Has Xbox Become the “Why” Box?

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

In 1998 the idea that Microsoft should create a video game console was brought to Bill Gates. The idea was to create a console, based on PC parts and a Windows operating system, which would allow for ease of development and bring forth almost twice the processing power of the then dominate Playstation 2. Originally named the “DirectXbox” it eventually became what we now know as simply Xbox.

Microsoft reached out to Bungie, well known for titles such as Marathon and Myth, to create a killer launch title for their new system. Bungie who was currently working on a new IP known as Halo: Combat Evolved, which was initially slated for release on Apple and PC, was acquired by Microsoft which turned its focus away from the home computer market to release on the new Xbox console.

So began Microsoft’s journey into the home video game market, something that many had attempted before and failed. Atari exited the scene in the early 90’s, followed closely by Sega. The exits made it appear that there was only room enough for two companies in the home video game market, Sony and Nintendo. That was until Microsoft joined the fray.

When the original Xbox was released, it seemed that Microsoft had a clear goal to make a game console, with the key word being “game”. The “Death of PC Gaming” rumors had been going on for several years, with the constant fear that consoles would relegate the PC to spreadsheets and homework assignments. Therefore, it made sense that Microsoft would double down on a home video game console. The Xbox released with 20 games on launch day, including a solid line-up of sports, action, racing, and the killer launch title…Halo. The Xbox looked aggressive, with a black and green color scheme, a large X shaped design and one of the most massive controllers to come out for a console. There was no question that this was a game console designed with one purpose…to play games.

Xbox 360 followed a few years later, and again, the focus was on games. The 360 sported a smaller, sleeker, more streamlined look, masterfully redesigned controllers and around 18 launch titles. The games were a mix of racing, sports and shooter games which was a respectable line-up. It also introduced Xbox Live, a paid online service. While many moaned about having to pay for online play, something that had been free for PC and Playstation gamers, they appreciated Microsoft’s clear focus on gaming.

The announcement of the Xbox One and more importantly the required Kinect, is where things appeared to shift with Microsoft. The Xbox One still looked like an Xbox and the game controller was largely unchanged, but the discussion, while still about games, had started to change. It was now not only a game box, but a box that would integrate with your existing television service and provide voice commands to maneuver through the menus and launch titles. Microsoft also touted the Kinect as a must have device, which could be used with Skype to talk with family over your TV and the perfect motion tracking device for all the games to utilize. Even though Microsoft had expanded its focus to be more than a game system, Xbox One launched with 22 titles (and several exclusives), showing they hadn’t forgotten the gamers who had stuck with them over the years, but had they?

The Xbox (and Microsoft in general), presented an idea only to change their mind shortly after. Kinect, the redesigned device we had heard was so important, went largely unused. Microsoft failed to bring in big name AAA titles that would utilize it to its full potential. It wasn’t that the Kinect wasn’t a marvel and capable of so much more, it was that Microsoft failed to sell the idea of its capabilities not only to developers but to gamers. Instead of showing their audience why it was important to have one and to pay more for the console because of it, it was slowly killed off and relegated to most gamers closets or sold to Gamestop.

Microsoft had made claims that the Xbox One would be the system for the living room, a device that would look natural sitting next to your home AVR and Blu-ray player. They went as far as integrating an IR blaster in the Kinect to allow control of all IR devices and a pass-thru for TV to integrate with home satellite and cable service providers. Microsoft wanted the Xbox to be the center of the living room experience. It would be as irreplaceable as your cable box, your AVR, and your Blu-ray player…all in one device. This is the point I believe Microsoft lost focus on its key demographic, and the console became the jack of all trades and a master of none.

Streaming videos had begun to take the place of Blu-ray, and the rise of Smart TVs, and Roku boxes meant that for a small amount of money anyone could stream their content to their TVs. There was no longer a need to have a game console to watch Netflix. This negated much of the focus that Microsoft had placed on the all-in-one entertainment device, which pushed the Xbox One back to what its sole purpose should have been all along…to play games.

In an effort to appeal to a wider audience, Microsoft rolled out Windows 10 to Xbox One under the covers, which allowed streaming of Xbox games to PC. In addition, the initiative to release games on the Xbox One and have them playable on the PC continued the Xbox’s downward trend. The problem wasn’t the technology, the problem was finding a purpose for the once great console.

