History Says the 3DS is Doomed

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mrmcygan (882 posts) -

The fact is that Nintendo has never turned around the failure of a console or handheld by doing a price drop. What's more, every system they've had that had a price drop within six months turned out to be a commercial disappointment.

Now, it's easy to point to the Virtual Boy every time Nintendo sales falter, but it really is a example, and there are some unfortunate parallels between that system and the 3DS. Not to say that the 3DS is the colossal failure that the Virtual Boy ended up being, but there are some other similarities with the 3DS, and Nintendo's other consoles.

link

#3 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -
N64 and GCN were awesome though.
#4 Posted by super600 (32404 posts) -

Sorry, but Ninty has possibly stopped the 3DS from failing with that price drop.

#5 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -
Other than the Virtual Boy, none of those failed. Ya, the N64 and Gamcube didn't do as good as the NES and SNES but they still did respectively well.
#6 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33523 posts) -
Ah jeez, not this again. First off, it STILL doesn't compare to the Virtual Boy. Second off, the N64 and Gamecube were different because they released later than Sony's systems.
#7 Posted by DSmon (2220 posts) -

History also said that every Nintendo handheld has succeeded.

#8 Posted by TailBlood (944 posts) -

Waiting for the sheeps to say "But the DS..."

This is the 3DS not the DS. And it is going to make Ninty go bankrupt.

#9 Posted by TailBlood (944 posts) -

DSmon

I don't know what was taught to you in history class, but in reality, just because they have never fallen, doesn't mean the mighty will not fall.

#10 Posted by super600 (32404 posts) -

TailBlood

Can I seriously see your crystal ball right now.I seriously don't get how people predictthe price drop of a handheld and assumes the handhe;d will fail because of price drop.

#11 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33523 posts) -

TailBlood
Seriously? :| That's what people said about the Gamecube (okay, they said they'll end up like Sega), and look where they are now.
#12 Posted by DSmon (2220 posts) -

[QUOTE="DSmon"]

TailBlood

I don't know what was taught to you in history class, but in reality, just because they have never fallen, doesn't mean the mighty will not fall.

He said that every nintendo system that got a price cut failed. I brought up that all of nintendo's handheld have succeeded. So using history can't always determine what will happen.

Also, just because a system got a price drop doesn't mean it will fail.

#13 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

super600

Can I seriously see your crystal ball right now.I seriously don't get how people predictthe price drop of a handheld and assumes the handhe;d will fail because of price drop.

I know right, some people act as if a price increase would have been better. Lol.
#14 Posted by super600 (32404 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

SaltyMeatballs

I know right, some people act as if a price increase would have been better. Lol.

This war beteeen the Vit and 3DS is getting really ridiculous.

#16 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -
No one take the bait, he does this in every thread.
#17 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

The only thing there that was a big disaster was the Virtual Boy. :?

#19 Posted by super600 (32404 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

TailBlood

Can I see your crystal ball?

I know you Ninty fanboys always are in denial, but are you seriously so in denial?

• 3DS has sold 2 million unites less than the ds by this time.
  • Price cut in less than 6 months
  • Games have tanked
  • Nintendo's profits are going down (They used to go up)
  • Nintendo's former CEO is losing money, after retirement
  • Iwata is taking the blame for the 3DS's floppneess
  • Iwata admited that the 3DS is flopping
  • Desperation is setting in. Huge price drop, free games being tossed.

I don't play the waiting game. And neither does Nintendo. They will scrap the 3DS, that or they will be forced into bankrupcy.

Seriously I'm not in denial. I actualy think the steps there doing to improve sales for the 3Ds will possibly help improve 3DS sales.This handheld war is starting to get ridiculous anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#20 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

Sorry, but Ninty has possibly stopped the 3DS from failing with that price drop.

super600

Yeah, they really know how to please people. Nobody, even people that bought it initially, really wanted to pay $250. I did, and I'm not upset in the slightest. The 20 free game thing really makes the whole overpriced thing fly over the head. 3DS doomed? Man, that is funny. Come the holidays, where the 3DS is almost $100 cheaper than the Vita, WITH a bunch of MUST OWN TITLES? Imo, this is a complete turn around for the system.

