High-end PCs Are the Top Priority for EA !

• 64 results
mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

It's still fairly common for PC to get average ports of console-targeted blockbuster titles, but according to Electronic Arts' CFO, it may be the other way around for his publisher's studios. Speaking at the UBS Global Technology Conference, Blake Jorgensen said the company aims for the highest spec PC, and then scales back accordingly for consoles.

The question arose during a discussion about the company's flexibility when it comes to console cycles. Moving all of its games to the Frostbite Engine has meant that dramatic upgrades only need to happen for one engine, rather than "25", according to Jorgensen. In any case, he believes Microsoft and Sony are moving towards more iterative hardware upgrades anyway, and that backwards compatibility between these iterations will stop games dying at retail, thus making investing in games less risky.

In other words, Jorgensen foresees that profit margins won't need to be scaled according to new console updates because the publisher won't need to invest in new technology so often: they're already building their games to exploit the best of what hardware is available.

"You won’t see much margin upgrade at all," he said. "We build all of our games to the highest possible spec, which is typically a high-powered PC, and as the consoles come in, [which] may not be the highest spec, we may actually dummy down the console product to meet the spec of the console. In a world where the console looks more and more like a PC, that’s good for us."

EA is on our team peasants, aka, EA is da best :P

Back to the point, EA has done a great job in terms of optimizing their games lately, BF1 is the GFX king and it runs like a dream on PC, the same goes for Titanfall 2

Here's hoping other devs follow the path as the results are good for all platforms.

Thoughts?

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

EA is on nobody's side but I can't deny it , they published Crysis, I'm greaful for that

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46182 Posts

I remember EA saying they were interested in PC gaming and then made drivel like Simcity and that canceled F2P C&C game nobody wanted.

Still, I can't deny Titanfall 2, Fifa 17 and Battlefield are incredibly well crafted PC games.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7700 Posts

Frostbite is good shit.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mjorh

@R4gn4r0k said:

I remember EA saying they were interested in PC gaming and then made drivel like Simcity and that canceled F2P C&C game nobody wanted.

Still, I can't deny Titanfall 2, Fifa 17 and Battlefield are incredibly well crafted PC games.

Yeah, they still have a long way to go, but lately they've been great with awesome ports and giving away free DLCs, On the House, and that EA access service ....however, they still have their own shitty practices

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Too bad good games arent their top priority

mjebb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 mjebb
Member since 2016 • 86 Posts

Don't think they will with Scorpio on the horizon

I see an alliance between EA and MS

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@mjorh said:

Yeah, they still have a long way to go, but lately they've been great with awesome ports and giving away free DLCs, On the House, and that EA access service ....however, they still have their own shitty practices

Yeah, a few years ago I couldn't care less about EA games and this year I've already bought 5, lol.

I also like how Origin is improving. I'm never gonna buy anything at their insane prices, but on sale stuff is nice.

I bought Mirror's Edge Catalyst not too long ago for 15 euro, that wasn't a bad deal.

But I'd like it if they brought back one of the dozens of PC franchise they are sitting on. A Simcity or C&C that wasn't designed around a DRM or F2P system. A proper game.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_master_race

@aigis said:

come to think of it EA has a good resume , The Sims 2&3 , StarWars TOR , Crysis and ... sadly they kinda ruined it for me with their shitty DRM and DlC whoring

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#10 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@mjorh:

I was gonna say something but OMG THAT IS A CUTE, LITTLE BABY!!! ?

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

With the way BF1 runs....I believe them

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Yeah, you can tell they prioritize the PC version with how incredible it looks and runs on PC.

Even my friends with 680s can run the game just fine in 1080p.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I think their Access program is a really amazing deal.

PS4 gamers miss out.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56026 Posts

Well as a Origin Member, they are right and I never have any beefs with EA, (Well maybe with Mass Effect 3 but that's another story) and I'm glad they know high-end PC are there top priority. Looking at the latest Mass Effect: Andromeda trailer, I can just imagine the PC settings are gonna be insane!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Well where the hell is Madden then?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mjorh

@beardmad said:

I think their Access program is a really amazing deal.

PS4 gamers miss out.

Can you elaborate how that Access program exactly works? i think you pay like 5$ and you can play the specified games for like 1 month ...or was it about the duration of gameplay? as i remember it was like 10hours with BF1 or sth

@killered3 said:

@mjorh:

I was gonna say something but OMG THAT IS A CUTE, LITTLE BABY!!! ?

