Hideo Konami genius to continue, will gamers be prepared this time?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts

Good news for fans of Death Stranding, energy drink man said something.

More running on the beach with a goofy ass expression.

Norman Reedus seemingly confirms Death Stranding sequel in development

"We just started the second one."

orman Reedus has seemingly confirmed a sequel to Death Stranding is in development.

In a new interview with Leo, Reedus - the actor behind lead role, Sam Porter Bridges - discussed Death Stranding and said simply: "We just started the second one."

He followed up explaining how his role came about.

"Guillermo Del Toro, who gave me my first movie, called me up and said, 'Hey, there's a guy named Hideo Kojima, he's gonna call you, just say yes.' And I go, 'What do you mean just say yes?' He goes, 'Stop being an asshole, just say yes.' Then I was in San Diego and Hideo came with a big group of people, he's from Tokyo, and he showed me what he was working on on a game called Silent Hill.

"I was blown away by what he was showing me, and I was like, 'Yes, let's do this.' It's not Ms. Pacman; it's so realistic, it's so futuristic, it's so complicated and beautiful, and I was completely blown away," he said.

"It took me maybe two or three years to finish all the MoCap sessions and everything. It takes a lot of work. And then the game came out, and it just won all these awards, and it was a huge thing, so we just started part two of that."

Death Stranding, originally released on PS4 in 2019, was a divisive game.

Its PlayStation 5 Director's Cut released last year, followed by a PC version earlier this year.

Until now, a sequel was not known to be in the works.

Eurogamer has contacted Kojima Productions for confirmation.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Wonder if everyone is ready to keep up with this charade of feigning see the brilliancy of Kojima's invisible clothes, or call these games out for what they are?

Loading Video...

Nonetheless I will enjoy watching Sony die-hards be willing to shell out $70 and not even convince anyone they're enjoying it :

Loading Video...
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22547 Posts

Yawn. 🥱

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

While the gameplay can be tedious, it had a good story.........i enjoyed it.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6847 Posts

Eeeu. This game changed my opinion on Kojima. He was a talented dev who's ego has got the best of him. Now he spends massive amounts of money on actors for a story that makes no sense.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Utter shit show of a game

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8461 Posts

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#8 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19382 Posts

@pc_rocks: You seem like a big Jim Carrey fan, my friend (I've seen you post that GIF in countless threads)... Have you watched him in the Sonic the Hedgehog movies yet?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PC_Rocks

@Jag85 said:

@pc_rocks: You seem like a big Jim Carrey fan, my friend (I've seen you post that GIF in countless threads)... Have you watched him in the Sonic the Hedgehog movies yet?

I'm a big Jim Carrey fan and yes I saw the movie. I wish he does more movies.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Mesome713  Online
Member since 2019 • 7149 Posts

I enjoyed the first movie on Youtube, will watch the second.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jag85
@pc_rocks said:

He said he's planning to retire... Which would be a shame after his comeback with the Sonic movies.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@pc_rocks said:

He said he's planning to retire... Which would be a shame after his comeback with the Sonic movies.

Sonic 2 was Jim's highest movie making since Bruce Almighty. I'd be shocked if he wouldn't come back for the 3rd time giving that this series is at his highest pay he ever got in a long time.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jag85
@davillain said:

Sonic 2 was Jim's highest movie making since Bruce Almighty. I'd be shocked if he wouldn't come back for the 3rd time giving that this series is at his highest pay he ever got in a long time.

Sonic 2 is now the second highest-grossing Jim Carrey movie of all time, after Bruce Almighty. Not sure if he's trolling or serious about retirement, but I'd be very surprised if he turns down Sonic 3.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jag85

Back on topic... I'm somewhat disappointed. I was hoping Kojima's next project would be something like Metal Gear or Silent Hill. Oh well.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38136 Posts

Why? DS sold on Kojima's name alone, and not because the game was great. I wanted him to make a horror game, not a game i'll be skipping yet again. This is disappointing to hear.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

Interesting. I still need to play the first game but I’m curious to how a potential sequel might be.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

Ah yes. Such a genius he could only make MGS games (movies). Now when he can't work on MGS anymore, he made something else. A walking simulator. But now, his true geniusness shows. He comes up with... Death Stranding 2! Omigosh. The geniusness. What's next? Death Stranding 3?! That'd be ultimately genius-y.

I find this guy and his fans pretty dumb, in case it was unclear.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

As a fan of Kojima can confirm was held back and require assistance buying groceries.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was ahead of its time.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11120 Posts

ITT: people with shit taste.

