Has Sony shown they don't need the best graphical power?

• 87 results
PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Its not even a competition who has the best looking games between Xbox and PlayStation. I don't think Sony care in slightest if the Xbox has a power advantage over the PS5. Sony studios will be putting out the better looking games well into next gen. MS has been losing since uncharted 2!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

But does the PS5 will more power?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

I don’t know about that. I think Sony still cares about how their system stands up to Microsoft’s in term of horsepower. I would say that it’s more apt to say that Nintendo is much less worried about raw horsepower then either Sony or Microsoft.

Jobbiejab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jobbiejab
Member since 2019 • 0 Posts

FH4 on the xb1x. Is the best looking console exclusive I have played

And that includes horizon and god of war

Hellblade on the x is the best looking multiplat

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

They won 3 out of 4 gens without the best graphics so yeah.. they don’t need it..

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44556 Posts

I am sure power will be a factor early on, it was this gen and Sony not only had an edge compared to XB1 with multiplatform game performance early on, they were better poised in price too. And I am not talking about first party production values, sure this too is important as a differentiating factor when choosing between and Xbox or PlayStation, but multiplats still make up a bigger chunk of either system's library, so in that sense, whichever console will make these same games look better I think might be important to some.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

If they are in the same ballpark they will have the best looking games. But if it's like 2x weaker the power gap would be to much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The console with the best graphical power has never won a single generation. Going all the way back to the Atari 2600 until now, the best selling console of every generation has never been the one with the best graphical power.

Price and marketing are much more important.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

MS have been seriously shifting toward a more first-party oriented next-gen (as they've shat the bed in this one,) and the X is showing superior hardware. It seems to me that they're gearing up to compete heavily, but we'll see if that pans out or not.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69421 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

The console with the best graphical power has never won a single generation. Going all the way back to the Atari 2600 until now, the best selling console of every generation has never been the one with the best graphical power.

This is false. PS4 has dominated this gen and has held the power advantage over its competitors for 3 years of this gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Don't worry, Sony will have a nitro to go along with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

The real question is, why does a PC gamer in the UK care about consoles???

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@Pedro: Than same can be said with PS2 before Xbox and game cube join in lol

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5873 Posts

They had the best price/performance ratio, that's why they did well.

That and the crazy shift in focus by MS early on.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Absolutely. But it's been this way for a while.

Call your mind back to Resident Evil 5, the actual graphics at the time were not really boundary pushing, but the production values and presentation were such that it generally looked better than most (argubly all) pc games barring possibly, Crysis.

It's a real problem for the PC MASTERRACE. They buy the expensive hardware, but all the budget gets pumped into console gaming, because that's what sells. So, you have basically have closet-console gamers now, still pretending the dream is alive.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pedro  Online

@ni6htmare01: Nope.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#17 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@PCgameruk:

Sony cares enough about power but the talent of the developers will always reign supreme. So PS5 will still have the better looking games in the end.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@PCgameruk said:

Its not even a competition who has the best looking games between Xbox and PlayStation. I don't think Sony care in slightest if the Xbox will more power over the PS5. Sony studios will be putting out the better looking games well into next gen. MS has been losing since uncharted 2!

PS4 Pro has

• GPU with 40 CU and 8 GB 256bit GDDR5-7000 (RX-470 price segment memory modules). 36 CU active. Memory shared with CPU. Sony selected Vega CU i.e. Sony focused on rapid pack maths compute.
  • CPU with 1 GB DDR3 memory pool connected via the south-bridge.

X1X has

• GPU with 44 CU and 12 GB 384 bit GDDR5-6800 (RX-470 price segment memory modules). 40 CU active. Memory shared with CPU.

On BOM chip parts, both X1X and PS4 Pro is close with X1X's GPU being 2nd gen 16 nm design, hence increased TFLOPS and ROPS design from nearly Vega ROPS. MS focused on raster power improvements.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

I think PS5 and Nextbox will continue to be very close to eachother in graphics, and the slight edge that one have over the other wont matter for sales at all.

Most people think PlayStation is the place to play videogames, and most people don't even see any difference in graphics between PS and Xbox. So PlayStation will sell more, since it's the mainstream choice. The only thing Sony has to do to stay on top is up the graphics, have the same controller and do the same kind of games. They have it very easy compared to Microsoft and Nintendo who has to innovate.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

But does the PS5 will more power?

