Horizon Zero Dawn on PC is a Good Start.

Cloud_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1 Cloud_Man
Member since 2020 • 201 Posts

Finally finished Horizon Zero Dawn on PC last night. A great experience it was but not without its issues. First of all, I was greatly impressed by the way they transferred controls onto keyboard mouse. It suffered from no mouse smoothing or acceleration issues that old console ports often used to suffer. So kudos to whoever did programming for PC controls. Optimization overall was OK- ish.

On high settings I got around 45- 50 fps on my mid range PC with occasional stuttering and crashes due to memory leak issues. The game also had some glitches and minor bugs here and there but nothing that couple of patches can't fix. It isn't the best port ever but it ain't the worst port either. It ain't Dark Souls bad or unstable like Nier Automata.

Luckily the game saves quite often so in worst case scenario you only lose around 2 or 3 minutes of data if the game crashes. I really enjoyed the game when it initially came out on PS4 and playing it all over again was a great experience. From what I've heard it sold quite well on steam. Let's hope this encourages Sony to expand its PC based team in the future so they can consider bringing more of these first party games on the platform, and with better optimization.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

@cloud_man said:

Let's hope this encourages Sony to expand its PC based team in the future so they can consider bringing more of these first party games on the platform, and with better optimization.

Yeah, hopefully something less meh next time.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

Sony needs to do their own PC ports in the future or else what's the point? Horizon is still playable, but they need to take it upon themselves to make sure their customers don't have a half-assed experience, no matter what platform it's on.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

HZD 2 isn't happening on PC. They probably did the bad port on purpose so PC gamers figure the PS5 is the best way forward.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46279 Posts

I've already decided I'll get the inevitable PS5 version instead.

The PC port was simply horrendous and I'm not interested in giving it another shot. Guerrilla had their chance and blew it. I'm pretty sure a PS5 version will run a million times smoother, because actual effort will have been put in. I guess it was to much for a pc version to receive some of said effort.

This pc port is along the same lines as Saints Row 2 and Arkham Knight.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: It’s nowhere near as bad as Arkham Knight but it’s definitely a low-effort, low-quality port.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

@Juub1990 said:

@R4gn4r0k: It’s nowhere near as bad as Arkham Knight but it’s definitely a low-effort, low-quality port.

Well it's completely unplayable for me, how could it be any worse?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

HZD 2 isn't happening on PC. They probably did the bad port on purpose so PC gamers figure the PS5 is the best way forward.

But even with the bad port it was better than the PS4 version.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7163 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

The PC port was simply horrendous and I'm not interested in giving it another shot. Guerrilla had their chance and blew it. I'm pretty sure a PS5 version will run a million times smoother, because actual effort will have been put in. I guess it was to much for a pc version to receive some of said effort.

i don't think guerrilla did the pc port.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

How does it run on PC OP?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

I too finish HZD PC like yesterday and I must say, I fully enjoy it on PC vs playing it on console. I find it playing using my Xbox Elite controller to be the best of the best vs DS3. And yes, it was a mess at first but with the right setup, I find playing HZD on PC still the best way when I'm getting 60fps which is a given. That said, I give HZD PC port a 8/10 and the latest patch does help out. No way I'll be playing it on console ever again and even though I love HZD, I'll be waiting for Forbidden West come to PC. Never going to bother with PS5.

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Juub1990 said:

The latest patch did fix the issues, its totally nowhere near as bad as Arkham Knight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

@davillain- said:

I too finish HZD PC like yesterday and I must say, I fully enjoy it on PC vs playing it on console. I find it playing using my Xbox Elite controller to be the best of the best vs DS3. And yes, it was a mess at first but with the right setup, I find playing HZD on PC still the best way when I'm getting 60fps which is a given. That said, I give HZD PC port a 8/10 and the latest patch does help out. No way I'll be playing it on console ever again and even though I love HZD, I'll be waiting for Forbidden West come to PC. Never going to bother with PS5.

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Juub1990 said:

The latest patch did fix the issues, its totally nowhere near as bad as Arkham Knight.

WOW, HZD on PC was bad as AK on PC pre patch?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator

@magnum3000: Not worse then Arkham Knight mind you. HZD PC was still playable but the framerates was all over the place. It has gotten better with the latest patch. And plus, I had a better hardware to maintain better framerates.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Juub1990

@R4gn4r0k: Because you aren’t the only person on Earth? For instance it works very well for me aside from some minor issues. In general, it’s all over the place with a sizable portion of the player-base reporting it running well and another, arguably larger part reporting it doesn’t.

Arkham Knight was shit for 99% of us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

@davillain- said:

@magnum3000: Not worse then Arkham Knight mind you. HZD PC was still playable but the framerates was all over the place. It has gotten better with the latest patch. And plus, I had a better hardware to maintain better framerates.

Ahhh! AK was real bad lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

@Random_Matt: no they did because they weren't making any more sales off a stupid third person far cry.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k

@gifford38 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Which is exactly what I take issue with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-642321fb121ca

@R4gn4r0k said:
@gifford38 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

What developer doesn't outsource the port work? Not many my bet.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7163 Posts

@Random_Matt said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@gifford38 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

i bet the company that did the port didn't have much knowledge of the decima engine guerrilla uses.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Yeah, it wasn't that bad of port for most of us. I haven't had a single crash with the game, so I guess I got lucky in that regard.

