Have you ever gone full manticore in a generation?

• 82 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

As in, had the major consoles, PC, and all handhelds of that gen? This gen is probably the must competitive yet. All systems have strengths that play well to their market. It's exciting actually.. but would you get all systems and have you done so before? I usually at some point get all systems but holding onto them for the entire generation is a whole other thing.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

I always had. Must be new to you.🤷‍♂️

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro: it's easier to pretend you have these systems 😎

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38704 Posts

Why would i do that? Cow life is the best life, and if you disagree, you haven't tested it or have no idea what you're talking about, so people shouldn't listen to what you're saying.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Within a generation? No, actually, now that I think of it I've always skipped at least one. I don't have enough gaming time to truly enjoy all the consoles each gen in addition to my PC. Plus now days there's little to no point. At least back in the earlier days you got largely unique libraries

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Pedro: it's easier to pretend you have these systems 😎

I don’t do pretend but I do get envied by folks who cannot handle the truth.🤷‍♂️

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

I've never done it. Never owned an Xbox console in my life. I am not rich to afford everything in one generation.

For me, it's always been Playstation and Nintendo, as they've developed the most iconic games in my lifetime.,

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

When I had the money sure. I owned a PC, PS3, 360, WiiU, Vita and 3DS

Wasn't the smart thing to do, for sure.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2925 Posts

Nope. I have owned two consoles at a time and that is about it. I do own a PC but never use it for games.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3540 Posts

I buy everything every gen, except for Xbox, since there is no reason to own one when you have a PC. In addition to having no reason to own one, there are many reasons you should avoid owning one, such as it looking and smelling bad.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k said:

When I had the money sure. I owned a PC, PS3, 360, WiiU, Vita and 3DS

Wasn't the smart thing to do, for sure.

It isn’t but sometimes we do dumb things. I have to start giving away my older systems.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Except for handhelds which I haven't owned since the Game Gear in the 90s I have been, but not since the PS3/360 era. Iv been PC only since then apart from the WiiU I got for my wife and daughter.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I guess, I had a PS2, GameCube and a Xbox along with a PC that was capable of running games though it never did.

I also had a ps1, Saturn, and N64 along with a PC that was pretty good at gaming but rarely used it.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Last gen PS4/Pro, XOne/X, Wii U/Switch and PC but I almost never use it for gaming.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34567 Posts

Nah. Not playing the very few games I'm interested in on the systems I don't own doesn't bother me much. If you have a PC, you already have too much to play.

I think the last game for a PlayStation that was a bit of a shame not playing was Bloodborne. That was 2015. Xbox has been redundant for PC gamers for years. It's not like I'm missing much.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

I think every generation since SNES and Megadrive.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

Yup, and I’ve regretted it every time. Oh well, I never learn.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

PS2 gen was the only time. I had a new PC I got for college, the Dreamcast and PS2 I had already. The Gamecube was gifted to me. I even had the first Xbox for a month.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

PSWii60, yeah. Ever since I’ve left one manufacturer in the cold, usually MS.

At this point, I will likely drop Nintendo completely. Just not enough time anymore to play everything I want and my tastes lie elsewhere.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

I tried that last gen, and it was a major disaster for me, personally. It's my own fault because I did it due to peer pressure instead of any true desire on my part to have everything. I ended up neglecting games and wasting money.

On the other hand, I could never just own one system as that would be too limiting for me. I've always had at least two systems each gen, and often all three, plus handhelds.

This gen I'm quite happy with Switch and Series X. Dropping Sony now is easier than ever.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17420 Posts

I've been fortunate enough in my adulthood to be able to own all systems.

I still had my preferences but I had all of them to compare. I've been primarily PC since 2012 I believe

The only exception being handhelds. I've only owned the original Game Boy, Game Gear, and Vita of a brief period.

Avatar image for deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93
deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93
Member since 2013 • 421 Posts

Yeah, in gen #7 i bought them all (X360, PS3, Wii) even with the "mainline" handhelds (NDS+PSP). Did my first "DIY" PC build at around the time the PS3 was shaping up to be a complete flop ("PS3 has no games" era).

During gen #6 i was missing only the Dreamcast and GBA, but had the rest (GC, PS2, Xbox and a shitty pre-built PC).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38704 Posts

Owning just one system (pc doesn't count) is so much better because you become a hyper elitist of your system, and its great. Sometimes i don't even feel like talking to anybody who doesn't own a PS5.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Nah never full (as in all the handhelds and crap). I've owned majority of the main systems since Dreamcast days though, not counting the revisions. I've owned some handhelds like Nintendo DS, 3DS and Vita. I've sold some, some have broken, some I've given away. Still got my PS3, one of my PS2s just recently broke so I got rid of it. I quit PC gaming when last-gen started, was eager to jump back in, but then covid-19 and the fucking scalpers came and everything went to shit.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23890 Posts

Yes several.

7th gen

6th gen

4th gen

I didnt get it in the 8th gen, as I didnt see a reason to own a PS4 or XB1, And I am skipping out on the XBOX this gen as well as all the games are on PC.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I typically get what I need to play the games I want with no compromises. This is my way of life.

The only manticores I know about are the ones I throw at my D&D players.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15904 Posts

Used to buy xbox (xbox one vcr and xbox 360). Usually I buy the PS/Nintendo offering every gen. I have PC or Laptop for work and light gaming.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Nah no longer about that life anymore. I use to feel the need to play certain games on consoles but now days pc is starting to take over. I'm not like a day one latest hardware pc guy, but Its starting to get redundant owning all consoles. especially xbox if I'm honest. Playstation is still hang on here and there but there is no rush anymore. I still prefer getting games like Strive, ff on there for example. Nintendo is unique of course but even that I ask myself why. Respect to the true manticores collectors out there.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Yes, but it doesn't seem to be worth it anymore. Last gen, I just played on the PC and PS4 despite having an Xbox One and Wii U + Switch as well.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14800 Posts

I ain't got no time for that.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

No. I had all 4 consoles minus PC during Gen 6, but then I realize it was just too much for me.

