Has Nintendo outsmarted the competition by not competing??

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ KittenNose

Uhm.... The Wii U is not more of the Wii, Tablet Controller remember ? I'd say the new direction was just a miss for all the soccer moms, especially at $400.

Yeah, it is. Underpowered, wacky controller, more 2D Mario and minigames and Smash and Mario Kart and 3rd party consisting of last gen ports, if even those.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Jag85: *waits for the "they don't sell" reply*

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

No one is buying the Wii U because it offers nothing of value compared the "competition" they decided to avoid.

It offers Mario games.....

The value of Mario isn't what it used to be.

Ok then why does Nintendo keep making them over and over again?

What else are they going to make? When is the last time Nintendo made a new IP that was really successful(not count any crap that starts with Wii like Wii Sports/Fit etc)?

Nintendo has more IP's than both Sony and Microsoft combined. They don't really need to create new IP's... All they need to do is go through their back catalogue and start reviving dormant IP's.

If they don't use them may as well not exist. I think Metroid was my favorite Nintendo IP and it gets 3rd rate treatment now.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#54 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

MS and Sony are going to compete with PC full on. They have serious trouble ahead. In that sense it may have been the smart thing to do.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#55 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:

@Jag85: *waits for the "they don't sell" reply*

The recent reboots of Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem sold very well, better than expected. I think Nintendo should try doing some more rebooting once in a while.

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Jag85 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

No one is buying the Wii U because it offers nothing of value compared the "competition" they decided to avoid.

What else are they going to make? When is the last time Nintendo made a new IP that was really successful(not count any crap that starts with Wii like Wii Sports/Fit etc)?

Nintendo has more IP's than both Sony and Microsoft combined. They don't really need to create new IP's... All they need to do is go through their back catalogue and start reviving dormant IP's.

If they don't use them may as well not exist. I think Metroid was my favorite Nintendo IP and it gets 3rd rate treatment now.

Let's hope Retro Studios finally gets around to making a new Metroid Prime game...

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Their biggest miscalculation was not realizing that casuals were never going to flock to the wii u like they did the wii because they already have a wii and never play it to begin with. Why would they get a new console? The result is that only Nintendo fans bought the wii u. Core gamers who aren't nintendo fans neglected it because it wasn't nextgen enough and doesn't have full third part support and the casuals like I said already have a wii that they don't ever use. Why get another one? Once the novelty of the wii faded Nintendo should have realized that they lost the casuals attention and refocused on the core gamer.

What nintendo should have done if they wanted to appeal to casuals was go Microsoft's route. The Xbone is what the wii u should have been. Powerful enough to be a capable nextgen gaming machine but still a lot of casual features that will appeal to people aren't just gamers.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

Nintendo should have made Contra a FPS to rival Halo and KZ.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Currently as things sit, Nintendo and outsmart are two words that don't mix together.

Wow! Another thing I agree with you on. Wii was a lucky gimmicky trend. Wii U is a PoS.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@clr84651: did we just become best friends? Tickle fight!!!!!!

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@clr84651: did we just become best friends? Tickle fight!!!!!!

Lol

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

@outworld222: If that was their strategy with the 3DS, Mission Accomplished. If that was their strategy with the Wii U, FAIL.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I just want to say that you must be pretty blind to not know that Nintendo was in fact Competing with the WiiU.

These were the Games Available to you at launch if you bought a WiiU.

Games for that "Hardcore" Crowd

1. Assassin's Creed III
  2. Batman Arkham City
  3. Call of Duty Black Ops II
  4. Darksiders II
  5. Mass Effect 3
  6. NBA 2K13
  7. Fifa 13
  8. Madden NFL 13
  9. Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge
  10. Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  11. ZombiU
  12. Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper

Games aimed for Kids

1. Disney Epic Mickey 2
  2. New Super Mario Bros. U
  3. Scribblenauts Unlimited
  4. Skylanders Giants
  5. Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
  6. Transformers Prime
  7. Rabbids Land
  8. Tank! Tank! Tank!

