How can PSP get good hardware sales and have such a horrible software sale

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 chansaet
Member since 2003 • 6281 Posts

The PSP has over 30 million users. Yet on weekly bases its software sales has been horrible (Except last week due to Monstar hunter but this is by no means typical of PSP software sales). What are people doing with there PSP's? I have a PSP and I have a few games for it. I have GOW, CC:FF VII, Burnout, Daxter, and GTA: VCS.

Mamba_Negra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Mamba_Negra
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

one word: PIRATES

here where i live most of my friend play PSP games for free baby!!!  sony watchout and cut those prices!

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#3 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Probably the same reason the Wii doesn't sell much software.
chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chansaet
Member since 2003 • 6281 Posts

Mamba_Negra

But I hear DS is just as easy to pirate as the PSP and yet it's sales are always the most (Yes WW it beats X360 and wii everyweek).

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

Homesrfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Homesrfan
Member since 2006 • 5192 Posts
[QUOTE="Mamba_Negra"]

chansaet

But I hear DS is just as easy to pirate as the PSP and yet it's sales are always the most (Yes WW it beats X360 and wii everyweek).

Not it's not. You have to buy a cart usually online. With the PSP, I think you just download custom firmware and an emulating program.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 st1ka
[QUOTE="Mamba_Negra"]

chansaet

i dont think you realize just HOW easy to pirate the PSP it is, and lets leace it as that i dont want to get moded

girlpowerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 girlpowerz
Member since 2008 • 492 Posts
That's a good question actually.
travt-down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 travt-down
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts

Probably the same reason the Wii doesn't sell much software.vashkey

The Wii sells just slightly less software than the 360.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 st1ka

[QUOTE="vashkey"]Probably the same reason the Wii doesn't sell much software.travt-down

and yet there is a diference of 17 million 360s to 22 million wiis

NinjaFoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NinjaFoot
Member since 2004 • 932 Posts
Why do analysts always cite the abysmal software tie in rate of the Wii compared to the 360 then?
the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts

all cows are either pirates or people who don't care about games and use the PSP as a crappy cheap Ipod substitute

gamers buy the DS instead.

Mamba_Negra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mamba_Negra
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

all cows are either pirates or people who don't care about games and use the PSP as a crappy cheap Ipod substitute

the_h_bomb

people just love to play for free, thats a natural part of us, humans.

Kirlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kirlok
Member since 2008 • 2061 Posts

If people can get to play games for free without paying any money to do it(psp) then it will have low software sales. Unlike the DS you need some kind of add-on which costs moneyEPaul

an addon?

what do you mean?

travt-down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 travt-down
This thread needs a lock ASAP...
travt-down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 travt-down

Why do analysts always cite the abysmal software tie in rate of the Wii compared to the 360 then?NinjaFoot

Because they dont.

travt-down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 travt-down
[QUOTE="travt-down"]

[QUOTE="vashkey"]Probably the same reason the Wii doesn't sell much software.st1ka

Yet the large number of casual owners of the Wii that buy hardly any games more than offset that.

And lets watch the pirating talk, there has already been a deleted post and a likely suspension....

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

Because lots of people buy it for multimedia.

Probably the same reason the Wii doesn't sell much software.vashkey

lolwut?

The Wii sells almost the same as the 360 in NA and that's with a smaller usebase. With Japan I'm sure it's winning worldwide.

NinjaFoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NinjaFoot
Member since 2004 • 932 Posts

[QUOTE="NinjaFoot"] Why do analysts always cite the abysmal software tie in rate of the Wii compared to the 360 then?travt-down

Because they dont.

Wow...Your debating skills are formidable. /sarcasm off

travt-down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 travt-down
[QUOTE="travt-down"]

[QUOTE="NinjaFoot"] Why do analysts always cite the abysmal software tie in rate of the Wii compared to the 360 then?NinjaFoot

Because they dont.

Wow...Your debating skills are formidable. /sarcasm off

Pulling things out of thin air and not backing them up doesnt set up a good debate.

The Wii has a smaller userbase in NA than the 360 yet is neck and neck in software sales on average. Both consoles have moved approx 15 million software units since the beginning of the year. In case you were curious, the PS3 has moved a bit over 6 million.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts

Pirates.

