How come gamers brag about exclusive titles like it's a good thing?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

outatime557

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 outatime557
Member since 2011 • 266 Posts
Why the hell would you care if the game is only for the system(s) you own? Does that make the game more fun?
UC3Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UC3Drake
Member since 2010 • 453 Posts

Its called system wars for a reason.....

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
Read the board title. There's your answer.
outatime557

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 outatime557
Member since 2011 • 266 Posts
No, I understand why Sony and Microsoft would make a point out of having exclusive titles for their systems, but what the gamers get out of this I don't get.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts
Exclusivity doesn't make a game better, but the better games are all exclusive.
UC3Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UC3Drake
Member since 2010 • 453 Posts

Bragging rights unfortunately.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts
People want to justify their purchase of said console. Bragging about exclusive games helps them do that.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Why the hell would you care if the game is only for the system(s) you own? Does that make the game more fun?outatime557
Yes. A PC exclusive game made with PC in mind is gonna play better than a multi-platform game. See the downgrade from Deus Ex to Deus Ex 2.
xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

Don't understand all that but the best games i played this gen happened to be Uncharted 2, MGS4 and Denon Souls. All are exclusives. Its not about exclusives or multiplats its about how great the experience is for the gamer.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Because exclusive games are what set platforms different from one another. If every game was multiplat there wouldnt be much incentive to buy one platform over another

Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
Exclusivity doesn't make a game better, but the better games are all exclusive.Pug-Nasty
There's the right answer. Just because a game is exclusive doesn't somehow automatically make it "better," but really good games DO tend to be exclusive. There are a lot of good multi-plat titles too, but a lot of them don't stand out when compared to those really special exclusive games.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

Exclusives are a good thing, otherwise what would be the point of owning different consoles?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#13 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts
Why the hell would you care if the game is only for the system(s) you own? Does that make the game more fun?outatime557
Well said. Sad truth is for some people it might.
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

Differentiates platforms from one another, gives a lot of incentive to buy the console with the most exclusives your interested in.

Plus how boring would it be if we just had 3 consoles that all played multiplats.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#16 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts
[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]Exclusivity doesn't make a game better, but the better games are all exclusive.Chojuto
There's the right answer. Just because a game is exclusive doesn't somehow automatically make it "better," but really good games DO tend to be exclusive. There are a lot of good multi-plat titles too, but a lot of them don't stand out when compared to those really special exclusive games.

Disagree. It's all subjective. My best experiences this gen were Batman AA, Fallout 3, Oblivion as well as MGS4, Halo 3.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
[QUOTE="Chojuto"][QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]Exclusivity doesn't make a game better, but the better games are all exclusive.cainetao11

Disagree. It's all subjective. My best experiences this gen were Batman AA, Fallout 3, Oblivion as well as MGS4, Halo 3.

RDR and ME2 were considered the best games of 2010 and they were multi-plats.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
How are exclusives not a good thing? They are something that ONLY said platform has and ONLY the users that own them get to play. Exclusives are the biggest weapon against the competition.
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Exclusives are a good thing, otherwise what would be the point of owning different consoles?

tagyhag

Bragging rights??

:P

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hahadouken
No, I understand why Sony and Microsoft would make a point out of having exclusive titles for their systems, but what the gamers get out of this I don't get.outatime557
They get to play these games... which is the whole point of gaming.
fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

It's what makes the hardware worth buying.

Laxer04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Laxer04
Member since 2008 • 1256 Posts

tagyhag

a good thing for who? the console manufacturers or the consumer?

Avatar image for FollowY0urBliss
FollowY0urBliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FollowY0urBliss
Member since 2010 • 320 Posts

MOST (logical) like exclusives because they USUALLY are better than multiplat games. Exclusive games have the benefit of being developed for ONE platform. Therefor the dev exploits all the unique qalities that a specific platform has to offer. This cant be done with a multiplat.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
because fanboys love to brag about something only they have.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hahadouken

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]

Laxer04

Both. It's a benefit for the consumer because it's a huge incentive for owning the platform.
gandaf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gandaf007
Member since 2009 • 892 Posts

Exclusive titles mean competition and ultimately, I think competition is good for developers, publishers and gamers.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11254 Posts
[QUOTE="cainetao11"][QUOTE="Chojuto"] There's the right answer. Just because a game is exclusive doesn't somehow automatically make it "better," but really good games DO tend to be exclusive. There are a lot of good multi-plat titles too, but a lot of them don't stand out when compared to those really special exclusive games.GeneralShowzer

Yet MGS4 and UC2 were the best games of 2008 and 2009 and they were exclusives ;)
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Because otherwise fanboys would have to admit that the PS3 and the Xbox are basically the same system under the hood, with almost exactly the same performance. Something the rest of us already know.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pug-Nasty
[QUOTE="cainetao11"][QUOTE="Chojuto"] There's the right answer. Just because a game is exclusive doesn't somehow automatically make it "better," but really good games DO tend to be exclusive. There are a lot of good multi-plat titles too, but a lot of them don't stand out when compared to those really special exclusive games.GeneralShowzer

I enjoyed Heavy Rain, GoW III, and even ModNation racers more than RDR. RDR wasn't even interesting enough to support itself through one playthrough.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

No, I understand why Sony and Microsoft would make a point out of having exclusive titles for their systems, but what the gamers get out of this I don't get.outatime557

more quality games? Do you really think that Uncharted 2 would've been the same if it had been made for PS3, and 360? It's easier to focus on one console, and developing exclusive games has it's ups, like having support from Sony/Microsoft themselves. It's even worse if it's PS3, 360, and Wii, not to mention PS3, 360, Wii, and PC. A lot of games being developed for all platforms usually are worse than they would have been on an exclusive platform whether it be focus, team size, experience, money, or limitations (problem PC gamers face because of console limitations).

DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

It's how poor people try to make themselves feel better about not being able to afford owning every console available. :)

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

First of all, TC, I guess SW is the wrong place for you.

Anyway, exclusives, especially from a first party IP, tend to have an overall higher quality. Sure there are a lot of crap exclusives, Wii collects them as shovelware, but the average score of first party IPs is usually a lot higher than the average score of the entire library of the same system

sinpkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sinpkr
Member since 2010 • 1255 Posts

its cause it makes u more 1337

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Because exclusive games get an E in front of their A rating which makes it badass.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#36 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

Exclusivity doesn't make a game better, but the better games are all exclusive.Pug-Nasty

that is an opinion but not mine.

for one thing you said "all" the better games -some of the better games are exclusive but I have disagree that all are exclusive.

in fact I will go so far as to say that I believe most of them are NOT exclusive to any one system.

I also don't believe there is such a thing as console exclusives.

if a game is available on the PC and one of the consoles it can not be considered to be any kind of exclusive

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

Most gamers don't. The vast majority of my buddies play online shooters on 360 or my female friends play the Wii. If at any time I asked them what do you think of Demon Souls? They would most likely respond: What the !@#* is that?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheEroica
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts
not true.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheEroica
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts
[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="cainetao11"] Disagree. It's all subjective. My best experiences this gen were Batman AA, Fallout 3, Oblivion as well as MGS4, Halo 3.

I enjoyed Heavy Rain, GoW III, and even ModNation racers more than RDR. RDR wasn't even interesting enough to support itself through one playthrough.

Wha???? how?? really?!?!?! RDR was fantastic, train to graveyard...
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pug-Nasty

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]Exclusivity doesn't make a game better, but the better games are all exclusive.iowastate

that is an opinion but not mine.

for one thing you said "all" the better games -some of the better games are exclusive but I have disagree that all are exclusive.

in fact I will go so far as to say that I believe most of them are NOT exclusive to any one system.

I also don't believe there is such a thing as console exclusives.

if a game is available on the PC and one of the consoles it can not be considered to be any kind of exclusive

I agree in that exclusive means found on one gaming platform. The games I've enjoyed most this gen have been exclusives, but I haven't enjoyed all the exclusives. To be honest, I could have probably got by so far in the gen with just Sony's first party efforts. I should have really specified first party, rather than exclusive. A game can be exclusive but not produced by the hardware manufacturer, and the hardware manufacturer has more to gain by making the best game they can.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts
[QUOTE="Laxer04"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]

Hahadouken

Both. It's a benefit for the consumer because it's a huge incentive for owning the platform.

That's pretty much it right there. Exclusives are usually top quality games too.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pug-Nasty

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] RDR and ME2 were considered the best games of 2010 and they were multi-plats.TheEroica

Wha???? how?? really?!?!?! RDR was fantastic, train to graveyard...

I enjoyed it, but got bored half to two-thirds the way through. I couldn't bring myself to replay it, and...

[spoiler] playing on as Jack was more than I could bear. [/spoiler]

I played through GoW III about six times, and will likely play it again.

Heavy Rain I only played once, mostly because I didn't want to spoil the game by making different choices. I felt that the ending I got, not a good one, was part of what made the game so awesome.

And, ModNation Racers is just an ongoing delight.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Depending on the platform, namely PC, the exclusivity of a title can greatly impact the experience.

I'm not just talking about technical performance, games are fundamentally designed differently on PC than consoles. Consoles tend to exaggerate visuals and get into your face about it, because they are viewed on the other side of the room on a TV. Where as PC is about finer details, because you are positioned close enough to a high pixel density screen to notice them. There is the difference in memory, with Crysis 2 as a example of a open environment game being converted to streaming; for console compatibility. There is also the difference in controls, impacting how we interact with a game and what options are available,

There is more to a game being PC exclusive than it just being exclusive, it can completely change how a game looks and feels to play.

Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

Because they're trying to brag about the one (1) platform their parents bought them for christmas ;)

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts
Xbox 360 gamer: "I have 20 games to play this year, and 2 of them are built with my system's strengths in mind!" PS3 gamer: "I have 40 games to play this year, and 20 of them are built with my system's strengths in mind!" Which one seems better?
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
better quality (production values)
NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

If there was no exclusives...what would be the reason to buy the wii, ps3, or xbox?

There would be a monopoly in the gaming industry and charge whatever the heck they want for the one console.

I don't brag about exclusives, but I get the console where the exclusives seem the most fun for me. Which is why I own a ps3 because GT5, 3D Dot, Motorstorm, Modnation, LPB all gave me great experiences where I wouldn't find on any other console. Which what makes each console unique.

The reason I got a Wii is because of Metroid Prime, Super Smash, and the New Super Mario Bros. Why? Because they offered me a great experience on the Wii that I can't find on the PS3 or 360.

Same goes for owning a 360 console. Sad to say though I haven't had enough exclusive games to try other than Halo for me to properly judge the 360.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#48 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts
Good point - the SNES - and DC - PSX and those were fun but. without exclusives what reason would we have for anything other than a PC? which really is what I use most of the time now. MOST of the best games are also available on PC and the best versions IMO are on the computer
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

While i'm agree that people tend to overreact about exclusives, they are also the reason you buy and keep a console, so yes, exclusives are important.