For most, the choice to play a game on their gaming PC or on their console is an easy one. Since in most cases a gaming PC will offer superior graphics and higher frame rates, PC would be the logical choice. If most games available on Xbox are also available on PC, then Microsoft is simply losing its base of console players, to their PC/Windows platform. The rise of streaming games to your TV (via Steam Big Picture) also negated one of the other advantages that the Xbox had over its PC brethren, the ability to sit on the couch and game on a big screen.

If this is true, why does Playstation continue to flourish when you can apply the same argument as far as PC gaming is concerned? The answer is…Playstation exclusives, both in quality and in quantity. This is where Sony excels, ensuring that if you want to play games from studios such as Naughty Dog, you can only do that by owning a Playstation. Fanboys on all sides will argue whether a game looks better on PS4, Xbox One or PC however the one thing that the Sony fanboys will always point to is their exclusives, which are only playable on Playstation.

Playstation continues to attract the masses because top level exclusives bring more to a console then simply the games themselves. If a decision to buy only one console is based on an exclusive game, then non-exclusive games will be purchased for that console as well. Exclusives get you in the door, but the other games ensure you stay there.

Looking at the specs of the upcoming Xbox One X, there is little reason to see it as the smaller, weaker opponent, to the Rocky Balboa Playstation 4. Xbox One X will be faster, include a 4K Blu-ray player, and will be the king of the consoles from purely a hardware specification standpoint when it’s released in November.

So why is the excitement for Xbox One X so diminished? Why are folks already questioning the successes of the console as well as Microsoft’s role in consoles in general? The answer is simple, Microsoft hasn’t given us a reason as to why we need it…why it matters. Those riding the 4K bandwagon will point to the fact that the Xbox One X is (on paper at least) capable of running games at a high frame rate, but unless you have a 4K TV then this is simply a function that will go mostly unused. The faster hardware will allow for current generation games to run at faster frame rates, improving the overall experience, but for current Xbox owners (or for those choosing between Playstation and Xbox) will that be enough to incite them to purchase an Xbox One X over their existing Xbox or Playstation? Much like the ill-fated Kinect, Microsoft tells us what it can do, tells us what it could mean for the future, but never SHOWS us why we need it. It’s great to talk about the advantages of a new device, but talk is cheap, where is the proof?

This all boils down to one thing, exclusives…games that you can play only on Xbox, and that’s where the hush falls over the crowd. When the Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One were released they released with numerous launch titles, many of which were exclusives. However looking at Xbox One X, there are very few launch titles and Crackdown 3, which was supposed to be the killer launch exclusive has been delayed into 2018. Microsoft announced they would be updating their legacy titles to take advantage of the improved visuals (130 and counting), but once again if gamers don’t have a 4K TV is that a reason to go out and immediately buy and Xbox One X? Adoption of 4K has been slow, and while the visuals may look breathtaking, even photo realistic in some cases (Forza 7 does look amazing), is that a reason to upgrade?

It feels as though Microsoft is still trying to figure out what it wants to be. The platform is there for them to make a bold statement. The fact that it runs on Windows 10 means it should be able to attract development studios based on familiarity of that alone…so where are they? Regardless of what fanboys will argue, the world needs Xbox to be successful…success brings competition which drives innovation, and ultimately lowers prices. However, Microsoft needs to give the world a reason to buy one. Flashy graphics and high frame rates while great on paper, don’t sell consoles…games sell consoles and exclusives make all the difference.

http://sknr.net/2017/09/23/xbox-become-box/

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

Dude, you don't even try anymore :(

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By soapandbubbles

@davillain- said:

Nothing to try, it's just fact. Why don't you counter the argument, would love to read your take on it. :)

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Why does it have to be an essay?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@soapandbubbles said:
@davillain- said:

Nothing to try, it's just fact. Why don't you counter the argument, would love to read your take on it. :)

He's your chance dav to take it to a cow, c'mon man don't let me down.

As for me, well i'm not reading all that, i'll just say 2 Xbox damage control threads in a couple of days by bubbles. I will just say the cows are shook from the monster known simply as X.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

That's nice.

*Goes to play Forza*

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

You know what, I'm about to start college and English class is going to be one of my first classes.