#21 Posted by super600 (32404 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

Heirren

Yeah, they really know how to please people. Nobody, even people that bought it initially, really wanted to pay $250. I did, and I'm not upset in the slightest. The 20 free game thing really makes the whole overpriced thing fly over the head. 3DS doomed? Man, that is funny. Come the holidays, where the 3DS is almost $100 cheaper than the Vita, WITH a bunch of MUST OWN TITLES? Imo, this is a complete turn around for the system.

Let's just wait for Ninty and the third parties to release their games.

#22 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (8425 posts) -

If anything, it will help the 3DS more.

#23 Posted by elbert_b_23 (8247 posts) -
ign troll editors find any reason to bash nintendo
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#24 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18588 posts) -

I don't care about sales as long as there's good games for it.

#25 Posted by TailBlood (944 posts) -

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

super600

I know you Ninty fanboys always are in denial, but are you seriously so in denial?

• Games have tanked

I don't play the waiting game. And neither does Nintendo. They will scrap the 3DS, that or they will be forced into bankrupcy.

Seriously I'm not in denial. I actualy think the steps there doing to improve sales for the 3Ds will possibly help improve 3DS sales.This handheld war is starting to get ridiculous anyway.

They aren't improving, they are preventing a holocaust in Ninty, just like 97-98.

#26 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -

DSmon
Game Boy micro?
#27 Posted by AtariKidX (6991 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

TailBlood

• Games have tanked

I agree with all this....but the most funny is the huge 3ds price drop in only 5 months....Nintendo must be very desperate with the 3DS.Not even the N64&GC was have a price drop like this.....80$..??
#28 Posted by TailBlood (944 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

Heirren

:lol: Wtf? 20 free games? I thought it was 10. Jesus they are trying to get some air at this point.

#29 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33523 posts) -
ign troll editors find any reason to bash nintendoelbert_b_23
And they claim to be "fans". :roll: ScrewAttack is going their route.
#30 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

super600

Let's just wait for Ninty and the third parties to release their games.

The 3DS is just less risky, I think. People are going to expect very highly produced games on the vita, which cost a ton to make. Sony is going to have to win me over with the vita. Not because I don't want one, but because I already own a 3DS. A better looking madden or sports game? I could care less about how amazing a portable game looks. Graphics on a portable wear thin rather fast. The vita will be toppled soon after release anyways with the next ipads/etc. So that whole "wow" factor of having great visuals on a portable system will not last.

#31 Posted by super600 (32404 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]Can I see your crystal ball?

• Games have tanked

TailBlood

They aren't improving, they are preventing a holocaust in Ninty, just like 97-98.

I can use the history card too you know. Remember the PS3 and how sony made fun of everyone that couldn't afford the PS3.Remember how they were slow to react to dropping the PS3's price. Atleast Ninty was quick to realise the mistake they made.That's using history.

#32 Posted by DSmon (2220 posts) -

[QUOTE="DSmon"]

Rod90

Game Boy micro?

ok then, most of them succeeded :P

#33 Posted by Rayne718 (184 posts) -

[QUOTE="DSmon"]

TailBlood

Coming from a guy with MW3 in his sig. Dude, plz stop. Call of Duty is one of the biggest downfalls in gaming, considering how amazing COD1 & 2 were. Yet, you talk about the 3DS failing.
#34 Posted by TailBlood (944 posts) -

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]ign troll editors find any reason to bash nintendonintendoboy16

Perhaps they aren't fanboys? You can critique what you love, but being obessisive is a whole different thing.

#35 Posted by ocidax (791 posts) -

IGN need to do more research and not make subjective news. Or hire some experts, That's why i only take Gamespot seriously. Looks like fanboys sometimes.

#36 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

By that standard I guess every console for the last two gens that are not Wii or PS2 are failures? :roll:

#37 Posted by TailBlood (944 posts) -

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

super600

I can use the history card too you know. Remember the PS3 and how sony made fun of everyone that couldn't afford the PS3.Remember how they were slow to react to dropping the PS3's price. Atleast Ninty was quick to realise the mistake they made.That's using history.