He's from UK, don't listen to him. Subpar taste in games and apparently Engrish is subpar as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@Pedro said:
@storm_of_swords said:

This is false. PS4 has dominated this gen and has held the power advantage over its competitors for 3 years of this gen.

But it's not the most powerful console of this generation, the Xbox One X is the most powerful console to release this generation. Therefore, like I said, the best selling console of every generation has never been the one with the best graphical power.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

To win sales you don't need the best graphical power as the wii showed. But if you're a gamer all that matters is the library and it certainly helps if you have graphical power in the same ball park of your major competitors.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Only people that cared for power was us here. The casuals that dictate the market don't care, since they are fine playing on phones. They will like hearing it, but minecraft and fortnite will barely be different from their phone versions.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

If they launch the same year 2020 which seems highly likely the PS5/BONE2 will most likely be the same power. They will both throw in some garbage terms like dedicated cloud physics GPU backup power pack which ends up doing absolute nothing, but essentially they will be equal.

I doubt there will be a difference like PS4>BONE or BONEX>Pro

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

Graphics matter for HD consoles like Xbox and PS. People don't look at nintendo the same way as HD consoles so people don't compare nintendo systems.

With that said, the TRUTH is most people usually don't care about differences between multiplats unless they are hugely apparent or crippling.

When the average gamer sees:

This

or this

for a multipat and they own a base PS4, most people are going to say:

"So why exactly should I pay $100 to $200 more to play the same game that look virtually with no performance increase?"

That is why exclusives are so important to peoples perception of the most powerful system and the system they'd choose to buy over another.

Contrary to what Xbox and PC fans think, multiplats, being the same game on all systems unless there is a significant difference (which usually isn't the case) "power" DOSEN'T prompt consumers to purchase those boxes over Playstation because Playstation consistently SHOWS consumers superior looking exclusive games on their system!

The X launched 2017 with 6T of power, 2TF more "powerful" than PS4 Pro and 4TF more "powerful" than base PS4. MS and xbox fanboys screamed power power power & declared xbox the graphics king.

Yet when consumers looks at the high profile games that came out 2019 for each system all they SEE is.

Xbox one X

vs

BASE PS4

The difference in price and power vs tangible results in we what we actually see in games isn't worth the investment for most people who are LOOKING at those results.

This is why the "power" narrative doesn't work for xbox fans.

Casuals don't care about multiplats that look and play virtually the same on all systems. With PS5 and xbox xbox reported to both be supporting 4k60, the better mutiplat narrative will matter even LESS next gen.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

@boxrekt said:

Graphics matter for HD consoles like Xbox and PS. People don't look at nintendo the same way as HD consoles so people don't compare nintendo systems.

With that said, the TRUTH is most people usually don't care about differences between multiplats unless they are hugely apparent or crippling.

When the average gamer sees:

This

or this

for a multipat and they own a base PS4, most people are going to say:

"So why exactly should I pay $100 to $200 more to play the same game that look virtually with no performance increase?"

That is why exclusives are so important to peoples perception of the most powerful system and the system they'd choose to buy over another.

Contrary to what Xbox and PC fans think, multiplats, being the same game on all systems unless there is a significant difference (which usually isn't the case) "power" DOSEN'T prompt consumers to purchase those boxes over Playstation because Playstation consistently SHOWS consumers superior looking exclusive games on their system!

The X launched 2017 with 6T of power, 2TF more "powerful" than PS4 Pro and 4TF more "powerful" than base PS4. MS and xbox fanboys screamed power power power & declared xbox the graphics king.

Yet when consumers looks at the high profile games that came out 2019 for each system all they SEE is.

Xbox one X

vs

BASE PS4

The difference in price and power vs tangible results in we what we actually see in games isn't worth the investment for most people who are LOOKING at those results.

This is why the "power" narrative doesn't work for xbox fans.

Casuals don't care about multiplats that look and play virtually the same on all systems. With PS5 and xbox xbox reported to both be supporting 4k60, the better mutiplat narrative will matter even LESS next gen.

Probably woulda helped your point if most of your images didn't have "PS4 Pro Image" in the bottom corner.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BoxRekt

@Steppy_76: I was looking for all base PS4 images, but you get my point I'm sure.

I could do the same with most X titles since it released 2017 and I'm sure you know this.

