Have You Noticed How Consoles With More Power Never Wins?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Sega Saturn vs. N64 vs. the PS1............WINNER PS1

Gamecube vs. XBOX vs. PS2................WINNER PS2

DS vs. PSP............................................WINNER DS

XBOX 360 vs. Wii vs. PS3....................WINNER __________. (You fill in the blank).

Notice a trend?

Why does this happen though? It's common sense to conclude that the console with the most power should destroy the competition but history proves that's not the case. The DS vs. the PSP is probably one of the biggest upsets in video game history. How can the weaker DS destroy the more powerful PSP? David and Goliath? Detroit Pistons winning the Lakers even when Lakers had Shaq, Kobi, Malone, and Payton?

This isn't really a system war question but it's more about understanding how all this works? How can a weaker system beat a more powerful one? And it looks like the PS3 is about to repeat history. Makes no sense at the same time, it does.

Opinions and discussions please.

slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 slystallion26
Member since 2005 • 819 Posts
Playstation 1 had good timing. Year head start. More developer support because of cd format. Sega saturn just dropped without any marketing. Dropped it the next day after it was announced and it was like 400 dollars.

Same with ps2...had good timing due to sega's death. Gamecube and xbox came a year later. And sony came with the dvd format.

and snes was technically more powerful than sega and they won eventually.

This time i don't know what is going to happen. You have a new format with sony but this time they came out a year later after the competetion
Japanese_Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Japanese_Monk
Member since 2006 • 1412 Posts
Playstation 1 had good timing. Year head start. More developer support because of cd format. Sega saturn just dropped without any marketing. Dropped it the next day after it was announced and it was like 400 dollars.

Same with ps2...had good timing due to sega's death. Gamecube and xbox came a year later. And sony came with the dvd format.

and snes was technically more powerful than sega and they won eventually.

This time i don't know what is going to happen. You have a new format with sony but this time they came out a year later after the competetion
slystallion26
So your saying the xbox360 will win?
Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts
What about the SNES, it was the most powerful of it's gen and it won.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
Most claim that the 360 is the most powerful.

haris12121212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 haris12121212
Member since 2004 • 7560 Posts
Well, less powerful = smaller price = more user buying that console = more 3rd party support for that console.
afroTunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 afroTunder
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts

Nike_Air
sure That equals to a PS3 win
Tony_aaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tony_aaaa
Member since 2007 • 475 Posts
What about the SNES, it was the most powerful of it's gen and it won.Master_Hermes
Technically the NeoGeo had much more power, but it cost $599--too much for a console. That said, it's the system with the largest library of good games that ALWAYS wins.
chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 chicken008
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts
Even though it didn't sell well..you forgot Dreamcast.
Letesmetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Letesmetty
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts
The N64 won in my heart.
AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AvinashTyagi
Member since 2005 • 4433 Posts
Wii will win
Avatar image for deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
deactivated-5d560a230ad3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
Member since 2004 • 1546 Posts

XBOX 360 vs. Wii vs. PS3....................WINNER __________. (You fill in the blank).

Notice a trend?

Why does this happen though? It's common sense to conclude that the console with the most power should destroy the competition but history proves that's not the case. The DS vs. the PSP is probably one of the biggest upsets in video game history. How can the weaker DS destroy the more powerful PSP? David and Goliath? Detroit Pistons winning the Lakers even when Lakers had Shaq, Kobi, Malone, and Payton?

This isn't really a system war question but it's more about understanding how all this works? How can a weaker system beat a more powerful one? And it looks like the PS3 is about to repeat history. Makes no sense at the same time, it does.

ASK_Story

Conceded, except possibly the first example, where it can be argued that the PS1 had superior technolog if for no other factor than its CD-ROM.

useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 useLOGIC
Member since 2006 • 2802 Posts

[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]Most claim that the 360 is the most powerful.

afroTunder

i love when logic backfires ;)

AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AvinashTyagi

[QUOTE="afroTunder"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]Most claim that the 360 is the most powerful.

useLOGIC

Actually it equates to a Wii win, which is what is happening
carl2tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 carl2tan
Member since 2003 • 1385 Posts
[QUOTE="useLOGIC"]

[QUOTE="afroTunder"][QUOTE="Nike_Air"]Most claim that the 360 is the most powerful.

