Homefront: The Revolution announced

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by finalstar2007 (27940 posts) -

On behalf of Crytek Nottingham, I’m incredibly proud to announce our latest title: Homefront: The Revolution!

Some of you may have already heard that Crytek was developing the next Homefront game – we’ve been working on it for almost three years now – but I don’t think anyone suspected just how radically we have overhauled the first person shooter formula this time around.

Homefront: The Revolution is a game about Guerrilla Warfare. We’ve built upon the core pillars of Crytek’s FPS design philosophy – emergent gameplay and player freedom in a sandbox world – to create our most ambitious title to date. Set in Occupied Philadelphia in a nightmarish near-future dystopia, Homefront: The Revolution casts the player as a civilian-turned-freedom-fighter who must rise up and lead the Resistance against a superior military force and ignite the Second American Revolution.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/02/homefront-the-revolution-coming-to-ps4/

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
#2 Edited by Doom_HellKnight (12217 posts) -

I really liked the premise behind the original game, even if the execution wasn't up to par. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this game turns out. Colour me particularly interested.

#3 Edited by finalstar2007 (27940 posts) -

@Doom_HellKnight said:

I really liked the premise behind the original game, even if the execution wasn't up to par. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this game turns out. Colour me particularly interested.

Indeed, this was interesting for an announcement trailer.

#4 Posted by slaves (1445 posts) -

Looks pretty cool.

#5 Edited by finalstar2007 (27940 posts) -

@slaves said:

Looks pretty cool.

Indeed it does

#6 Posted by slaves (1445 posts) -

@finalstar2007 said:

@slaves said:

Looks pretty cool.

Indeed it does

I really like what they were trying to do in the first game.

#7 Posted by freedomfreak (50198 posts) -

Haven't played the first one out of sheer indifference.

#8 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

SWEET!

I enjoyed the first homefront, It was a solid game, but did lack in some areas

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#9 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (12856 posts) -

Looks way better and interesting than Failzone Shadowfail. LOL

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
#10 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6843 posts) -

Could this be the Red Faction Guerilla sequel I have been longing for?

#11 Posted by Heil68 (57942 posts) -

I liked the first game, will check out this one next year for sure.

#12 Edited by hello505 (462 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Don't know how it'd be anything of the like, that game was all about environmental destruction.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#13 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12856 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

No, this is a sequel to Homefront.

#14 Posted by Shewgenja (19517 posts) -

@Doom_HellKnight said:

Yeah, it had fantastic source material. They just need to hammer out the gameplay a bit better. I'm definitely interested in seeing how the sequel shapes up. If they match the gameplay with the storytelling, this could be really damn good!

#15 Edited by Animal-Mother (27353 posts) -

God homefront was horrendous.

Maybe this won't suck. But i'm not holding my breath. Crytek while making pretty games make pretty run of the mill games.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#16 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4939 posts) -

The first one was so bad why even bother with a sequel?

#17 Edited by uninspiredcup (26104 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

The first one was so bad why even bother with a sequel?

Because money give.

#18 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (6607 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Haven't played the first one out of sheer indifference.

You're not missing much. Check out Angry Joe's review to get a picture. Honestly, since it's being made by Crytek, we know what to expect.

The story will be meh, the gunplay will be satisfying but nothing special at all, and the graphics will be great. Guess teh Homefront IP was good enough to not be completly new but still exist.

But since it's coming out on all platforms, i'm intersted to see if Crytek will push PC hardware further, or will it simply be a small upcale.

#19 Posted by getyeryayasout (11580 posts) -

They occupied Philly? Jokes on them.

I can already see the Philly Phanatic belly-bumping Kim Jong-un, before his army is driven from town by a bunch of D-cell battery chucking maniacs, all of 'em hopped up on riot punch. :P

#20 Edited by Daious (2315 posts) -

Finally a next gen only multiplatform title.

#21 Edited by Boddicker (4347 posts) -

It actually looks interesting.

I wonder where the KPA got "superior weapons" to the US military. At this point they'd have to have access to alien technology for that to possibly happen.

Still, China is the only aggressor I can see actually taking us on and winning. Even a united Korea is still too small a country.

#22 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

I don't like violence :(

#23 Edited by Roler42 (1067 posts) -

It better be fun and not the stupid boring snoozefest that was the first homefront

#24 Edited by Flubbbs (4948 posts) -

PC and current gen only game.. its about time!

#25 Posted by cainetao11 (33482 posts) -

ALRIGHT!!! #GIGATON!!!! Another FPS, Yes!!!

