap as the final act) you're thrown into Outer Haven with perma-alert, have to shoot through all the guards to get inside, fight the final BB Corps boss, then make your way through a hallway of those little robot things, then crawl through that heat room, and then it's a final boss fight with Liquid. No option to use stealth at all.

That's cool.

Been there done that with MGS4 discussions since 2008, but I respect how you feel about the game. Peace.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Two thumbs up, would watch again.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 princeofshapeir

To the TC : I've played every single Kojima Directed Metal Gear Solid game on launch. My exposure to the series was the NES sans the "solid" in the title, but it was the MGSolid games that took the series to amazing new heights. Kojima is amazing, and I can't wait to play the next game he directs when it's NEW and most relevant. Those gamers that come later by word of mouth and play these games late can't see the influence his games have on the industry, they don't understand the impact of the work. They take too many gameplay and other elements sprinkled in MGS games for granted. I'm not sure how MGS4 stands up in 2013, I didn't play it this year, but I did play it multiple times in 2008. I do plan on playing it again soon though, as I've been going through the games with some friends, although working around their schedule is a pain..

SolidTy

That's cool.

Been there done that with MGS4 discussions since 2008, but I respect how you feel about the game. Peace.

"na-na-na-na I'm not listening"
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] lol, that wasn't even an opinion. That's a fact. If I remember the final act correctly (unless you count that Big Boss crap as the final act) you're thrown into Outer Haven with perma-alert, have to shoot through all the guards to get inside, fight the final BB Corps boss, then make your way through a hallway of those little robot things, then crawl through that heat room, and then it's a final boss fight with Liquid. No option to use stealth at all.princeofshapeir

That's cool.

This is amusing, you've assumed I took a stance or somehow denied your point. I did not. :lol:

I'm not going to regurgitate MGS4 debates that I've engaged in over the years. It's soooo boring and old to me. I'm sorry you didn't get your fill of the debates back when they were relevant. To be honest, you should just look into the thousands of MGS4 threads from SW, I was in hundreds of them, I'm sure.

I'm done arguing about the game. I didn't deny or confirm anything about the game so far, and I won't. I said my peace years ago.

It's abundantly clear you have no respect though, so I take back my respect for your opinions. :!:

Been there done that with MGS4 discussions since 2008, but you don't like Act 4. I gotcha ya. No Peace.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 princeofshapeir

That's cool.

SolidTy

This is amusing, you've assumed I took a stance or somehow denied your point. I did not. :lol:

I'm not going to regurgitate MGS4 debates that I've engaged in over the years. It's soooo boring and old to me. I'm sorry you didn't get your fill of the debates back when they were relevant. To be honest, you should just look into the thousands of MGS4 threads from SW, I was in hundreds of them, I'm sure.

I'm done arguing about the game. I didn't deny or confirm anything about the game so far, and I won't. I said my peace years ago.

It's abundantly clear you have no respect though, so I take back my respect for your opinions. :!:

Been there done that with MGS4 discussions since 2008, but you don't like Act 4. I gotcha ya. No Peace.

So mad. I posted that mostly because you didn't even bother to type out a legit response. Doesn't mean I assumed you disagreed with me or refused to believe Act IV contained zero stealth elements whatsoever, thereby exposing a hole in your claim that the game let you "choose between stealth and shooting." I also never said I didn't like Act IV. I just said it didn't have ANY option of stealth. Starting to get why you refuse to discuss MGS4 anymore with these kinds of responses.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] "na-na-na-na I'm not listening" princeofshapeir

So mad. I posted that mostly because you didn't even bother to type out a legit response. Doesn't mean I assumed you disagreed with me or refused to believe Act IV contained zero stealth elements whatsoever, thereby exposing a hole in your claim that the game let you "choose between stealth and shooting." I also never said I didn't like Act IV. I just said it didn't have ANY option of stealth. Starting to get why you refuse to discuss MGS4 anymore with these kinds of responses.

U mad?

He mad?

He mad. :P

Your MGS4 copy btw is a red label Greatest Hits in the objective picture you provided Gamespot.com SW below. If you don't see it, it's right below your Greatest Hits copy of Killzone 2. Nice, I'm glad you got to check MGS4 Greatest Hits out at some point at least. Millions of fans bought MGS4 and voted with their dollars, may as well see what all the fuss was about many months/years later. Let me guess, you had the original, but sold it, and picked up the Greatest Hits copy when that was made available later. I feel ya as I've heard it plenty of times. That explains why you are still discussing MGS4 2013. It was an ambitious game, I'm digging whatever Kojima throws my way next.

w5Elt.jpg

Peace Out, home fry.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

The gameplay is the best thing about the game.  It's kind of crappy that, with how old it is, so few games have begun to approach it in terms of variety and depth.

