How come Vita destroys 3DS when it comes to indies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (22216 posts) -

Shouldn't 3DS be dominating Vita in this department considering sheep like to remind us how successful it is? Yet here I am playing Rogue Legacy on my Vita (awesome game btw) and I see it's not available for 3DS. The 3DS also won't be getting games like The Swapper (coming out next week) or Hotline Miami 2. Heck, it doesn't even have Spelunky. Vita owners get games like TxK,OlliOlli,Velocity (and Velocity 2X), Guacamelee, Stealth Inc, Sound Shapes, Hohokum, CounterSpy, and more. Surely 3DS could do better than that, right? So what gives, SW? I ask you since you guys know everything.

#2 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29581 posts) -

Basically.

Vita is easier to port over.

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (82622 posts) -

Because it's very easy to copy/paste stuff from PS3 or PS4 on to the Vita.

Indies really aren't a whole lot to brag about, especially considering they're all the Vita really has anymore.

#4 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22216 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Indies really aren't a whole lot to brag about, especially considering they're all the Vita really has anymore.

no excuses please. 3ds is most amazing handheld crazy good sales yet no indies? pretty bad if you ask me

#5 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

Lol vita

#6 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

Yeah, but Vita ain't got Shovel Knight.

But seriously, Vita crushes 3DS in the indie department. Stoked for Hohokum, but mainly for the PS4.

#7 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

and localized japanese games

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (82622 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

no excuses please. 3ds is most amazing handheld crazy good sales yet no indies? pretty bad if you ask me

I'm still not seeing what one has to do with the other. PS3 was an amazing console, and it sucked in the indies department for all but the last two years of its life.

3DS is beaten by Vita in terms of indie game support, but that doesn't mean it has 'no indies' like you said- it has plenty of indie games of its own, including games like SteamWorld Dig, Retro City Rampage, Gunman Clive, Denpa Men, or Shovel Knight.

All of which is of course irrelevant since you don't actually have a point to make in this thread. Yes, 3DS is an amazing handheld. Yes, it has crazy good sales. Yes, it has better third party support than Vita. Yes, it has better first party support than Vita. No, it does not have better indie game support than Vita. And no, that last point neither contradicts nor negates all of the other points.

#9 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

I'm still not seeing what one has to do with the other. PS3 was an amazing console, and it sucked in the indies department for all but the last two years of its life.

3DS is beaten by Vita in terms of indie game support, but that doesn't mean it has 'no indies' like you said- it has plenty of indie games of its own, including games like SteamWorld Dig, Retro City Rampage, Gunman Clive, Denpa Men, or Shovel Knight.

All of which is of course irrelevant since you don't actually have a point to make in this thread. Yes, 3DS is an amazing handheld. Yes, it has crazy good sales. Yes, it has better third party support than Vita. Yes, it has better first party support than Vita. No, it does not have better indie game support than Vita. And no, that last point neither contradicts nor negates all of the other points.

You should lock this thread so TC can complain about mod bias against vita to add to his Mod conspiracy. :P

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (82622 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

You should lock this thread so TC can complain about mod bias against vita to add to his Mod conspiracy. :P

I was going to, but I want to give him the chance to basically articulate any point he may have actually had, but maybe fumbled with.

#11 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

Because less censorship and easier to port.

#12 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22216 posts) -

Lostrib is the biggest hypocrite. Complains to mods all the time but trolls/stalks people on sw.

#13 Posted by hiphops_savior (8431 posts) -

@Blabadon: Nintendo only censors its own games. Indies only have to abide by a ratings system.

#14 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

I was going to, but I want to give him the chance to basically articulate any point he may have actually had, but maybe fumbled with.

#15 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

Indies? You mean those games that pretty much everyone on this forum can play using a shitty laptop?

#16 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

Lostrib is the biggest hypocrite. Complains to mods all the time but trolls/stalks people on sw.

Lol Lostrib

...wait...Shit!

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (82622 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Because less censorship and easier to port.

Nintendo is actually easier on censorship rules for third parties than any of the other two platform manufacturers. They basically allowed a completely uncensored version of BMX XXX, Manhunt 2, or Ninja Gaiden 3 where other platform manufacturers asked for censorship in those games. Gone are the old days of 'Nintendo censorship'- to be precise, they lie 20 years in the past.

@SolidGame_basic said:

So do you actually have a point, or not?

