Hmm Sony Nearly Bankrupt, Microsoft Lays of 18,000 but Ninty

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@Slimmin360: the game division is the one doing well at Sony. It's the other departments not doing well. Sony has fired 5k people. Sold buidlings, assets and the PC division. Kaz has to cut off the fat and there are going to be casualties. Sony will do better next year i think if they continue to focus on what they do best and not stretch themselves too thin

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
#52 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3948 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Slimmin360: the game division is the one doing well at Sony. It's the other departments not doing well. Sony has fired 5k people. Sold buidlings, assets and the PC division. Kaz has to cut off the fat and there are going to be casualties. Sony will do better next year i think if they continue to focus on what they do best and not stretch themselves too thin

Sony movies are doing well too. So it´s not "other departments"

#53 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

The hardware deparments aren't doing well mate

#54 Edited by super600 (32418 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Slimmin360 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/7/5690124/nintendo-posts-456-million-annual-operating-loss

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/24/5650126/microsoft-q3-2014-financial-earnings

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/14/sony-financials-reveal-huge-loss-with-more-expected

Nintendo posts $456 million annual operating loss

Sony overall loss of $1.29 billion

Microsoft has published its Q3 2014 earnings report, and the company has made $5.66 billion in net income on $20.4 billion

Nintendo: 456 million loss

Sony: 1.29 billion loss

Microsoft: 20.4 billion profit

Microsoft lays of because to get even bigger profit. You earn every year 150 million euros, but you lay of people and now you earn 500 million euros every year. You wouldnt lay of for profit? i would.

Even with Nintendo's loss, their still sitting on billions in reserves, which is soon to be pushed waaayyyy into profit by 2015's 1st party releases like Zelda, Smash Bros, Yoshi's Woolly World.....So i assure it's a temporary and common occurence with Nintendo until the first party sales figures are released.

Most recent successful example of this is The Wii-U's Mario Kart 8 bundles, retail stores could not keep them on store shelves, and now none can be found anywhere except Ebay or Amazon for an astronomical price.

No they are not. If they had billions then Nintendo would price cut console prices and also would support online. Nintendo can´t do that because they just don´t have much money. Nintendo is small. They can´t even make online games than 2 exclusives and that´s all, or buy multiplatform games. Nintendo is even smaller than Activision

Nintendo has at least about 4 or 5 billion the last time I checked in actual cash so they are not in a position of danger yet.They have significantly more money in assests and etc.

#55 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

It's their TV, mobile and PC departments that are plunging holes in it's ship. China made cheap products are killing them.

#56 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

It's their TV, mobile and PC departments that are plunging holes in it's ship. China made cheap products are killing them.

PC was sold off, so it's the other hardware now

#57 Posted by MBirdy88 (12196 posts) -

Nintendo's console interest is very low.... and unlikely to recover anytime soon.

Only logical conclusion...

Go PC.... do the smart thing.

#58 Posted by super600 (32418 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Nintendo's console interest is very low.... and unlikely to recover anytime soon.

Only logical conclusion...

Go PC.... do the smart thing.

We will have to wait a couple of years for it to recover completely, but they already know what may have gone wrong according to comments Iwata made a couple of months ago.

#59 Posted by MirkoS77 (12786 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Slimmin360 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/7/5690124/nintendo-posts-456-million-annual-operating-loss

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/14/sony-financials-reveal-huge-loss-with-more-expected

Microsoft has published its Q3 2014 earnings report, and the company has made $5.66 billion in net income on $20.4 billion

Microsoft lays of because to get even bigger profit. You earn every year 150 million euros, but you lay of people and now you earn 500 million euros every year. You wouldnt lay of for profit? i would.

Even with Nintendo's loss, their still sitting on billions in reserves, which is soon to be pushed waaayyyy into profit by 2015's 1st party releases like Zelda, Smash Bros, Yoshi's Woolly World.....So i assure it's a temporary and common occurence with Nintendo until the first party sales figures are released.

Most recent successful example of this is The Wii-U's Mario Kart 8 bundles, retail stores could not keep them on store shelves, and now none can be found anywhere except Ebay or Amazon for an astronomical price.