Edit:

replaced for ya :)

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Odd that the vast majority of graphics threads on this board are created by Sony fans.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BoxRekt

@GarGx1 said:

Odd that the vast majority of graphics threads on this board are created by Sony fans.

It is odd because xbox and PC fanboys always claim to have the best graphics but never have any games to show it off.

Catch 22.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@boxrekt said:
@GarGx1 said:

It is odd because xbox and PC fanboys always claim to have the best graphics but never have any games to show it off.

Catch 22.

We can fill this thread with ray traced images of Metro and Battlefield 5 if you want.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Graphics haven't been important since early last generation for the majority.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts
@briguyb13 said:

Graphics haven't been important since early last generation for the majority.

Except for SWarriors ^^ !!!!

Thanks God, it's only a infinitesimal fraction of the huge gamers population!!!

This, they tend to forget.

And some silly Hermits as well, not to be mixed with the above...coz Master whatever you know.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Its also shown that Sony don't need the best gameplay either lol.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BoxRekt

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@boxrekt said:
@GarGx1 said:

Catch 22.

We can fill this thread with ray traced images of Metro and Battlefield 5 if you want.

lol go ahead and show off your unplayable ray-traced multiplat images that make you look even more desperate and dumb.

We all know you hermits claim that playing games at anything less than 60fps is unplayable. Never mind the fact that most of you are not playing every game 4k60 but pretend it's free on PC.

Now, just for combat consoles superior graphics, you're willing to post 12fps 4k raytraced images just to say, "look at these PC graphix!!!!"

1. All you have are multiplats that are virtually identical console counterparts and 2. For it to be playable, especially according to PC fanboy standards, ray-tracing isn't an option on PC at the moment.

Lastly, what are your PC specs?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56072 Posts

PS5 specs & power-wise isn't something I'm gonna care about. I'm only interest what new IP games will PS5 have is way more important then power itself. Gamers still have yet to learn power doesn't win the console war, it's the delivery of the exclusive it carries with. This gen, both Sony & Nintendo just happens to have the best exclusive on their consoles and MS was all too focus on having the most powerful console but barely any AAA exclusive to show for.

You can have the most powerful console, but are you gonna have the best exclusive games to show for? Looking at you MS. I'm gonna go with a yes to this question, Sony doesn't really need to have the most powerful console, just good games. MS at the start of this gen just happens to pick poorly specs but Sony just happens to pick whichever works best.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@Litchie said:

I think PS5 and Nextbox will continue to be very close to eachother in graphics, and the slight edge that one have over the other wont matter for sales at all.

Most people think PlayStation is the place to play videogames, and most people don't even see any difference in graphics between PS and Xbox. So PlayStation will sell more, since it's the mainstream choice. The only thing Sony has to do to stay on top is up the graphics, have the same controller and do the same kind of games. They have it very easy compared to Microsoft and Nintendo who has to innovate.

This.

I only see MS winning if they introduce their "netflix of gaming" version and are successful.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts
@boxrekt said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@boxrekt said:
@GarGx1 said:

Catch 22.

lol go ahead and show off your unplayable ray-traced multiplat images that make you look even more desperate and dumb.

We all know you hermits claim that playing games at anything less than 60fps is unplayable. Never mind the fact that most of you are not playing every game 4k60 but pretend it's free on PC.

Now, just for combat consoles superior graphics, you're willing to post 12fps 4k raytraced images just to say, "look at these PC graphix!!!!"

1. All you have are multiplats that are virtually identical console counterparts and 2. For it to be playable, especially according to PC fanboy standards, ray-tracing isn't an option on PC at the moment.

U make no sense.

You first mention that PC has no games to showcase for it. Then a guy reacts towards you with games to showcase for it.

Then you start rambling about fps / resolutions / average PC person... like this has anything to do with anything the guy reacted on?

Also what has your average PC gamer to do with anything?

Also Raytracing is perfectly usable on PC?

PC has a lot more then just multiplats?

And what has his PC specs to do with anything?

Then you keep mentioning 4k60 fps that PC gamers are chasing for. Which proves ven more how completely out of scope you are with PC gamer market or anything PC gamer related when it comes to the visual department.

Seems like you are extremely upset that playstation atm is the bottom feeder on the visual department and try your hardest to convince yourself your toaster can do more then it really can.

Also why do you keep calling platforms hermits etc, you sound like a child.