Death Stranding was a masterpiece. The weakest Kojima game is still better than the strongest of 99% of dev's games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup

Producer, designer, writer, director, writer, philosopher, artist, auteur and writer Sir Hideo Kojima San has responded.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3352 Posts

I'm ready for the gameplay but totally unprepared for his atrocious writing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Mozelleple112 said:

Death Stranding was a masterpiece. The weakest Kojima game is still better than the strongest of 99% of dev's games.

I agree. These are the people who buy Assassins Creed 264 in a loop, yet still complain about it.

Here we have an actual bonafide artist, with a vision, outside the boundaries of corporate sludge, giving us an indie game with a budget indie developers could only dream of.

We should be celebrating it.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mozelleple112

@kathaariancode: Kojima's writing is unparalleled in gaming. Only Neil Druckman comes close.

It's the gameplay of Death Stranding I wasn't *too* fond of, everything else from screenplay, cinematics, story, voice acting, sound design, game direction, OSTs etc were 10/10.

Gameplay was fine though, wish it was more like MGS5.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3352 Posts

@Mozelleple112: Damn, I couldn't disagree more.

The writing was pathetic imo. So bad that my GF came in the room during one of the cut scenes towards the end and just started laughing, asking what the hell was that. Kojima is a pretty bad writer. He explores cool themes but the wring is awful. I do agree that's unparallel, not often we see something so bad in mainstem media.

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 stacweed11
Member since 2020 • 447 Posts

I bought the directors cut on ps5 but yet to play it. I don't know how I feel about the game, but in Kojima I trust....

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43937 Posts

Another snooze fest incoming. :P

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jag85
@uninspiredcup said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

I agree. These are the people who buy Assassins Creed 264 in a loop, yet still complain about it.

Here we have an actual bonafide artist, with a vision, outside the boundaries of corporate sludge, giving us an indie game with a budget indie developers could only dream of.

We should be celebrating it.

Reminds me of a discussion I was having with Maroxad here:

Is it me or Japanese devs obliterate western devs when it comes down to rpg?

@Maroxad said:

@Jag85: That would explain why so many western games seem so content just copying Bamham combat. Easy to reproduce.

Makes gems like Mount and Blade, Doom Eternal, God of War much more easy to appreciate.

Design by committee is definately a big problem in creative mediums in general. It results in insane levels of homogenization, and if all games had this procedure, we would never have gotten Mount and Blade, or any Soulsborne, or Persona 5 (whose UI design broke so many rules).

@Jag85 said:

If you try to please everyone, you'll please no one.

This is a problem with many modern Western devs. They try to appeal to everyone. So game design just ends up becoming a checklist of things to tick off. Ubisoft is one of the infamous offenders when it comes to this.

Whereas with Japanese RPG devs, they often tend to target niche audiences. But by doing so, that helps expand a certain niche until it eventually hits the mainstream. Over a decade ago, most people didn't think niche Japanese RPGs like Persona, Nier, Souls or Monster Hunter could become big multi-million sellers internationally, yet here we are.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PC_Rocks

@Mozelleple112 said:

@kathaariancode: Kojima's writing is unparalleled in gaming. Only Neil Druckman comes close.

It's the gameplay of Death Stranding I wasn't *too* fond of, everything else from screenplay, cinematics, story, voice acting, sound design, game direction, OSTs etc were 10/10.

Gameplay was fine though, wish it was more like MGS5.

Finally someone being honest. I kept saying that people like Kojima not because of gameplay but consider his sh*t convoluted writing and story telling as something intelligent. Fapping to cutscenes and what can only be amounted to verbal diarrhea. Nobody cares about the gameplay in Kojima games.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mozelleple112

@pc_rocks: You should read again. The gameplay is fine, decent in fact. Just not a masterpiece 10/10 gameplay like Elden Ring, The Last of Us or Metal Gear Solid 5.

I liked Death Stranding's gameplay, but I do wish it was more akin to the flawless gameplay of MGS5.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PC_Rocks
@Mozelleple112 said:

@pc_rocks: You should read again. The gameplay is fine, decent in fact. Just not a masterpiece 10/10 gameplay like Elden Ring, The Last of Us or Metal Gear Solid 5.

I liked Death Stranding's gameplay, but I do wish it was more akin to the flawless gameplay of MGS5.

Oh I read it just fine. Don't be mad that your tongue slipped and you spilled out the truth. Besides I don't need you to tell me that. Most Kojimatards didn't like MGS 5 even though it had the best gameplay of any Kojima game, just because the game didn't have many cutscenes.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

@lamprey263: I'll give him another 2 games before the emperor's clothes washes away.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jag85

@madsnakehhh: Well, he's already 58 years old now. He'll be reaching retirement age in the next couple years, so he probably has about 2-3 games left in him before retiring from game design.