No they are not. If they had billions then Nintendo would price cut console prices and also would support online. Nintendo can´t do that because they just don´t have much money. Nintendo is small. They can´t even make online games than 2 exclusives and that´s all, or buy multiplatform games. Nintendo is even smaller than Activision

Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar company with enormous liquid assets and even more to be found in investments. They are by no means a small company. Relatively speaking, maybe, but they're sitting on a shit ton of money with no debt. That is not a problem for them.

#60 Posted by fgjnfgh (2650 posts) -

Sony was going bankrupt as a lot expected it before they announce PS4 back in March 2013 and we thought that it is going Sega's route. It was in real debt and it had to invest even more money for PS4's development. PS4 sales helped it, but it's still in debt due to low sales in other Sony's departments. Nintendo had frozen Wii U sales everywhere and 3DS sales didn't meet executives expectation. I haven't followed numbers lately, but I think Nintendo is doing better than Sony and Microsoft is doing better than the two. People get blinded by sales, yet they don't look at debt or law cases that affect the company.

#61 Posted by bunchanumbers (5709 posts) -

Wii U isn't dead last. It has sold about 6.6 million units to date. X1 is around 4.8. Mind you I'm using unreliable numbers but are corrected all the time. Whether or not Xbox is making money isn't really as much of a factor as it is to the others. MS has billions lying around from other ventures. They lost 4 billion on the OG Xbox. And lost billions on surface tablets too. I'm sure eventually investors will have enough of it and do something but I don't think that's in the immediate future.

As for Sony they are in pretty rough shape. Their value dropping from 120 billion to around 17 billion is all the proof you need that they are a shell of their former selves. As for Nintendo they do what they always do. Only this time they don't have a megahit on their hands like they did with Wii. They'll stay profitable and move on to the next thing.

#62 Posted by greenballer (619 posts) -

@-paranorman- said:

Can't we just argue about who has the better graphics like in the good ol' days?

lol

#63 Posted by Jacanuk (12334 posts) -

@fgjnfgh said:

Sony was going bankrupt as a lot expected it before they announce PS4 back in March 2013 and we thought that it is going Sega's route. It was in real debt and it had to invest even more money for PS4's development. PS4 sales helped it, but it's still in debt due to low sales in other Sony's departments. Nintendo had frozen Wii U sales everywhere and 3DS sales didn't meet executives expectation. I haven't followed numbers lately, but I think Nintendo is doing better than Sony and Microsoft is doing better than the two. People get blinded by sales, yet they don't look at debt or law cases that affect the company.

And what do you base that assumption on?

Also you are hopefully not suggesting that Sony was saved by the PS4 because then you clearly have no clue on how big Sony is in other fields and that their console division is actually not that big compared to their other divisions.

But of course Sony wasn't going bankrupt and the only ones who expected that are kids in system wars or laymen who have absolute no knowledge of how big Sony actually is and also how a multi billion company runs.

#64 Edited by fgjnfgh (2650 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@fgjnfgh said:

Also you are hopefully not suggesting that Sony was saved by the PS4 because then you clearly have no clue on how big Sony is in other fields and that their console division is actually not that big compared to their other divisions.

But of course Sony wasn't going bankrupt and the only ones who expected that are kids in system wars or laymen who have absolute no knowledge of how big Sony actually is and also how a multi billion company runs.

You are clearly clueless. You are the one who's making assumptions and defending Sony. I said I wasn't following numbers lately the past few months. I wasn't making assumption, their news was all over the internet last year. Sony is losing big time and it was a fact based on numbers. Their TV division hasn't even been profitable since at least nine years. Losses accumulation from over other division. Fiscal year losses as of 2014 is $1.29 billions and expecting a loss of $487 million as of fiscal year in 2015. It is sinking in debt and had to cut their laptop division. Here there doggie a bone for you:

#65 Edited by super600 (32418 posts) -

@fgjnfgh said:

@Jacanuk said:

@fgjnfgh said:

