Hatred gets the Dreaded AO rating.

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-16-hatred-gets-the-dreaded-ao-rating-in-the-us?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Today, we are reminded that an AO still exists in the Video game world.

only about 42 games/apps have been deemed worthy of this legendary rating, some with the likes of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Man Hunt 2, and Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy.

But while Rock Star and Quantic Dream lowered the quality of their games to get an M rating to sell on Consoles it doesn't seem like the Developer of Hatred wants to do that.

"I would prefer to get a standard M rating, because with AO we will have problems to get to consoles in the future, but on the other hand I think you guys (our fans) would be disappointed with it," the developer stated. "I'm curious what PEGI will give us."

I don't think Steam has any AO games in it's Library. (no, Nekopara does not count)

Will Hatred be the First AO game on Steam? What do you guys think? It's gotten a lot of attention as of late.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#2 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It's a game that seems to fun for 5 minutes. All you do is shoot people and they run.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It's a game that seems to be fun for 5 minutes. All you do is shoot people and they run.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Now that it has an AO rating, I doubt Steam will allow the game on the store. If Hatred can stay on steam, then I don't see why other AO games can't be on Steam.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I'm supportive of this, we need to cover the entire spectrum. Now if only we could get an R rated batman film.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
Loading Video...

When were they when it was 1997?

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Cloud_imperium said:

It's a game that seems to be fun for 5 minutes. All you do is shoot people and they run.

There's most likely more to it than that. you probably have a set of goals, and then you have to deal with the feds when they come to ruin your fun.

I hope the difficulty ramps up as the game goes on, going full brevik on the populace as the police and military work together to stop your murder spree.

Of course it sounds really sick, but it's a game. Is it in poor taste? sure.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

how games like GTA where you can have sex with a prostitute and then kill her is M and not AO?

And sorry if as of late I've been blaming everything on the SJW crowd but ever since gamergate I have seen with my own eyes that these bunch of pussies have connections literally everywhere from the game industry to mainstream news media and even the movie industry. They are currently the most dominant mindset, so I'm pretty sure Hatred got an AO rating because the ones that put the rating on it had some friends on the side manipulating the final decision. I mean, if it wasn't because Gabe Newell stepped up Hatred wouldn't even have had its chance to be on Greenlight.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

M is 17+ here in Canada. AO would be 18+. Big deal. I use to be get away with buying M at age 12. Whats an extra year lol

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#10 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Gue1 said:

how games like GTA where you can have sex with a prostitute and then kill her is M and not AO?

You know it is strange that you can go on a civilian killing spree and all and even fondle some strippers boobs (uncensored might I add) and even have sex with them and GTA V got a M rating and continued to sell MILLIONS.

Hatred? Too violent, gotta AO this filth.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58845 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I'm supportive of this, we need to cover the entire spectrum. Now if only we could get an R rated batman film.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts
@JangoWuzHere said:

Now that it has an AO rating, I doubt Steam will allow the game on the store. If Hatred can stay on steam, then I don't see why other AO games can't be on Steam.

I Don't see why. It isn't like it contains the most horrible and oppressive force known in the world of political correctness: Nudity.

Who cares anyway. If it does get "censored" by "being forced off of Steam" by "an unjust on horrible ESRB rating" or however they will spin it that is only going to increase sales, and it is going to end up in the hands of more kids. Just like Two Live Crew back in the day.

Holy crap society is weird.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@uninspiredcup said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

The only standout of that film was Hardy's performance as bane, couldn't stand half the movie taking place with a crippled bat in glorified well.

But imagine how amazing a batman film that didn't pull any punches would be. I'm probably just fanboying it up at this point seeing it's favorite comic franchise, but the big R would definitely suit Gotham city well.

I think Deadpool might be getting an R rating actually, hopefully.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Good. Hopefully the game will fail miserably.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup  Online

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

The only standout of that film was Hardy's performance as bane, couldn't stand half the movie taking place with a crippled bat in glorified well.