This could be helpful.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soapandbubbles

@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@davillain- said:

As for me, well i'm not reading all that, i'll just say 2 Xbox damage control threads in a couple of days by bubbles. I will just say the cows are shook from the monster known simply as X.

It's about the games fool, can't believe people are falling for MS Hardware Power BS......guess it's the only way they can gain any sort of recognition these days. Desperation. lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@soapandbubbles said:
@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@davillain- said:

It's about the games fool, can't believe people are falling for MS Hardware Power BS......guess it's the only way they can gain any sort of recognition these days. Desperation. lol

You have so much time and games, yet you're on SW creating these kind of damage control threads, yet you wanna talk about the desperation of others. Go play some of these games you cows are always talking about.

The fact is that these games get played more by cows on SW then they do in real life. It's ok if Sony doesn't have a power advantage, you cows can always run to your PC's lol.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By soapandbubbles

@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@davillain- said:

You have so much time and games, yet you're on SW creating these kind of damage control threads, yet you wanna talk about the desperation of others. Go play some of these games you cows are always talking about.

The fact is that these games get played more by cows on SW then they do in real life. It's ok if Sony doesn't have a power advantage, you cows can always run to your PC's lol.

PS4 is currently the most powerful console out.....FACT. In 2 years when the PS5 comes out it'll destroy the xbox one X, your point?

Btw, playing the PS4 on a daily basis.....relax ;)

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@soapandbubbles:

The problem is most large PC OEMs are not mass producing gaming PCs with large GPU, smaller CPU ratio box and game console price target. This is not including AMD/ATI, NVIDIA and Intel hardware features politics that MS has to mediate on the PC platform. PC's different DirectX12 Feature Level and optional features shows some GPU vendor's recalcitrant attitudes on following MS's requested features.

I'm old enough to test Windows Vista "Longhorn" beta builds with it's improved UI graphics effect and it's downgrade in the RTM release build after Intel's intervention.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

The main reason for Xbox existence is to remove PC's hardware feature politics which enables MS to move faster with UI and media processing improvements evolution at a game console price points.

Microsoft's involvement with game console has existed before 1998. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Hombre_chipset

Commodore Amiga's Hombre chip-set was targeting OpenGL and Windows NT 3.x.

The System Controller chip was designed by Dr. Ed Hepler, well known as the designer of the AAA Andrea chip. The chip is similar in principle to the chip bus controller found in Agnus, Alice, and Andrea of the Amiga chipsets. The chip features the following:

• A 100+ MHz PA-7150SIMD microprocessor
  • An advanced DMA engine and blitter with 3D texture mapping and gouraud shading
  • 16-bit resolution sound processor with eight voices

The Display Controller Chip was designed by Tim McDonald, also known as the designer of the AAA Monica chip. It is similar in principle to the Denise, Lisa, and Monica chips found on original Amigas. In addition, the chipset also supported future official or third party upgrades through extension for an external PA-RISC processor.

These chips and some other circuitry would be part of a PCI card, through the ReTargetable Graphics system.

There were plans to port the AmigaOS Exec kernel to low-end systems, but this was not possible due to financial troubles facing Commodore at that time. Therefore, a licensed OpenGL library was to be used for the low-end entertainment system.

The original plan for the Hombre-based computer system was to have Windows NT compatibility, with native AmigaOS recompiled for the new big-endian CPU to run legacy 68k Amiga software through emulation. Commodore chose the PA-7150 microprocessor over the MIPSR3000 microprocessor and first generation embedded PowerPC microprocessors, mainly because these low-cost microprocessors were unqualified to run Windows NT. This wasn't the case for the 64-bitMIPSR4200, but it was rejected for its high price at the time.

Features[edit]

Hombre was designed as a clean break from traditional Amiga chipset architecture with no planar graphics mode support. Commodore also decided to drop support of the original Amiga eight sprites because at the time sprites became less attractive to developers for its limitations compared to fast blitters. Despite lack of compatibility, Hombre introduced modern technologies including these:

• a fill rate of 30 million 3D rendered pixels per second (similar to Sony's PlayStation performance)
  • 16-bit chunky graphic modes (to reduce costs, Commodore abandoned 256 color mode with Color LUT registers)
  • 32-bit chunky with 8-bit alpha channel
  • 1280 × 1024 pixel progressive resolution with a 24-bit color palette
  • one sprite with a 24-bit color palette, used for the mouse pointer
  • four playfields at 16-bit graphics mode each
  • 3D texture mapping engine
  • Gouraud shading
  • Z-buffering
  • YUV compatibility with JPEG support
  • Standard TV and HDTV compatibility
  • 64-bit internal data bus and registers

The chipset could be sold either as a high end PCI graphics card with minimal peripherals ASICs and 64-bit DRAM, or as a lower cost CD-ROM based game system (CD64) using cheap 32-bitDRAM. It could also be used for set-top box embedded systems.

