Honestly, am I wrong ... ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Kevlar101
Edited 3 years, 9 months ago

Poll: Honestly, am I wrong ... ? (27 votes)

Yes, you are wrong. You are very stuck-up, so you should get over this little problem. 67%
No, you are not wrong. Your issue is understandable, and "I" would probably do the same. 7%
"I" have no yes or no answer, but texture pop-in is very annoying, for sure.... 26%

About 8 months ago, my Xbox 360 started having some hardware problems. Started having major pop-in across all games, framerate drops, slower loading times, more frequent freezes and crashes.

To remedy this, I decided to buy a PS3. Why? For one, I could finally escape the bullshit texture pop-in that I cannot tolerate even a little bit. Secondly, as a bonus, I would have access to all the PS3 exclusives. I got a pre-owned PS3.

So, here is the result.

I have completed Mass Effect, and I am currently playing Mass Effect 2 and The Last Of Us.

There is ever-present pop-in. Rampant. Arguably worse than what was on the Xbox 360. It started small, and is now very noticeable. It's impossible to not see. It's especially bad on TLOU, but it will soon get bad on ME2, because it is already starting to show a bit there.

So.....I see it as pointless. If I got a new system specifically to escape the hardware problems of the old system, yet the new system has the same hardware problems as the old one, then it was pretty much pointless....right?

I am considering trying to buy one that is new, rather than pre-owned (yes, they exist still.). But...I feel somewhat bad for that. Now, answer the question in the poll, if you would.

Avatar image for clyde46
#1 Posted by clyde46 (49050 posts) -

Aside from Sony exclusives and GTA5, the PS3 always suffered more when it comes to pop-in and other performance related issues.

Avatar image for Blabadon
#2 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

Bad luck

Avatar image for Kaze_no_Mirai
#3 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11763 posts) -

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

Avatar image for Kevlar101
#4 Posted by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

I'm not sure if you understand.

This is a hardware fault, not a DESIGN flaw.

Avatar image for blackace
#5 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

Or go back and play cartridge console games. lol!!

Avatar image for lostrib
#6 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

I'm not sure if you understand.

This is a hardware fault, not a DESIGN flaw.

...and you know this how?

Avatar image for Lulu_Lulu
#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

I don't like any of the Poll Options.

Anyway, texture only bothers me if it affects the gameplay. the Texture Pop in Midnight Club Los Angeles and LA Noire was so damn annoying. Ever had had an entire tram appear right in front of you at 150 miles an hour ? Its not fun.

GTA does it too. Lol, basicly any rockstar game. Haha.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#8 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (5084 posts) -

Yes, the games have texture pop-in. Didn't you already make a thread on this?

Avatar image for Couth_
#9 Posted by Couth_ (10369 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

I'm not sure if you understand.

This is a hardware fault, not a DESIGN flaw.

...and you know this how?

It seems like it because it starts off okay but then gets worse. I always noticed some pop in in most console games but it was never as rampant as OP describes and it never got worse as the game went on. Sounds like OP is playing in a microwave and frying his GPU as he plays..

Solution is still buy a PC though

Avatar image for Heil68
#10 Posted by Heil68 (57859 posts) -

Well you got to play PS3 exclusives and in and of itself, that's a blessing.

Avatar image for clyde46
#11 Posted by clyde46 (49050 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

I'm not sure if you understand.

This is a hardware fault, not a DESIGN flaw.

If its hardware, then you need faster hardware which means get a PC.

Avatar image for Kevlar101
#12 Posted by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

I'm not sure if you understand.

This is a hardware fault, not a DESIGN flaw.

If its hardware, then you need faster hardware which means get a PC.

No. It means that something has "broke" in the system.

Avatar image for clyde46
#13 Posted by clyde46 (49050 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@clyde46 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

I'm not sure if you understand.

This is a hardware fault, not a DESIGN flaw.

If its hardware, then you need faster hardware which means get a PC.

No. It means that something has "broke" in the system.

No, its not broke. the 7th gen machines had terrible pop-in issues. Its a hardware flaw....

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#14 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22349 posts) -

get it for PC

Avatar image for Kevlar101
#15 Posted by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@clyde46 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

I'm not sure if you understand.