But imagine how amazing a batman film that didn't pull any punches would be. I'm probably just fanboying it up at this point seeing it's favorite comic franchise, but the big R would definitely suit Gotham city well.

Said it a million times: and not the first to point it out: but The Dark Knight basically is a bloated and pretencous Rocky 3.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Well, it's not going on Sony, MS, or Nintendo platforms, is it? Should be fine unless Valve's staff has a similar code on that rating, but since Gabe Newell apologized for pulling it before, I think it might stay (unless it doesn't sit well with other Valve staff members).

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

From what I hear its a shitty game, mechanically speaking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Dont care. Will buy

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

Who cares...the only reason it's getting notice is the rating. Rather than creating an interesting and well polished game they took the cheap way out and went for controversy. Big deal. It's no loss if the game isn't released.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I love the Nolan Batman movies but holy shit the fighting scenes in dark knight rises are fucking bad and corny because of the pg13 rating. no one bleeds in that universe

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@uninspiredcup: You have to explain the Rocky 3 comparison.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Whether this rating will be good or not will depend on time.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@GoldenElementXL said:

@uninspiredcup: You have to explain the Rocky 3 comparison.

A hero once at his height: retired, returns to the fray unprepared for a new obstacle that is superior to him. His elder attempts to warn him of the danger but he refuses to listen. Hero foolishly attempts to battle him: gets destroyed and hits rock bottom. Hero: having all his riches removed and now at rock bottom: within the confines of his antagonists former domain must rebuild himself (after failing to find the "key" several times) in order to stand up against his new found opponent. Villains shrinks as hero regains his mojo.

A few differences exist here and there. Such as the worlds worst plot twist. Overall though Rocky 3 is an Incredibly underrated movie, a fantasic example of a sequel, with the "The Dark Knight Rises" being mostly the polar opposite.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#24 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Who cares...the only reason it's getting notice is the rating. Rather than creating an interesting and well polished game they took the cheap way out and went for controversy. Big deal. It's no loss if the game isn't released.

Pretty much. At least GTA has something more than just mindless violence. Hatred is just a cheap publicity stunt.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 uninspiredcup  Online

@Motokid6 said:

Good. Hope no one buys it.

But it looks fun.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

Then you are more than welcome to get it....

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Wow that's pretty good. I'm a huge Rocky fan so I was wondering what the similarities were. I've only seen The Dark Night Rises once and forgot about many of the things you described.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@Gue1 said:

And sorry if as of late I've been blaming everything on the SJW crowd but ever since gamergate I have seen with my own eyes that these bunch of pussies have connections literally everywhere from the game industry to mainstream news media and even the movie industry. They are currently the most dominant mindset, so I'm pretty sure Hatred got an AO rating because the ones that put the rating on it had some friends on the side manipulating the final decision. I mean, if it wasn't because Gabe Newell stepped up Hatred wouldn't even have had its chance to be on Greenlight.

One word: choice. You're not encouraged to kill prostitutes it's simply something you CAN do, in this game the entire point seems to be killing innocent people, that's the goal, this is the game that those idiot parents you see on Fox news saying "GTA TELLS YOU TO KILL PROSTITUTES AND THEN GIVES YOU POINTS FOR IT!" are actually talking about.

Also I don't really see what this has to do with SJW's at all, this is a much more standard violence and political correctness related debate like the kind that used to happen in movies years ago (and still does occasionally). After what's happened in France recently as well the game is definitely going to be looked at in a much harsher light because it looks a lot more inappropriate now.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

In the age of digital distribution, this means **** all anymore.

@Gue1 said:

Likely because Rockstar has it's fingers in everything so as to guarantee the financial success of the franchise. Manhunt 2 wasn't so lucky though.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

You guys are a bunch of nimby's. This is no different than going on rampages in GTA. Stop acting all high and mighty when you know full well you love killing random peds.