@davillain- said:

PS5 specs & power-wise isn't something I'm gonna care about. I'm only interest what new IP games will PS5 have is way more important then power itself. Gamers still have yet to learn power doesn't win the console war, it's the delivery of the exclusive it carries with. This gen, both Sony & Nintendo just happens to have the best exclusive on their consoles and MS was all too focus on having the most powerful console but barely any AAA exclusive to show for.

You can have the most powerful console, but are you gonna have the best exclusive games to show for? Looking at you MS. I'm gonna go with a yes to this question, Sony doesn't really need to have the most powerful console, just good games. MS at the start of this gen just happens to pick poorly specs but Sony just happens to pick whichever works best.

Price and content have always been the key factor. They go hand in hand.

If sony released the PS4 at a 100 bucks more expensive then xbox one with less content. Nobody would have bought it. It would have been a wii-u all over again or early PS3 area. ( huge hyped up products from super succesful gens before it, to complete duds when they launched )

All they need is a cheap price and loads of content. The performance in that box isn't going to matter. Unless it falls short with what developers need to make games.

The ball is with microsoft this generation to showcase if they can compete with playstation offerings and if not, they will have to drop the price + give better performance in order to get traction going back into there platform or do something drastically like cut royalties.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It's always been about games (and to a lesser degree price) for me. I don't give a rat's ass if it's the most powerful console or not.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro  Online

@storm_of_swords: The best selling console for this gen was the most powerful when it was launched. Migden consoles were not even a thought when the PS4, Xbox One or WiiU was released. people bought it because it was cheaper and the most powerful console on the market for. That broke the trend, now deal with it.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10612 Posts

@i_p_daily:

Because MS game is the epitome of "gameplay", correct?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator
@xantufrog said:

It's always been about games (and to a lesser degree price) for me. I don't give a rat's ass if it's the most powerful console or not.

You spoke well and I totally agree with this statement as well. It's just sad that Lems here don't even get this.

We don't always agree but its nice seeing someone cares about the games and not power of a console all the time. If anyone wants power, go to PC.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@boxrekt said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@boxrekt said:
@GarGx1 said:

Catch 22.

Oh, you want to go this route, eh?

Okay, here you go.

9900k, 16 gb DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080 TI FTW3 Hybrid. Here's a couple pics.

Have some 60 fps+ Metro Exodus at 1440p Ultrawide. DLSS off. One is at 58. So unplayable; slideshow, right? Framerate in the upper left.

Of course, you probably won't respond to this. You typically run away after screenshots are posted with your tail between your legs.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: FINISH HIM!

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Gating software doesn't make the hardware better, just a baited purchase

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

@storm_of_swords: The SNES had superior graphics to the Sega Genesis and also sold more. The PS1 was arguably stronger than the Sega Saturn and also sold more...

Power is important in the console wars. Sony has already stressed that the PS5 will be significantly more powerful than the PS4. But yes, in the end the quality of games will still matter the most.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@boxrekt said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@boxrekt said:
@GarGx1 said:

Catch 22.

Oh, you want to go this route, eh?

Okay, here you go.

9900k, 16 gb DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080 TI FTW3 Hybrid. Here's a couple pics.

Have some 60 fps+ Metro Exodus at 1440p Ultrawide. DLSS off. One is at 58. So unplayable; slideshow, right? Framerate in the upper left.

Of course, you probably won't respond to this. You typically run away after screenshots are posted with your tail between your legs.

No need for me to add anything else.

Though I am typing this on my laptop, which is already more powerful than anything the next gen consoles will roll out with. :)

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@pmanden: Genesis was stronger than snes. PS1 was stronger than Saturn but technically weaker than the N64. N64 had other issues holding it back.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator
@fedor said:

@DragonfireXZ95: FINISH HIM!

FLAWLESS VICTORY!

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 pmanden

@DragonfireXZ95: I'm not into PC gaming, but I gotta admire those cool rainbow colors.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 pmanden

@fedor: While the Genesis was one of my all-time favorite consoles, you can't convince me that it was stronger than the SNES. Yes, its processor was twice as fast - twice the megapower! :) - but the SNES had 32000 colors vs. Genesis' 512 and also offered sprite scaling, mode 7 and other sexy stuff. The sound quality was also better in my opnion.

I didn't consider the N64 more powerful than the PS1, because it was severely bottlenecked by that stupid, stupid cartridge format. Talk about a bottleneck! 10 times worse than the CPU problem of the Xbox one X.