how are ps3 trophies similar and different to xbox achievments

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts

i was wondering. i guess that there are more games with achievments on 360 than ps3 cos its new to the ps3. i doubt it will catch on on ps3 if they are different to the 360.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts
Well for one, 100% of 360 games have achievements.
njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts
well in trophies you have a level and in achievements you have a number.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
THey are the exact same. Also sony said they will make them mandotory and devs are already seeing that gamers want them. Since upcoming game have them. I think its safe to say they are staying.
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Trophies increase your level, Achievments add to a running total

They both pop up when you get them in game and make you feel all fuzzy inside :roll:

njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts

Trophies increase your level, Achievments add to a running total

They both pop up when you get them in game and make you feel all fuzzy inside :roll:

Couth_

this be true 

aflakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aflakian
Member since 2008 • 1557 Posts

Yep, trophies are broken down into four categories: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum.
The trophy you receive generally applies to the level of the task's difficulty (basically, a really high achievement points task would equal a gold).
Platinum's are rewarded to players who get all the trophies available in a game.
Your trophies are then saved on your account profile for other users to see.
Getting trophies also applies a sort of "experience gained" as you unlock them.
As you gain experience, you also "level up" so to speak.
Trophies will be a standard addition to all PS3 games starting in 2009.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

I heard that once Home is out that the trophies will be in 3D or something In like a special trophy room of your house.

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts
In my opinion, trophies are much better. First off, they increase your level rather than just add to a running total... not a big deal, but still is nice. Second, once home comes out, trophies will add to many unlockables for your charater, home, will be on display in your home, and a little more. And the best reason why they are better than achievements (again, this is IMO), is because they are split into 4 different types. When I see a semi-high to high gamerscore, I think they must play a lot of games and just get a bunch of the easy achievements. But when I see that a PSN user has multiple gold trophies, I know they're pretty good, but when I see that they have a platinum trophy... then I know that they are really, really good, because that isn't an easy thing that one can get in a few days. I hope this all makes sense.
Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts

In my opinion, trophies are much better. First off, they increase your level rather than just add to a running total... not a big deal, but still is nice. Second, once home comes out, trophies will add to many unlockables for your charater, home, will be on display in your home, and a little more. And the best reason why they are better than achievements (again, this is IMO), is because they are split into 4 different types. When I see a semi-high to high gamerscore, I think they must play a lot of games and just get a bunch of the easy achievements. But when I see that a PSN user has multiple gold trophies, I know they're pretty good, but when I see that they have a platinum trophy... then I know that they are really, really good, because that isn't an easy thing that one can get in a few days. I hope this all makes sense.arto1223

i dont judge on the actual total. i go in and see what games they have the high score on. for example i have 1170 something from oblivion and have a lot of the ones from cod 4. but if i see someone who had a game with 4 acheivments only in a game that were worth 300 each then i would think they arnt good.

the way i see score is if you have less than 3000 you are a casual gamer and arnt obsessed. if you have 3000-6000 you are in to games and play a lot but it isnt an obsession and if you have above 6000 you are a good gamer who completes games and wants to be the best at all of them

KinderChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KinderChimp
Member since 2008 • 238 Posts
Trophies IMO look and sound nicer than achievements. Thats not to say which one is more original...
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
All 360 games have achievments and they just seem better implemented from what I've heard (I've only seen trophies at a friends house but they just seem like achievments only with different tiers of achievement) They're both pretty pointless though, never made me want to play a game more.
speedsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 speedsix
Member since 2003 • 1076 Posts
Both are similar in that they reward you for completing certain tasks. They differ in that the trophies implementation is rubbish, achievements on the other hand are not.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
The difference is MS did it first and from the start of the gen so all 360 games have them implemented, everybody is quick to slate MS for copying ideas which they do obviously, but give credit where it is due because trophies are obviously clone achievements just as avatars are to Mii's.
Mlauthemighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mlauthemighty
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts

They're similar in that both systems give you a pat on the back/a thumbs up whenever you complete certain goals and in rare cases the function as a savegame+'ish feature.

They differ in presentation which means that neither version is better since it's entirely a matter of taste.

They appeal to some people but personally I'm not gonna use the flamer in Dead Space just because the game rewards me with a shiny little badge...

Oh yeah, they give you the opportunity to compare e-peen sizes and determine how much ppl approximately bothered playing a game.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

In my opinion, trophies are much better. First off, they increase your level rather than just add to a running total... not a big deal, but still is nice. Second, once home comes out, trophies will add to many unlockables for your charater, home, will be on display in your home, and a little more. And the best reason why they are better than achievements (again, this is IMO), is because they are split into 4 different types. When I see a semi-high to high gamerscore, I think they must play a lot of games and just get a bunch of the easy achievements. But when I see that a PSN user has multiple gold trophies, I know they're pretty good, but when I see that they have a platinum trophy... then I know that they are really, really good, because that isn't an easy thing that one can get in a few days. I hope this all makes sense.arto1223

I agree.  Trophies one upped achievements in the way they are implemented. X360 does have an advantage that all games support achievements, while it's only recently become the standard to include trophies on PS3 games.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts

The similarities: they are bothe useless.

Skill Points >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> both.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
There the same thing..just 100% of 360 games have achievements and PS3 games don't....

Honestly its only there for fun In my case. I was into getting my gamerscore over 9000(guess why?)

and now i want to get to 20,000.....PS3s leveling system is fun i guess....and i like how the trophies are all different levels(Platinum, GOld, etc)

But all in all its the same damn thing.....and really isn't tipped in either sides favor.