How can microsoft regain the trust of consumers with the xbox brand?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

I want to say first I am not your average uneducated idiot here on system wars. In fact, I was a xbox live member for 11 years and owned a 360 (4 of them) for 8 years.

Microsoft really shot themselves in the foot with their 2013 e3 presentation that was suppose to ride the wave of momentum from the xbox 360. We all know how that went. It convinced me and many of my friends to buy a ps4. I do not regret my decision. The playstation 4 is a better machine with better exclusives, IMO.

Looking at the troubles of xbox one:

Microsoft's exclusives have become long in the tooth. Halo, Gears, rareware games, are only the same developers in name. Halo's original and most talented developer left, Cliff left epic, Rare lost all of it's talent a decade ago.

Consumer trust may be a big issue. I know I went through 2 original xbox machines. (one had the thompson drive) I then went through every variation of the 360 because they kept breaking. The RROD and e74 errors counted up in the millions.

Microsoft does have one big thing going for them.. Xbox live is still the King as far as gaming network goes. Xbox live just seems to have most of the wrinkles ironed out while psn still has a few.

The Scorpion looks appealing but will not be cheap. $400-$600. How or what can microsoft do to convince new non xbox customers to buy the Scorpio?

Avatar image for SexPantherPanda
SexPantherPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SexPantherPanda
Member since 2008 • 120 Posts

I think the Scorpion will be $600 - $1000.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@SexPantherPanda said:

I think the Scorpion will be $600 - $1000.

Will look great next to my 10K$ rig and 800$ Neo.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

Wait do you mean rebuild trust with the small percentage of people in Internet forums who are unhappy that the xbox doesn't offer the level of parity and exclusive games to feed their hunger, or do you mean the majority that is quite happy with their purchase?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@gamevet77: Well for others of us, we don't have to rent BC (that thing that suddenly means nothing this gen but somehow if it's so meaningless Sony decided to charge for) and I like others make great use of it. All without no extra room taken up for free. I also can continue a game, as long as I have the specs, with the W10 OS on the go.

I enjoyed this with vita. You know that product Sony abandoned? I own it

So while here in bullshyte land, where hardware and games having to be exclusive is baby back ball bag cry baby bullshyte. But the others are happy we can play through W10 and Xbox and buy on ONE and carry over to another. Playing anywhere I am is a great place to play.

xbhonner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xbhonner
Member since 2015 • 891 Posts

they can bend over, and....

forget it.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@gamevet77: The Xbone Scorpio will not have exclusives, it's just an Xbone designed for 4K TV users.

Phil Spencer even clarified the Xbone Scorpio won't have exclusives, so that particular machine won't aid in gaining the majority consumer trust as it's a niche, higher end product.

The head of Xbox reiterated the Xbone Scorpio's purpose over and over, which is a high end Xbone for the 4K market (the main reason why it's in development).

Microsoft announced Project Scorpio,

a more powerful Xbox One,

at its E3 press conference. It supports 4K gaming, and Xbox head Phil Spencer said in an interview with Eurogamer that the console's full benefits can only be seen on a 4K TV.

"[If you own a 1080p TV] then you should buy [an Xbox One S], because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you," Spencer said. "Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see."

Spencer added that you can buy the Scorpio, though you would need to "buy a 4K TV to take advantage of the increased performance." Spencer also talked about how the most powerful console isn't always the one that "wins," noting theWii's strong sales last generation.

and

"I'm trying to be transparent with people about where we are in the design of Project Scorpio and what it was designed for. It was designed in order to enable these high-fidelity 4K experiences. So some of the existing games will actually run a little better if they're using dynamic scaling, but I wouldn't buy Scorpio to run your existing library of Xbox One games [better].”

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Xbox Brand just pumped out "Inside" a game that just got a 10/10 at ign.

You do the math OP... YOU DO SOME MATH!