Why do you keep comparing another system with the 3DS? :| Especially a console?

#38 Posted by TailBlood (944 posts) -

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

[QUOTE="DSmon"]

Rayne718

Coming from a guy with MW3 in his sig. Dude, plz stop. Call of Duty is one of the biggest downfalls in gaming, considering how amazing COD1 & 2 were. Yet, you talk about the 3DS failing.

Did you make a second account, just to say this? Hell does COD have to do with this thread? :lol:

#39 Posted by LordQuorthon (5677 posts) -

Basically everything about the 3DS and the Wii U makes me think about the Gamecube. However, both are MACHINES. MACHINES are pieces of plastic and metal that sit there waiting for software to be played. Nintendo can turn things around by releasing software that doesn't feel like Gamecube software. Both machines can have killer apps like Brain Training, Wii Sports, a Mario Kart that goes back to its SNES roots, and 2D Mario. They just seem to be reluctant to this idea because it doesn't please forum dwellers, critics and even themselves as "creative" developers who have a "creative vision" that differs from what the bigger audiences want to play.

#40 Posted by super600 (32404 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]They aren't improving, they are preventing a holocaust in Ninty, just like 97-98.

TailBlood

Why do you keep comparing another system with the 3DS? :| Especially a console?

It's to prove that the 3DS current situation s a bit different then most of the examples shown.

#41 Posted by TailBlood (944 posts) -

IGN need to do more research and not make subjective news. Or hire some experts, That's why i only take Gamespot seriously. Looks like fanboys sometimes.

ocidax

Thats odd, because when TP scored an 8.8 in Gamespot, Gamespot where called ninty haters and sony fanboys. :lol:

#42 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

The letter read, at least imo, as an apology of sorts. I am yet to read one upset post by a 3DS owner. Nintendo certainly knows how to word things.

#43 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11763 posts) -

[QUOTE="ocidax"]

TailBlood

Thats odd, because when TP scored an 8.8 in Gamespot, Gamespot where called ninty haters and sony fanboys. :lol:

I'm not taking any sides. But most of the GameSpot staff if not all from that time is gone.
#44 Posted by TailBlood (944 posts) -

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

[QUOTE="ocidax"]

Kaze_no_Mirai

I'm not taking any sides. But most of the GameSpot staff if not all from that time is gone.

If Skyward Sword flops, it doesn't matter which gamespot staff was left. Death threats will come again.

#45 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"][QUOTE="TailBlood"]Thats odd, because when TP scored an 8.8 in Gamespot, Gamespot where called ninty haters and sony fanboys. :lol:

TailBlood

If Skyward Sword flops, it doesn't matter which gamespot staff was left. Death threats will come again.

Unless it completely reinvents how motion controls are incorporated, it is going to recieve mixed reviews.

#46 Posted by topgunmv (10747 posts) -

super600

Lets wait and see.

People were saying the same thing when zelda came out.

#47 Posted by super600 (32404 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

topgunmv

Lets wait and see.

People were saying the same thing when zelda came out.

I said possibly.I didn't say it totally stop the 3DS from failing.

#48 Posted by Kenny789 (10434 posts) -
It may sound bad for Nintendo admittedly but I still think it's way too early to call the 3DS a failure.
#49 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33523 posts) -

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]ign troll editors find any reason to bash nintendoTailBlood

Perhaps they aren't fanboys? You can critique what you love, but being obessisive is a whole different thing.

True, but IGN and ScrewAttack have been criticizing Nintendo for no matter what they do. Nintendo is in a bad state of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't." Just like the Sonic franchise.
Avatar image for deactivated-58085ca3415e8
#50 Posted by deactivated-58085ca3415e8 (388 posts) -

They will scrap the 3DS, that or they will be forced into bankrupcy.TailBlood

The PS3 being sold at a massive loss will send Sony banckrupt becau.... oh wait. Hardware manufacturers distribute their machines and make returns on software.

I'll be watching you take a nice big piece of humble pie when Mario and Mario Kart come. Mario kart ALWAYS sells nintendo handhelds. Some would argue Mario Kart is more suited to handhelds than it is consoles.