#26 Edited by remiks00 (3797 posts) -

Yay another FPS. :-P

#27 Edited by Masculus (2878 posts) -

Hope they don't drop the ball (again) on this one.

#28 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11763 posts) -

It's next gen only, so thats a start.

#29 Edited by PyratRum (778 posts) -

Enjoyed the first one quite a bit even if it's mechanics weren't entirely original or fleshed out. I'm hoping they bring back the multiplayer as that was definitely the best part of Homefront.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#30 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30830 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Eh? The first one was flat out pants. People throw around the word generic here far too often, but it was a deeply (pants) generic shooter that barely managed to be mediocre.

#31 Edited by edidili (3449 posts) -

Who the hell asked for another Homefront?

#32 Posted by KBFloYd (19386 posts) -

homefront 2?

wow

#33 Posted by mems_1224 (56917 posts) -

There is a lot I can put up with when it comes to FPS games and still enjoy them but even by my standards the first Homefront game was awful. I really hope they do something cool with that awesome premise besides making it a CoD clone.

Also, how does shit like this get a sequel but awesome games like Freedom Fighters are one and done??? Not fair.

#34 Posted by lunar1122 (779 posts) -

i will give them the benefit of the doubt...maybe Crytek can impress us here... Never played Homefront before

#35 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

Oh goody... a Cryteck game........... and a shooter too

#36 Posted by clyde46 (49050 posts) -

@remiks00 said:

Yay another FPS. :-P

You saw what happened when Crytek tried to make something other than an FPS.

#37 Posted by Heil68 (57942 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Heil68 said:

Eh? The first one was flat out pants. People throw around the word generic here far too often, but it was a deeply (pants) generic shooter that barely managed to be mediocre.

pants? rofl....It was good for what it was at the time.

#38 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Cancel it already. Thanks

#39 Posted by bobbetybob (19370 posts) -

First one was God awful but this is a different team (the team that was Free Radical but God knows who's left there from the old team any more) and an open world FPS sounds interesting so I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#40 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (30830 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Heil68 said:

pants? rofl....It was good for what it was at the time.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pants

You need to British up me boy! lol

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#41 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18695 posts) -

I'm honestly surprised that the game is getting a sequel. The ONLY thing that the original brought to the table was having a mildly interesting premise. Apart from that, it's about as run of the mill as shooters come.

#42 Edited by cainetao11 (33482 posts) -

I'm voting AAAA on this one

#43 Posted by M8ingSeezun (2173 posts) -

I actually enjoyed the original. Looking forward to this.

I'm a huge fan of alternate reality/history.

#44 Posted by IgGy621985 (5455 posts) -

I just love when companies share misinformation with the rest of the world. There is another trailer online, where you can see the game is apparently coming only to PS4 and Xbox one. Then you read in the previews it's actually coming to Windows and Linux too.

#45 Posted by CanYouDiglt (8232 posts) -

The first one had a good idea with a Red Dawn feel but done poorly. This one does not even seem like it will have that. So instead of being invaded by another current super power in the world, America is being invaded some futuristic army.

#46 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18695 posts) -

@CanYouDiglt: Why would you think that? I just assumed that the soldiers were the Korean invaders.

#47 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

Show me more and I may buy it.

#48 Posted by clyde46 (49050 posts) -

@IgGy621985 said:

I just love when companies share misinformation with the rest of the world. There is another trailer online, where you can see the game is apparently coming only to PS4 and Xbox one. Then you read in the previews it's actually coming to Windows and Linux too.

Maybe they made the trailer before they made the Linux announcement.

#49 Posted by CanYouDiglt (8232 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

@CanYouDiglt: Why would you think that? I just assumed that the soldiers were the Korean invaders.

I have no idea what country it is supposed to be this time but it is obviously a futuristic version of whatever army it is. The drone, uniforms, and type of voice. Just saying I liked the idea of the Red Dawn feel current day and being invaded by a super power. This seems more like warp a certain amount of years into the future after that country has taken over.

#50 Edited by turtlethetaffer (18695 posts) -

@CanYouDiglt said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

I have no idea what country it is supposed to be this time but it is obviously a futuristic version of whatever army it is. The drone, uniforms, and type of voice. Just saying I liked the idea of the Red Dawn feel current day and being invaded by a super power. This seems more like warp a certain amount of years into the future after that country has taken over.

I think they flashed Korean faces in the trailer. Which means you could be right in that it's futuristic, butI doubt they'll steer away from the Korea thing.