Hermits, care to explain what makes Metro so special?

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Edited by Heil68 (57663 posts) -

I really enjoyed the first game, have yet to play LL but have it ready to play on PS3.

#102 Posted by MBirdy88 (12054 posts) -

As a hermit? nothing.... gameplay wise they are medicore.... just another linear shooter like boring last of us, and uncharted. relying on thier presentation to lul people into loving movies more than games.

#103 Edited by Supabul (4266 posts) -

@MBirdy88: You should play Halo Reach or 4 on legendary difficulty with skulls activated for tougher enemies makes Metro last light look like an easy kids game

#104 Posted by Animal-Mother (27350 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

This is another game I feel like I cannot judge until I can max it out at 60. I have a i7 3770K @ 4.5 and a gtx 690 and cannot find enough things to turn down while at 1440p. I think the last time I played I turned it down to 1080p. On my next machine I think I will follow Patrick from Giantbombs advice and leave the voice at Russian and turn on subtitles. The story seems cool but I currently cannot get past my machines limitations. I will be building a god rig this fall though. And this will be one of the first games I play.

Is it really that important that you play at 1440?

I mean FFS it looks pretty damn good at 1080

Also good tip leaving the Russian subs on.

Also what do you define as a "god rig" because I really wannt build one very soon.

As crazy as it sounds Animal, this game should be played maxed out at 1440. I did it when I built my latest rig and it just makes it a lot better.

Need really good specs for it though (lucky I do).

Not thought about leaving the Russian voice on, will have to do that.

Blegh and I bought a new IPS monitor that maxes at 1080P ugh.
But yeah what would you consist to be a god rig?
I mean mine's pretty good. But it NEEDS TO BE BETTER

#105 Posted by _Matt_ (10427 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

This is another game I feel like I cannot judge until I can max it out at 60. I have a i7 3770K @ 4.5 and a gtx 690 and cannot find enough things to turn down while at 1440p. I think the last time I played I turned it down to 1080p. On my next machine I think I will follow Patrick from Giantbombs advice and leave the voice at Russian and turn on subtitles. The story seems cool but I currently cannot get past my machines limitations. I will be building a god rig this fall though. And this will be one of the first games I play.

Also what do you define as a "god rig" because I really wannt build one very soon.

As crazy as it sounds Animal, this game should be played maxed out at 1440. I did it when I built my latest rig and it just makes it a lot better.

Hmm, anything with a GTX 780ti or better I would consider god tier.

My specs:

GTX 780 SLI

i7 3930k (hexacore)

32GB memory

I would consider mine pretty much god tier, of course you can get better, but mine can play anything out there maxed at 1440 with at the very very least 30fps, but in most cases well over 60fps.

#106 Posted by MBirdy88 (12054 posts) -

@Supabul said:

@MBirdy88: You should play Halo Reach or 4 on legendary difficulty with skulls activated for tougher enemies makes Metro last light look like an easy kids game

Halo is too slow and the gunplay is pathetically pandering to controllers. but yea they are fun in their own way.

Metro is shallow, like Crysis all about graphics to some hermits.... nowhere near the best games in their genres.

#107 Edited by Animal-Mother (27350 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

My specs:

GTX 780 SLI

i7 3930k (hexacore)

32GB memory

I would consider mine pretty much god tier, of course you can get better, but mine can play anything out there maxed at 1440 with at the very very least 30fps, but in most cases well over 60fps.

Not bad not bad.

My specs are as follows

Radeon 7970 3 Gb DDR3

AMD Phenom X6 Black Edition

Some gigabyte mobo that they told me was solid (pushing 3 years now)

16 Gigs Memory

I mean I have a solid rig and can max most stuff out.
But I want that stability with most games ( i know that's like shooting a fish in a barrel when it comes to PC games)

#108 Posted by _Matt_ (10427 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

My specs:

GTX 780 SLI

i7 3930k (hexacore)

32GB memory

Not bad not bad.

My specs are as follows

Radeon 7970 3 Gb DDR3

16 Gigs Memory

But I want that stability with most games ( i know that's like shooting a fish in a barrel when it comes to PC games)

Still seems a pretty decent rig to me. At 1080 that's really all you need for decent frame rates surely maxed out?

Although I do recommend getting a 1440 monitor, they are beautiful.

#109 Edited by Animal-Mother (27350 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

My specs:

GTX 780 SLI

i7 3930k (hexacore)

32GB memory

Not bad not bad.

My specs are as follows

Radeon 7970 3 Gb DDR3

16 Gigs Memory

Still seems a pretty decent rig to me. At 1080 that's really all you need for decent frame rates surely maxed out?

AA gets me all the time. It can cripple me in a heartbeat. Metro last light is good with it. Throw that shit on auto and you don't have a problem.