Grow a set of balls.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Gue1 said:

Rockstar never mentions killing prostitutes or civilians or any of that nasty stuff in their marketing, interviews, and pre-release content. You can still do it in the game but it's not emphasized at all. While here, the entire point of Hatred is to be a crazed serial killer mowing down civilians for fun. The distinction exists and it's vital to understanding why Grand Theft Auto is M-rated but Hatred is AO.

I'm not even going to address the tin foil hat crap of your second paragraph.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 foxhound_fox

@clyde46 said:

You guys are a bunch of nimby's. This is no different than going on rampages in GTA. Stop acting all high and mighty when you know full well you love killing random peds.

Grow a set of balls.

Amen.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 uninspiredcup  Online

If it was set in France: it would probably get firebombed.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I think it deserves the AO rating and I await buying it for $1.15 during a Steam sale, playing for 5 minutes then never touching it again.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@uninspiredcup: if it featured mummand or whatever his name is then it would.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Motokid6 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Motokid6 said:

Good. Hope no one buys it.

But it looks fun.

What it is is fuel for the Nancy Grace-minded individuals to enforce their anti-video game agenda. I won't support a product developed solely for that purpose.

"Think of the children!"

Don't care. eat dorito .

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I was going to say the sexual content in GTA V wasn't explicit enough to earn an AO rating because it's usually behind closed doors and you just see the car bumping; however, I looked up some videos to confirm that was still the case (I never went out of my way in GTA V to view this) and was surprised that it was a little bit more graphic in the PS3 version (you can see the prostitute mount the character through the rear view window although chairs cover up most of the view), but the PS4 version has the first person view which places you in the car while the prostitute is riding you... I'm actually not sure how GTA V managed to stay M although there were still no breast or genitals in that scene which may be part of the reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa1dR9w273k -- PS3 version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7__X3B3Vkk -- PS4

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 foxhound_fox

@Minishdriveby said:

I was going to say the sexual content in GTA V wasn't explicit enough to earn an AO rating because it's usually behind closed doors and you just see the car bumping; however, I looked up some videos to confirm that was still the case (I never went out of my way in GTA V to view this) and was surprised that it was a little bit more graphic in the PS3 version (you can see the prostitute mount the character through the rear view window although chairs cover up most of the view), but the PS4 version has the first person view which places you in the car while the prostitute is riding you... I'm actually not sure how GTA V managed to stay M although there were still no breast or genitals in that scene which may be part of the reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa1dR9w273k -- PS3 version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7__X3B3Vkk -- PS4

I played the PS3 version not too long ago and they patched out the coverage on the stripper's nipples during the lap dance. They used to be taped up.

What really needs to happen is that the M-rating needs to be dropped to avoid this issue. All games that can be "for Mature audiences only" should be "for Adults Only". And retailers need to stop being stupid and put the games on the shelf. Gaming hasn't been "just for kids" for over a decade now.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts

Game looks beyond stupid. But someone tell me how gta doesn't get adult but this does

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Motokid6 said:

@uninspiredcup: So you support the sensorship of videogames?

Depends. If a game involved child porn or something closely alluding to it, I'd want to see it banned and the makers arrested.

However: shooting people is fine.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Don't care, won't buy. Game looks boring as hell, targeted for emo kids with anger management problems.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 uninspiredcup  Online

@funsohng said:

Game looks boring as hell, targeted for emo kids with anger management problems.

So 90% of video gamers then.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@funsohng said:

Game looks boring as hell, targeted for emo kids with anger management problems.

So 90% of video gamers then.

I'm sure there are more than 10% of gamers who are no longer underage.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 uninspiredcup  Online

@Motokid6 said:

@uninspiredcup: Just because your a emo kid with anger management problems doesn't mean you need to take your anger out on our hobby. Don't shit where you eat cup.

But I don't eat cups.