Hermits Beware: Next consoles will be biggest jump since PS1-PS2

• 143 results
Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
#1 Posted by DarthaPerkinjan (1229 posts) -

Microsoft and Sony are not holding back on next gen. The PS5 and Scarlett will crush 99.99% of PCs.

Zen 2. 8k @ 120 fps. Rumored 24gbs GDDR6. Custom SSD.

PC will become obsolete after these monsters hit the shelves. Even Google Stadia will be a better choice then PC.

#2 Edited by sakaiXx (5505 posts) -

Probably a copy thread but anyhow, what is the teraflops power of midrange pc nowadays? RTX 2060-2070 or AMD equivalent range is how many teraflops?

If it surpass that, damn next gen is looking mighty fine. Probably will have 60fps Bloodborne update nice

#3 Edited by AdobeArtist (25156 posts) -

😶

sssiiiiiiiighhhhh....

Console cheerleaders never learn.

#4 Posted by mazuiface (897 posts) -

8K and 120fps don't mean that the games will run at 8k 120fps at all. It will either be 8k 30fps or 1440-2160 @ 120fps depending on the game.

#6 Posted by dxmcat (2633 posts) -

drugs are bad.

#7 Posted by Subspecies (510 posts) -

Come on, dude. 99.99%? Really?

#8 Posted by Fedor (4982 posts) -

Yea, that 5700 XT equivalent is so scary.

#9 Posted by rmpumper (617 posts) -

No it won't. The biggest jump will be in load times because of SSDs, but PC gamers have been using those since last gen.

#10 Posted by tenaka2 (17181 posts) -

The peasants are revolting.

#11 Posted by NoodleFighter (10254 posts) -

Oh man if only my PC had the ability to swap out hardware with more powerful parts

#12 Posted by npiet1 (2257 posts) -

@rmpumper: yeah but the ssds on PC still don't load as fast as what's shown not by much though.

#13 Posted by AJStyles (836 posts) -

PC gamers are already behind consoles. The average steam user has some trash tier PC that plays games at 1080p or less.

Go google it. Most PC lamers are playing on ancient PC’s worse than the PS4/Xbone.

#14 Posted by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

My biggest worry is patch sizes.

It took me nearly 30 hours to download the 40GB Days Gone update the other week. (yes, the rubbish game has 40GB update, which still does not fix the bugs!!!)

And I'm betting on PS5, patches will be even bigger than that. Especially on those 'sterling' exclusives...

So, I'll pass on the next gen. I've no intention to pay meself sick for speedy internet, just so I can download updates faster.

#15 Edited by NUSNA_Moebius (118 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

@rmpumper: yeah but the ssds on PC still don't load as fast as what's shown not by much though.

The consoles are probably just a custom version of AMD's StoreMI technology. You can optimize to hell and back when you're in a closed box with standardized hardware and I think it'll be advantageous for consoles in the short terms. But PC SSD solutions (including StoreMI on PCs) will continue to march ahead in read/write speed and as per usual, just brute force their way to superiority.

#16 Posted by rmpumper (617 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

What was shown was a single PS4 exclusive loading on a 5400 HDD vs. their SSD tech. Show me the load time of a multiplat to compare to PC, then we'll talk. But even if the PS5 load times are 4x faster than PC, why would 0.5s vs 2s be a big deal?

#17 Posted by Fedor (4982 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

Good thing PCIe 4.0 is coming.

#18 Posted by scatteh316 (10207 posts) -

It's the super fast SSD's the PC's will struggle with.......... PC is so fragmented and there's such a wide range of HDD/SSD options that they can never push it on PC as they'll be.

Data streaming and load times is something PC will probably never catch up with....... CPU and GPU wise it'll be fine.

#19 Posted by scatteh316 (10207 posts) -
@rmpumper said:

No it won't. The biggest jump will be in load times because of SSDs, but PC gamers have been using those since last gen.

The biggest jump will actually be in data and texture streaming......... being able to stream such a high amount of data will do wonders for games and that is something you won't see on PC for a good few years.

#20 Posted by npiet1 (2257 posts) -

@fedor: yeah but that takes time. Most people don't go a head and buy the tech as soon as it comes out unlike consoles.

@nusna_moebius: yeah apparently the SSD runs like ram or something and that's the reason for the speed. I completely agree that PC will be faster at some point just not now.

#21 Posted by rmpumper (617 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:

It's the super fast SSD's the PC's will struggle with.......... PC is so fragmented and there's such a wide range of HDD/SSD options that they can never push it on PC as they'll be.

Data streaming and load times is something PC will probably never catch up with....... CPU and GPU wise it'll be fine.

Depends on game engine. Trash like Forstbite takes over a minute to load on both, but other engines load 5x faster on a SATA SSD. That's why that SONY load time demo is full of shit.

Loading Video...

#22 Posted by dagubot (1316 posts) -

@ajstyles: Are you stupid or are you stupid?

#23 Posted by Shewgenja (21452 posts) -

It's actually a very good thing for PC gamers that consoles will stop dragging PC gaming down so much. However, its foolish to think that PC hardware and the development environment wont shift with it. By 2023 or 2024, PS5 and Scarlet will be holding things back again.