AvinashTyagi

You're right. But for me personally, I dont consider Wii next gen due to its graphics. but your still right, it has already pretty much won.
thefman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thefman
Member since 2007 • 217 Posts
that is all opinion, imo
n64 vs ps1-winner-n64
gc vs xbox vs ps2-winner-xbox
360 vs wii vs ps3-winner-360
afroTunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 afroTunder
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts
[QUOTE="useLOGIC"]

AvinashTyagi

Wii does even count as a next gen console? i dont think so :cry: :lol:

sorry bout my bad engrish pal :cry: :shock: :lol: :cry:
useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 useLOGIC
[QUOTE="useLOGIC"]

AvinashTyagi

i think itll do well for a while... i just dont think wiimotes are practical for every game.

Japanese_Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Japanese_Monk
Member since 2006 • 1412 Posts
that is all opinion, imo
n64 vs ps1-winner-n64
thefman
In terms of sales no. But rather than sells i completely agree with you.
useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 useLOGIC

[QUOTE="thefman"]that is all opinion, imo
n64 vs ps1-winner-n64
Japanese_Monk
In terms of sales no. But rather than sells i completely agree with you.

since number of critically acclaimed games doesnt matter either

/sarcasm

ssbfalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 ssbfalco
Member since 2005 • 1970 Posts
Meh Trends... Can easily be broken...
thefman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thefman
Member since 2007 • 217 Posts
[QUOTE="thefman"]that is all opinion, imo
n64 vs ps1-winner-n64
R-Dot-Yung
dude, you thought XBOX won last gen....no, just NO

well lets see, it had the best graphics, best controller and i loved all the awsome games that were on it.  i liked the gc a little and just hated the ps2, it just had no games i wanted, it had quantity and no quality and xbox had both.
AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AvinashTyagi
[QUOTE="AvinashTyagi"][QUOTE="useLOGIC"]

useLOGIC

i think itll do well for a while... i just dont think wiimotes are practical for every game.

GCN ports and classic controller
AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AvinashTyagi

afroTunder

Wii does even count as a next gen console? i dont think so :cry: :lol:

sorry bout my bad engrish pal :cry: :shock: :lol: :cry:

Its part of the current gen, alongside the 360 and PS3, and its crushing them
Avatar image for -NintendoPower-
-NintendoPower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -NintendoPower-
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts
that is all opinion, imo
n64 vs ps1-winner-n64
thefman

You can't be serious.
xxThyLordxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xxThyLordxx
Member since 2007 • 3200 Posts
correct if I'm wrong, but I thought PS1 was powerful than the Saturn.
John_Cornman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 John_Cornman
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts

carl2tan

You're right. But for me personally, I dont consider Wii next gen due to its graphics. but your still right, it has already pretty much won.

next gen has nothing to do with graphics. It just means a upgrade to the current console.
John_Cornman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 John_Cornman
correct if I'm wrong, but I thought PS1 was powerful than the Saturn.xxThyLordxx
no it was not... PS1 was barely stronger than SNES(with the 3d graphics accelerator)
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

Yeah, that is correct, however, you notice how usually, if not always, the winner is one of the first to the market? Therefore, by having less time to devolop, usually equals into less power...

Same goes for reason of why winners of Game Boy vs. GameGear, 2600 vs. Intellivision and NES vs. Master System were the ones put in bold.....they were one of the fist, if not the first, to the market...

By the way, if you are asking my opinion, while Dreamcast and Sega Genesis were indeed first to their perspective markets, the reason they did not become number 1, by worldwide basis, is due to the fact each of them launched while the life cycle of previous console(s) were still in their prime...and therefore...most people were not ready for "next generation" of gaming...

On side note, for those who say "but, Sega Genesis was succesful." Yes...yes, it was...however...on worldwide basis...SNES was the winner of the two (and whether or not you like it, worldwise numbers matters more than national, regardless of the fact whether or not USA status in the market).

Besides, while it was indeed successful venture, it did not really reach that point until launch of Sonic...about 2 years after the launch of the system...and more importantly...6 years after the NES had been released and some time before the release of the SNES...

In another words...from my perspective...its obvious that did not really reach success until the prime of the 8-bit era had reached end...

solidgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 solidgamer
Member since 2005 • 7542 Posts
well done! have a cookie
mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts

Yeah, that is correct, however, you notice how usually, if not always, the winner is one of the first to the market? Therefore, by having less time to devolop, usually equals into less power...

Same goes for reason of why winners of Game Boy vs. GameGear, 2600 vs. Intellivision and NES vs. Master System were the ones put in bold.....they were one of the fist, if not the first, to the market...