You are clearly clueless. You are the one who's making assumptions and defending Sony. I said I wasn't following numbers lately the past few months. I wasn't making assumption, their news was all over the internet last year. Sony is losing big time and it was a fact based on numbers. Their TV division hasn't even been profitable since at least nine years. Losses accumulation from over other division. Fiscal year losses as of 2014 is $1.29 billions and expecting a loss of $487 million as of fiscal year in 2015. It is sinking in debt and had to cut their laptop division. Here there doggie a bone for you:

Sony's situation improved a bit in the last year or so. The losses are actually getting smaller slowly(They were losing at least 4+ billion a year I think a couple of years ago) even though they are still losing a lot of money.I don't think sony is in danger of going bankrupt anytime soon, but they should try to improve the situation they are in currently to prevent them from going bankrupt.Sony did the right thing by getting rid of their laptop business even though they should have gotten rid of that business years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#66 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

How long has Sony been in trouble, though? They must own design patents somewhere and in part be privately funded--who knows.

#67 Posted by Jacanuk (12334 posts) -

@fgjnfgh said:

@Jacanuk said:

@fgjnfgh said:

The only one who is clueless is you. You might want to read some actual finicial sources instead of thinking that IGN has any clue what so ever.

Also the biggest loss over 800mill$ comes from their closure of the PC division and are related to that , not to mention that their Finacial, Music, Movie are well into the black, their Mobile, Game and Tv division might be in the red but have had a pretty big increase in sales, Mobile is up 29%, Game over 30% and Tv almost the same.

Not to mention that why big companies like this operates with a loss is not always a bad thing since you cannot pay tax of a loss.

But hey trust IGN and other laymen who have absolute no clue and just do like you seem to do look at numbers and go "oh boy loss be bad, sony goes bankrupt"

Avatar image for delete-easycomeeasygo
#68 Posted by delete-EasyComeEasyGo (382 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

The entire console/handheld gaming industry is suffering these days. All three manufacturers are feeling it.

The PS 4 is making record breaking sales it's not suffering they're feeling.

That's completely beside the point, the big 3 are taking a console lost, sure PS4 is doing well but Sony is still taking a loss and without a killer app game nowhere in sight, [TLOU Remastered might give them an edge and buying it day one by the way] Sony can't rely on the hype for to long.

#69 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29702 posts) -

Microsoft has the almighty Windows OS riding on it and the Xbox brand which is pretty strong BTW.

PS4 might as well be called "Sony's savior" but that Vita is dragging it down.

WiiU was a huge downside for Nintendo and I believe they're still losing money from it. 3DS is getting dragged with it, but at least Nintendo's doing something about it unlike Sony and their Vita situation.

Overall I don't think we have to worry about this stuff anytime soon.

The Big 3 ain't going anywhere.

#70 Edited by Vatusus (8237 posts) -

I literally just rolled my eyes at this thread... theres so much wrong in it

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
#71 Posted by deactivated-58bd60b980002 (2016 posts) -

Nintendo seems to barely make it but they are trying very hard to make people excited for their products and last E3 is a proof of that. They turned the 3DS around they can turn the Wii U around too. Sure it won't be spectacular but enough to make a profit in the end.

Microsoft seems to work on recovering and trying hard to make the X1 better every day if they manage to do that they will be profitable in no time.

Sony seems to be on a hype train for a long time now and the PS4 seems to be a shinning star in their dark hours.

Something that many people doesn't seem to get is : The money a compagny make in one departement isn't used to cover expenses in another departement. In other words, each departement is its own unique entity. We would need to see their Financial statement to really see where it is going bad and where it is going good. I'm pretty sure Sony try very hard to not loose all their départements because they want to still be a leading figure in the electronic worlds but it may end up only being Film, music and Playstation.

#72 Posted by fgjnfgh (2650 posts) -

@Jacanuk: Whatever your fanboysim ass say. Sony is making losses it is fact not just on IGN. Have a look at their balance sheet, it doesn't look good. You think an investor would want to invest in a company that is generating heavy losses? PS4 sales is definitely helping, but not by short time.

