How big a deal breaker is Halo Infinite's visuals?

• 103 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Edited By uninspiredcup

Poll How big a deal breaker is Halo Infinite's visuals? (74 votes)

I ain't buying it now 23%
Pretty bad, but i'll live 24%
Not that big a deal 38%
Looks good to me 15%
No Caption Provided

Hello, are the visuals that big a deal to you?

As an outsider of the franchise, looking in, seeing all the reaction, it seemed kind of overblown to me. Could it look better? Sure. But it still looked nice aesthetically.

Then, thinking about it for more than 20 seconds, I realized you'd be paying about £600 - £700 roughly, then, I saw it was running on a PC, which made things worse, and that assholes next gen would be trying to raise prices.

That's not good, is it?

• 
rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#51 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Deal breaker? Nope.

Makes you wanna rush and buy a Series X? Nope but at least there were ms first party announcements for that.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Graphics aren't the only problem. It pretty much plays like any Halo game you've come to know. Might be forgotten after just a few months.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#53 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I think XBOTS were hoping for something to justify them getting one over on PS5 fanboys but what they got was something PS5 fanboys could use against them instead. It did look pretty bad though and after all the hype and build up from the Youtube shills throughout that XBOX show I cant blame XBOTS for expecting more.

It failed to show off any advantage of next gen thats for sure but ultimately I think Halo fans will like what they saw as it just looked like more classic Halo.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Thing is, people were so blinded by hype back in the day that they didn't notice Halo 3 really wasn't making the 360 sweat. The games never looked bad, but 4 was the only one that I would call a graphical showcase.

If Infinite plays well, I won't mind that it isn't pushing the hardware to it's limits. It's a launch title, and cross gen for that matter.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#55 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@judaspete: Halo 4 looked actually great for the time it was released. Too bad I didn't care too much for the actual game but the visual upgrade was undeniable.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Graphics are kinda a big deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

I mean, visuals should never be a dealbreaker.

That being said, the game looks like garbage and is an embarrassment for the XSX and MS in general. Basically, MS has shown us what to expect from Gamepass. In other words, crappy quality. You get what you pay for, I suppose.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Not at all a dealbreaker for me. Sure they could look better and perhaps they will if not at launch then maybe later on. I still think that it doesn’t look THAT bad as of now and still very much look forward to getting both an Xbox Series X and Halo: Infinite at launch.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Visuals are rubbish, no denying that. But gameplay is more important to me and it looked like it could be fun. I actually like the grappling hook as it appears it will add to movement and also allow you to pull enemies towards you for melee. Then there's todays announcements that Brutes can throw Grunts at you which is both funny and interesting. Interesting because enemies can also switch weapons which potentially makes the combat more challenging due to better AI.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 680 Posts

It looks like an early game for current gen consoles. I think it was primarily designed for them as well. Its not a deal breaker to me, but it's not a good title to showcase next generation either.

Honestly when i was watching the reveal all i could think of was: this game is designed to also run well on xbox one s

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#61 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

We will have to see what the gameplay is like.

Truth be told, the visuals I don't care about. Playing Halo Reach and Halo 3 has me realizing the Halo formula is dated as hell, and needs some major overhaul.

I haven't played the most recent Halo, though, so if that made some changes then I might be up for it.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

In hindsight, not a big deal. Even if I get a 3080 Ti, if the game looks incredible but plays awful, that's a dealbreaker.

If Infinite plays good, I might still pick it up.

Only console elitists hype graphics up, always battling that 4k/60 FPS bullshit.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

It really isn't a deal breaker for me. Halo 5 might look better but I had no interest at all. I am already liking what I am seeing of this new game, so I'm probably in as long as the multiplayer ends up as good as I believe it will.

The presentation had "campaign as an afterthought" written all over it, and I'm more than ok with that. Halo is multiplayer focused, and I'm glad to see them take it back to it's roots since in my opinion things were starting to get away from them. People want more of what they love... if it aint broke don't fix it... or in this case we broke it, so let's go back and fix it. Either way it looks like they learned from their mistakes but I guess only time will tell for sure.

I'll probably pick this game up day one with my new launch XSX... or perhaps just get gamepass and call it a day. Probably both.. lol

I'm actually ok with the idea of the game as a service.. I mean, if they continue to support the game and all.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#64 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

We will have to see what the gameplay is like.

Truth be told, the visuals I don't care about. Playing Halo Reach and Halo 3 has me realizing the Halo formula is dated as hell, and needs some major overhaul.

I haven't played the most recent Halo, though, so if that made some changes then I might be up for it.