By the way, if you are asking my opinion, while Dreamcast and Sega Genesis were indeed first to their perspective markets, the reason they did not become number 1, by worldwide basis, is due to the fact each of them launched while the life cycle of previous console(s) were still in their prime...and therefore...most people were not ready for "next generation" of gaming...

On side note, for those who say "but, Sega Genesis was succesful." Yes...yes, it was...however...on worldwide basis...SNES was the winner of the two (and whether or not you like it, worldwise numbers matters more than national, regardless of the fact whether or not USA status in the market).

Besides, while it was indeed successful venture, it did not really reach that point until launch of Sonic...about 2 years after the launch of the system...and more importantly...6 years after the NES had been released and some time before the release of the SNES...

In another words...from my perspective...its obvious that did not really reach success until the prime of the 8-bit era had reached end...

Link256

actually, historically, the first to market was always the one who lost. TG16,Saturn,Dreamcast, all first all died. The winner has always been the one with the most games(3rd party support).

_koolgirl_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 _koolgirl_
Member since 2006 • 713 Posts

I've been posting this for years but, he with the most games wins.

That is it, cut and dry.  Casual gamers buy a system based on who has the most games.  More often than not they don't pay attention to who has more "quality" games, they don't come to sites as this, they don't read game magazines, they don't know scores, they buy a system based on 2 things: price of system and who has the most games.

If they go to a local store and system A has one rack and system 2 has 3 racks, they will choose system 2.   Let's face it, if you know nothing of games, you assume there will be something to apeal to you out of 3 racks more than 1 rack.

That would be the reason that usually he who launches first succeeds, because he also has the most games :)

PS2 pretty much owes all of it's success to this.  Both systems that came out later were better.  Yet Ps2 had a years jump (meaning a years more games), because PS2 had such a big market share, developers continued to make many games for the system, which led to new users buying the system.

It goes hand in hand, buyers equals games, equals new buyers ,equals more games etc etc etc

Codename33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Codename33
Member since 2005 • 2719 Posts

I actually think that graphics vs. price will have a larger impact on this gen. The wii has very inferior graphics compared to the ps3 and the xbox360, something which has almost never been the case in a console race. Also, the price points are really different, with around a 250% increase of price from lowest to highest point.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

[QUOTE="Link256"]

In another words...from my perspective...its obvious that did not really reach success until the prime of the 8-bit era had reached end...mazdero

actually, historically, the first to market was always the one who lost. TG16,Saturn,Dreamcast, all first all died. The winner has always been the one with the most games(3rd party support).

Umm, you make seem as if I am some how disagreeing.....I am not.

After all, hints why I said "you notice how usually, if not always, the winner is one of the first to the market. To be simple, one of the first does not necessarily mean the first...

Also, exception to the Sega Saturn, one of the main reasons most of those console failed, beyond lack of titles that you mentioned (among other factors), from my perspective, is due to the fact that they had bad timing.....they were trying to be "next gen" when people, at the perpsective time frames, were happy playing with the "current gen" hardware system(s) that was still consider to be in their prime.....

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
Actually. YOur whole arguement is incorrect because you said "Never"...
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

Notice a trend?

ASK_Story

The Lakers didn't play defense and they were selfish players that didn't believe in teamwork so don't say "David vs. Goliath" I'm a Laker fan and i knew the Pistons were going to be tough to beat.
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts
[QUOTE="R-Dot-Yung"]This will sound fanboyish but i dont care the PS3 will win in the long run, theres too many franchises on the Playstation with too many fans unless those games go somewhere else, i mean honestly, say what you want, but 120 Million PS2's dont lie

No they don't lie, but PS2 doesn't produce games. Don;t get me wrong, I own a PS3 and want it to do well, but past sucess is no guarantee for future sucess.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Nike_Air
And many people think that the Wii will come out on top, which is the OP's point I think.
Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rosencrantz
Member since 2003 • 8148 Posts

Notice a trend?

ASK_Story

This is why you never see scientists posting in a message forum.  They know that two piece of data correlate without actually being a cause/effect.

There are a dozen different reasons the most powerful console doesn't "win" and none of them have to do with being the most powerful.   Timing, amount of games, game diversity, price, mainstream appeal, consumer confidence, willingness to buy more than one console, support, etc, etc, etc.

shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts
Your topic should say the Most power not more power.
gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

Notice a trend?

Rosencrantz

This is why you never see scientists posting in a message forum.  They know that two piece of data correlate without actually being a cause/effect.