Yeah he's so cute and hilarious :D

@aigis said:

They've been putting out some good stuff lately tho

@mjebb said:

Don't think they will with Scorpio on the horizon

I see an alliance between EA and MS

How come? i don't see that kinda connection between the two

@R4gn4r0k said:
@mjorh said:

Yeah, a few years ago I couldn't care less about EA games and this year I've already bought 5, lol.

I also like how Origin is improving. I'm never gonna buy anything at their insane prices, but on sale stuff is nice.

I bought Mirror's Edge Catalyst not too long ago for 15 euro, that wasn't a bad deal.

But I'd like it if they brought back one of the dozens of PC franchise they are sitting on. A Simcity or C&C that wasn't designed around a DRM or F2P system. A proper game.

BF1, Titanfall 2, Mirror, and the other two?

Yeah that'd be good

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Mass Effect 4
Mass Effect 4

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mjorh

@howmakewood said:

Frostbite is good shit.

@jtothamtothap said:

With the way BF1 runs....I believe them

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Yeah, you can tell they prioritize the PC version with how incredible it looks and runs on PC.

Even my friends with 680s can run the game just fine in 1080p.

Thanks to the almighty Frostbite ! man it's like the best engine ever !

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Howmakewood

@GoldenElementXL said:

Wouldn't be too surprised about it coming to PC next year when they'll most likely move it to Frostbite

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@mjorh said:

Eh, I just moved to Cities: Skylines. It's way more fun than any Simcity ever was.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_master_race

@GoldenElementXL said:

EA Canada SVP and general manager Matt Bilbey says that “PC is literally based on demand. There's still the high demand for FIFA on the PC globally because of the global appetite for the game. I think that's less so with Madden.” It’s difficult to tell sales figures for the PC version of FIFA, given it’s based on Origin rather than Steam, but it’s clearly one of the most popular games in the world.

Cam Weber, who occupies a similar position to Bilbey at EA Tiburon, primarily responsible for Madden, agrees. “Yeah, I think with Madden in particular, it used to be a good business, and then it declined and the economics just didn't make sense anymore. Then the compounding problem is that I guess in the last four or five years...as we get away from PC development, it becomes more and more difficult to get back to it.”

There is hope though. Weber says that theyre “open to it; it's just a matter of when's the right time and when does the opportunity make sense” while Bilbey thinks that “I think if [things change] and an opportunity presents itself, I think we would definitely leverage the opportunity.”

Part of the reason for this is the Frostbite engine and, presumably, the move to more PC-like consoles that make porting easier. "I think part of the vision you've heard about aligning on Frostbite as a company makes that a lot easier going forward," says Bilbey. “Frostbite is a very core PC engine that has the ability to move across consoles, up and down.”

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator

@mjorh: I'm an Origin member, yes you pay only $5 a month to play 30 games in the vault, you also get 10% discounts if you buy there games like, I can pre-order Mass Effect: Andromeda and get 10% off then I would buy the console version for it and that goes for the deluxe or super deluxe if I wanted to pre-order and buy. Right now, I'm playing Crysis 3 in the vault. I think they have a free trail if you want to try it out.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

It makes sense to target high-end PCs now, especially with these new high-end consoles.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Making them game the best it can be then scaling down it how all games should be made.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

It makes sense to target high-end PCs now, especially with these new high-end consoles.

What high end consoles? The Xbox Scorpio will literally have less power than my GPU from the middle of last year, next year. It'll be at least two generations behind high end when it launches.

Sorry to rain on your parade mate but it's just a simple fact.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@GarGx1 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

What high end consoles? The Xbox Scorpio will literally have less power than my GPU from the middle of last year, next year. It'll be at least two generations behind high end when it launches.

This!

At that point, you may as well just get a PC. Part of the appeal of consoles is not having to worry about stuff like that.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
@davillain- said:
@GarGx1 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

This!

At that point, you may as well just get a PC. Part of the appeal of consoles is not having to worry about stuff like that.

Why would I do that? I should've known better than to poke the hornet's nest anyway.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Que ME:A smile.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#29  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17792 Posts

@davillain- said:
@GarGx1 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

This!