According to Dr. Ed Hepler, Hombre was to be fabricated in 0.6 µm 3-level metal CMOS with the help of Hewlett-Packard. HP had fabricated the AGA Lisa chip and collaborated in the design of the AAA chipset.

Commodore was planning to adopt the Acutiator architecture designed by Dave Haynie for Hombre before it filed bankruptcy and went out of business.

This is before Sega Dreamcast and MS's push Windows CE on this hardware.

MS run out gaming centric hardware partners (.e.g. Commodore gone bust, Sega exited hardware business) and decided to release it's own game console hardware.

If Commodore-Amiga entity was alive, Amiga CD64 would have been Windows NT capable gaming console with Playstation1 like hardware performance level. It's chip-set would be PC's high end PCI graphics card with OpenGL compatibility.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#12  Edited By oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

That was a funny read.

It had a lot of revisionist history and was seasoned with personal hyperbole opined as facts.

I think the funniest part was the talk of diminished excitement for the Xbox One X and how no one really cares about 4K and how slow its been to be adopted.

Having actually played a bunch of games on the X1X and talked to a bunch of other people that did the same, I have yet to meet anyone that actually has tried it to be anything less than impressed by the console. (I'm not even a graphics whore and I was impressed with what it could do to the point of seeing it as a game changer.)

Then it falls back on the old system war standard of exclusives. Which actually hold a lot more weight in this forum than they do in the real world. Not saying exclusives arent nice, but its not the driving factor that this forum makes them out to be unless you're talking about Nintendo, when the bulk of gamers on both PS and Xbox mostly play the same games. This forum is mostly a collection of gamers with the same tastes that arent the tastes of the majority of gamers by a long shot. Its an echo chamber of validation for elitists, with a heavily single player, Japanese bias. And I'm not saying theres anything wrong with that. But passing this off as how average gamers are is a bit obtuse.

Step outside your bubble and try to see the long game. PS3 got beaten up pretty badly most of last gen for most of the gen but managed to turn it around. This gen is only half way over. Yes Xbox was solidly beaten in the first half, thats the point of the reset, which so far has been going pretty well for MS. I actually think that their 'if we build it they will come' strategy is a pretty solid one.

At least wait til after the console launches before throwing the baby out with the bathwater. We waited two years for the PS4 to actually produce anything worthy and it really didnt hit a stride until this year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@soapandbubbles said:
@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@i_p_daily said:

PS4 is currently the most powerful console out.....FACT. In 2 years when the PS5 comes out it'll destroy the xbox one X, your point?

Well the PRO is currently the most powerful console out, now that's fact, and the fact that you had to mention a PS5 coming out in 2yrs just proves my point that you're salty that come November Sony won't have the "worlds most powerful console" lol

2 threads and multiple posts prove you don't "play" it everyday, and after that massive essay it's you who needs to relax lol.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@davillain- said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

That's nice.

*Goes to play Forza*

Lol!

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

OP speaks the truth. Everything he said is true. Xbox One X is the next failure from Xbox.

That Phil Spencer guy already admitted that the X1X is not going to sell much, will flop and is just for enthusiasts.

X1X hype is at an all time low.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 soapandbubbles

@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@i_p_daily said:

Well the PRO is currently the most powerful console out, now that's fact, and the fact that you had to mention a PS5 coming out in 2yrs just proves my point that you're salty that come November Sony won't have the "worlds most powerful console" lol

2 threads and multiple posts prove you don't "play" it everyday, and after that massive essay it's you who needs to relax lol.

I meant the PRO, which is still a PS4 lol. PS5 coming out at around 2 years is common sense, nothing to be salty about since the original PS4 launched 2013. It's kinda sad that you're only arugment is console POWER. for me the PS4 pro is more than good enough concerning visuals and we all know it can get better due to optimization/art style, etc.

