Hitman the only stealth series alive today it seem like?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24920 Posts

Hello friends

Throughout the years, Splinter cell died after chaos theory, MGS died, Thief died and ruined when thief 4 released.

what remain is Hitman series. only stealth series that still remain in quality and also exist.

some may argue that it is more of social adventure type than hide and sneak stealth game but still stealth. well? so is this only good stealth series remain now?

lets discuss friends.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Stealth series? Yeah....maybe. Sadly.

Plenty of stealth-focused or stealthy games out there, though!

• Alien: Isolation
  • Aragami
  • Stealth Bastard
  • Dishonored series
  • Assassin's Creed, yeah they did away with a lot of the stealth mechanics, but it's still got a lot of sneaking.
  • Deus Ex series
  • Sniper Elite series
  • Batman: Arkham series
  • Styx series
  • Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Seven: The Days Gone
  • Gunpoint
  • Shadwen

Those are just some recent (a few years) ones I can think of. I'm sure I am missing plenty.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

New Hitman games are average.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

let's not discuss as this is a terrible topic.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

For now, as a big series, yeah. At least these latest Hitman games have been good shit tho.

I'm sure we'll see a new SC eventually, but it's been a long hiatus. Skipped a gen already.

Think Thief is really outta here for good. It's entirely possible we'll see some bastardized MGS title, that's a pretty big IP to just do nothing with.

I think this genre is gonna find its footing in more indie/AA dev territory. Stuff like Shadow Tactics and Mark of the Ninja, great games.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@clone01 said:

let's not discuss as this is a terrible topic.

I concur.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

You can get Days Gone and Last of Us 2. They have stealth.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Yikes.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ghosts4ever

@SolidGame_basic said:

you mean scripted stealth?

we are talking about pure stealth franchise. and looking at every franchise. Only Hitman remains.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic

@ghosts4ever said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

we are talking about pure stealth franchise. and looking at every franchise. Only Hitman remains.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Hitman has plenty of scripted events and cutscenes. They even set it up for you.

Open your eyes already, Ghost! PS4 games are ok to play. lol.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever

@SolidGame_basic said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Hitman has plenty of scripted events and cutscenes. They even set it up for you.

Open your eyes already, Ghost! PS4 games are ok to play. lol.

Hitman "scripted" moments are all taturial. in reality Hitman is known for completing a mission with different methods, either you can kill target behind back, or making it looks like accident and leave. doing silent assasssin rating.

while last of us is action movie game where stealth is just scripted. nothing else. you cant compare these two.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic

@ghosts4ever: You mean, in Hitman, the game gives you options that it's already set up for you to play? Like, that conveniently placed disguise? Sounds scripted to me 😄 And let's not pretend you've played Last of Us.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghosts4ever

@SolidGame_basic said:

@ghosts4ever: You mean, in Hitman, the game gives you options that it's already set up for you to play? Like, that conveniently placed disguise? Sounds scripted to me 😄 And let's not pretend you've played Last of Us.

naughty dogs can try but they cannot make entire game that has even a single mission as creative as Hitman series offer.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

Even Dishonored is gone :(

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

It’s almost as if the genre has shrunk in popularity so much that the only ones left are either low-budget indies or Batman. (And that last one remains only until Rocksteady’s next game turns out to be an asymmetrical shooter with looting mechanics or some other genre.)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

One could look at Hitman and just declare it a generic cover shooter, I wouldn't, but some people feel compelled to reduce games to some kind of gameplay feature, when the mood strikes I guess.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I've not played one, but grabbed my free copy of Absolution on GoG. Looks like it's not the "fan favorite", but it's free...

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Ghosts. It took me a while to figure it out, but just now, reading yet another "there's only five games that come out that are actually worth playing," post, and it finally hit me.

Games Ghosts thinks are good: any game that's a rebooted series from the 90s.

Games Ghosts thinks are bad: literally everything else.

It all makes sense, now. I've seen through the thinly-constructed matrix.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner

I get the urge to dunk on Ghosts and I get that this more of a push back to his ignorant takes on other games. Dudes definitely talking up a bunch of shit on games he never played. But...

Hitman is a straight up stealth sandbox and it's great at it. The only game I can think of that does sandbox stealth better is MGSV (I suppose MGS3 if speaking on the degree of options even given the limited spaces). But even then, Hitman has the benefit of doing it in self contained sandboxes without all the open world bloat. More like a series of Camp Omega style layouts. Which really is what MGSV should've gone for.

So sure, Hitman might have the occasional conveniently placed thing, or somewhat scripted scenario, but it's absolutely systems driven and allows the player to flex.

Definitely not a Ghosts game.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@ghosts4ever: Ghosts. It took me a while to figure it out, but just now, reading yet another "there's only five games that come out that are actually worth playing," post, and it finally hit me.

Games Ghosts thinks are good: any game that's a rebooted series from the 90s.

Games Ghosts thinks are bad: literally everything else.

It all makes sense, now. I've seen through the thinly-constructed matrix.

lol. I get that he's a hardcore fan of his franchises (heck, I still need to play Doom Eternal). But the whole trashing games he's never played? Doesn't make sense.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

@xantufrog: It's not bad. I still played through the game three times.

Hitman purists don't like it because some of the levels are not that big and sometimes they are very linear.

