Have you sent in your crappy Joy Cons yet?

• 53 results
getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 12711 Posts

I just shipped my launch Joy Cons back to Nintendo for the free repair. They got the drift real hard, so I Googled 'how to' and followed the links which led me to Nintendo Customer Support, and from there I followed the appropriate links to begin the return service, and if you haven't done so yet, I recommend that you do the same. Even if it's not an issue now, it likely will be. Best to take care of it while it's free.

Now from what I gather, I'll be Joy-less (more so, anyway) for about a week and can use my Pro controller in the meantime, so not really a big deal. It has me curious though, have any of you gone through the process, and what was your experience? Got the drift? Get my drift? Share with the class.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 11921 Posts

Mine still haven't had any issues - I guess I'm lucky

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By getyeryayasout

@xantufrog: The problem is a flaw in the design. It's not a matter of 'if', but 'when'.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I hope the Switch mini doesn't have drift.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 getyeryayasout

Just took apart my Pro controller and used scotch tape to fix it's inconsistent d-pad. You're the king of controllers, Nintendo. Get your shit together.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4246 Posts

Haven't had any issues with mine so far, but if they do go wonky then at least that's another excuse I can use for sucking at videogames!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28986 Posts

Not yet but I really need to. The drift in my left joycon has gotten more annoying.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6317 Posts

I have a launch switch and my joy-cons don't have this drift.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 15164 Posts

Yeah I did, it's cool that we get free repairs but they need to rework that design.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24824 Posts

Yes, I had the drift issue on my left joycon. Bought some electronic cleaner and sprayed a little under the stick. The drifting is 100% gone now, so I really recommend trying this if you have the drift issue. Beats sending it in to Nin and wait for weeks to get it back.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Litchie
@getyeryayasout said:

Just took apart my Pro controller and used scotch tape to fix it's inconsistent d-pad. You're the king of controllers, Nintendo. Get your shit together.

Was that easy to do? I haven't really bothered since I don't use the d-pad for any game I currently own. If I had more fighting games I probably would've.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2073 Posts

I’ve had mine since release and haven’t had any issues yet. Seems I got lucky

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clone01
Member since 2003 • 27618 Posts

I guess I've been lucky with mine so far.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 getyeryayasout

@Litchie: It was easy enough. Followed a couple different YouTube videos to get all the info I needed. It took me an hour or so, but now that I know what to do it would take 10 minutes to do it again.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36438 Posts

Good thing use a fight-stick with SFIITFC or they probably would be borked. Be very, very, not very happy chappy.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 18568 Posts

Soooo.... Let me tell you how I took care of this.

Gamestop offered an increased trade in value for switch recently and made it so that by trading in my switch for the new better battery would only cost me 75 bucks....

New joy cons cost 80 I believe.

I put drifty, joy"less" cons on old switch... Traded it In and for 5 dollars less than the price if a new joy cons I updated my entire switch and have new joy cons!

Winner winner chicken dinner.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14669 Posts

I'm lucky so far yas, no drift here yet. Better hold out for Ori or ima gonna be pissed.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

You might as well sell the switch while you still can get money for it. It’s a pretty bad system and people are realizing it.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#19 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6176 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

@Litchie: It was easy enough. Followed a couple different YouTube videos to get all the info I needed. It took me an hour or so, but now that I know what to do it would take 10 minutes to do it again.

Was it shipped to Seattle (Redmond)?

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 getyeryayasout

@Coolyfett: Nope. Shipped to California.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 getyeryayasout

@MirkoS77: Ori should be a perfect addition to the Switch, and I'm really looking forward to playing it again.

Just make sure to send them back for repair at some point while Nintendo is still footing the bill. They're currently taking any and all of them back, no questions asked. Do it during a week that your playing something else, you won't even miss 'em.

@TheEroica: Stick it to The Man, I like your style.

Checked out Blasphemous yet? I'm digging it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEroica  Moderator

@getyeryayasout: I've almost bought it 5 times.... Haha. I'm playing hollow knight finally so I can't talk myself into buying it right now, but it's on the ever expanding wishlist.

I have Zelda and Witcher pre installed though ready to pop.