WHERE'S PS4's 10/10's why isn't inside on PS4 where is it sony where the f is it.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

When did they lose the trust of the fans? Specs were clear on the Xbone so anyone expecting it to outperform the PS4 or gaming pcs are to blame for not doing research. They have done well with making the system more backwards compatible than sony has however both companies need to take notes from Nintendo as to what backwards compatible REALLY means. Nintendo needs to take notes on everything else from sony and Microsoft. If any company needs to regain our trust it's Nintendo and hopefully they will achieve this with the NX. 3ds is still great!

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

TC- "I am not your average uneducated idiot here on system wars."

TC- Calls the Scorpio the Xbox Scorpion.

Bwahahahahaha!!!

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#11 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

They are doing the only thing they can do. Releasing new hardware to play games better, and offer better deals with gaming by letting people play on both xbox and PC.

Xbone was a wreck.They did exactly what sony did with the ps3 and it's costing them. Sony released slimmer and more affordable ps3's and bounced back. Now MS is doing the same with the Xbox One S and scorpio. No more Kinect stuff costing $500 or more.

Time will tell if they can bounce back and tie Sony in terms of Market share. But it's going to be a tough uphill climb, especially when Sony is going to release a slim ps4 and the NEO most likely a year before Scorpio.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

I would imagine that selling 20 million consoles in 2 1/2 years, and the thriving XBL community would suggest that they don't have a problem with consumer trust..

And Lol at idiots who think Scorpio will cost more than $399.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@gamevet77: The Xbone Scorpio will not have exclusives, it's just an Xbone designed for 4K TV users.

Phil Spencer even clarified the Xbone Scorpio won't have exclusives, so that particular machine won't aid in gaining the majority consumer trust as it's a niche, higher end product.

the 4k thing isn't even true (and i have a a couple of 4ktvs myself) It has the power for 4k gaming (most likely at medium 30fps) but it's up to the devs. They can do 1080p 60fps on ultra if they want.

You don't need a 4k monitor to get the benefits of a GTX 1080 over a mid tier card.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#14 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Considering they are doing the best they have ever done then there obviously wasn't any trust issues.

Next topic.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheEroica  Moderator

@ProtossRushX: let's peel it back a few friend. Ps4 has a 10 under its belt too and it wasnt given off site.

That said...

I was feeling pretty burnt when I went to download inside today, only to realize it was an exclusive :/well, Limbo made the cross so I guess it's a waiting game.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kvally

@spicymeatball27: woo hoo!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

More than a methodically regurgitated trio of exclusives to build their branding.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I think Phil Spencer and Co. are doing/have done a great job restoring the Xbox brand after the XB1 launch fiasco under Mattrick.

They're back to 100% as far as I'm concerned.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

From what I've seen and experienced at Xbox Fanfest they already have. Fanfest at E3 this year was packed (three times as many people attended than they expected) and the Xbox execs really made an effort to listen to the fans. Fanfest lasted four days and everyday the Xbox top brass was there mingling and talking to the fans in person.

I think getting thumped this gen in the long run helped MS. It forced them to listen and implement things the fans wanted which they have done.

Cows here can naysay all they want but this E3 was basically a brand reboot for MS and I think it was a success. You'll always have the cows here that hate everything Xbox just because they prefer weeaboo games or the jaded former lems that are so butthurt they won't come back. But MS has pretty much done everything thing people asked to get back in the fans good graces. Some will call it desperation, so be it. Even if it is it's still good for the fans.

People complained about the mandatory Kinect. They dropped it. People complained about the ui they changed it. People complained about the size of the console they made a new smaller one. People asked for BC. They made it happen. People asked for one ecosystem they made that happen. People asked to get rid of the parity clause. They did.

I think one of the biggest strengths MS has is the Windows ecosystem and social aspect of Live. The new additions to the UI like arenas and clubs are cool.

Their next big push is co-op games with co-op multiplayer mechanics which is also good. Crackdown, Cuphead, Scalebound, Gears, Sea of Thieves and FH3 all have 2-4 player co-op and Windows crossplay.