Games for Casuals

1. EA Sports Connection
  2. Game Party Champions
  3. Just Dance 4
  4. Nintendo Land
  5. Sing Party
  6. Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
  7. Wipeout: the Game 3

Downloads

1. Chasing Aurora
  2. Might Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition
  3. Nano Assault Neo
  4. Trine 2: Director's Cut
  5. Little Inferno

Look at that! The "Hardcore" Category has 12 games in it! You can argue all you want on these categories, but I've labeled them as I see them. The WiiU was well made for the "Hardcore" Market.

What Happened? Nintendo didn't market to the Hardcore market through commercials. They showed off the Wrong games. They showed off Sing Party!, New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land and a game that wasn't going to be hitting Stores till later that following Spring! had they put more emphasis on Call of Duty Black Ops II with the neat Split Screen option where each player has their own screen that could have been a selling point! or maybe put more advertisement on Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge! wasn't that funded by Nintendo? at least they published it!

Then again maybe Nintendo thought the "Hardcore" already knew about the WiiU and the games for them, after all that Advertising they did Online, with the Directs and The Press Conferences. Did you all forget about that Conference they had where Bayonetta 2 was unveiled?

Nintendo was aiming for the "Hardcore" Crowd. The Xbox 360 and PS3 Crowd.

What Happened? You can say that Nintendo happened, and most of all......YOU happened.

You didn't buy into Nintendo's Sale's Pitch. You didn't like the Console they made. You didn't even want the games they gave out, simply because they're available else where.

Would this have been avoided if Nintendo made a more capable console? Maybe or Maybe not, who knows? But from what it stands is that Nintendo made a console and made sure there were games for everyone especially for that "Hardcore" Crowd and No one bought into it and Nintendo is now paying the price.

That's that.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

@Jag85 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

Let's hope Retro Studios finally gets around to making a new Metroid Prime game...

Can't they stay away from that franchise for a while? They only had one Donkey Kong game prior to Tropical Freeze and had their hand in Mario Kart 7. They already have three Metroid games, it's best they don't become the central factory for that IP.

HiraiKazuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 HiraiKazuo
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts

Yes because getting outsold nearly 7:1 by the PS4 and 3:1 By the Xbox One is good.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By nintendoboy16

@draign said:

Nintendo should have made Contra a FPS to rival Halo and KZ.

Contra doesn't belong to Nintendo.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Jag85

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Jag85 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

@Jag85 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

Can't they stay away from that franchise for a while? They only had one Donkey Kong game prior to returns and had their hand in Mario Kart 7. They already have three Metroid games, it's best they don't become the central factory for that IP.

Nintendo tried handing Metroid over to Team Ninja, and that didn't work out too well. The best thing for the franchise would either be to hand it back to Retro Studios to make another Prime game, or give it to one of their internal Japanese teams to take it back to its 2D Metroidvania roots,

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 nintendoboy16

@Jag85 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Jag85 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Can't they stay away from that franchise for a while? They only had one Donkey Kong game prior to returns and had their hand in Mario Kart 7. They already have three Metroid games, it's best they don't become the central factory for that IP.

Nintendo tried handing Metroid over to Team Ninja, and that didn't work out too well. The best thing for the franchise would either be to hand it back to Retro Studios to make another Prime game, or give it to one of their internal Japanese teams to take it back to its 2D Metroidvania roots,

I'm fine just giving it to another Japanese internal team or someone like Next Level. Just not Retro, let them expand more.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#68  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I just want to say that you must be pretty blind to not know that Nintendo was in fact Competing with the WiiU.

1. Assassin's Creed III........................Port that is better on other consoles.
  2. Batman Arkham City,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Port that is better on other consoles.
  3. Call of Duty Black Ops II.................Port that is better on other consoles.
  4. Darksiders II...................................Port that is better on other consoles.
  5. Mass Effect 3.................................Port that is better on other consoles.
  6. NBA 2K13........................................Port that is better on other consoles.
  7. Fifa 13..........................................Port that is better on other consoles.
  8. Madden NFL 13..............................Port that is better on other consoles.
  9. Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge.........Port that is better on other consoles.
  10. Tekken Tag Tournament 2............It's a fighting game....Who cares? I am not even going to look this up if it's a port or not, but i assume it is.
  11. ZombiU......................................LMAO 7/10 game at best. Appeals to mainly nintendo fans.
  12. Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper.................WTF?! No "core" gamer buys this crap except people obsessed with japanese games aka nintendo fans.

