Hot PC/Capcom action - DMC5 tops RE2

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (32750 posts) -

Capcom did dun it again yo

Devil May Cry 5 is Capcom's second biggest PC launch ever

More concurrent players than the Resident Evil 2 remake.

Capcom has entered a golden age. Its Resident Evil 2 remake was three times more popular on Steam than 2017's Resident Evil 7, and now its latest game, hack-and-slash Devil May Cry 5, has surpassed both of them, making it Capcom's second biggest PC launch ever.

As of writing, the game has a concurrent player peak of around 89,000, and is in the top 10 on Steam in terms of current players. That could improve over the weekend, too, but it's unlikely to catch up with Monster Hunter: World, Capcom's biggest-ever Steam launch, which reached a peak concurrent player count of more than 300,000 following its launch in August.

Capcom hasn't always prioritized PC but, as more PC players show a desire to play its games, that appears to be changing. Last month, Capcom exec Haruhiro Tsujimoto acknowledged that Monster Hunter: World had "exceeded expectations" on Steam, and talked about how important PC players are to the company.

Avatar image for ezekiel43
#2 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1397 posts) -

Don't know why they ever thought they had to reboot DMC.

I wonder what's gonna happen next for the RE series. Are they capable of making a classic survival horror like RE2 entirely from scratch? I kind of doubt it. Seems safer to remake Dino Crisis. I'd play that.

Avatar image for ellos
#3 Posted by ellos (1989 posts) -

@ezekiel43: For new stuff for the series I think they will continue with RE7 team. They will continue with that style while the remake team will do Re3 Remake. Maybe Dino Crisis as well I'm hoping thats the case.

Avatar image for ezekiel43
#4 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1397 posts) -

@ellos said:

@ezekiel43: For new stuff for the series I think they will continue with RE7 team. They will continue with that style while the remake team will do Re3 Remake. Maybe Dino Crisis as well I'm hoping thats the case.

I don't believe the next RE will be in first person. RE2 was more successful. I certainly won't play it if it is. They need to bring zombies back. That family was lame.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#5 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9578 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:
@ellos said:

@ezekiel43: For new stuff for the series I think they will continue with RE7 team. They will continue with that style while the remake team will do Re3 Remake. Maybe Dino Crisis as well I'm hoping thats the case.

I don't believe the next RE will be in first person. RE2 was more successful. I certainly won't play it if it is. They need to bring zombies back. That family was lame.

which is shame because RE7 is by far best game in series and RE2 is overrated.

Avatar image for ProtossRushX
#6 Posted by ProtossRushX (5240 posts) -

Capcom get it while its hot nicely done capcom

Avatar image for ellos
#7 Posted by ellos (1989 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:
@ellos said:

@ezekiel43: For new stuff for the series I think they will continue with RE7 team. They will continue with that style while the remake team will do Re3 Remake. Maybe Dino Crisis as well I'm hoping thats the case.

I don't believe the next RE will be in first person. RE2 was more successful. I certainly won't play it if it is. They need to bring zombies back. That family was lame.

I just think they are more eager to do remakes with RE2 style then do a new game. RE7 was successful enough. It established it self as a different take to continue. That VR support is going to continue also. @ghosts4ever will be happy lol.

Avatar image for true_link
#8 Edited by True_Link (243 posts) -

I hope this is a sign to RE2 don't be fps garbage.

The best selling RE titles are not fps. FPS doesn't belong on RE. Leave this trash out of this series.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (32750 posts) -

I'd be more excited for a remake of 3 than a new entry. 3 had alot of potential and some nice ideas, some of which in RE2 remake.

The multi-path derision making where you end up with different areas and cutscene in particular was limited by the technology of the day and something they haven't really used again since.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#10 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9578 posts) -

@true_link said:

I hope this is a sign to RE2 don't be fps garbage.

The best selling RE titles are not fps. FPS doesn't belong on RE. Leave this trash out of this series.

RE7 was not FPS. it was first person horror game.

and probably most immersive RE game. it was first time RE feel like a great. then it start being generic zombie action game with 2.

Avatar image for true_link
#11 Posted by True_Link (243 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: lol

First person camera with guns: first person shooter.

No connection to RE lore. 6 and 7 are the worst on the series and RE2 proved people prefer a third person RE, not a garbage first person one.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#12 Edited by lundy86_4 (52639 posts) -

I'm psyched to pick it up in a little over a week. Gonna run through the HD collection and 4 before I grab the game. Capcom is so on a roll it's unbelievable.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#13 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9578 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: but still not FPS. Shooting part were weak.

But its most scary and immersive RE game. RE2 doesn't feel like horror. Crazy baker family make it better and refreshing than previous zombie action games.

Exploring old house and new house are far more fun than police station.

Avatar image for with_teeth26
#14 Posted by with_teeth26 (9468 posts) -

well they've been doing an awesome job with the PC versions of their games lately so they deserve it

Avatar image for npiet1
#15 Posted by npiet1 (2066 posts) -

I've been playing DMC 5 on PC. It's just as good as RE2. I couldn't really choose.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#16 Edited by PC_Rocks (2013 posts) -

But piracy and denuvo something something. Right cup. :P

Avatar image for djoffer
#17 Posted by djoffer (1214 posts) -

I was pretty sure pc gaming was dead??

