Hideo Kojima Defends Peace Walker Product Placement

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Hideo Kojima Defends Peace Walker Product Placement

The big boss himself wants to surprise players.

We're sure everyone has an opinion about all those Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker product tie-ins Konami announced earlier this week. Now here's an opinion from someone who truly counts: the big boss himself, Hideo Kojima.

A day after the Peace Walker press conference,
the Metal Gear series mastermind Tweeted: "Regarding the collaborations, I have one reason for doing them. It's because I want to surprise players. If the surprise and freshness were lost, I would stop the collaborations. It's different from Hollywood-****merchandizing."

The press conference saw the announcement of around 14 tie-ups for the Japanese version of Peace Walker. Product like Doritos chips, Mountain Dew, Pepsi NEX, Uniqlo t-shirts and AXE body spray will appear in the game as recovery items. Peace Walker will, in turn, get some real world exposure. Suntory will be selling special Peace Walker-themed cans of Mountain Dew. Uniqlo will sell Peace Walker shirts and will place demo kiosks in its shops.

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/108/1082621/hideo-kojima-defends-peace-walker-product-placement-20100408041052356-000.jpg

The biggest tie-in in terms of generating sales could be the crossover with Capcom's Monster Hunter. Kojima Productions has made a special area in Peace Walker where players will be able to hunt for a few giant beasts from that series. In Japan, Monster Hunter is easily PSP's biggest game, with the previous entry, known in America as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, having topped the 4 million mark in shipments.

The Monster Hunter tie-in was a huge surprise, but if you were surprised by the other tie-ins, you probably weren't around for Metal Gear Solid 4. Konami staged similar promotions for that game, although often with different brand loyalties. MGS4's Solid Snake used an iPod to play back that game's BGM. Peace Walker's Naked Snake uses a Sony Walkman (actually a variety of Walkmans -- the game includes ****c devices from the 70s, fitting given the setting).

Missing from all this talk of tie-ins is mention of money exchanging hands. It's actually possible that the tie-ins are no-money deals. Separate from Metal Gear, reports have indicated that Sega receives no money for the vast number of product placements in the Yakuza series. Sega presumably sees benefit in having Yakuza posters and related goods placed in restaurants and convenience stores throughout Japan. The Yakuza game world could also see somewhat of a reality boost with real world signs and product.

Kojima's comment that Peace Walker's product placement is different from Hollywood merchandizing would suggest that, more than direct money from the product placement, Konami is hoping to get Peace Walker's name out.

At the very least, Kojima seems to have succeeded in his goal of surprising players. Unless you stumbled upon a bag of Doritos when walking around a Costa Rican jungle in the 70s.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29732 Posts

Kojima really knows how to advertise...

emorainbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 emorainbo
Member since 2008 • 3067 Posts

*checks date* nope, its not April 1rst.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

thats brilliant

Avatar image for nintendos-mario
nintendos-mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nintendos-mario
Member since 2010 • 144 Posts

I see excessive product placement in Phantasy Star Portable 2, then in Yakuza 4, and now in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (which I am now calling Merchandise Gear $olid: Product Placement). I really do not like this trend and it was something I feared that will happen to video games years ago. I paid for a copy of a game, and I expected something I paid not be subjected to commericalism (which would make sense for something that is "free").

People complain about downloadable content in games, but product placement is something they should complain as well.

And one last thing: why the excessive product placement in high-profile Sony-exclusive games?

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23248 Posts

I see excessive product placement in Phantasy Star Portable 2, then in Yakuza 4, and now in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (which I am now calling Merchandise Gear $olid: Product Placement). I really do not like this trend and it was something I feared that will happen to video games years ago. I paid for a copy of a game, and I expected something I paid not be subjected to commericalism (which would make sense for something that is "free").

People complain about downloadable content in games, but product placement is something they should complain as well.

And one last thing: why the excessive product placement in high-profile Sony-exclusive games?

nintendos-mario

What do these product placements actually do to you or the game itself?

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendos-mario"]

Espada12

What do these product placements actually do to you or the game itself?

Good question....I could understand if a certain racing game(example) had At&T billboards every 5 feet, but this is just different. I almost understands where he is coming from because I hate in game advertising but this is blended pretty well and actually has meaning. Not gonna lie, I laughed a little at the chips bag.

I wish he..well not really, but it'd be interesting if it happened on mgs4.

Avatar image for batman_is_aweso
batman_is_aweso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 batman_is_aweso
Member since 2009 • 2762 Posts

I can see it now

gamespot awards....

winner of most despicable advertising in a game.. goes to MGS:peace walker

EDIT: that bag of doritos is bigger than boss's head!

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#9 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29732 Posts

I can see it now

gamespot awards....

batman_is_aweso

it must be the Family Package because that's bigger than most people's heads.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Sure, sure. Kojima's sold out. Triumph in MGS3 was tasteful... this is not.
Anjunaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Anjunaddict
Member since 2010 • 4178 Posts

[QUOTE="batman_is_aweso"]

I can see it now

gamespot awards....

LegatoSkyheart

it must be the Family Package because that's bigger than most people's heads.

Its a torso sized bag:P Anyway, maybe im alone here but i have no problem with product placement. I think its cool seeing real life brands in games.
black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
I've never been to bothered by product placement. to a certain extent, so in this case I don't really care.
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Note to Kojima: If the surprises are bags of Doritos and cans of Mountain Dew, the surprise is fail.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ghost392
Member since 2008 • 1011 Posts
Is it shameful... MGS touch didnt have ^_^ *plays mgs touch * (I know its not traditional MGS but its a fun shoot m up