#18 Edited by parkurtommo (28295 posts) -

Because Nintendo is anti indies for some reason. Probably why the PeterPanStation (WiiU) is so bad.

#19 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Obviously the point is that I'm awesome

#20 Posted by Raptor_Herc (330 posts) -

Easier to port over (particularly thanks to Unity Development Engine support). That is why even the low-selling Wii U is getting a wider selection of indie titles.

#21 Edited by SolidGame_basic (22216 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

um, I did answer you dude. saying it's easier to port from ps3 to Vita has no relevancy as to why the 3DS doesn't compete more for indies. 3DS has a much bigger market than the Vita. there's plenty of opportunities. if you don't believe the Vita has a ton more indies on its way, go google it (as you like to tell people). btw, this thread is about indies. don't know why you're trying to blow this up as some kind of attack thread. I own both a 3ds and a Vita.

#22 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

um, I did answer you dude. saying it's easier to port from ps3 to Vita has no relevancy as to why the 3DS doesn't compete more for indies. 3DS has a much bigger market than the Vita. there's plenty of opportunities. if you don't believe the Vita has a ton more indies on its way, go google it (as you like to tell people). btw, this thread is about indies. don't know why you're trying to blow this up as some kind of attack thread. I own both a 3ds and a Vita.

how is ease of development not relevant?

#23 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22216 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

is 3DS made out of some special goo or something? how did other games get on there?

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (82622 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

When did I say Vita doesn't have more indies, presently or in the future? When have I ever told anyone to google anything?

You had a question you posed in the OP: 'why does Vita get more indies?' I answered with 'easier porting process makes it more lucrative to port to Vita.' Then you say 'that's not relevant.'

Er, yes, yes it is. That is the reason the Vita gets more indies. It has an architecture similar to the PS3 and PS4, a framework that makes it easier to port games to it from those platforms, and full support for Unity, which makes it easier to port mobile and smartphone games too. All of this means putting an indie game on Vita is very cheap, and will probably more than make its money back. The 3DS would necessitate a custom from the ground up port of the game, and many indie game developers, that are smaller or lack money, don't have the resources to devote to that.

But the long and shot of this thread so far has been:

You: Question

Me: Answer

You: Your answer is irrelevant. Answer my question.

... okay then.

#25 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@lostrib said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

is 3DS made out of some special goo or something? how did other games get on there?

Way to go not answering the question

#26 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

When did I say Vita doesn't have more indies, presently or in the future? When have I ever told anyone to google anything?

You had a question you posed in the OP: 'why does Vita get more indies?' I answered with 'easier porting process makes it more lucrative to port to Vita.' Then you say 'that's not relevant.'

Er, yes, yes it is. That is the reason the Vita gets more indies. It has an architecture similar to the PS3 and PS4, a framework that makes it easier to port games to it from those platforms, and full support for Unity, which makes it easier to port mobile and smartphone games too. All of this means putting an indie game on Vita is very cheap, and will probably more than make its money back. The 3DS would necessitate a custom from the ground up port of the game, and many indie game developers, that are smaller or lack money, don't have the resources to devote to that.

... okay then.

Well, I guess you really shouldn't expect much from someone who admits to feeling the need to defend his console of choice to people in real life. Better not "diss" his vita yo!

#27 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22216 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

... okay then.

it has an architecture similar to ps3 and ps4? how is that even possible? both the ps3 and ps4 are inherently different. so you're saying the 3ds is so different from a hardware perspective that they can't get a game like spelunky on it? seriously? and that they won't make any money on it when they've already made money on it on PC and other platforms? and that an opportunity to sell to 40 million people (as opposed to 8-10 million for vita) is too costly? doesn't really add up...

#28 Edited by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

@hiphops_savior: @charizard1605: Binding of Isaac

#29 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22216 posts) -

lostrib you stalk me on SW so much that I'm pretty sure I won't be posting on this username anymore

#30 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

lostrib you stalk me on SW so much that I'm pretty sure I won't be posting on this username anymore

So what's the plan? You switch to some alt, make the same stupid posts/threads and then accuse me of stalking when I post in them. And then start the whole thing over again.

Man up

#31 Posted by wolverine4262 (20831 posts) -

3DS gamers have plenty of 3DS games to play. Multiplat indies wouldnt sell.