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#18 Posted by uninspiredcup (32750 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:

But piracy and denuvo something something. Right cup. :P

It probably would have been at least 50% higher if pirates weren't stealing it.

Avatar image for Maroxad
#19 Posted by Maroxad (15229 posts) -

Capcom are on a roll this year.

Who would have thought that delivering high quality products would have been so profitable? Instead of bucking down to the worst trends.

Avatar image for Epak_
#20 Posted by Epak_ (10640 posts) -

Just started the game, hope I get more sword moves, because one pissy sword combo ain't gonna cut it.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#21 Edited by Blackhairedhero (3201 posts) -

Wonder how it did on PS4. I'm sure it will make up over half the sales.

I'm so happy to see them doing well. DMC V is outstanding.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#22 Posted by PC_Rocks (2013 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@pc_rocks said:

But piracy and denuvo something something. Right cup. :P

It probably would have been at least 50% higher if pirates weren't stealing it.

'Probably' is not a verifiable fact you know.

Let's assume it's true and it can be 100% higher if not for pirates, still how does it make it okay for publishers to screw over paying customers by crippling their performance on the hardware they paid hard earned money for? On top of things it's not like their layer upon layer of DRMs can't be cracked by pirates. Just an example our very own Ghost doesn't have a very highend hardware and potentially will be effected most by those DRMs performance hit. Is DRM really preventing pirates or forcing legit users like Ghost towards piracy? That's the question every one should be asking, probably.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
#23 Posted by deactivated-5cd08b1605da1 (9317 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:

Seems safer to remake Dino Crisis.

Current gen dinossaurs? I'm up for that

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
#24 Edited by deactivated-5cd08b1605da1 (9317 posts) -

@Epak_ said:

Just started the game, hope I get more sword moves, because one pissy sword combo ain't gonna cut it.

You can unlock more moves but... are you even aware of pause combos? just asking

Avatar image for warmblur
#25 Posted by warmblur (2132 posts) -

I know it will never happen but I would really love a sequel to Remember me.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#26 Edited by lundy86_4 (52639 posts) -

Grabbed it and played a couple hours today. Absolutely brilliant. Camera can be a little finicky, so I may have to play with that. Holds a rock solid 60fps@1080p on a 1070. I'll be playing more in 4k once I grab a 2080 in a couple weeks.

Avatar image for superbuuman
#27 Posted by superbuuman (6400 posts) -

Capcom keep doing good! :)

Avatar image for Jag85
#28 Posted by Jag85 (13338 posts) -

@Maroxad: Capcom have been bucking trends lately, bringing the niche into the mainstream. Monster Hunter was niche outside Japan, and then World became a global blockbuster. Traditional survival horror had declined and become niche, until RE7 and RE2make became big hits. Hack & slash had become niche, yet DMC5 is now a major hit. This is the classic Capcom I remember, doing its own thing instead of trying to chase the latest trends.

Avatar image for Epak_
#29 Posted by Epak_ (10640 posts) -

@Vatusus said:
@Epak_ said:

Just started the game, hope I get more sword moves, because one pissy sword combo ain't gonna cut it.

You can unlock more moves but... are you even aware of pause combos? just asking

Yeah I found everything out when I got to do some upgrades.

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
#30 Edited by NoodleFighter (10163 posts) -

@Jag85: They need to make a proper Marvel Vs Capcom game, MvCi was garbage

Avatar image for freedomfreak
#31 Posted by freedomfreak (51140 posts) -
@Epak_ said:

Just started the game, hope I get more sword moves, because one pissy sword combo ain't gonna cut it.

Getting the 100K orb bonus literally makes the game better.

Hell, it would make all these games better.

Avatar image for almsteadt
#32 Posted by almsteadt (5 posts) -

ya i don't believe the next RE will

Avatar image for Litchie
#33 Edited by Litchie (23693 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:
@pc_rocks said:

But piracy and denuvo something something. Right cup. :P

It probably would have been at least 50% higher if pirates weren't stealing it.

The amount of people that would buy the game if they couldn't pirate it is probably way less than you think. 50% my bottocks.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#34 Posted by PC_Rocks (2013 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@Maroxad: Capcom have been bucking trends lately, bringing the niche into the mainstream. Monster Hunter was niche outside Japan, and then World became a global blockbuster. Traditional survival horror had declined and become niche, until RE7 and RE2make became big hits. Hack & slash had become niche, yet DMC5 is now a major hit. This is the classic Capcom I remember, doing its own thing instead of trying to chase the latest trends.

I hope Ubisoft is seeing that and propels them to get off their a$$ and work on PoP + Splinter Cell.

Avatar image for avenger85
#35 Posted by avenger85 (205 posts) -

I’m hoping with the success of dmc5 we start to see more action hack n slash games.

I feel like this gen has been lacking in them. Souls games are fun and all but I’m ready for the more of the fast paced combo games to make a come back.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#36 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30697 posts) -
@avenger85 said:

I’m hoping with the success of dmc5 we start to see more action hack n slash games.