Avatar image for delete-simplyfatal
#73 Posted by delete-SimplyFatal (1122 posts) -

@-paranorman-: Yeah pretty easy. PC.

#74 Posted by tormentos (26637 posts) -

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

Not opinions Sony is d00med and thats a well put fact of business.

To those cows making excuses like buh teh article is Old, we still within 2 years of that prediction...

buhh buhh Opus_Rea-333 seems butthurt why is that..

Analysts Believe PS3 Will Be Sony's Last Console

http://www.gamernode.com/analysts-believe-ps3-will-be-sonys-last-console/

Prediction mean nothing,other predicted the PS3 to win the generation and also failed.

Fact is the PS4 is the best selling console in this moment something that will not change considering how MS lower the price of the unit and still was outsold silly on their best market.

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Windows profits,the xbox one is losing money and MS was accuse to hiding the losses with money won from Android patents..lol

If the xbox fail this gen there is a high probability it will be axe just like Zune was.

@foxhound_fox said:

Record breaking sales mean very little if it isn't making Sony any money.

Sony is making money on the PS4,is other divisions which are dragging down those profits reason why they sold the computer segment.

Dude Killzone sold more than 2.2 million units like in 2 months,PSN cards don't even drop from Amazon top 10 and they even beat xbox live card which use to hold that spot on amazon.

Amazon top 5 now.

1-Destiny PS4.

2-PSN gift card $20

3-PSN gift card $10

4-Destiny xbox one.

5-PSN card $50

Those first spot use to be taken by xbox live cards,which now are now on 7 and 8 spot.

Sony just need to shake off the products losing cash like they did with the PC segment.

Having endless billions doesn't save something the original xbox was axed in 4 years,and the Zune also died as well.

@tdkmillsy said:

Its not making them much, compared to losses. PS4 wont save Sony.

However its the finance division that's keeping them afloat. This is the area that may save them.

MS billions will not save the xbox from investors,which already want it dead,and all MS billions didn't save the original xbox nor saver the Zune and other failed product and services from MS.

Even if sony go down that PS brand will still exist which mean your precious xbox would continue to be a 2nd best for ever.lol

@blackace said:

@Slimmin360: Microsoft's finanace are just fine though. They just bought Nokia for a billion I think. Now they are releasing 85% of their workforce. Pretty Sad for Nokia employees, but that's what happens when your company gets bought out. Nintendo has been losing millions from the Wii U. They've had to change their profit outlook like 4 times over the last 18 months. They're still making great money from the 3DS, so they are fine. Sony continues to lose billions every year, yet their board still has faith in Kaz Hirai. No idea why, especially after they had to sell off their PC/Lapton division, sell several HQ buildings, layoff over 8000 employees and sell over $350 million in stocks. Expert analyst have already said the PS4 won't be able to save Sony if they don't make drastic changes. I hope the PS4 at least makes it through this generation. I need my games.

How MS billions saved the original xbox.? How about the Zune.?

If the xbox doesn't do close numbers to the PS4 there is a bigger change it gets axed before sony goes out of business.

#75 Posted by Jacanuk (12334 posts) -

@fgjnfgh said:

@Jacanuk: Whatever your fanboysim ass say. Sony is making losses it is fact not just on IGN. Have a look at their balance sheet, it doesn't look good. You think an investor would want to invest in a company that is generating heavy losses? PS4 sales is definitely helping, but not by short time.

Fanboysim? anyways i am not here to try to educate you to how reality is, if you think Sony is going bankrupt then by all means do so, your opinion is a laymans and moot. But if you do want to learn a bit more you could try to read some actual financial sources and not IGN where Joe Layman sits and writes stories.

Also an investor would of course be smart and know what to look for in a company not to mention be aware that there are more to a company's health than just its possible loss, again there are tons of benefits by having a loss.

#76 Posted by fgjnfgh (2650 posts) -

@Jacanuk: Ok now you are trying to say something about me that I haven't said. Don't change what I've said. I've said Sony was going bankrupt and you phrased my words by saying Sony is going bankrupt. Your comprehension skills amaze me. How on earth do you read financial articles when you even can't understand the difference between past and present verbs. The numbers IGN pull are real and I've read more than enough to know the condition of Sony's terrible financial condition last year.