Most other games though I have to turn it off

#110 Posted by _Matt_ (10427 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

My specs:

GTX 780 SLI

i7 3930k (hexacore)

32GB memory

Not bad not bad.

My specs are as follows

Radeon 7970 3 Gb DDR3

16 Gigs Memory

AA gets me all the time. It can cripple me in a heartbeat. Metro last light is good with it. Throw that shit on auto and you don't have a problem.

Ah, how much AA do you try to use?

Personally I don't normally use any more than 4x AA as just don't see the difference beyond that for modern games.

#111 Edited by Animal-Mother (27350 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

My specs:

GTX 780 SLI

i7 3930k (hexacore)

32GB memory

Not bad not bad.

My specs are as follows

Radeon 7970 3 Gb DDR3

16 Gigs Memory

Personally I don't normally use any more than 4x AA as just don't see the difference beyond that for modern games.

Anywhere between 2-4 works for me. Depends on the game.

But I drop anywhere from 15-30 frames if I throw it any higher.

When LOTS ( i mean a shit ton) of action is happening my framerate can cut in half momentarily.

But I wanna throw together an Intel I7 build together with a 780 Ti (Been an ATI guy for a while, always heard nvidia and intel were better.)

And just build a beast of a machine.,'

Quick question. I'm not to keen on intel. How do those processors work core wise? I see all the numbers but they are ever so confusing.

#113 Posted by _Matt_ (10427 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

My specs:

GTX 780 SLI

i7 3930k (hexacore)

32GB memory

Not bad not bad.

My specs are as follows

Radeon 7970 3 Gb DDR3

16 Gigs Memory

When LOTS ( i mean a shit ton) of action is happening my framerate can cut in half momentarily.

But I wanna throw together an Intel I7 build together with a 780 Ti (Been an ATI guy for a while, always heard nvidia and intel were better.)

Quick question. I'm not to keen on intel. How do those processors work core wise? I see all the numbers but they are ever so confusing.

Ah fair cop. Yeah people seem to say Nvidia and Intel are better... but I don't think it's as clear cut as that. I think for high end rigs yes Intel + Nvidia is best, but for the lower range, it would often be better to go AMD in my eyes...

I'm not following what you mean by core wise, are you referring to the socket numbers? or the general model numbers?

If you are actually asking how they work core and workflow wise, I have no idea, it is beyond me.

#114 Posted by Animal-Mother (27350 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@_Matt_ said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

My specs:

GTX 780 SLI

i7 3930k (hexacore)

32GB memory

Not bad not bad.

My specs are as follows

Radeon 7970 3 Gb DDR3

16 Gigs Memory

Ah fair cop. Yeah people seem to say Nvidia and Intel are better... but I don't think it's as clear cut as that. I think for high end rigs yes Intel + Nvidia is best, but for the lower range, it would often be better to go AMD in my eyes...

I'm not following what you mean by core wise, are you referring to the socket numbers? or the general model numbers?

If you are actually asking how they work core and workflow wise, I have no idea, it is beyond me.

Well the way I see it is you got like i7 sandy bridge builds and haswell or i3 maxwell yada yada and all this other crazy shit and I have no idea.
And when I mean core wise. I know AMD processors easily bottle neck high end gear if you're not boastin a 6 core+ (not that 8 are needed but the cushion is nice)
Are the Intel 4 cores really reliable? Do they bottle neck your system at all?

#115 Posted by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

Only played the first one, it was okayish but nothing ill ever touch again

#116 Edited by glez13 (9744 posts) -

LL was a good game it had some good levels. 2023 I'm only playing right now just because it was free and I'm forcing it, very mediocre game.

#117 Edited by Maddie_Larkin (7431 posts) -

Well first off as others pointed out, it was well recived on all platforms. It just looks better on the PC, gameplay is more or less the same.

Secondly, it is one of the few storybased SP FPS games weve seen in a long time.

Other then that? I honestly can't tell you TC; I liked 2033 WAY more then Last light, and if you can find it Singularity is a game I prefer more then both, If you want a game soley on PC I consider the new Shadow Warrior a better game too. So honestly? I could not tell you. It was good, but not great in my opinion.

#118 Edited by MK-Professor (4137 posts) -

I like it, but I am to lazy to right down a review on why I like it, you can simply look other people's reviews on why they like it.

#120 Edited by jg4xchamp (61445 posts) -

It's not special. It's not great.

It is merely good. STALKER now that's a rich FPS experience. Metro? is a corridor shooter with an eastern-european flare to the writing, atmosphere, and characters. Albeit with terrible Russian accents(trust me, makes no sense to me either). 2033 sucks, out right. Last Light is a good corridor shooter though. The thing is it's better played in ranger mode, as that's the only way the gameplay is actually interesting enough, and not just a corridor shooter with a nice paint job.

Visually it's impressive as **** though. On a good rig that lighting engine for my money is unmatched. So fucking good, and I'm not big on getting invested in how good a game looks.