Or maybe because lots of people buy it to listen to music and watch videos instead of playing games.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

the_h_bomb
Ummm no but nice try. Actually real gamers don't pirate and they buy both the DS and PSP.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

*massive pictures of pirates*

st1ka

:lol: someone nailed it right on the head

You should really be asking the question of the ps3 really because thats alot more harder to pirate then the pirate station portable.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="travt-down"]

[QUOTE="vashkey"]Probably the same reason the Wii doesn't sell much software.st1ka

world wide i think the wii actually might sell more. we know that the 360 doesn't sell squat in japan.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6611 Posts
Easy question, the psp is a pirate machine. Nobody buys the games they just download it for free wich sucks.
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
Its because once you mod your PSP, it turns into a great console allowing you to go to PSX games too .
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
Easy question, the psp is a pirate machine. Nobody buys the games they just download it for free wich sucks.p3anut
Yup its amzing that sony is doing nothing to stop this piracy my brother downlaoded god of war: COO and Final fantasy Crisis core on day one of there US releases and they run just like if he had bought it from gamestop.
r_gam3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 r_gam3
Member since 2008 • 1185 Posts
cos psp owners sell psp on ebay, buy a DS and then buy games. Thats why.
Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts
[QUOTE="Mamba_Negra"]

chansaet

Much easier to pirate DS games, i don't think piracy is killing software sales for the PSP.

TepicPlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TepicPlug
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts

I won't pirate games on any platform (I was taught that stealing is wrong) but almost everybody I know with a PSP does. It's a great shame because the PSP is a great piece of kit and the software deserves support.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

the_h_bomb

Well, I guess that makes me the exception then. I own a PSP, have gone out and bought all of my PSP games, and I'm a gamer who doesn't own a DS. ;)

Frexie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Frexie
Member since 2007 • 895 Posts

Many reasons:

1. Much of PSP's significant userbase consists of careless pirates. This is by far the most damaging point and people don't understand how big the pirating scene on PSP is. Half of the people on GameSpot PSP/Playstation Underground use Custom Firmware.
  2. In correlation to that, developers/publishers are running out of reasons to develop original games for PSP. So obviously the library of games is looking worse.
  3. The mentality "why buy a game on PSP if chances are it will release on PS2 months later?"
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

the_h_bomb

Or because 50% of DS owners are casuals who have no idea how to pirate software? Yes.

DS actually looks easier to pirate for, I knew someone on holiday who had a cart and all they did was torrent the game. PSP you have to do custom firmware and downgrade it and everything.

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts

Well, I guess that makes me the exception then. I own a PSP, have gone out and bought all of my PSP games, and I'm a gamer who doesn't own a DS. ;)

Lionheart08

If you weren't the exception don't you think that PSP's software sales would be better?

Or because 50% of DS owners are casuals who have no idea how to pirate software? Yes.

DS actually looks easier to pirate for, I knew someone on holiday who had a cart and all they did was torrent the game. PSP you have to do custom firmware and downgrade it and everything.

bobbetybob

50% of DS owners are casuals now? I wonder how you came to that conclusion. I'm guessing you didn't do any thorough research or take into account the strong sales of castlevania or new super mario brothers DS. I'm guessing that because you are a fanboy who's bitter that real gamers buy the DS

You also seem know an awful lot about piracy and you're a PSP fanboy. what a coincidence.....

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

Also, the PSP has many multimedia functions, making it a good multi-purpose device for people.

shadowcat2576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 shadowcat2576
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts

I want to explore another avenue, which one or two posters already touched on. The library itself (which is probably affected by that other issue that I won't mention) Now I don't have a psp, although I'm looking on ebay to find one at a price I like, and I know that there are some quality games out there for it. However, lets look at the upcoming titles. According to IGN, there are 21 psp games schedule to release between now and the end of Aug. 10 of those will also be on the ps2, as well as a few more that will be on the ds. Both DS and a lot of ps2 games are cheaper than their psp counterparts. That just doesn't leave a very strong lineup.

PSP sells well because it's a good system with many great games, but those great games are spaced out pretty far. Honestly, now that GOW and FF:CC are out, are psp fans really hyping anything else this year. This allowes for people (like myself) to buy a psp and slowly go about picking up older games we missed rather than buying the latest release, which leads to steady, but not strong sales for any one title.

Another thing I've noticed since I've started looking into getting my psp, is the general space devoted to it in stores. In the Walmarts and Targets I've been to,they only carry about 12 games and a few movies. This is considerably less spaace than is devoted to the other systems.