There are a dozen different reasons the most powerful console doesn't "win" and none of them have to do with being the most powerful.   Timing, amount of games, game diversity, price, mainstream appeal, consumer confidence, willingness to buy more than one console, support, etc, etc, etc.

BINGO!
John_Cornman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 John_Cornman

[QUOTE="mazdero"][QUOTE="Link256"]

Yeah, that is correct, however, you notice how usually, if not always, the winner is one of the first to the market? Therefore, by having less time to devolop, usually equals into less power...

Same goes for reason of why winners of Game Boy vs. GameGear, 2600 vs. Intellivision and NES vs. Master System were the ones put in bold.....they were one of the fist, if not the first, to the market...

By the way, if you are asking my opinion, while Dreamcast and Sega Genesis were indeed first to their perspective markets, the reason they did not become number 1, by worldwide basis, is due to the fact each of them launched while the life cycle of previous console(s) were still in their prime...and therefore...most people were not ready for "next generation" of gaming...

On side note, for those who say "but, Sega Genesis was succesful." Yes...yes, it was...however...on worldwide basis...SNES was the winner of the two (and whether or not you like it, worldwise numbers matters more than national, regardless of the fact whether or not USA status in the market).

Besides, while it was indeed successful venture, it did not really reach that point until launch of Sonic...about 2 years after the launch of the system...and more importantly...6 years after the NES had been released and some time before the release of the SNES...

In another words...from my perspective...its obvious that did not really reach success until the prime of the 8-bit era had reached end...Link256

Umm, you make seem as if I am some how disagreeing.....I am not.

After all, hints why I said "you notice how usually, if not always, the winner is one of the first to the market. To be simple, one of the first does not necessarily mean the first...

Also, exception to the Sega Saturn, one of the main reasons most of those console failed, beyond lack of titles that you mentioned (among other factors), from my perspective, is due to the fact that they had bad timing.....they were trying to be "next gen" when people, at the perpsective time frames, were happy playing with the "current gen" hardware system(s) that was still consider to be in their prime.....

Yeah and horrid development environments...
KingOfJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KingOfJersey
Member since 2007 • 285 Posts
I know that proves the fact that horsepower doesnt always win the war that is like trying to put a 1970 mustang against a brand new lancer:Evo yeah the Mustang has more horses but the Evo will handle better the same thing applies to video games which is why Im suprised that Sony decided to go over the top instead of keeping it simple like what they did with the last two if it aint broke why fix it right?
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
It's actually quite simple. It isn't the console with less power that wins but the console that COMES TO MARKET FIRST that wins. It irons out the bugs quicker, gets the higher rated games to market sooner, and leaves everyone else playing catchup. The systems that come out later are at a disadvantage and as such, explain their tardiness to market to their customers by offering more power. So my prediction for the winner of this generation: Xbox360 I'm sure the rule will be proved wrong eventually (probably by a company so hellbent on coming out first that they release a shoddy product way before it's ready) but aside from a few hardware failures, I don't think the Xbox360 falls into that category the Wii and PS3 will be good systems but the disadvantage is that they're playing catch up from the getgo The Wii may have a shot because it is a unique control style and may win fans over that way I really see PS3 fighting an uphill struggle as it competes directly with Xbox360 for the same market. Then again, a release of an ultrapopular game (MGS4? FF what is it now? 13?) might be just the ticket!
gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts
[QUOTE="asmallchild"]It's actually quite simple. It isn't the console with less power that wins but the console that COMES TO MARKET FIRST that wins. !

Sega came to market first. And so did Nintendo. Yet Sony caught up. I should remind you that the last console that Sony put out has been almost SEVEN YEARS AGO!
Vasichko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Vasichko
Member since 2004 • 2565 Posts
Well, less powerful = smaller price = more user buying that console = more 3rd party support for that console.haris12121212
So in this case the 360 = more power + lesser price + more 3rd party support?
Vasichko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Vasichko
Member since 2004 • 2565 Posts
Well, less powerful = smaller price = more user buying that console = more 3rd party support for that console.haris12121212
So in this case the 360 = more power + lesser price + more 3rd party support?
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

The PS2 was the most powerful at the time it came out, and it won. Sure, M$ and Nintendo joined later, but Sony had one hell of a machine that is still WELL ALIVE today, and outlasted the Xbox, GC, and Dreamcast, with plenty more AAA titles coming still!

That is just remarkable for those that gambled with the Early DVD rom adopting Sony.