These games suck and we played most of them years ago on superior systems. Your "point" is pointless.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ locopatho

Well yeah but.... Bayonetta 2 ! Wii-tch Time !

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

No, they are going after a market that doesn't exist. Either they go after Sony/Microsoft's marketshare, or they go mobile.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Nintendo is so smart they outsmarted themselves out of their market share. If they were smart they would still support the wii. Then made the wii u 350 bucks with weak hardware and no games. By the time they got games and dropped the price the ps4 and x1 dropped.

At this point it looks like the wii u is going to be in 3rd place by alot.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

Nintendo "outsmarted the competition by not competing" in the same way I won gold at the Olympics by watching it on TV.

Mario kinda reminds me Roger in that American Dad episode...

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

Nintendo's current IP's are losing steam. They need more than Mario and Zelda games if they want the Wii U to succeed.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Jag85

@emgesp said:

@Jag85 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

Nintendo's current IP's are losing steam. They need more than Mario and Zelda games if they want the Wii U to succeed.

And like I already said, Nintendo has far more IP's than just Mario and Zelda. They just need to make good use of the many IP's that they already have (both old and current), and that's what they've been doing on the 3DS. If they just did the same for the Wii U, it would help a lot.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#75  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@outworld222 said:

You know about Nintendo CEO's famous phrase about not competing directly against Sony and Microsoft.

Well I just feel that while Sony and Microsoft do make more bang for the buck, Nintendo always has a way of coming into the positive side of things cash wise in the end. Sure, it's a meager way to make a living, but at the end they don't have wild fluctuations like Sony and Microsoft.

Do I have the right to feel this way? Or am I wrong or missing some info I overlooked??

Thing is, Nintendo was competing at first with the Wii U. Then, when things started to go south due to their own administrative incompetency, the narrative changed. It doesn't matter what the competition excuse is at this point. Wii U isn't designed to blaze its own path as Wii did in 2006. Wii had an extremely easy interface, it had a good ad campaign, it had strong launch titles, and it was obvious that it was a new system with its weird name that generated so many lame jokes.

Nintendo tried to compete this time out of the gate, but they didn't do it with all the right methods and it bit them in the ass.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MirkoS77

@Jag85 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Jag85 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

@Jag85 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

I'd almost prefer a 3DS Metroid at this point, as much as I enjoyed the Prime games Metroid has always kind of been about precise plaforming. 3DS would be cheaper to develop as well, so I'd think it'd be something Nintendo would be more apt to do. They're not going to invest much into the U at this point, it'd be wasted money.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#77 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@stuff238 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

1. Assassin's Creed III........................Port that is better on other consoles.
  2. Batman Arkham City,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Port that is better on other consoles.
  3. Call of Duty Black Ops II.................Port that is better on other consoles.
  4. Darksiders II...................................Port that is better on other consoles.
  5. Mass Effect 3.................................Port that is better on other consoles.
  6. NBA 2K13........................................Port that is better on other consoles.
  7. Fifa 13..........................................Port that is better on other consoles.
  8. Madden NFL 13..............................Port that is better on other consoles.
  10. Tekken Tag Tournament 2............It's a fighting game....Who cares? I am not even going to look this up if it's a port or not, but i assume it is.
  11. ZombiU......................................LMAO 7/10 game at best. Appeals to mainly nintendo fans.
  12. Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper.................WTF?! No "core" gamer buys this crap except people obsessed with japanese games aka nintendo fans.

These games suck and we played most of them years ago on superior systems. Your "point" is pointless.

This is the crappiest Argument I have ever seen.

While most of those are better on the other consoles, they're also not flat out terrible on WiiU and they also appeal to that "hardcore" crowd. Also If I remember correctly at the time of release, Ninja Gaiden 3 on WiiU was the better version of the game.

And Assassin's Creed III was actually a really well done port of the game for WiiU. It didn't matter if you got this version over a PS3 or 360 version.

And ZombiU only appeals to Nintendo fans? What is this? Did you forget about all of the other Zombie Games out on the PS3 and 360? Isn't Dying Light one of the more hyped up PS4 and Xbox One games?

And down playing Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a really shame. The Fighting Game community is LARGE and Tekken is one of the more played games of all fighting games and this version has more in it than the other 2 do.