Going into gen 7, I ended up with just one console per gen, PS3, followed by PS4. It was the most practical choice I ever made. And it made perfect sense. Focus on one platform and it's library and have fun. Plus, I don't game every single day.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1038 Posts

I've never really been one for handhelds although I've owned several (Gameboy, DS, PSP). The only reason I owned a PSP was because I was deploying. Even then, I got bored of the PSP and ordered a GameCube cause I never owned one and played through the RE series on it.

I normally own all major consoles in a generation, that's nothing new for me. I've found that if I don't, I'll desire the missing console. PC for me is the worst way to game and I have no interest in it. It's like anti-gaming to me. I was going to get a Steam Deck for Steam only games but the truth is I don't really need it or really care about Steam so I'm gonna give up my reservation. I do have a Quest 2 as well which I never touch. Been a few months since I've used it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#34 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

With PC and consoles... multiple times. However, I don't really care about handhelds and the only ones I have owned are the original Gameboy, Vita, and Switch.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@BassMan said:

With PC and consoles... multiple times. However, I don't really care about handhelds and the only ones I have owned are the original Gameboy, Vita, and Switch.

I just can't imagine you as a Vita person

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#36  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:
@BassMan said:

I just can't imagine you as a Vita person

I didn't use it much, but they got me with that OLED screen (rare at the time) and Uncharted: Golden Abyss. It was actually way better than 3DS, but they just marketed it wrong and didn't support it properly.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

This would be a weird place(SW) to be if everyone owned all the systems.

I've owned every Nintendo except the Switch. And every playstation before PS5. No xboxes. All the Nintendo handhelds before Switch, and a Vita. I haven't had a gaming PC in probably 20 years or so.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

Not really. I've bought a Nintendo console as a secondary before. That said, I haven't seen the point since the 7th gen. The two major consoles share so many games that it doesn't seem worth it to me to dish out all that money for the other console for a handful of exclusives. And it is a handful. I doubt most people like all exclusives released. Most are not into all genres.

For example, if I got a PS5 now, I'd just be playing Spider-Man. I'm not into exclusives just because they're exclusives.

I'm not into movie games at all, so I don't care about Naughty Dog and GoW. I'm even finding Jedi Fallen Order a bit tedious. It's not just the cutscenes, it's very set piece heavy, and the QTEs...

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

No I don't think so, too much stuff I won't touch in every gen, most specifically Nintendo and all handhelds.

I've actually gone backwards from my previous manticore mentality where I owned a lot of consoles and PC to now just PC and PS5 I honestly don't need anything else. Actually, I don't even know if I need the PS5, haven't touched it since Demon Souls remaster.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Nah, since Xbox is basically non-existent in where I live. I've had PC since the '90s, along with the SNES, Dreamcast, GC, PS1/2(never had the PS3.) tho.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Yep, in the PS3/360 gen.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Excluding dud consoles and the occasional handheld miss, yeah. Usually owned every major console and a PC. Didn't get stuff like the TurboGrafx-16 or the Jaguar lol. Started with a 2600, then a NES, but from there would get every Nintendo/Sega/Playstation/Xbox console.

And for a good few generations there the consoles were distinct and their libraries reflected that. Felt like it made sense. Definitely up through gen 5, and to a lesser extent, gen 6. Gen 7, started seeming less worthwhile and gen 8, felt like I really could have gone PC + Nintendo.

Buying into another console these days isn't all that appealing to me. No longer buying into some unique experience, just more redundant hardware to access a handful of locked down games.

Avatar image for deactivated-61654c912328d
deactivated-61654c912328d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-61654c912328d
Member since 2021 • 66 Posts

Guess I would be a manticore? I lean more towards PC though over my consoles but I have the Xbox Series X, Playstation 5, & Nintendo Switch hooked up to my TV.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Always Manticore, all gens. I don't limit myself. 😎

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

You don't need an Xbox to be a manticore. It's a redundant console with inferior versions of every game it has. Switch is also pointless and I'm considering selling mine.

PC + PS5 is all any gamer really needs.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

I’ve typically owned all the major consoles each gen with a few exceptions and I’ve always owned each Nintendo handheld that’s come out. Only ever got into PC gaming in 2000 and for a few years after that. So if I was ever a “full manticore” then I guess it would have been during that time.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LuxuryHeart  Online
Member since 2017 • 1847 Posts

PS2, GameCube, Xbox, and a desktop where I had a few games my parents bought me for the desktop and I played online games. That was a generation where I gamed on every platform, and I was in Elementary school. It was a fun time. But as we grew older, we owned less platforms. In the future, I'm sticking with Nintendo and PC. PC for games I refuse to play on a Nintendo platform, which will be MOBAs, first person shooters, and cool MMOs. I'll stick to some indies that catch my eye and Nintendo games for the next Nintendo platform. I just can't see myself ever going without Nintendo, because I feel miserable when I don't play their games.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#48 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19514 Posts

Gen 6. Owned PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox, GameCube and PC. They all had something unique to offer that gen.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I've never had a pc, but I'll usually end up with all the consoles.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

I used to manticore, not for handhelds, but I would for console. Now, I don't really have to do that anymore. Just PC and PS5 and subbing to GP if they have something I'm interested in.