Switch is seriously an overflow of content right now. I'll never keep up.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 getyeryayasout

@TheEroica: It doesn't re-invent the wheel, but it's a very solid 'vania clone. You'll like it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheEroica  Moderator

@getyeryayasout: looks gory!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xantufrog  Moderator

@getyeryayasout: I understand that - I'm just saying, haven't had an issue yet. I did get mine in Fall of 2017 - maybe Nintendo had quietly rectified the issue in new shipments by then?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#26 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36072 Posts

Mine works flawlessly since I haven't touched the system in a year.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 44959 Posts

Yup. Sent mine in and got back week or so later

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 getyeryayasout
@xantufrog said:

@getyeryayasout: I understand that - I'm just saying, haven't had an issue yet. I did get mine in Fall of 2017 - maybe Nintendo had quietly rectified the issue in new shipments by then?

That's possible, though I doubt anyone outside of Nintendo will ever know. I'm curious for how long they will offer to repair them. Prior to making it free, the cost of having Nintendo repair your Joy Con was nearly the same cost as a new controller (around $40). They can't like spending all that money rather than taking it in.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 13548 Posts

I tried to deal with Nintendo's customer "support" before. I bought a 3DS XL and within 2 days the pin broke that keeps the carts in once you push them into the DS so it would just pop back out and thus not allow us to play games on the thing.

So Nintendo said it was not covered under the warranty and if they were to replace it I would have to pay for it, of course I told them where to go and took it back to where I bought it a week or so earlier and got a replacement and let them deal with Nintendo.

I was going to get my son a Switch for his birthday but after hearing this that's not going to happen.

AJuiceMatts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AJuiceMatts
Member since 2019 • 71 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

@xantufrog: The problem is a flaw in the design. It's not a matter of 'if', but 'when'.

not true. In fact only about 11% of joy cons seem to be suffering from the issue. It's not a widespread problem. Which is in part why Nintendo took so long to get this up and running.

Had my joy cons from day 1, no issues.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Litchie

@ajuicematts said:
@getyeryayasout said:

not true. In fact only about 11% of joy cons seem to be suffering from the issue. It's not a widespread problem. Which is in part why Nintendo took so long to get this up and running.

Pretty sure Nintendo used a bad part inside the joycon causing the drifting. This part can break down easily, making the joycon drift. That means that you're basically lucky yours' hasn't started to drift yet, or maybe you use your joycon analogue sticks more carefully than others.

I don't know where you got the 11% thing from, but it doesn't really mean anything. A lot of people will get the problem soon. A lot of people with the problem haven't reported their problem.

I thought it was a bit weird that electroinc cleaner fixed it for me. Maybe I didn't have the drift issue that others have, and just had some dirt in there causing the drifting. Not sure, but I'm not complaining that it fixed it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Litchie
@i_p_daily said:

I was going to get my son a Switch for his birthday but after hearing this that's not going to happen.

That some joycons can drift is basically the only problem Switch has. And I'm pretty sure the newer Switch with better battery doesn't have this problem. Sounds a bit silly to not get a Switch for that reason.. I bet you had an Xbox 360.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#33 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2163 Posts

Only I've noticed it while playing something like Fortnite in portable mode. The character will continue to move even though I don't have my thumb on the joystick. Not a major issue though.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 I_P_Daily

@Litchie said:
@i_p_daily said:

That some joycons can drift is basically the only problem Switch has. And I'm pretty sure the newer Switch with better battery doesn't have this problem. Sounds a bit silly to not get a Switch for that reason.. I bet you had an Xbox 360.

Did you read everything I wrote or just the part you quoted?

Its not the only reason as its customer "support" is shit, I mean not honouring a 1yr guarantee after only 2 days is garbage. Had the shop I bought it from not solved the issue I would have taken Nintendo to fair trading.

So i'm careful as to where I spend my money, also the damn thing cost too much here. So there is more than just 1 thing.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#35 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 36779 Posts

I need to.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10461 Posts

I had a lot of problems with my JoyCons. When the blue one had connection issues, I just bnought yellow ones. Yellow ones came with broken RB. Sent them in, got a replacement. RB broke again after a few months, bought pink/green and they're now finally working.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#37 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 26933 Posts

I fixed it myself but of course if you can get it fixed for free I'd do that.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Litchie

@i_p_daily: Saying N's support is shit is also silly. I got great support. You probably just got to talk to a deuche. But yeah, I removed the other part, since the thread was about drifting, and you said yourself "but after hearing this" which would imply the drifting was the reason you're not getting your son a Switch.

