has the chip shortage affected the switch pro?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

I feel like if it wasn't for the chip shortage, the oled model would have had a more advanced chip. Just think about it, the shortage has been so bad, that its reported car manufacturers will sell 11 million less vehicles this year as a result. In this kind of environment, nintendo would be stupid to try and get a newer chip...just imagine how that would have affected the supply and demand of the console. In terms of business sense, I think nintendo made the correct choice.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

It's an electronics device... so yes.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Yeah that’s kind of what I was thinking as well. I think that had it not been for the chip shortage we would have had a more beefed up Switch model instead of just simply the OLED model that is currently releasing. Hopefully in the next couple of years we’ll get a more powerful Switch model.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

There was never going to be a Switch Pro for the same reasons people like me told you months ago that it wasn't going to happen. The current Switch is selling too well.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38719 Posts

No. Prooft? N I N T E N D O. This company is OK with their games looking like this

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Nah not necessarily... I don't think we would've got one this year anyway. Like said above, Switch is still selling like crazy. No need for it.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blaznwiipspman1

@hrt_rulz01: thats not true..with the next gen consoles released, the switch is starting to look really badly outdated. They could have gone with a pro model, and they might have but they had no breathing room to take such a risk in the current environment. That's my opinion though.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hrt_rulz01: thats not true..with the next gen consoles released, the switch is starting to look really badly outdated. They could have gone with a pro model, and they might have but they had no breathing room to take such a risk in the current environment. That's my opinion though.

Why? Most Switch owners couldn't care less about 4K or ray tracing. They want good, fun games, not walking sim shovelware. You people always whine that the Switch needs to be the one to change when they're dominating other consoles. I'll GLADLY take a 1080p system with fun gameplay than anything the PS5 offers, which at this point is still next to nothing.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#9 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

I'll leave this here.

https://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-oled-comparison-massive-screen-upgrade/

Loading Video...

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GameboyTroy

@hardwenzen said:

No. Prooft? N I N T E N D O. This company is OK with their games looking like this

By modern console standards, this looks bad.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@eoten: thats fine and all but theres a limit to how crappy a $400 console should be. At best, the switch is on the level of the ps3. We're approaching 2022, and the crappiness of switch hardware is almost unforgivable. The console is literally 12 years behind the xbox and ps5. It's good you're ok with 1080p, so am I, but you could have 2 different games at 1080p, for example minecraft, a game of blocks could be played at 1080p, and that is much less stressful than a game like forza at 1080p.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Most consumers have voted with their wallets and think the current Switch's graphics are just fine in 2021... and they are. Chances are, if you're not fine with them, then you'll not be satisfied with PS5 or XSX or even what PCs are capable of. That means you'll just never be happy with tech and probably aren't much of a gamer to begin with if you obsess with graphics and frame rates and hardware innards.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

I hear the silicon shortage outlook just got worse too. I doubt it will stop Nintendo from making an upgrade jump though as others have pointed out it is still selling phenomenally and likely they'll start moving toward a new product when the market compels them to.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Should head to my dad's work... They typically carry $15,000,000 worth of vehicle inventory, and literally have a single car left for sale aside from the demo vehicles. With regards to a Pro model, not too sure.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen

@GameboyTroy said:
@hardwenzen said:

By modern console standards, this looks bad.

That's early ps3 kind of bad.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
@eoten said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Why? Most Switch owners couldn't care less about 4K or ray tracing. They want good, fun games, not walking sim shovelware. You people always whine that the Switch needs to be the one to change when they're dominating other consoles. I'll GLADLY take a 1080p system with fun gameplay than anything the PS5 offers, which at this point is still next to nothing.

Lol, well said.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

Ask yourself this, was there ever going to be a Switch Pro from the start? Chip shortage or not, those were nothing but rumors and what you are getting is just OLED which isn't much of an upgrade. I hate comparing this but the Steam Deck is pretty much your Switch Pro or rather just Switch 2.