You can't really changed some people's stereotypical perception of Xbox only being Gears/Forza/Halo overnight. For some reason Sony fans think flagship games are bad when it comes to Xbox but don't complain about Uncharted and God of War which is pretty much the same thing.

All in all the perfect storm seems to be shifting in their favor. The Scorpio announce trumped Neo and PSVR is looking like it will be a big fumble for Sony. I played it and talked to a lot of people trying it at E3 and outside of a few niche genres it seems it will be more of a burden on them than a boon.

Things won't change instantly but I definitely think the tides are starting to turn a bit.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

why isn't inside on PS4 where is it sony where the f is it.

That's a good question. I'm getting more and more tempted to get the crappy Xbone. I can honestly say I like the games that are not on the PS4 but are on the Xbone better than the games that are on the Ps4 but not Xbone. The superior multiplats still has the Ps4 a bit ahead for me and their future looks brighter gamewise but I am now beginning to be pushed over the edge into buying the Bone and going at least partial Dude Bro up in here. I hope you guys will accept me.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Give free shit

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@mark1974: It's a timed exclusive.

@ProtossRushX said:

Xbox Brand just pumped out "Inside" a game that just got a 10/10 at ign.

You do the math OP... YOU DO SOME MATH!

WHERE'S PS4's 10/10's why isn't inside on PS4 where is it sony where the f is it.

Limbo developer Playdead has revealed its upcoming game, Inside, which will be an Xbox One timed-exclusive.

Inside got an 8/10 here at Gamespot.com: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/inside-review/1900-6416458/

@ProtossRushX: let's peel it back a few friend. Ps4 has a 10 under its belt too and it wasnt given off site.

That said...

I was feeling pretty burnt when I went to download inside today, only to realize it was an (timed) exclusive :/well, Limbo made the cross so I guess it's a waiting game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-09-limbo-developer-playdead-reveals-xbox-one-exclusive-inside

It's a timed deal and will follow the Limbo trajectory.

I just removed the guess work as Playdead announced long ago it was a timed exclusive.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

There is nothing they can do. MS can only compete when Sony completely drops the ball like they did in 2006 and that is never happening again.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NathanDrakeSwag

@spicymeatball27 said:

Xbox is by FAR better then sony. They are launching a XB Slim with alot of extras in there for a GREAT price with 4k blu ray along with Scorpio being the most powerful console out there in 2017 or whenever. They given us FREE games with NO gold needed like Forza Horizon Fast & Furious edition. Witcher 2, Limbo, etc, etc.

Sonys games are AWFUL. They hide footage of ANY sort of gameplay like TLG with its UGLY graphics and GT Sport with AGAIN no footage at Sonys conference lol. GIMPED to hell & feels dated with key missing features. Anime games no one wants. QTE movies out the ass with no gameplay.(Ugh) NO coop games of its own so its the Lonelystation 4. GIMPED games like SF5/ GT Sport/ Drivedud/ Knack/ Borezone/ The Oder TLG etc

XB1 is the console to get with many exclusives like Recore/ Cuphead/ Gears 4/ FH3/ Dead Rising 4. MANY great games this Summer leading into the Fall. Woooo! That XB Slim is gonna be epic come August and its just the start. PS4 Step up ur game and fix ur shit controller lol

Recore, Cuphead, Gears 4, Horizon 3 and Dead Rising 4 are all multiplat.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidTy: much obliged. Crisis averted. :D

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Just start pumping out the games. They got the largest userbase now with xbox/pc to tap into which should drive better software sales. So I'd expect more console exclusives and third party support and timed exclusive deals.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Simple, they need to make good games you can't get on a other console. Thats it. They're running the same 3 things into the ground and the iterations they're putting out aren't staying fresh or even maintaining.

They're doing better for to me with state of decay 2 and sea of thieves coming, but they need to do more.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Just keep up releasing their "console exclusives" on PC and I am fine with them.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@ArisShadows said:

Just keep up releasing their "console exclusives" on PC and I am fine with them.