Agreed though that the Switch is too expensive. Their prices are awful. How much is it where you live? It's around 400 bucks here.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 16447 Posts

Definitely a big issue ... thankfully i mostly use Pro Controller and Gamecube ones. Mines are still working fine. Hopefully it won't be an issue as time goes by.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 I_P_Daily

@Litchie said:

@i_p_daily: Saying N's support is shit is also silly. I got great support. You probably just got to talk to a deuche. But yeah, I removed the other part, since the thread was about drifting, and you said yourself "but after hearing this" which would imply the drifting was the reason you're not getting your son a Switch.

Agreed though that the Switch is too expensive. Their prices are awful. How much is it where you live? It's around 400 bucks here.

With a game its around $500 here.

As for speaking with a douche, well not exactly as I was talking to a lady and she calmly said that the pin holding in the cartridge was not covered under the warranty which is just BS. So I can only go off of my one and only interaction with them, and from that it wasn't good.

The shitty controls are just adding another reason for me not to get one, its nothing personal to the Switch but if i buy one i will be giving it to a child and it needs to be sturdy and it doesn't sound like it is.

AJuiceMatts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AJuiceMatts
Member since 2019 • 71 Posts

@Litchie said:
@ajuicematts said:
@getyeryayasout said:

Pretty sure Nintendo used a bad part inside the joycon causing the drifting. This part can break down easily, making the joycon drift. That means that you're basically lucky yours' hasn't started to drift yet, or maybe you use your joycon analogue sticks more carefully than others.

I don't know where you got the 11% thing from, but it doesn't really mean anything. A lot of people will get the problem soon. A lot of people with the problem haven't reported their problem.

I thought it was a bit weird that electroinc cleaner fixed it for me. Maybe I didn't have the drift issue that others have, and just had some dirt in there causing the drifting. Not sure, but I'm not complaining that it fixed it.

You are making a lot of assumptions here.

I use my joycons vigorously, with most of the time spent playing smash. I am happy i have had no issues, but i wouldn't call it luck. More like what most people experience.

The 11% is from an interview when the first reports of the issue started popping up, don't have a link so feel free to disregard.

"a lot of people will get the problem soon" says who? based on what?

"a lot of people with the problem haven't reported their problem" How do you know they have one, if they haven't reported it? Unless you mean they haven't reported it to Nintendo specifically, in which case, i guess that's on them. But you don't have any concrete numbers.

The fact that electronic cleaner appeared to fix yours only reinforces the idea that it's not a part quality issue, at least it seems to be the case for some percentage of the reported cases.

Just seems to be a lot of people blowing this out of proportion. Overall i think the tech in the joycons is solid.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Litchie

@ajuicematts: Yeah, I did assume. But I used logic. Of course people have the drifting problem without noticing / reporting. That's always the case with faulty hardware. I myself just noticed I had the problem because I used the joycons again, which I hadn't done in a long time. Don't know how long my joycon had been like that. No doubt it's the same for other people.

And yeah, I believe more people will have this problem soon, since the problem didn't really start to be reported en masse before Switch was about 2 years old (from what I've seen). Which probably means joycons from launch are now starting to break down. Hence, more people will have the problem soon.

A video of the bad part of the joycon, if anyone's interested.

Loading Video...

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@ajuicematts: same - I use mine vigorously, and play it more now than my other consoles. I don't buy the "guess you're not using it enough" argument. If it happens, I'll deal with it then. It's as simple as that

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 40 Posts

I haven't, but mine have been acting up. The left joy con drifting, and the right has moved down on its own a few times. They'll sometimes randomly disconnect too. They're kinda shit.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4324 Posts

Has not happened to me yet. I play almost exclusively in handheld mode too. If it happens I know Nintendo will fix it, and I can use the pro and the Hori kickstand in the meanwhile. Crisis averted.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 getyeryayasout

@pixievalerie: Same issues I was having, you do have it. Send 'em back and play your Vita for a week.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#47 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79545 Posts

I have a left red joy-con that drifts up, but I've been limping by blowing air under the stick's apron. I really should send it in, just in case, but I've heard of instances where the controllers immediately started drifting again, sometimes even worse than before. Nintendo just needs to redesign them and replace the faulty ones.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pixieValerie

@getyeryayasout said:

@pixievalerie: Same issues I was having, you do have it. Send 'em back and play your Vita for a week.

How much longer is this going on for?

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 getyeryayasout

@pixievalerie: I don't think Nintendo has said yet.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pixieValerie

@getyeryayasout said:

@pixievalerie: I don't think Nintendo has said yet.

Ah okay, should probably do it sooner than later then.