2 threads and multiple post doesn't take up 24 hrs a day of my time...lol. actually they take minutes to make giving me countless of hours in between my job.....chill. As for the essay, it was a copy and past fool, I linked the source. Sucks you're not very bright.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Lol... trolls don't even try nowadays. It's sad.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

@soapandbubbles: I'm not even interest in the damn X1X at all. I have a high-end PC and I see no points talking about how bad MS are cause well, it's pretty well known here on SW many times.

Edit: also you guys, please take my name off the quote-chain and thanks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@soapandbubbles said:
@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:

I meant the PRO, which is still a PS4 lol. PS5 coming out at around 2 years is common sense, nothing to be salty about since the original PS4 launched 2013. It's kinda sad that you're only arugment is console POWER. for me the PS4 pro is more than good enough concerning visuals and we all know it can get better due to optimization/art style, etc.

2 threads and multiple post doesn't take up 24 hrs a day of my time...lol. actually they take minutes to make giving me countless of hours in between my job.....chill. As for the essay, it was a copy and past fool, I linked the source. Sucks you're not very bright.

People with glass houses and all that lol.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

After reading all that, I got to thinking: Why isn't the Xbox One X just a PC/Console like those Alienware things? I wouldn't mind having a console version of PC if that makes sense. It's a console that runs Windows 10, so any PC games that runs on Windows 10 should be able to be installed and played on the Xbox. I'd love for the PC exclusives to run on a simple plug and play box(aka console). Games like StarCraft 2 would get me to dish out the money. Summary: A PC without the bloat with the physical size of the X, for $500, that plays all PC games(This would include all Xbox games). Seems that's where Microsoft's focus should be.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@i_p_daily: I know fanboys take about the difference in power between the PS4 and Xbox One, but has Sony ever advertised the PS4 or Pro as the World's most powerful console? I've seen several commercials but never heard that. Even when they revealed the Pro, they didn't seem to brag about it being the most powerful console.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Cheesus Christ, I'm not reading all of that. Get a hobby, TC. Maybe try gaming.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By soapandbubbles

@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:

So i guess there's something wrong by linking and quoting an article that has makes a valid arguement? I'm made enough threads summing up my own opinions on the matter. Back in the box you go fool.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@i_p_daily: I know fanboys take about the difference in power between the PS4 and Xbox One, but has Sony ever advertised the PS4 or Pro as the World's most powerful console? I've seen several commercials but never heard that. Even when they revealed the Pro, they didn't seem to brag about it being the most powerful console.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

they did it with the ps4 and the pro worlds most powerful consoles now they have to take those down or something when the x comes out

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JoshRMeyer

@ProtossRushX: I don't think those are U.S. commercials so I guess that's why I've never seen them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@soapandbubbles said:
@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:
@i_p_daily said:
@soapandbubbles said:

So i guess there's something wrong by linking and quoting an article that has makes a valid arguement? I'm made enough threads summing up my own opinions on the matter. Back in the box you go fool.

Why so mad :(

Why do I feel like i'm talking to Mr T, ya fool lol.

@joshrmeyer said:

Enjoy :)

Loading Video...

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

Hardcore super Xbox fanatic asking someone to take on a cow, what a freaking joke. Maybe the Xbox fanatic should take on a fellow Xbox fanatic.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By soapandbubbles

@brandshatch said:
@soapandbubbles said:

That shows really how little you actually know about hardware road maps lol.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-to-launch-in-2019-and-will-be-another-half-ste/1100-6451610/

He might not always be right, but i'm totally agreeing with him.....please take the time to read the article. If you disagree.......feel free to give us your argument as to why it won't. Perhaps an article or source to back it up.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Didn't read any of that. What's this thread about?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@tigerbalm said:

Hardcore super Xbox fanatic asking someone to take on a cow, what a freaking joke. Maybe the Xbox fanatic should take on a fellow Xbox fanatic.

Maybe he can take on a cow such as you, but then again you just come into most threads take a dump and leave. The reason I said that was because for someone who claims to be a "manticore" he never takes on any cows/herms/sheep here just lems.