Wait..... If you're here, then who is @aigis?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@spicymeatball27 said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: Nothing to counter wat i said about the facts i just mentioned. U must really have buyers remorse huh LOL. Not one thing to say about ur GIMP games this holiday on ps4 which all feel LAST GEN according to many reports LOL. U keep on commenting makes u even more EXPOSED!! lololol. U to easy to make fun of lol. Oh yes its real

Of course Cows will have buyers remorse, the Scorpio will shed a lot of jealousy and meltdowns.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NathanDrakeSwag

@spicymeatball27 said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: Nothing to counter wat i said about the facts i just mentioned. U must really have buyers remorse huh LOL. Not one thing to say about ur GIMP games this holiday on ps4 which all feel LAST GEN according to many reports LOL. U keep on commenting makes u even more EXPOSED!! lololol. U to easy to make fun of lol. Oh yes its real

And Xbone still has no exclusives. You mad bro?

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#36 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ArisShadows said:

Wait..... If you're here, then who is @aigis?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@spicymeatball27 said:

Of course Cows will have buyers remorse, the Scorpio will shed a lot of jealousy and meltdowns.

Will have buyers remorse? They've been mega insecure and trying to justify their purchase all gen, Scorpio just absolutely fried their noodle and now they're on suicide watch. lol :P

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kvally

@NathanDrakeSwag: and the PSbore has no exclusives. You mad bro-ham?

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#39 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Since all games going forward are on Xbox and Windows 10 the 'no exclusives' argument is kind of a semantic system wars debate technicality. Since the meaning of exclusive has now changed, the rules of the forum should as well.

Maybe instead of exclusive we say 'excludes PS4' or something lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@kvally said:

Yeah PS4 doesn't have exclusive games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and,,,,oh wait!!!

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kvally

@davillain- said:
@kvally said:

Yeah PS4 doesn't have exclusive games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and,,,,oh wait!!!

At least you get it. You are one of the smarter posters here.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46273 Posts

For me MS has been regaining trust this gen:

• Dropped focus on Kinect
  • Focus on new IP (not just Gears/halo/forza over and over)
  • Focus on diversity (not just Gears/halo/forza over and over)
  • Is back to supporting PC gaming
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@kvally said:

At least you get it. You are one of the smarter posters here.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DaVillain  Moderator

As far as this thread goes, I seen MS is redeeming themselves ever since they finally ditch Kinect thus making the Xbox One console affordable to the people who was waiting for a price drop and Kinectless Xbox One console. I have been impress with some of their exclusive games like Master Chief Collection, Quantum Break, and most of all, Rare Replay which was my favorite X1 game to date and it still is. MS introduce BC but despite it's NOT 100% BC, it's something to add then nothing at all. Despite all I have said, they still need more to do however but making good progress and supporting PC gaming is definitely in the road to redemption.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

@davillain-: What was the last game that the developers of Horizon Zero Dawn made? Was it a good game?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator

@Guy_Brohski said:

@davillain-: What was the last game that the developers of Horizon Zero Dawn made? Was it a good game?

And what does Horizon: Zero Dawn have to do with this or what I said? Yes I am hype for it but what of it?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator

@Guy_Brohski: But what question are we talking about my little Padawan?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@kvally said:

I have fun here, I believe a handful of us do. I do not understand why you say things like this though. The console does have exclusives.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@mark1974 said:
@ProtossRushX said:

why isn't inside on PS4 where is it sony where the f is it.

That's a good question. I'm getting more and more tempted to get the crappy Xbone. I can honestly say I like the games that are not on the PS4 but are on the Xbone better than the games that are on the Ps4 but not Xbone. The superior multiplats still has the Ps4 a bit ahead for me and their future looks brighter gamewise but I am now beginning to be pushed over the edge into buying the Bone and going at least partial Dude Bro up in here. I hope you guys will accept me.

I think it's becoming less "Dude Bro" up in here actually... thank goodness.