I feel like this gen has been lacking in them. Souls games are fun and all but I’m ready for the more of the fast paced combo games to make a come back.

yeah it seems like every third person action game wants to be a dark souls clone / RPG these days.

Avatar image for Syn_Valence
#37 Posted by Syn_Valence (1779 posts) -

Capcom, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ANNOUNCE DRAGONS DOGMA 2!!!!

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#38 Posted by Blackhairedhero (3201 posts) -

Love DMC5. Next on the list Dragons Dogma 2, Darkstalkers and an RE3 remake.

Avatar image for Jag85
#39 Edited by Jag85 (13338 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:
@Jag85 said:

@Maroxad: Capcom have been bucking trends lately, bringing the niche into the mainstream. Monster Hunter was niche outside Japan, and then World became a global blockbuster. Traditional survival horror had declined and become niche, until RE7 and RE2make became big hits. Hack & slash had become niche, yet DMC5 is now a major hit. This is the classic Capcom I remember, doing its own thing instead of trying to chase the latest trends.

I hope Ubisoft is seeing that and propels them to get off their a$$ and work on PoP + Splinter Cell.

I'd definitely love to see a puzzle-platformer like Prince of Persia make a comeback. But not sure if Ubisoft has the talent left to pull off a game like that anymore. If Ubisoft did revive POP, they might just make it like another Assassin's Creed game.

Avatar image for Jag85
#40 Edited by Jag85 (13338 posts) -

@NoodleFighter said:

@Jag85: They need to make a proper Marvel Vs Capcom game, MvCi was garbage

Not sure if that's possible at this point. From what I've read, the reason it didn't have the X-Men is because Marvel is trying to devalue the brand, so they can buy the movie rights back from Fox for cheap. That would mean Capcom might not get the rights to X-Men for a long time. And MvC without the X-Men just wouldn't feel right.

Avatar image for avenger85
#41 Posted by avenger85 (205 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: yeah even though they can be good games I’m ready for some fast pace combat! No crafting system and no loot just a selection of weapons and combos.

Avatar image for Jag85
#42 Posted by Jag85 (13338 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@avenger85 said:

I’m hoping with the success of dmc5 we start to see more action hack n slash games.

I feel like this gen has been lacking in them. Souls games are fun and all but I’m ready for the more of the fast paced combo games to make a come back.

yeah it seems like every third person action game wants to be a dark souls clone / RPG these days.

Even Team Ninja jumped on the bandwagon, although Nioh is a great game in that style. But I still prefer their older, faster-paced, Ninja Gaiden.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#43 Posted by Blackhairedhero (3201 posts) -

@Jag85: Marvel just bought Fox. As soon as the deal goes through they will have the X-Men.

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
#44 Posted by NoodleFighter (10163 posts) -

@Jag85 said:
@NoodleFighter said:

@Jag85: They need to make a proper Marvel Vs Capcom game, MvCi was garbage

Not sure if that's possible at this point. From what I've read, the reason it didn't have the X-Men is because Marvel is trying to devalue the brand, so they can buy the movie rights back from Fox for cheap. That would mean Capcom might not get the rights to X-Men for a long time. And MvC without the X-Men just wouldn't feel right.

But Disney merged with 21st Century Fox now so it shouldn't be a problem now since Disney owns them/have a stake in it. They're even talking about having Marvel Studios do the X-Men movies. Yeah MvCi without the X-Men was the biggest gripe especially since the series originated from X-Men Vs Street Fighter. Not having the X-Men is like not having Pokemon or TLOZ characters in Super Smash Bros.

Avatar image for avenger85
#45 Posted by avenger85 (205 posts) -

@Jag85: yeah I’m hoping they do a Ninja Gaiden 4 soon. Nioh was a good game but I prefer ninja Gaines combat over it any day.

Avatar image for pook99
#46 Posted by pook99 (826 posts) -

I am, and have always been a Capcom fanboy, and I am so glad the company is making its way back into the mainstream with these amazing games. I have not played nearly as much of DMC 5 as I would have liked but from what I have played(the first 6 missions) the game is fantastic, and most likely will end up being my favorite game of the series.

I'm pretty hyped for Bayonetta 3 but this game has set the bar really high.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#47 Posted by Archangel3371 (27564 posts) -

It makes me very happy to see Capcom doing so well.

Avatar image for Jag85
#48 Posted by Jag85 (13338 posts) -

@NoodleFighter said:

But Disney merged with 21st Century Fox now so it shouldn't be a problem now since Disney owns them/have a stake in it. They're even talking about having Marvel Studios do the X-Men movies. Yeah MvCi without the X-Men was the biggest gripe especially since the series originated from X-Men Vs Street Fighter. Not having the X-Men is like not having Pokemon or TLOZ characters in Super Smash Bros.

Doh! I almost forgot about the merger... But yeah, once the merger happens, Marvel might finally allow the X-Men to appear in MvC.

Avatar image for zaryia
#49 Posted by Zaryia (8178 posts) -

Yup, PC is the ultimate system.