#24 Posted by Fedor (4982 posts) -

@npiet1: It'll be adopted faster than you think.

#25 Posted by Howmakewood (5881 posts) -

Thanks for the warning, I'm truly shaken now

#27 Posted by BassMan (10208 posts) -

@DarthaPerkinjan:

#28 Edited by uninspiredcup (33426 posts) -

People say this every gen.

6 months later they go oddly quiet.

#29 Edited by ronvalencia (27867 posts) -

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Microsoft and Sony are not holding back on next gen. The PS5 and Scarlett will crush 99.99% of PCs.

PC will become obsolete after these monsters hit the shelves. Even Google Stadia will be a better choice then PC.

5700 XT already has 251 mm2 size chip which is similar to RX-480's 232 mm2 size chip for PS4 Pro, 7870's 212 mm2 size chip for PS4 and NVIDIA RSX's 258 mm2 size chip for PS3.

Sony is consistent with their GPU area size selection since PS3.

X1X has a GPU somewhere in 280 mm2 area size range which is largest GPU area size for a game console.

5700 XT's 251 mm2 area size would probably increase with confirmed hardware accelerated ray-tracing on Xbox Scarlet.

#30 Posted by getyeryayasout (12330 posts) -

@dxmcat said:

drugs are bad.

Flagged!

#31 Posted by Litchie (23893 posts) -

Sure man. Whatever you say.

#32 Posted by remiks00 (3817 posts) -

Same shit, new gen.

#33 Posted by npiet1 (2257 posts) -

@fedor said:

@npiet1: It'll be adopted faster than you think.

Probably the same speed as DDR4, SSD's etc. So not really.

#34 Posted by IgGy621985 (5499 posts) -
@DarthaPerkinjan said:

The PS5 and Scarlett will crush 99.99% of PCs.

For the first month. AMD and NVIDIA then announce new chips, and there goes the advantage. It was always like that, and always will be. Sorry, bud.

Also, more like 50% of PCs, if we count those office machines...

But I'm happy consoles are catching up with technologies that PC gamers have enjoyed through the past years.

#35 Posted by djoffer (1323 posts) -

@ajstyles: lol and what do you think the average resolution of TVs are? I’ll give you a hint, it isn’t a 4K tv you will see in most people’s home..

#36 Posted by sakaiXx (5505 posts) -

@IgGy621985 said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:

For the first month. AMD and NVIDIA then announce new chips, and there goes the advantage. It was always like that, and always will be. Sorry, bud.

But I'm happy consoles are catching up with technologies that PC gamers have enjoyed through the past years.

office machines don't use dedicated gpu. its for people like me surfing around when there's no work.

#37 Edited by ronvalencia (27867 posts) -

@sakaixx said:
@IgGy621985 said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:

office machines don't use dedicated gpu. its for people like me surfing around when there's no work.

Blame Intel for equipping office PCs with crappy IGP. Intel's incoming 11 gen IGP is tile render based design, hence less reliant on it's shared memory bus.

Intel needs to improve it's IGP when AMD improves it's CPU.

NAVI based IGP with 11 CU to 20 CU on PC APU would be a killer "office" IGP when coupled with Zen v2 CPU.

Zen v2 would be hard to ignore for Microsoft's Surface PC products.

#38 Posted by scatteh316 (10207 posts) -

@rmpumper said:
@scatteh316 said:

Depends on game engine. Trash like Forstbite takes over a minute to load on both, but other engines load 5x faster on a SATA SSD. That's why that SONY load time demo is full of shit.

DATA STREAMING................. that is all.

#39 Posted by DaVillain- (36572 posts) -

As a PC gamer, I'm just glad to see console gamers are getting something good that's closer to PC standards but they still gotta pay for online though which is disappointing.

#40 Posted by Archangel3371 (27978 posts) -

Meh. While I certainly appreciate some power in my consoles it’s not really the be all end all for me. I find consoles more convenient plus I like that I can still get most of my games on a physical format.

#41 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25255 posts) -

K. Good luck beating the 9900k and 2080 Ti.

#42 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (8381 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:
@rmpumper said:

The biggest jump will actually be in data and texture streaming......... being able to stream such a high amount of data will do wonders for games and that is something you won't see on PC for a good few years.

But here's the thing, it's the biggest jump for consoles. Consoles will now go from very slow loading, to very fast loading. But PCs were never slow at loading. Loading my steam games from my 2TB WD Black HDD is vastly quicker than loading speeds on consoles for example, and that's just a HDD, games seem to load in just a matter of seconds.

Also there MAY possibly be other avenues on the PC to explore for more speed. Throwing some ideas out there, some may or may not work, but perhaps the standard HDD + common SSD (slower option), to Optane (very fast, but expensive), to maybe a HDD + or SSD + system RAM caching (Insanely fast) if they could pull it off, but that may require more than the standard 16GB of RAM... Many SSDs come with software and drivers that allow for system RAM caching taking something like 4GBs of my 16GBs of RAM, which it uses for read and writes, the benefits also that it minimises the small random writes which apparently wear out ssds unless I misunderstood that part. But after you turn that option on and then use a speed testing program, suddenly the read and write speeds are insane.