The real issue with Metro, is that it doesn't fit the SNiper narrative. Sniper narrative is at it's best when it's overly elitist about games legit more nuanced and deeper than what SW plebs are hyping. That shit works when he's hyping up Shadow of Chernobyl. But Metro Last Light? That shit is Eastern-European FPS for dummies.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#121 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

It's really not that special, don't buy into the hype some of these guys around here like to portray.

Gameplay wise it's a step above crysis 3 for me, but not a huge one. Almost every game hermits use as their tour de force of graphical fortitude is like that.

Stalker was infinitely better.

#122 Posted by Gaming-Planet (18540 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:
@GabranthXIII said:

@Gaming-Planet said:

M:LL was 8/10 at best for me.

Didn't understand the praise either. There was nothing jaw dropping or innovative about it. We've all seen this formula played before. Even though Half Life 2 is pretty dated, I enjoyed that more and the game mechanics didn't bore me as much.

"Didn't understand the praise either."

You think 8 is low score? Lol.

lol.

make your mind cutie animu avatar. and laso half life 2 is not dated it still play better than any other shooter on market.

I would say the AI is pretty dated and predictable.

#123 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

Hermits, care to explain what makes Metro so special?

No.

#124 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

Its a pathetic excuse to justify hermits spending their life savings on their precious rigs. I have ps2 games that are exclusive and destroy Metro.

#125 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

Its a pathetic excuse to justify hermits spending their life savings on their precious rigs. I have ps2 games that are exclusive and destroy Metro.

-2/10

#126 Edited by MonsieurX (36672 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

Black?

#127 Posted by scatteh316 (6865 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

I play these exclusives PS2 games on my precious rig...... at 2560x1440..... at 60fps...... with 4x Super sampling....and they destroy anything your pathetic PS2 can do..

#128 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

I play these exclusives PS2 games on my precious rig...... at 2560x1440..... at 60fps...... with 4x Super sampling....and they destroy anything your pathetic PS2 can do..

all those numbers don't make your pirated games any more fun. fail.

#129 Edited by scatteh316 (6865 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

They're run from the genuine game disk thank you very much... so yes, you fail.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
#130 Posted by princeofshapeir (16587 posts) -

Since a wide range of opinions have been expressed in this thread, I'll attempt to summarize the positives discussed thus far for the Metro series. Hopefully this list doesn't prove too long.

• Atmosphere

#131 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

who cares, pc gaming is boring to me. all the best games are console exclusives. thanks!

#132 Posted by scatteh316 (6865 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

who cares, pc gaming is boring to me. all the best games are console exclusives. thanks!

Reviews say different ;)

And if you're happy with sub-HD, 30fps or less, crappy image quality then all the more power to you sir...

I however, like to play games as the developer intended.

#133 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Reviews say different ;)

And if you're happy with sub-HD, 30fps or less, crappy image quality then all the more power to you sir...

no I play at 1080p 60 fps...yes pc has some high reviewed games but most of them are boring RTS games haha. and indie trash haha. also your highest rated game half life 2 is a multiplat. therefore pc sucks.

#134 Posted by MonsieurX (36672 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

no I play at 1080p 60 fps...yes pc has some high reviewed games but most of them are boring RTS games haha. and indie trash haha. also your highest rated game half life 2 is a multiplat. therefore pc sucks.

So,I guess PS4 is trash.

Journey(goty here) is trash

Few games that scored 10 are on PC

And PC has more diversity than consoles,but thanks to your uninformed opinion

#136 Posted by scatteh316 (6865 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames: And what platform do you play at 1080p 60fps? Because it sure as hell ain't a console.

#137 Posted by 7MDMA (315 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Reviews say different ;)

This peasant has been very verbose lately. I think he's dissapointed that he's gaming on crappy gimped PC AKA PeasantStation 4 with a tablet CPU that averages 30 FPS and only plays games on medium settings even with horrible draw distance.

#138 Posted by AznbkdX (4175 posts) -

Honestly I thought it was average too.

Oh and the game is multiplat, but I can see why you would want answers from the PC community.

#139 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@7mdma said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Reviews say different ;)

This peasant has been very verbose lately. I think he's dissapointed that he's gaming on crappy gimped PC AKA PeasantStation 4 with a tablet CPU that averages 30 FPS and only plays games on medium settings even with horrible draw distance.

your so mad that you spent your life savings on a crappy "rig" (lol), and all you have to play is Civilization part 89 expansion 50 dlc 33.

lol. the hermits have been destroyed.

#140 Posted by 7MDMA (315 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@7mdma said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@scatteh316 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Reviews say different ;)

your so mad that you spent your life savings on a crappy "rig" (lol), and all you have to play is Civilization part 89 expansion 50 dlc 33.

lol. the hermits have been destroyed.

You're a drone. Keep covering your eyes and ears dude.