I found that out while playing Halo 2. They simply couldn't make another Halo game. It would be interesting to see how they balance the boredom of open world with the Halo formula. Not an easy task.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think the issue is more what this caliber says about the rest of the game. Half-assed uninspired assets, textures, and some bs around every corner about how it's being developed and "xsx being the primary platform" blah blah leaves a funny taste in one's mouth

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

How pathetic does this game look like compared to RDR2? Like seriously. One thing i just noticed is that the grass and trees are completely static in Infinite 🤢

Will RT make the trees move? 🤣

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Artful use of ray tracing and other advanced lighting techniques could still give HI's visual appeal an enormous boost on XSX, when they eventually arrive, but ideally that would have been at launch. Wait and see, I guess. Bit of a shame when it's a title which could really have helped push XSX early on.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#68 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I'm not gonna lie and say it ain't a bummer, cuz it definitely is, but I'll almost definitely still play it. Only Halo I really didn't enjoy was 5, so as long as it's a step back up from that then I'll be happy.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

First one to respond to an Xbox thread is always the most butthurt. Oh hai Pedro

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mrbojangles25

@hardwenzen: I always find it funny how freaking insane the Rockstar engines look once modded. Really makes you realize how much consoles are holding us back.

And damn, I didn't even notice the trees/foliage in Halo Infinite but you're right....static. WTF? In this day and age?

Going to give them a huuuuuuuuuuge benefit of the doubt here just because I find it really hard to believe a professional game studio owned by MS and with a large budget and staff would make something so grotesque.

I know I said earlier I don't really care how it looks and I am more concerned about gameplay, but there's a limit; there's a limit!

The Witcher 3 wasn't the best looking game--it was pretty good, though!-- but the first technical thing that caught my eye (and ears) was the wind and trees. I mean look and listen to this. Such good atmosphere!

Loading Video...

Little things like this matter, and when absent they are noticed.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Deal Maker is more like it. :P

With mooaar than 12TF's of pure powah, me and billions of others are so freakin pumped for the game we're bustin. :D

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@mrbojangles25: the one thing I will say is TW3 animations are too extreme. It's like a constant gale force effect. But I agree - it's huge for the atmosphere in the game and inexcusable for Halo I to skip such details. Again, I think there are too many signs this game is undercooked. The thing is - did they ever need more time? It's been a while. Or do they need inspiration and motivation to do more than slop another one onto the plate for the consumer

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#73 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

I never bought Halo for the graphics. But something about this doesn't feel right. Like it's being rushed.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

To all the people saying it looks good. This is what they promised:

Loading Video...

And this is what they (are going to) deliver:

Loading Video...

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2065 Posts

Not a deal breaker, and thankfully gamepass makes it easy to dip your toe and get a taste before committing, I will however say so far for me there is literally nothing coming in either console launch window that screams "BUY THIS CONSOLE NOW".

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#76 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

It was never a deal breaker to me, it’s Halo. I was always going to day one it, and I was gonna play it on PC anyway.

That said I’m building a new PC this year, and lol this game will be such a waste of that PC

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@hardwenzen: Which console game were you playing in 2013 at 4k 60fps? Halo's artstyle was never about photorealism nor was it ever it's goal. I expect the graphics will be improved over the clip we saw that was from January, but it immediately looked fun....and Halo's strength has always been mp, which not a single Sony game seems to be willing to even attempt.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

I forget which streamer did it but someone posted it with Dynamic Adjustment on and it looks way better. That said, as an XBox person since the 1st console, I am not a Halo fan (played 1 and finished it but not my type of game).

If they release it and the graphics still look this bad then it is a fail for the dev team, I do not think this one game represents what the console can do. The same way that GTA5 on the PS5 will not represent what the PS5 can do

edit: found the video with the gamma correction the link is from the time it starts (still is not "awesome" but it is better)

Halo Infinite with Dynamic Adjustment

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks: The promiss video looked so damn awesome. This is the reason why i was excited for a new Halo game, even tho, i'm halo'd out for a long time at this point. But this trailer had such a pleasing art direction that it made me hyped for it, and it was even in my most anticipated titles. The amount of failure 343i has produced here is on the Andromeda levels.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 hardwenzen

@sealionact said:

@hardwenzen: Which console game were you playing in 2013 at 4k 60fps? Halo's artstyle was never about photorealism nor was it ever it's goal. I expect the graphics will be improved over the clip we saw that was from January, but it immediately looked fun....and Halo's strength has always been mp, which not a single Sony game seems to be willing to even attempt.

2013 btw, and this is what i was playing.

343i is a mess. I don't know if its really the dev itself or the higher ups at MS that fucks em over, but holy shit.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7162 Posts

@i_own_u_4ever said:

343 has already Said Halo Infinite is a 10 year plan and they plan to modify it and continue to polish the graphics more and more. The best thing about Halo Infinite is it's back to being more like Halo Combat Evolved and this is a great thing.