This is a hardware fault, not a DESIGN flaw.

If its hardware, then you need faster hardware which means get a PC.

No. It means that something has "broke" in the system.

No, its not broke. the 7th gen machines had terrible pop-in issues. Its a hardware flaw....

It came on gradually. Don't you get it? My Xbox 360 was perfectly fine for 4 years, and only after that did the problems start.

Avatar image for clyde46
#16 Posted by clyde46 (49050 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@clyde46 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@clyde46 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

I'm not sure if you understand.

This is a hardware fault, not a DESIGN flaw.

If its hardware, then you need faster hardware which means get a PC.

No. It means that something has "broke" in the system.

No, its not broke. the 7th gen machines had terrible pop-in issues. Its a hardware flaw....

It came on gradually. Don't you get it? My Xbox 360 was perfectly fine for 4 years, and only after that did the problems start.

I get it and it happened to me, the only solution is to either buy a next gen machine or a PC.

Avatar image for MBirdy88
#17 Posted by MBirdy88 (12230 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

I'm not sure if you understand.

This is a hardware fault, not a DESIGN flaw.

... how is pop in a hardware fault? its a hardware limitation... not a fault... which both consoles suffered from greatly.

Avatar image for nvidiaking
#18 Posted by NVIDIAking (34 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Bad luck

this

Avatar image for wis3boi
#19 Edited by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

I think you expect too much from a box that's designed to be a wannabe PC, especially ones nearing a decade old

Avatar image for stuff238
#20 Posted by stuff238 (2378 posts) -

Play games with less pop in? That's like blaming the console because you chose to play a bethesda or GTA game.

Avatar image for inb4uall
#21 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

Obviously TC need to take better care of his shit.

Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#22 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

ps3 had more pop in than the 360, 90% multi plats ran better on 360, GTA5 and a few others looked better on ps3.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#23 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12691 posts) -

So you have major technical problems on 360 games, and you thought getting a PS3 and the same games again, you wouldn't have the same problems on that platform?

That was really dumb.

Avatar image for Nengo_Flow
#24 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

I dont remember TLoU having pop problems...

Dont remember the reviewers mentioning it either....

Avatar image for naz99
#25 Posted by naz99 (2810 posts) -

Oh my god....I don't even....

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#26 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

pop in exists on ps360

the problem may exacerbate as the machine ages

buying a whole new machine just to eliminate pop in? well, its your money, but i wouldn't be doing that. what if you get a 'lemon'? (just faulty enough for them to say 'no fault found' under warranty)

Avatar image for navyguy21
#27 Posted by navyguy21 (14730 posts) -

How can you buy a modern console and NOT expect pop in?

Only consoles ive owned that never had pop in was NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64.

Guess what they all have in common?

Avatar image for GreySeal9
#28 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

So you have major technical problems on 360 games, and you thought getting a PS3 and the same games again, you wouldn't have the same problems on that platform?

That was really dumb.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
#29 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14353 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

get it for PC

Avatar image for Old_Gooseberry
#30 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3957 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

get it for PC

this and this

Avatar image for Gue1
#31 Posted by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

you were crazy enough to buy a used console, tc? Do you realize that most people that sell their consoles it's because they have some sort of issue? In fact, Gamestop even buys broken (ylod, rrod, etc.) consoles to then have them "repaired" (not by Sony BTW) to sell em again.

Buying a used console is easily one of the worsts investments that you could possibly do.

Avatar image for IgGy621985
#32 Posted by IgGy621985 (5449 posts) -

Owned 360, never had any hardware issues.

Avatar image for delta3074
#33 Edited by delta3074 (19951 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

ps3 had more pop in than the 360, 90% multi plats ran better on 360, GTA5 and a few others looked better on ps3.

BS, it's actually only around 65%, although i agree that the Ps3 had more pop because you cannot install and run the games from the HDD like you can on the 360

Avatar image for cainetao11
#34 Posted by cainetao11 (32742 posts) -

It happens. Never has it made any game I played on either PS3 or 360, unplayable. If its as you say getting worse, get a new console, or better yet a PC.

Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#35 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

ps3 had more pop in than the 360, 90% multi plats ran better on 360, GTA5 and a few others looked better on ps3.

BS, it's actually only around 65%, although i agree that the Ps3 had more pop because you cannot install and run the games from the HDD like you can on the 360

I had both consoles, 9 times out of 10 multi plats looked and played way better on the 360, at least the ones that mattered, my favorite games of last gen red dead redemption was better on the 360

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#36 Posted by foxhound_fox (96814 posts) -

You thought the pop-in and texture problems were from hardware problems? If it was off-warranty, why not open it up and clean it if this was the case?

Most UE3 games on both the 360 and PS3 were known for texture pop-in. It was part of how the engine worked. Buying a PS3 wouldn't solve the issue. Buying a more-then-capable PC would however.

Avatar image for Kevlar101
#37 Posted by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

you were crazy enough to buy a used console, tc? Do you realize that most people that sell their consoles it's because they have some sort of issue? In fact, Gamestop even buys broken (ylod, rrod, etc.) consoles to then have them "repaired" (not by Sony BTW) to sell em again.

Buying a used console is easily one of the worsts investments that you could possibly do.

It was actually a gift. I had no control over whether it was used or new. I would have preferred if it was new.

Avatar image for stationplay_4
#38 Edited by stationplay_4 (444 posts) -

i never had any problems with pop-in on my ps3 and it's one of the old fat ones.

Avatar image for darkangel115
#39 Posted by darkangel115 (4449 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@delta3074 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

ps3 had more pop in than the 360, 90% multi plats ran better on 360, GTA5 and a few others looked better on ps3.

BS, it's actually only around 65%, although i agree that the Ps3 had more pop because you cannot install and run the games from the HDD like you can on the 360

I had both consoles, 9 times out of 10 multi plats looked and played way better on the 360, at least the ones that mattered, my favorite games of last gen red dead redemption was better on the 360

this^

games mostly just didn't run well on the PS3. Even late 1st party entries like TLOU had its fair share of issues running. Most of it was just due to lack of RAM. the PS3 only have 256MB for games. It just wasn't enough

Avatar image for darkangel115
#40 Posted by darkangel115 (4449 posts) -
@Nengo_Flow said:

I dont remember TLoU having pop problems...

Dont remember the reviewers mentioning it either....

Oh it did, it had quite a few glitches, but for some reason every reviewer ignored them.

Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#41 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@delta3074 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

ps3 had more pop in than the 360, 90% multi plats ran better on 360, GTA5 and a few others looked better on ps3.

BS, it's actually only around 65%, although i agree that the Ps3 had more pop because you cannot install and run the games from the HDD like you can on the 360

I had both consoles, 9 times out of 10 multi plats looked and played way better on the 360, at least the ones that mattered, my favorite games of last gen red dead redemption was better on the 360

this^

games mostly just didn't run well on the PS3. Even late 1st party entries like TLOU had its fair share of issues running. Most of it was just due to lack of RAM. the PS3 only have 256MB for games. It just wasn't enough

yupppppp, 256mb of ram is horrible i'm surprised games looked as good as they did.

Avatar image for Krelian-co
#42 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

correct answer, vsync is a taxing feature in terms of hardware that will often get sacrificed on consoles, pc ftw-

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
#43 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (6792 posts) -

Didn't read but the answer to whatever it is, is get a PS4.

Avatar image for Nengo_Flow
#45 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:
@Nengo_Flow said:

I dont remember TLoU having pop problems...

Dont remember the reviewers mentioning it either....

Oh it did, it had quite a few glitches, but for some reason every reviewer ignored them.

i never ran into any glitches........

Avatar image for lostrib
#46 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

@darkangel115 said:
@Nengo_Flow said:

I dont remember TLoU having pop problems...

Dont remember the reviewers mentioning it either....

Oh it did, it had quite a few glitches, but for some reason every reviewer ignored them.

i never ran into any glitches........

are we ignoring AI glitches?

Avatar image for mwright469
#47 Posted by MWright469 (168 posts) -

I think god is punishing you and your games for giving so much of a ****.