Maybe you can take on a fellow cow.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Another one of these threads by the OP? lol the X1X has the OP in such a panic he is going into full blown meltdown.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

yeah, like "why are people hating on it, it's great"

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

TC is shook, Dav is a cow not a manticore and cows talking about X1X more than lems...those are SWs facts.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

To be fair the same could be Said about the PS4.... consoles at this point is just prebuilt pc'a that offer nothing the pc can't duplicate easily... besides a few exclusives and that is also soon a thing of the past...

The only relevant console imo is the switch that offer something the pc can't duplicate and also acces to Nintendos huuuge exclusive library...

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Didn't read any of that. What's this thread about?

cow insecurity

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ronvalencia

@joshrmeyer said:

After reading all that, I got to thinking: Why isn't the Xbox One X just a PC/Console like those Alienware things? I wouldn't mind having a console version of PC if that makes sense. It's a console that runs Windows 10, so any PC games that runs on Windows 10 should be able to be installed and played on the Xbox. I'd love for the PC exclusives to run on a simple plug and play box(aka console). Games like StarCraft 2 would get me to dish out the money. Summary: A PC without the bloat with the physical size of the X, for $500, that plays all PC games(This would include all Xbox games). Seems that's where Microsoft's focus should be.

1. Alienware price range wasn't targeting game console's price range.

2. Xbox One has enforced DRM which is geared towards the game developers and other media content providers.

3. Xbox One's software installation packaging format is different from the PC's Windows MSI format.

4. Xbox One's Windows 10 driver model is different from PC's Windows 10 driver model which makes XBO's Direct3D API very efficient.

@carlosdanger said:

It's no secret that Microsoft's investors have been wanting to kill off Xbox for a while now, and Steve Balmer even begged Microsoft to keep Xbox alive before he stepped down from CEO.

Only from some investors who doesn't have 50.1 percent voting rights.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ronvalencia
@soapandbubbles said:
@brandshatch said:
@soapandbubbles said:

That shows really how little you actually know about hardware road maps lol.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-to-launch-in-2019-and-will-be-another-half-ste/1100-6451610/

He might not always be right, but i'm totally agreeing with him.....please take the time to read the article. If you disagree.......feel free to give us your argument as to why it won't. Perhaps an article or source to back it up.

The problem with future GPU performance upgrade is the lack of cheap new high performance DRAM at mainstream prices.

For example

PS4 Pro stays with mainstream GDDR5-7000 chips which mirror entry level med range RX-470D's and RX-570's 256 bit GDDR5-7000 setup. AMD GPU's TFLOPS growth has out paced DRAM improvement pace.

X1X stays with mainstream GDDR5-6800 memory chips but with 384 bits setup.

HBM v2, GDDR5X-11000, GDDR5X-10000, GDDR5-9000, GDDR5-8000 hasn't reach game consoles and RX-570's price points.

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lexxluger
Member since 2017 • 599 Posts

@oflow said:

That was a funny read.

It...was seasoned with personal hyperbole opined as facts.

... exclusives. Which actually hold a lot more weight in this forum than they do in the real world. ....its not the driving factor that this forum makes them out to be...

Talk about irony, on top of sounding much more out of touch with the actual state of things with their opinion than the OP with his essay.

This section of you post pretty much robs you of any credibility when you actually started out with an otherwise reasonable post.

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By lexxluger
Member since 2017 • 599 Posts

@eliminatorpaige said:

You really think anybody is going to read all that?

Eh It wasn't a hard read, and yeah, I read it.

I wanted to see where it was going and when I saw that it was a copy and paste I was a little disappointed.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

Damn that's a long post.

Powerful console definitely can be a motivating purchase.

MS's problem (IMO) is they're showcasing it with Forza. Should have locked up a third party (big one) or had something amazing (technical show piece) at launch.

It'll still sell. Maybe that amazing game that shows off its power is in the pipeline.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

I was reading an early interview with J Allard the other day, pre-Xbox launch, and he stated that for the all the power the machine has ultimately it's all about the games. It's a shame they don't revisit that original mandate, although maybe the X is a step towards that and we'll see a gradual felching of games from the PC, who knows.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JoshRMeyer

@ronvalencia: You told me why it isn't currently capable of running PC games... Can you tell me why it wouldn't be a good idea for the future? You could be a console gamer playing PC games without dealing with the bloat and other issues that keep people from current PC gaming, at an affordable cost.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

It's been the WHYbox since the announcement of the X. Why make a new console with literally no exclusives.