Have you played The Outer Worlds? Is it better than Fallout franchise?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45601 Posts

I recently finished my first playthrough of the game with my Xbox Game Pass trial. It's a really good game; reminds me of what I loved about Fallout 3. That sense of adventure and consequences. The writing is really good too. I also like how the game doesn't have too much fluff. My only gripe is that the ending scenes are a slide show. I would've appreciated something more interesting. But overall, I enjoyed it. Is it better than the Fallout franchise? I think it has potential to carry the baton especially since Bethesda has been too focused on nickle and diming tactics. If they focus on expanding the game a little more and improving the gameplay, I think they can easily do it.

What say you, SW? Have you played The Outer Worlds? Is it better than Fallout franchise?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#2 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11513 Posts

I think the Fallout franchise as a whole is still better, but its hard to compare one game to a major series spanning multiple decades and game releases.

I really enjoyed Outer Worlds though and i'll happily play any sequels

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58557 Posts

One of the better action-RPG games in recent memory.

I still prefer the modern Fallout games as a whole more than Outer Worlds, but I'd argue that I liked Outer Worlds more than Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 individually.

As I've said in other threads, the best thing about The Outer Worlds is that it ends. Like seriously, you get a lot of bang for your buck and it ends right before you get tired of it.

Of course, it's definitely worth at least three playthroughs as well, so it's not like you are getting a bad deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

I've played some of it, and it's alright. Kinda disappointed that it's not nearly as good as New Vegas.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Def not as good as the real (1/2/NV) Fallout games and being better than the Bethturds isn't saying much.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9628 Posts

I was disappointed with it to say the least. Not at all as good as I was hoping or expecting.

Cloud_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cloud_Man
Member since 2020 • 201 Posts

Unlike Fallout, I actually enjoyed The Outer Worlds. I'll give an 8.5/10 (before updates). It doesn't bring anything new on the table but sometimes you don't have to. It's old school Obsidian doing what they do best, when they have a budget to execute it properly or when they aren't forced to create shallow open world with filler content. It's a game that prefers perfection over innovation.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39989 Posts

I did. Loved it at first, but after 20 or so hours, the flaws began to flow in. Enemies variety, weapons variety, unique location/level design, gunplay is all bad. I also do not like the art direction they're going with. Feels like some cheap indie game. Your team members are unusable on Supernova so i couldn't even run with them. A disappointing game from Obsidian.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10602 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:

I was disappointed with it to say the least. Not at all as good as I was hoping or expecting.

yeah this.

genuinely was expecting much more from it. it had a reasonably interesting open sequence and then just never really got going. i kept expecting it to ramp up and grip me but i couldn't get immersed in it at all. the plot was just plain dull. a very well polished and presented bang average game

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Was gonna maybe get it for the switch during a sale haven't played it yet tho

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Great game imo a solid Xbox console exclusive going forward

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16060 Posts

I probably grown out of Fallout and games like it. I find outer world terribly boring and at times the writing is just too cartoony for my taste. The gameplay is on the easy side and, the world is a bit small for my liking. One big town, few small ones and random marauders patrolling and some uninspiring looking monster on the map that probably is randomly generated.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I played it for like 30 minutes and then quit. Haven't played it again since. I didn't care for the graphics, didn't like the dialogue, couldn't give a damn about it's "Fallout but in space!" style, the story didn't keep me interested either.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

I didn't enjoy it as much as I was expecting to. It felt like an ok-ish New Vegas clone. The world and writing were alright, but nothing to write home about. The combat got boring and easy fast so I had to crank it up to Hard, but I never felt any motivation whatsoever to do anything other than the absolute basics. However, I did appreciate the smaller scope and game length. It felt refreshing compared to all the open world RPGs flooding the market. The companions and most characters are also quite well-written.

Overall, a 7/10. I had more fun with the Fallout games, even Fallout 4.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I liked it a lot. Was too short though.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9444 Posts

Yes and no.

It starts very strong, but the later parts of the game don't maintain.

It's a great game, but they kept some of the Fallout stuff they maybe shouldn't have, and didn't include some stuff they maybe should have.

Still no replacement for a proper Bethesda open world Fallout game from a game play and exploration sense. The Outer Worlds has a better story than a Bethesda game, but that's not really why I love those games.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Better than Bethesda's Fallout. Not better than Black Isle's Fallout.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5561 Posts

Great game .... draws you in early on but i felt it got boring quicker than I would have liked. Does not hold up to FO3 and NV imo. Perks are nowhere near as fun as Obsidian came up with in NV.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#20 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Overall, I still would give the Fallout games the edge (currently playing and loving Fallout 4), but The Outer Worlds really impressed me. It even outshone Fallout in real-time gun-play. V.A.T.S still stands as the best gun-play dynamic between the two franchises, however. I also really appreciated the smaller, tight worlds in The Outer Worlds. It felt like a nice change-up over the vast emptiness games such as Fallout can project.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

The game was good but short. It's not a game where a person has to play it but a game a person could play it.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11714 Posts

It's better than the trash fire that was Fallout 4.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44709 Posts

I haven’t played it yet but it certainly does look like something I’ll enjoy. I did very much enjoy Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Fallout 4 though.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

It's good but sadly nowhere near New Vegas. The low budget took it's hit with lack of content and some weird design choices. I'm actually planning to start a second run this week, try a melee focused, dumb build on the highest difficulty and siding with the corporation.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

It's a good game but nothing special really. Having finished it, I couldn't understand all the wild hype it got like they were making the new Fallout game that everyone apparently wanted. They weren't.

I much, much preferred Fallout 3, New Vegas and Fallout 4 to the Outer Worlds. There was just so much more to them. Better worlds, better environment, better characters, better stories (specially in side quests).

It's like everyone thought oh look after Fallout 76 Obsidian are the new Bethesda and this is the game to prove it. Wrong on both counts. Don't get me wrong Bethesda are now pretty much officially dead and (hopefully) buried as a respected dev but this game just does not compare to the Fallout games at all.

I'm not mad about the art style either but main grievance is the very boring quests and environment and the writing was pretty bad too. Still a good game but nowhere near as good as the press would have you believe in previews and reviews.

I'm getting used to that though. Metro Exodus, Jedi Fallen Order, Red Dead 2 all extremely disappointing after all the hype, for my tastes at least.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

Didn't enjoy it as much as New Vegas, but it was still pretty good. It's a hell of a lot better than Fallout 3 and 4, though.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44724 Posts

I liked it better than Fallout 4.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I almost got sucked in by the hype and bought it day 1. Glad I didn't though. That said, I'll keep my eye on any dlc or sequels or whatever and maybe one day it'll be worth it.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2083 Posts

Better than Fallout 4. I got platinum trophy very quickly in outerworlds. I really enjoyed the game on hardest difficulty with no fast travel and auto saving allowed.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7305 Posts

Have heard outer world is more like new vegas than fallout 4 if it's true I might give this a go.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10602 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

It's like everyone thought oh look after Fallout 76 Obsidian are the new Bethesda and this is the game to prove it

or people thought the old obsidian / black isle were back.

another thing that sucks about the game is the inventory design where a pop up constantly obscures your belongings as you scroll through items. it's one of the most frustrating ui designs i've seen. as long term rpg purveyors they should know better

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17469 Posts

Bought it Day 1 because Obsidian. Loved the game but you could tell it was a smaller budget than previous games.

Finished one playthrough with the intent of playing again but never did.

Definitely hope they expand on the sequel since they have stable backing now. Really wish it was more like new vegas with unique and memorable quests and locations.

Everything felt......standard.

Will play again this weekend though