That said, loading has always been fast on the PC to the point where I don't think it's an issue imo.

But sure, I don't see there being a custom SSD on PCs designed in exactly the same way as the PS4, but there may be other avenues which come close enough (or exceed in the case of RAM caching).

I think what else you may see are special hybrid HDD/SSDs for gamers from WD, Seagate etc which have some sort of custom SSD tech built into them perhaps, like a new line of the Seagate Firecuda's. That may be one of the more affordable options I guess. That could be the closest alternative.

#43 Posted by tormentos (29088 posts) -

While i agree the jump is good is not the biggest i don't thik GPU wise MS can get a GPU 3 times stronger than the xbox one X,sony can squeeze maybe 4 times but i doubt it,they will be powerful sure.

But PC is safe as always is never ending and you can pile GPU in sli if you feel like it.

Alto i think you were jocking.

#44 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8381 posts) -

@tormentos said:

While i agree the jump is good is not the biggest i don't thik GPU wise MS can get a GPU 3 times stronger than the xbox one X,sony can squeeze maybe 4 times but i doubt it,they will be powerful sure.

But PC is safe as always is never ending and you can pile GPU in sli if you feel like it.

Alto i think you were jocking.

I was thinking the same. They have to keep it in the same console budget around £400. Unless the Lockhart is a £300+ decent performance machine and the Anaconda is a £450+ highend machine. Then they could pull it off.

#45 Posted by tormentos (29088 posts) -

@rmpumper said:

Loading Video...

In what sense it was bullshit? They loaded in 0.8 second the Pro took 8 secons by comparison,now i don't know if all games will load like that,but that was hell fast.

@ronvalencia said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:

5700 XT already has 251 mm2 size chip which is similar to RX-480's 232 mm2 size chip for PS4 Pro, 7870's 212 mm2 size chip for PS4 and NVIDIA RSX's 258 mm2 size chip for PS3.

Sony is consistent with their GPU area size selection since PS3.

X1X has a GPU somewhere in 280 mm2 area size range which is largest GPU area size for a game console.

5700 XT's 251 mm2 area size would probably increase with confirmed hardware accelerated ray-tracing on Xbox Scarlet.

Again what the fu** does chip size aread have to do with what you quoted,even more trying to hype hardware ray tracing as granted only on xbox when sony never say what solution they had.

The argument in this thread wasn't even xbox vs PS it was PC vs consoles and not even then can you stop sucking it to MS.

#46 Edited by Sevenizz (3846 posts) -

The ps1 to ps2 were big jumps? They both looked terrible compared to their competitors.

#47 Posted by I_P_Daily (11818 posts) -

@henrythefifth said:

My biggest worry is patch sizes.

It took me nearly 30 hours to download the 40GB Days Gone update the other week. (yes, the rubbish game has 40GB update, which still does not fix the bugs!!!)

And I'm betting on PS5, patches will be even bigger than that. Especially on those 'sterling' exclusives...

So, I'll pass on the next gen. I've no intention to pay meself sick for speedy internet, just so I can download updates faster.

You must pay for dial up lol.

#48 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31020 posts) -

It's the exact opposite: consoles are catching up.

PC gamers have been enjoying things like ultra settings, high refresh rates and 4k for years.

#49 Posted by tormentos (29088 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

The ps1 to ps2 were big jumps? They both looked terrible compared to their competitors.

What console was stronger than the PS2 in 2000?

Non did the xbox arrived almost 2 years after the PS2 in fact 20 months after,to picture this the xbox one X came 1 year after the Pro as is 50% stronger,what MS did wasn't revolution is not like the xbox came head to head with sony.

Worse many PS2 games looked quite great despite the power difference.

The PS1 was weaker since launch but the PS2 is a completely different story.

Games like tekken 5 belonged on the xbox rather than on something like the PS2 and sites notice it as well.

The jump from PS1 to PS2 was HUGE which is what he was talking about.

#50 Edited by BoxRekt (1415 posts) -

Lot's of damage control for PC gamers who spent $1000+ on their hardware thinking they were special when their generic configurations will get shat on by $500 consoles in 1 years time and hermits will have to spend another $800 just to say they are getting 10% better performance.

What a silly bunch of insecure dopes.

Graphically speaking, there isn't any PC configuration you have right now, no matter how much you spent, that will be superior to next gen consoles. Next gen consoles already have tech that is SUPERIOR to whatever is in your rig right now and there is no damage control to change that because the tech in next gen consoles isn't even out right now. FACT!

Unlike your generic PC hardware setups, next gen consoles will have custom tech that push their unreleased next gen PC components even further than the standard stuff you'll buy of the shelf.

It's over for you PC guys who want to brag about resolution and framerate as the last reasons why you claim PC is superior.

You're literally going to have to upgrade your PC to the point to where you're playing all your games in 8k 60fps before you'll be able claim "superiority" over consoles again lol good luck with that.