Oh by the way the game play trailer from last week was an older build and they haven't added the final graphics touches to it. Oh yeah also Ray Tracing is still incoming.

so its going to launch as a beta? good launch game. the launch is in 4 months how much can they get done?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@hardwenzen: Showing select scripted gifs of bf4 at 780-900p isn't a game at 4k 60fps though is it?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By hardwenzen

@sealionact said:

@hardwenzen: Showing select scripted gifs of bf4 at 780-900p isn't a game at 4k 60fps though is it?

You know damn well how BF4 looks like. It looks better than Infinite, vegetation isn't static like we were in 2001, and there's actual destruction. 4k was not a priority then or now (for gaming that is). MS/SONY pushes it for sales purposes but in reality barely anybody waste frames to play in 4k. And i played BF4 at way over 60fps IN 2013.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

MS have too much faith in 343 they had 2 chances and took the series backwards in the story department. I'm hoping the rumours of it being a 6 month old build are true or its getting delayed they need to get this right.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I probably wasn't going to play it anyway, but I was taken aback at how ugly it looked. It also made me reminisce the days when the franchise was still good, and how the unveiling of a new game was a huge event.

Loading Video...

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#86 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I'll just play it on the X1 with Gamepass. During the conference, I honestly thought they were showing X1X footage.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Even though the graphics are bad looking , I believe lems will have fun playing the game, Even if it does look like a xb360 game

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#88  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

I probably wasn't going to play it anyway, but I was taken aback at how ugly it looked. It also made me reminisce the days when the franchise was still good, and how the unveiling of a new game was a huge event.

Loading Video...

Was that in-engine and not bullshit? If so, very impressive.

Does the robot lady still dress like a pole dancer, or is she dead?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

Loading Video...

I believe it was in-engine, but the actual scene in the game looked a lot worse. Bungie was the master of hype though.

I think she still is, but now is human sized and plays for the bad guys' team. I liked it more when she was a glorified GPS.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#90 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@hardwenzen:

Do people seriously not buy a game just because they don't like the graphics? Seems kinda shallow to me.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By hardwenzen

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@hardwenzen:

Do people seriously not buy a game just because they don't like the graphics? Seems kinda shallow to me.

Personally? From a game with such a huge budget, i expect both. This is even more true when not only is this the biggest MS franchise, but also one running on a 12tflops system. There is no way it should be anywhere near these crap visuals.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mrbojangles25

@pc_rocks said:

And this is what they (are going to) deliver:

Loading Video...

You know it actually doesn't look that bad in motion.

Not saying it's spectacular or anything, but based on the way people have been reacting and the cherry-picked screenshots, I was under the impression it was a real turd (I had only read about it and seen screenshots, didn't actually see any videos until now).

It's not. I think it is acceptable. Now whether or not "acceptable" is, well....acceptable from a studio like 343 with the backing of MS, not sure if it is.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 jg4xchamp

@mrbojangles25 said:

You know it actually doesn't look that bad in motion.

Not saying it's spectacular or anything, but based on the way people have been reacting and the cherry-picked screenshots, I was under the impression it was a real turd (I had only read about it and seen screenshots, didn't actually see any videos until now).

It's not. I think it is acceptable. Now whether or not "acceptable" is, well....acceptable from a studio like 343 with the backing of MS, not sure if it is.

Their previous game Halo 5 also ran locked 60 frames, not the usual fake console 60 frames attempts other games have had. So while the graphics are hella potato, at the least you know the performance is going to be rock solid. Polish is suspect with this studio tho.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 jg4xchamp
@uninspiredcup said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

Loading Video...

In-engine bullshit. The game never came close to looking that good. The system wars threads dunking on Halo 3's graphics and its jaggies were dime a dozen during that hype cycle.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

I bet Halo Infinite will be the best game for either XSX or PS5 for at least the first year. Any takers?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

The graphics are extremely underwhelming for supposed "next-gen", but that's not even what I care about in this instance; I just never enjoyed Halo games all that much.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

I have owned all xboxes, but I never liked Halo. But focusing on graphics alone, I think that Far Cry 5 on the Xbox One X looks better than Halo Infinite.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@BlackShirt20 said:

I bet Halo Infinite will be the best game for either XSX or PS5 for at least the first year. Any takers?

How are you going to come to the conclusion of best game? Meta score?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

@BlackShirt20 said:

That's a suckers bet if there ever was one and someone would have to be crazy to take you up on it. :P

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#100  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@fedor said:
@BlackShirt20 said:

How are you going to come to the conclusion of best game? Meta score?

Oooo I hope not. Metacritic is where scores go to die.

It would be more believable if 'that's how I feel' was the reason.

Gonna be Demon's Souls Remake for me, most likely.