#77 Edited by Jacanuk (12334 posts) -

@fgjnfgh said:

@Jacanuk: Ok now you are trying to say something about me that I haven't said. Don't change what I've said. I've said Sony was going bankrupt and you phrased my words by saying Sony is going bankrupt. Your comprehension skills amaze me. How on earth do you read financial articles when you even can't understand the difference between past and present verbs. The numbers IGN pull are real and I've read more than enough to know the condition of Sony's terrible financial condition last year.

I dont care if you use past, present or future tense about Sony, it has not or will go bankrupt in the near future, its just pure and utter idiocy to even claim this and it shows a fundamental lack of economic understanding to even claim this.

Also if you understand what you have "read" how can you even begin to make such a claim and then think Sony is saved by its console division?, a division that is operating with a loss but ust happens to be one of the many roads Sony goes down, but tell me Sony´s loss this year and next what are that because of? please enlighten me and i dont care if you go read up, because it will just educate you.

Sony corp is not just consoles, games and tv´s and yes those are pulling it down and removing a lot of income from their healthy divisions, Music, Movie, Finacial, so ask yourself this, do you think Sony would ever let 3 bad divisions pull the whole company down? no, then you also have your answer about why Sony would not or have been about to go Bankrupt.

#78 Posted by fgjnfgh (2650 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

@fgjnfgh said:

I dont care if you use past, present or future tense about Sony, it has not or will go bankrupt in the near future, its just pure and utter idiocy to even claim this and it shows a fundamental lack of economic understanding to even claim this.

Also if you understand what you have "read" how can you even begin to make such a claim and then think Sony is saved by its console division?, a division that is operating with a loss but ust happens to be one of the many roads Sony goes down, but tell me Sony´s loss this year and next what are that because of? please enlighten me and i dont care if you go read up, because it will just educate you.

Sony corp is not just consoles, games and tv´s and yes those are pulling it down and removing a lot of income from their healthy divisions, Music, Movie, Finacial, so ask yourself this, do you think Sony would ever let 3 bad divisions pull the whole company down? no, then you also have your answer about why Sony would not or have been about to go Bankrupt.

Your communication skills are literary garbage. You try to fabricate what I've said with your own words. I don't have to communicate with a retard like you because it is utterly pointless. Shame that the internet is ruined by the like of you.

#79 Posted by Jacanuk (12334 posts) -

@fgjnfgh said:
@Jacanuk said:

@fgjnfgh said:

Your communication skills are literary garbage. You try to fabricate what I've said with your own words. I don't have to communicate with a retard like you because it is utterly pointless. Shame that the internet is ruined by the like of you.

Thank you for showing your true age and skills.

I was almost about to spend time trying educate you on how the real world works. So thanks and next time instead of running out of arguments, try to read and educate yourself it always helps in a debate.

#80 Posted by fgjnfgh (2650 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@fgjnfgh said:
@Jacanuk said:

@fgjnfgh said:

Thank you for showing your true age and skills.

I was almost about to spend time trying educate you on how the real world works. So thanks and next time instead of running out of arguments, try to read and educate yourself it always helps in a debate.

No problem. Educate your self first which is a waste of time. I can see what's inside your head. NOTHING! Air comes in from your left ear and comes out of the right one. Trying to tell me to read lol

#81 Edited by Jacanuk (12334 posts) -

@fgjnfgh said:

No problem. Educate your self first which is a waste of time. I can see what's inside your head. NOTHING! Air comes in from your left ear and comes out of the right one. Trying to tell me to read lol

ROFL

Sometimes i forget just how young some users in systemwars are

#82 Posted by fgjnfgh (2650 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@fgjnfgh said:

ROFL

Sometimes i forget just how young some users in systemwars are

glad to see our elders can type these days and see keys on keyboard

#83 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (1479 posts) -

@SimplyFatal: Bullshit. SNES all day!