The game does have some bugs, which I assume also exist on the Playstation version, like robot bodies floating in mid-air every once in a while, or there's a quest I'm currently on to track down Milo(I think that was his name) and one of the big robots glitched out and died somehow and I couldn't finish the quest after killing all other enemies in the area. I'm guessing these are engine bugs and not specific to the PC port.

The melee in the game is also complete shite, but that has nothing to do with any bugs.

Hopefully they bring the 2nd one to PC because the game isn't bad.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k

@Random_Matt said:

Kojima productions didn't. They spent as much effort on the PS4 version as they did on the PC version.

I'm sorry but when Sony announces that Guerrilla is doing the porting, I kinda expected Guerrilla to do the porting, not some no name developer who doesn't seem to have a clue what they are doing...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-642321fb121ca

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Yeah, it wasn't that bad of port for most of us. I haven't had a single crash with the game, so I guess I got lucky in that regard.

The game does have some bugs, which I assume also exist on the Playstation version, like robot bodies floating in mid-air every once in a while, or there's a quest I'm currently on to track down Milo(I think that was his name) and one of the big robots glitched out and died somehow and I couldn't finish the quest after killing all other enemies in the area. I'm guessing these are engine bugs and not specific to the PC port.

The melee in the game is also complete shite, but that has nothing to do with any bugs.

There is zero bugs on PS4.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DragonfireXZ95

@Random_Matt said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

So do you like lying or is it a one-off thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYbReXkHwJo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-642321fb121ca

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Random_Matt said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Played three times, nothing. Probably not patched.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DragonfireXZ95

@Random_Matt said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Random_Matt said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Okay, sure, just don't even bother admitting you were wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-642321fb121ca

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Random_Matt said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Random_Matt said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Unless you have a large sample of individuals who have issues, let me know. Until then, you have nothing.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DragonfireXZ95

@Random_Matt said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Random_Matt said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Random_Matt said:

Unless you have a large sample of individuals who have issues, let me know. Until then, you have nothing.

No, I just have a video of glitches on PS4 proving you wrong.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95:

C'mon, give our 'not a cow but a PC gamers' some slack. BTW, he's the only PC gamer who wants PS exclusives to remain exclusives, not because he doesn't like it but for some odd reason doesn't want it to be on his 'preferred platform'.

On topic, meh. HZD didn't interest me with its first showing and it wouldn't definitely change my mind by being on PC. Usual product of Sony's template.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

I am only starting into it now. Playing it on a laptop with an RTX 2060, 16GB of ram and a Ryzen 4800H.

Looks like its going to be an enjoyable romp.

I have limited the game to 30FPS as going higher seem to expose issues faster from what i have seen around. at original settings at 4K its apparently only using 20% of my GPU according to windows task manager (i am guessing that aint accurate. no idea how that is measured). I may push it further at some point though. just holding off for now as my GPU drivers are old and my laptop manufacturer dun goofed so i can't update them (should be fixed in a few weeks).

it plays fine now with a controller (i am using an SN30 pro+ rather than a mouse and keyboard for this one. very much a playstation style controller)

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#30  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I'm reposting this from the previous HZD thread as I really would like some insight on how this happens:

I'm genuinely wondering what exactly was this footage running on if the port wasn't up to "standard". Maybe someone here could enlighten me on these things. How could the retail version have such issues, but also have such an great looking PC features trailer before it launched? Like, why even put so much effort in "PC features", when it's not running properly?:

Loading Video...

It all really doesn't make any sense to me. Because if someone was to base an opinion solely around this trailer; it would give the perception that they were indeed putting a lot of effort/passion into the port. Did the devs not experience any of these issues on their machines or something?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#31 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

I am holding out until all major issues are resolved and the price is cheaper.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Next time play it on Playstation.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator

@Telekill said:

Why? I personally enjoy it on PC myself.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts
@Random_Matt said:

Invented nonsense with nothing to back it up other than your hurt feelings because you are a single system whiner that has never had any effect on the gaming industries platform choice and never will

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PC_Rocks

@Telekill said:

Telling people who don't like it in current state to play it in even worse performance and quality. Well, I knew cows weren't intelligent but that was some next level sh*t.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Telekill

@pc_rocks: Don't be mad at me because your potato can't run the game while my 2013 launch PS4 runs it perfectly fine.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Juub1990

@Telekill: Get better bait.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Telekill

@Juub1990: What are you? The master baiter?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PC_Rocks

@Telekill said:

@pc_rocks: Don't be mad at me because your potato can't run the game while my 2013 launch PS4 runs it perfectly fine.

I thought the previous post was next level but this one actually made me speechless. Always thought, it's physically impossible to be this stupid.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Telekill

@pc_rocks: Look... if your PC can handle it (doubtful) then quit being a whiney toddler, shut the hell up, and enjoy the damn game.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I think the port would have been better with Guerilla at the forefront, but they're obviously working on Horizon 2. Still, the game didn't run as well as it should on my hardware, but nothing outright terrible. I'm just waiting for a few patches before jumping in.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PC_Rocks

@Telekill said:

@pc_rocks: Look... if your PC can handle it (doubtful) then quit being a whiney toddler, shut the hell up, and enjoy the damn game.

Keep digging that hole. You're just showing your stupidity and ignorance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

I didn't have any performance issues thankfully but i only put in 10 hours before I got bored. I do hope we see more PS games though as they're generally a good product but I feel the H:ZD & Death Stranding releases were nothing but a stunt to attract PC gamers to the PS5.