The Switch's biggest weakness is not that the low power means worse version, but that the low power means it misses out on everything. With a beefier Pro and Ninty's history with console version exclusive games I can see a Pro getting access to a heap of games my current Switch can't run at all, thus making my existing product functionally obsolete, rather than merely lesser. I don't want that to happen, if it's enough of a jump to handle modern gaming, just make a Switch 2 Nintendo aka next-gen.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@eoten said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Lol, well said.

I don't get you two. The Pro would never offer 4k or RT, so i am not too sure why these are even considered. What it could've offered is a native 1080p OLED screen and hardware that could at least handle games on Medium/Low at 60fps. Instead, everything looks like its running three stages below the Low setting, and every game is running under 30fps, often in mid teens.

Why is it that you Nintendo fans/sheep always associate a more powerful system with cinematic games? Why do you always pretend like low power of a Nintendo system is what guarantees quality gameplay? On what planet are y'all at???

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@davillain- said:

Ask yourself this, was there ever going to be a Switch Pro from the start? Chip shortage or not, those were nothing but rumors and what you are getting is just OLED which isn't much of an upgrade. I hate comparing this but the Steam Deck is pretty much your Switch Pro or rather just Switch 2.

The Switch's biggest weakness is not that the low power means worse version, but that the low power means it misses out on everything. With a beefier Pro and Ninty's history with console version exclusive games I can see a Pro getting access to a heap of games my current Switch can't run at all, thus making my existing product functionally obsolete, rather than merely lesser. I don't want that to happen, if it's enough of a jump to handle modern gaming, just make a Switch 2 Nintendo aka next-gen.

The thing is no one system will do it all for everyone. Even the Steam Deck will not provide 4k 60 with Dolbly Atmos and Dolby Vision. No PS5 or Series X or bulky PC is going to fit in someone's cargo shorts pocket and be playable at the doctor's office.

That's why any dedicated gamer is going to have more than one system to achieve what the other one can't. That's why Switch missing out on high end AAA games is a ok, as it will have the kinds of games that compliment them. No need to have three or four game systems that are exactly the same. I've been beating people over the head with these facts on game forums across the land, but it never takes root. There is this constant disconnect between normal consumers and dedicated gamers who can't see things except through their own rose tinted glasses.

But yeah, Nintendo will make the Switch 2 when they're ready for it, but it would be a very stupid business decision for them to not wait for sales of the current Switch to die down significantly.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

I don't think they were ever planning it to be honest. i think all the rumours were just wishful thinking. the tech just isn't there at the price point Nintendo want it to be at.

At the moment the best that would have happened is nintendo would have taken the PS4 pro approach. double the cuda core count and increase the clocks a bit on a smaller node. that form of switch pro would have been as pointless as the XSX and PS4 pro. a complete waste of time.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GameboyTroy
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:
@davillain- said:

The thing is no one system will do it all for everyone. Even the Steam Deck will not provide 4k 60 with Dolbly Atmos and Dolby Vision. No PS5 or Series X or bulky PC is going to fit in someone's cargo shorts pocket and be playable at the doctor's office.

That's why any dedicated gamer is going to have more than one system to achieve what the other one can't. That's why Switch missing out on high end AAA games is a ok, as it will have the kinds of games that compliment them. No need to have three or four game systems that are exactly the same. I've been beating people over the head with these facts on game forums across the land, but it never takes root. There is this constant disconnect between normal consumers and dedicated gamers who can't see things except through their own rose tinted glasses.

But yeah, Nintendo will make the Switch 2 when they're ready for it, but it would be a very stupid business decision for them to not wait for sales of the current Switch to die down significantly.

And for once we agree on this. I'm okay what I have now, I just treat my Switch just to play Nintendo exclusives and very little 3rd-party games. Plus Nintendo is only looking out for Nintendo, and until the Switch sales dies down, we won't be seeing next-gen Nintendo for a long time since the OLED sales needs to die down first.