There is no reason for them to worry. They are pretty much guaranteed the shit version of a game. They don't have to worry about quality because they never get it. LOL

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I'm going to edit an ini into and outi

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

frostbite is a great engine, no doubt about that. but EA games are designed for consoles first and foremost. if they were designed for high end pcs battlefield one wouldnt look so similar on pc and ps4.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@the_master_race said:

EA is on nobody's side but I can't deny it , they made Crysis, I'm greaful for that

Crysis is also on GoG now. I think they have the 64-bit version.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17420 Posts

Good to hear.

Mass Effect 1-3 were just console ports with no PC extras which sucked.

Had to resort to mods to get it looking decent.

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

Good to hear.

Did you mean to say.

"Had to resort to mods to get it looking even more amazing than consoles".

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17420 Posts

@jereb31 said:
@navyguy21 said:

Good to hear.

Did you mean to say.

"Had to resort to mods to get it looking even more amazing than consoles".

Yes and no.

What i mean is the PC versions were just direct console ports with no added graphical options like AA, ambient occlusion, high res textures, etc.

Mods added those things. Without mods, the only thing PC had over consoles was higher resolution and slightly better textures.

Mods made the game look a lot better, but not as good as it could had the developer actually spent time improving it for PC

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

@BassMan said:
@davillain- said:
@GarGx1 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

This!

There is no reason for them to worry. They are pretty much guaranteed the shit version of a game. They don't have to worry about quality because they never get it. LOL

Meanwhile in another thread... "I can't get COD to run properly on my pc. Steam won't give me a refund." There's literally hundreds of thousands of posts across the internet about why a game won't work on someone's pc. Some people prefer consistency when it comes to games.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@the_master_race said:

EA is on nobody's side but I can't deny it , they made Crysis, I'm greaful for that

No they didn't..... Crytek did.... EA just published it.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 the_master_race
@scatteh316 said:
@the_master_race said:

No they didn't..... Crytek did.... EA just published it.

that's true but they put their money in a PC game that high-end systems had so much trouble to run it at a proper frame rate , you hardly find a publisher who would do such a thing these days

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17807 Posts

thats the best way to do it now.

companies, like EA, that invested in higher end PC development last gen are now the developers that are consistently putting out many of the best looking games on the new consoles. compare them to bethesda (well the elder scrolls side of bethesda), who focused on the X360 spec until it retired and the difference is night and day (ID have made a cracking engine though...again they were working on high end PCs long before this gen started though).

its easier to aim high and cut than it is to aim low and build. i mean even with the PRO and scorpio, enabling better performance and/or graphical settings is going to be relatively trivial for EA games. the development effort should be pretty small (implementing some of the more unique features of the Pro will take a bit of work but, as far as i know, it wont be unique to the PRO for too long so its not a waste). itll be more a testing effort. making sure the correct settings are used to get the best performace/visuals out of the new consoles. the tech and assets are mostly already there.

i said it years ago: smart developers continually focus on using the latest tech and the best place to test that is the PC. it wont pay off immediately but it will pay off in the med to long term. tech that does appear on the PC will eventually come to consoles (and sometimes the reverse is also true).

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#41 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

Of course they are. This is what they can do with BF1.

Loading Video...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 R4gn4r0k

@mjorh: Fifa 17 and Need For Speed as well :)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24894 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

Titanfall 2 is indeed best EA publish game since Crysis 1. a miracle? EA game with no season pass??

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:

Titanfall 2 is indeed best EA publish game since Crysis 1. a miracle? EA game with no season pass??

Yeah Titanfall 2s campaign is pretty amazing.

I'm glad we are getting many solid singleplayer FPS again.

Instead of those throwaway singleplayer experiences with a multiplayer that screams 'I wanna be like COD but worse'

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Still, PC gamers getting bad console ports all the time...

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Howmakewood

@aroxx_ab said:

Still, PC gamers getting bad console ports all the time...

Majority of the multiplatform games are developed on PC, then they are ported to Consoles, so how are they bad console ports to be exact?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mjorh

@silversix_ said:
Mass Effect 4
Mass Effect 4

lmao !

Glad you're a fan of the series :D

@navyguy21 said:

Good to hear.

Which mods exactly? i haven't tried them

@R4gn4r0k said:

@mjorh: Fifa 17 and Need For Speed as well :)

Gotta grab FIFA 17, didn't like 15 and 16 but i played the demo of 17 and it was great, reminding me of the legendary Fifa 14

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

That's a shame that they are focusing on a very small percentage of gamers.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Howmakewood

@Telekill said:

That's a shame that they are focusing on a very small percentage of gamers.

It's easier to scale down than beef up from a low starting point