I'll put it this way.  I can still put in MGS IV and enjoy the game play.  I'll skip the cutscenes, since I've seen them before, but still enjoy the game immensely.  I can't say that about any other game from 2008 that I can think of.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts
I don't remember much except flopping around like a fish on the ground looking for the best Octocamo blend. The action never got more exciting than the cutscenes.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

controls are way way way better than 1-3campzor

That and online is the only thing it has. But as a whole, MGS1-3>>>>>>>>>>>>>4

Im sorry but where was the gameplay in 4? My 1st playthrough was 16 hrs and the majority of it was cutscenes or codec moments.

DeAquellas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DeAquellas

[QUOTE="campzor"]controls are way way way better than 1-3PSP107
That and online is the only thing it has. But as a whole, MGS1-3>>>>>>>>>>>>>4 Im sorry but where was the gameplay in 4? My 1st playthrough was 16 hrs and the mojority of it was cutscenes or codec moments.

True.  Like you say, as a whole even Portable Ops and Peace Walker have a greater emphasis on stealth gameplay than 4.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Not great. The level design is all over the place, the focus on combat and the shooting is miserable and the actual stealth itself felt better done in MGS3 - minus the suit stuff. Even stuff like the items weren't ever necessary. But gosh the combat was bad in MGS4. Sticking shooter mechanics ontop of the same old a.i. and alert and respawn system was an absolute disaster.
DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DropsofJupiter
Member since 2013 • 1449 Posts

SolidTy

U mad?

He mad?

Your MGS4 copy btw is a red label Greatest Hits in the objective picture you provided Gamespot.com SW below. If you don't see it, it's right below your Greatest Hits copy of Killzone 2. Nice, I'm glad you got to check MGS4 Greatest Hits out at some point at least. Millions of fans bought MGS4 and voted with their dollars, may as well see what all the fuss was about many months/years later. Let me guess, you had the original, but sold it, and picked up the Greatest Hits copy when that was made available later. I feel ya as I've heard it plenty of times. That explains why you are still discussing MGS4 2013. It was an ambitious game, I'm digging whatever Kojima throws my way next.

w5Elt.jpg

Peace Out, home fry.

Dude, that's almost stalkerish :P
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

9/10

I just wish there was more gameplay. I think the game goes downhill once you reach act 3.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Pretty mediocre. Bit of a letdown after how much I enjoyed MGS3.DropsofJupiter

I agree, but the Camoflage was great.

Just wish they brought back the survival elements.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

10/10 ;)

Speedzilla
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

SolidTy

U mad?

He mad?

w5Elt.jpg

Peace Out, home fry.

Ownage approved. Ouch.
15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

Pretty damn good. People fail to realize that there are over 50 weapons and gadgets in the game. There are more wyas to take out an oppent with just your hands than in most games period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94gSY08qKL4

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

princeofshapeir

no.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Controls are the best in the series, but the game loses out on a lot of stealth elements and focuses more on combat, to its detriment.

The gameplay is still excellent and it's worth playing from a gameplay perspective. Your mileage will vary on the story. I hated it, but the gameplay kept me going.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

[QUOTE="Speedzilla"]

10/10 ;)

Krelian-co

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
MGS4 is the worst game in the main series.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Gameplay wise it offered alot compared to most games, the problem was the amount of cutscenes in comparison.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

playing MGS3 right now and you have no idea how archaic, limited and stiff the gameplay feels compared to MGS4. You can tell right away that both games are from different generation not just because of the graphics but the gameplay too.

But when you compare MGS4 to Splinter Cell gameplay wise it is MGS4 the one that feels really archaic but even then it still really fun for some reason. MGS4 is one of my most fav games of this gen.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

MGS4 is the worst game in the main series. SAGE_OF_FIRE
wrong.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]MGS4 is the worst game in the main series. GrayF0X786

wrong.

True story. Metal Gear Solid 2 exists.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
4 hours of gameplay filled with some of the stupidest AI ive ever seen you dont need stealth simply run around every enemy except the forced encounters... still just a movie.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#45 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

Well when you play the game on the hardest difficulty it pretty much forces you back into stealthing your way through the majority of the game and it's a lot of fun tbh.

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
I loved it. If you want to run and gun that's there. If you want to stealth , that's also there. Amazing game
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gue1

MGS4 is the worst game in the main series. SAGE_OF_FIRE

you never played MGS2? That one is by far the worst. I have the HD collection but I think I'm gonna skip it.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"] True story. Metal Gear Solid 2 exists.DarkLink77

MGS2 still manages to be a better game than mgs4 though.

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]MGS4 is the worst game in the main series. Gue1

you never played MGS2? That one is the worst and by a pretty big margin.

Story:

MGS3>MGS1>MGS4>MGS2

Gameplay:

MGS3>MGS2>MGS4>MGS1

Bosses:

MGS3>MGS2>MGS1>MGS4

Setting:

MGS3>MGS1>MGS2>MGS4

Level design:

MGS2>MGS3>MGS1>MGS4

Characters:

MGS3>MGS1>MGS2>MGS4

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gue1

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="GrayF0X786"] wrong.

SAGE_OF_FIRE

True story. Metal Gear Solid 2 exists.

MGS2 still manages to be a better game than mgs4 though.

sure   :roll:

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

There was game play? Damn I must have slept through those 5 minutes :?