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper may not be your cup of tea, but I've seen games like this all over the 360 and PS3 library (especially the PS3 if you want weaboos you should be looking over there) and this game certainly isn't marketed to Casuals and it's not a kids game.

All you were doing in this post was reenforcing what I had stated previously.

You didn't care for Nintendo's newest System, you didn't want those games on Nintendo systems, you just simply did not want a WiiU or it's games, and that was my point.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@Jag85 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Jag85 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

@Jag85 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

I'd almost prefer a 3DS Metroid at this point, as much as I enjoyed the Prime games Metroid has always kind of been about precise plaforming. 3DS would be cheaper to develop as well, so I'd think it'd be something Nintendo would be more apt to do. They're not going to invest much into the U at this point, it'd be wasted money.

So one year in it's time to start giving Wii U just rehashes and try anything risky. I know to continue avoiding Nintendo hardware,

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MirkoS77

@StrongBlackVine said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@Jag85 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Jag85 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

@Jag85 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

So one year in it's time to start giving Wii U just rehashes and try anything risky. I know to continue avoiding Nintendo hardware,

"Risk" and "Nintendo" really haven't gone together in a long time.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 nintendoboy16

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@outworld222 said:

You know about Nintendo CEO's famous phrase about not competing directly against Sony and Microsoft.

Well I just feel that while Sony and Microsoft do make more bang for the buck, Nintendo always has a way of coming into the positive side of things cash wise in the end. Sure, it's a meager way to make a living, but at the end they don't have wild fluctuations like Sony and Microsoft.

Do I have the right to feel this way? Or am I wrong or missing some info I overlooked??

Thing is, Nintendo was competing at first with the Wii U. Then, when things started to go south due to their own administrative incompetency, the narrative changed. It doesn't matter what the competition excuse is at this point. Wii U isn't designed to blaze its own path as Wii did in 2006. Wii had an extremely easy interface, it had a good ad campaign, it had strong launch titles, and it was obvious that it was a new system with its weird name that generated so many lame jokes.

Nintendo tried to compete this time out of the gate, but they didn't do it with all the right methods and it bit them in the ass.

That, and the hardcore never cared for the Wii U to begin with. As seen in... that controversy over that one game only two months before the damn console even released.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jag85

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@stuff238 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

This is the crappiest Argument I have ever seen.

While most of those are better on the other consoles, they're also not flat out terrible on WiiU and they also appeal to that "hardcore" crowd. Also If I remember correctly at the time of release, Ninja Gaiden 3 on WiiU was the better version of the game.

And Assassin's Creed III was actually a really well done port of the game for WiiU. It didn't matter if you got this version over a PS3 or 360 version.

And ZombiU only appeals to Nintendo fans? What is this? Did you forget about all of the other Zombie Games out on the PS3 and 360? Isn't Dying Light one of the more hyped up PS4 and Xbox One games?

And down playing Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a really shame. The Fighting Game community is LARGE and Tekken is one of the more played games of all fighting games and this version has more in it than the other 2 do.

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper may not be your cup of tea, but I've seen games like this all over the 360 and PS3 library (especially the PS3 if you want weaboos you should be looking over there) and this game certainly isn't marketed to Casuals and it's not a kids game.

All you were doing in this post was reenforcing what I had stated previously.

You didn't care for Nintendo's newest System, you didn't want those games on Nintendo systems, you just simply did not want a WiiU or it's games, and that was my point.

Besides Ninja Gaiden 3, the Wii U version of Arkham City also had some extras that weren't in the other console versions.

But yeah, it does seem like so-called 'hardcore' gamers weren't going to give the Wii U a chance to begin with. Like nintendoboy16 was (I think) alluding to above, the outrage over Bayonetta 2 being a Wii U exclusive couldn't make this anymore obvious.

It's a bit like the Dreamcast situation, where, because of Sega's previous failure with the Saturn, gamers decided not to give the Dreamcast a chance at all, regardless of how many quality exclusives it had. I know, because I was one of those gamers (I didn't give the Dreamcast a chance until after its demise).

@MirkoS77 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@Jag85 said:

"Risk" and "Nintendo" really haven't gone together in a long time.

The Wii U's tablet controller was a very risky move.