#32 Posted by charizard1605 (82622 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

... okay then.

it has an architecture similar to ps3 and ps4? how is that even possible? both the ps3 and ps4 are inherently different. so you're saying the 3ds is so different from a hardware perspective that they can't get a game like spelunky on it? seriously? and that they won't make any money on it when they've already made money on it on PC and other platforms? and that an opportunity to sell to 40 million people (as opposed to 8-10 million for vita) is too costly? doesn't really add up...

Because indie games sell 40 million units! Yeah, that's right!

Indie games sell to a niche audience. Sub million, a million if they are lucky (unless they are called Minecraft). Indie game developers are either presented with the choice of developing the game for ONLY the 3DS, which requires a new development architecture and pipeline, and sell to the same niche audience, or to put it on PS4, PS3, AND PS Vita, which all share a development environment and tools (a fact that you are constantly ignoring), and potentially triples the audience (or at least makes it larger than the 3DS's, since the 3DS is still just one system).

3DS is not only different from a hardware perspective- which it is, it's completely unlike any other system on the market- but also from a software and development environment perspective. No support for Unreal 3 or above, no support for Unity, no support for any tools or development engines that indie game developers used. Unless indie developers decide to develop EXCLUSIVELY for the 3DS, they are not going to bother with cutting down their audience by as much as a third.

I just need to point out- 3DS is one development environment. PS4/PSV/PS3 is another. 3DS has sold 50 million. PS4/PS3/PSV have sold 100 million. A developer with a shortage of development resources will always go for the latter, not the former.

Now, once again, stop being obtuse, and if you actually have a point to make, make it. If your point is just 'Vita has more indie games!!!' well... no shit. Welcome to 2012.

#33 Edited by charizard1605 (82622 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

They did not censor it. It didn't pass the approval process, but there was nothing ever said about censorship.

#34 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

I guess I hurt TC's feelings too much

#35 Edited by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Blabadon said:

They did not censor it. It didn't pass the approval process, but there was nothing ever said about censorship.

Potato potahto.

#36 Posted by wolverine4262 (20831 posts) -

@lostrib:

On the bright side, if he does make a new account, at least he cant make threads for a while.

#39 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@farrell2k said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Basically.

Vita is easier to port over.

Nah, most people use Unity for both. The code base between the two is the same, save for touch screen and probably the accelerometer stuff.

...did you just quote yourself for no reason?

#41 Edited by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Obviously the point is that I'm awesome

Flagged for too much awesome.

#42 Edited by Ballroompirate (25872 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#43 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18589 posts) -

Because indies are about all the Vita has at this point.

#44 Posted by charizard1605 (82622 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605 said:

Of what, tho :p

#45 Posted by Zen_Light (2143 posts) -

New gen fucking sucks I repeat fucking sucks when 3DS and Vita are fucking main topics of discussion on fucking System Wars.

#46 Edited by SakusEnvoy (4737 posts) -

I would say the point of the 3DS having better third party support than the Vita is debatable, though I know that would trigger a System Wars-esque library comparison. The 3DS has received some high profile 3rd party exclusives, but the Vita seems to receives a larger number of high quality 3rd party games, including obviously indies.

On Metacritic, the 3DS has 41 games scoring AA (80) and above, while the Vita has 48 games scoring AA and above. Of those 48 games, 3rd parties represent a larger proportion of games on the Vita than they do for the 3DS. If the question is not "which has better exclusive games", but rather which has stronger 3rd party support, especially indie support, it appears to lean in the direction of the Vita. The 3DS is a strongly Nintendo console, even if it has better third party support than Nintendo's home consoles.

That can be credited, as mentioned before in this thread, less to the Vita's popularity and more to the ease of which software can be ported to it.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
#47 Edited by Shadowchronicle (26969 posts) -

It has nothing to do with mod conspiracy. It's just he's always finding ways to say "PSN Sales, Steam Sale what?" "PSN Sales are far superior to Steam Sales" "A Console is better than a pc". Then he makes a thread about vita and indies and for the most part: 3DS is pretty even in that part too. Indies is just the one thing the vita actually has (no surprise there since you see plenty of that anyways).

What's next? Paying for PSN+ versus not paying for steam makes Sony a better company?

#48 Edited by charizard1605 (82622 posts) -

Alright, this 'question' has been answered, and the TC has had five hours to actually come up with a point for this thread to exist, it's now pointless trolling. There is none, so I'm locking it right about now.