But look beyond that and you still got some really amazing levels and some of the best that the stealth genre has to offer.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

For now, as a big series, yeah. At least these latest Hitman games have been good shit tho.

what kind of things did you enjoy with the episodic hitman games? i'm a bit of a stealth game fanboy but i really struggled with them.

i turned off the "opportunity revealing itself" thing because it felt too hand holdey and like i was just following onscreen prompts and depriving myself of the dynamic, opportunistic gameplay of previous games. but without them the game felt too random and unfocused, like i was just wandering round aimlessly stumbling upon clues by dumb luck rather than careful design or planning. always felt like i missed something obvious i.e. the sweet spot in between.

reminded me a little of how i felt about arkham asylum to city - on paper the open world / sandbox sounded conceptually like a great fit, but in reality not as effective and impactful as the more linear and structured game

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I recently got Hitman 1 (well you know, from this new reboot), and while i'm liking it a lot, is much more scripted than i thought it would be ... it's very restrictive and at times it's plain cheap... however, the game is a lot of fun to play, i'm glad i'm playing it and maybe i'll get Hitman 2 later on. I do miss Splinter Cell and Deus Ex Human Revolution is probably my favorite stealth game ever, but to be perfectly fair, the newer Hitman games are great as well.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@SolidGame_basic: I'm not saying the logic of it makes sense. I'm saying the pattern now makes sense. At first, I thought it was exclusively twitch FPS games. Then, the praise for Deus Ex and Mafia started, and I thought, "but usually Ghosts trashes open world games."

^^The Hitman post brought it all home. It's rebooted 90s franchises.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghosts4ever

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@SolidGame_basic: I'm not saying the logic of it makes sense. I'm saying the pattern now makes sense. At first, I thought it was exclusively twitch FPS games. Then, the praise for Deus Ex and Mafia started, and I thought, "but usually Ghosts trashes open world games."

Hitman is not open world but rather sandbox style game divided into different missions.

typical ubisoft/rockstar open world style are boring.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@ghosts4ever said:
@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Hitman is not open world but rather sandbox style game divided into different missions.

typical ubisoft/rockstar open world style are boring.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ConanTheStoner
@Macutchi said:

what kind of things did you enjoy with the episodic hitman games? i'm a bit of a stealth game fanboy but i really struggled with them.

Ha, honestly man, it's just not that fresh on my mind. And I didn't go all-in the way I have with a lot of other stealth titles.

Tough to give a descript answer, I just remember enjoying my time. Could very well be some holes in the experience that didn't stand out to me when I played.

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

lol right?

Not much consistency to the guy tbh. He hates certain things about certain games... until the games he likes do the same shit. Then they're good. Even though the other games (that are probably better) are still bad. Even though he hasn't played them.

It's probably the most fun aspect of the lounge these days, sorting through Ghosts wack ass train of thought.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Macutchi said:

Ha, honestly man, it's just not that fresh on my mind. And I didn't go all-in the way I have with a lot of other stealth titles.

Tough to give a descript answer, I just remember enjoying my time. Could very well be some holes in the experience that didn't stand out to me when I played.

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

lol right?

Not much consistency to the guy tbh. He hates certain things about certain games... until the games he likes do the same shit. Then they're good. Even though the other games (that are probably better) are still bad. Even though he hasn't played them.

It's probably the most fun aspect of the lounge these days, sorting through Ghosts wack ass train of thought.

Truthfully though, having posters like Ghosts, who are incapable of understanding their own extreme biases but post with genuine enthusiasm about the games they like is infinitely less pathetic than posters like me3x12 (currently posting as i_own_u_4ever) who tries so hard to be irritating that you feel bad for their existence.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ConanTheStoner
@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Truthfully though, having posters like Ghosts, who are incapable of understanding their own extreme biases but post with genuine enthusiasm about the games they like is infinitely less pathetic than posters like me3x12 (currently posting as i_own_u_4ever) who tries so hard to be irritating that you feel bad for their existence.

Oh for sure. Can do much worse as a poster.

Honestly I find Ghosts to be somewhat endearing at times lol. Like I always know I'm just getting into some circular nonsense argument with him, but it's entertaining enough and he doesn't take the shit too seriously.

And hey, at least he talks about games. Not hung up on sales, specs, scores, and all that other tired shit. And not some persistently toxic shit poster either.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@ConanTheStoner: Indeed. As much crap as I send Ghosts' way, I truly believe they actual care about the games they incessantly write about, ad nauseam.

As for the circular nonsense, absolutely, you're never going to get Ghosts to actually engage in a real discussion, but there's an honesty to that passion that makes it (somewhat) tolerable.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghosts4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Macutchi said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

lol right?

Hitman has always been Ghost games except absolution. See absolution is Hitman game i hate because it ruined everything that make Hitman great. Hitman reboots bring back those elements.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I'm afraid so..

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#33 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Hitman is a puzzle sandbox game with stealth as an element. You're given an objective, and can complete it in any way possible.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

What surprises me is that IO Interactive is self publishing the game. Publishing a AAA game as a small company is not an easy task.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#35 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

... last of us has sneaking mechanics...

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

It seems like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

@sakaixx said:

... last of us has sneaking mechanics...

I loved the sneaking mechanics of Spiderman as well ( Miles, Mary sections as well ).

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@magnum3000: You might be the only person on the planet that liked those portions of Spider-Man

Stealth games aren’t fun. The only reason it works in Hitman is because it’s goofy fun. Video game AI and stealth don’t work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

@magnum3000: You might be the only person on the planet that liked those portions of Spider-Man

Stealth games aren’t fun. The only reason it works in Hitman is because it’s goofy fun. Video game AI and stealth don’t work.

Have you played Spiderman PS 4? Those stealth sections were epic, Wearing stealth suit , stealth takedowns on snipers first, webbing baddies on walls without raising alarm were so much fun in the game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#40 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Who would've guessed Hitman would outlast Metal Gear Solid. Fuckonami.