Hardest modern game you've played and finished?

• 76 results
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Souls games I guess. Sekiro was challenging, but more so in a cheap way to me. I'd say pure challenge and ONLY bordering on cheapness was Bloodborne defiled chalice (story progression defiled). You're obligated to fight bosses that one shot you across the board.

My big issue with Sekiro was that they gave the bosses a million HP, so you're sitting there whacking them forever. It's not even a test in how hard the boss is, it's just a test of patience for the most part. I got fed up with that game because I had to take two swipes, then dodge for a while before taking two more swipes and had to repeat this process for what seemed like an eternity on every boss.

Turns out, you had to go get an item from some other dude that they don't just naturally give you. You had to backtrack for everything. It annoyed me to no end.

That, and the stealth was a crappy faux stealth that you couldn't even use for 70% of the game. Why they even included stealth was a question I kept asking myself. Enemies had cheap(or bad) AI that could see you through entire buildings.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Souls games I guess. Sekiro was challenging, but more so in a cheap way to me. I'd say pure challenge and ONLY bordering on cheapness was Bloodborne defiled chalice (story progression defiled). You're obligated to fight bosses that one shot you across the board.

My big issue with Sekiro was that they gave the bosses a million HP, so you're sitting there whacking them forever. It's not even a test in how hard the boss is, it's just a test of patience for the most part. I got fed up with that game because I had to take two swipes, then dodge for a while before taking two more swipes and had to repeat this process for what seemed like an eternity on every boss.

Did you not make a habit of depleting their poise to deliver massive damage? If you're taking two swipes, then dodging for a while, you're not delivering enough damage at once.

I never beat the last boss. Didn't feel worth putting myself through all the frustration when I had already seen most of the game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#53 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

Prey easily.

some of levels near the end become frustrating.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

TLOU only because how mindbogglingly boring it was to finish.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#55 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

Probably Sekiro.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

My big issue with Sekiro was that they gave the bosses a million HP, so you're sitting there whacking them forever.

Yeah... I don't think you understood the combat.

For me, aside from the obvious (Souls, Sekiro), the first Dead Rising was pretty difficult

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#57 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

Third person games in a nutshell.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Well, Sekiro, Dead Cells, and Nioh all come to mind.

Nioh perhaps wins the prize though due to the fact that I haven't 100% it and probably never will as the game feels like an insanity test with its boss matchups. Most of the normal campaign is okay right til you get toward the endgame content. Nothing amusing about the dual boss fights while knowing you can pretty much die 1-3 hits. Most likely won't be going any further into the Abyss section either. Think I managed to get to floor 9 and haven't proceeded passed that point. My current progress last I check was about 90% of Way of the Samurai and halfway through Way of the Strong before I stopped playing about 6 months ago...

Picking up the game after not playing for a while is also not very simple. Trying to remember all the weapon stance combination and skill executions is.....ugh...

Edit: Evil Within also gets an honorary mention. Very difficult game, especially its Akuma mode, but I was able to beat it 100%...

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:

Third person games in a nutshell.

No! Just lazy implementations.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#60 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Sekiro was ballbreaking

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#61 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

Ummmmmm I am not sure, I tend to not play really difficult games. It's the reason I don't like "soulsborne" games.

I guess the last boss in the Division 2 Warlords of New York was pretty tough, finally beat it yesterday. Took about 12 tries, the guy just talks shit to you like some 12 year old, uses armor packs four times, and disables all your abilities while spamming every single gadget at his disposal.

It wasn't even fun, it's just like an endurance contest and is pointless.

@ajstyles said:

I hate hard games.

I did get the platinum for Uncharted 2. So I guess that as it’s one of the few games I was able to beat on the highest difficulties.

Same.

If I wanted a challenge, I'd play against people online.

When not online, I don't want to be challenged to the point of frustration. Plus, most difficult games are artificially difficult; the enemies are not more skilled, they only do more damage and have more health.

When we have better AI, then I might be up for a challenge.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Litchie

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

1. My big issue with Sekiro was that they gave the bosses a million HP, so you're sitting there whacking them forever. It's not even a test in how hard the boss is, it's just a test of patience for the most part. I got fed up with that game because I had to take two swipes, then dodge for a while before taking two more swipes and had to repeat this process for what seemed like an eternity on every boss.

2. Turns out, you had to go get an item from some other dude that they don't just naturally give you. You had to backtrack for everything. It annoyed me to no end.

3. That, and the stealth was a crappy faux stealth that you couldn't even use for 70% of the game. Why they even included stealth was a question I kept asking myself. Enemies had cheap(or bad) AI that could see you through entire buildings.

1. You're not supposed to whack them forever. The whole game urges you to counter and take down enemies posture as opposed to HP. You're playing the game wrong.

2. Yeah, there's some backtracking. Not more than or more convoluted than the Souls series though. I never had to backtrack and search for something I needed. Found shit naturally.

3. Yes, stealth sucks. Don't waste points on it.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By DragonfireXZ95

@Litchie said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

1. My big issue with Sekiro was that they gave the bosses a million HP, so you're sitting there whacking them forever. It's not even a test in how hard the boss is, it's just a test of patience for the most part. I got fed up with that game because I had to take two swipes, then dodge for a while before taking two more swipes and had to repeat this process for what seemed like an eternity on every boss.

2. Turns out, you had to go get an item from some other dude that they don't just naturally give you. You had to backtrack for everything. It annoyed me to no end.

3. That, and the stealth was a crappy faux stealth that you couldn't even use for 70% of the game. Why they even included stealth was a question I kept asking myself. Enemies had cheap(or bad) AI that could see you through entire buildings.

1. You're not supposed to whack them forever. The whole game urges you to counter and take down enemies posture as opposed to HP. You're playing the game wrong.

2. Yeah, there's some backtracking. Not more than or more convoluted than the Souls series though. I never had to backtrack and search for something I needed. Found shit naturally.

I was specifically talking about bosses with the whacking them forever. Regular enemies were fine. The ogre boss in chains, for instance. Either you could exercise your patience and whack him forever, or you could go back and get the flame attack. I eventually stopped playing later on because boss' HP was nuts.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Litchie

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Litchie said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

I was specifically talking about bosses with the whacking them forever. Regular enemies were fine. The ogre boss in chains, for instance. Either you could exercise your patience and whack him forever, or you could go back and get the flame attack. I eventually stopped playing later on because boss' HP was nuts.

With bosses it's even more important to bring their posture down than it is with regular enemies..

Wouldn't call the ogre a boss.. Maybe miniboss if anything. Anyway, at a certain point, the game points you towards the place where you get the flame prosthetic, and if you go there you'll get it before meeting the ogre. That's what I did. You probably just continued on the same path you were on and left the Hirata Estate area for later.

But yeah, if you had big trouble with the ogre you probably shouldn't continue. The ogre is easy compared to what's coming. Even though I had the flame prosthetic at the time, I didn't even use it on the ogre, so it's not like it's something you had to have to win that fight.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DragonfireXZ95

@Litchie said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Litchie said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

With bosses it's even more important to bring their posture down than it is with regular enemies..

Wouldn't call the ogre a boss.. Maybe miniboss if anything. Anyway, at a certain point, the game points you towards the place where you get the flame prosthetic, and if you go there you'll get it before meeting the ogre. That's what I did. You probably just continued on the same path you were on and left the Hirata Estate area for later.

But yeah, if you had big trouble with the ogre you probably shouldn't continue. The ogre is easy compared to what's coming. Even though I had the flame prosthetic at the time, I didn't even use it on the ogre, so it's not like it's something you had to have to win that fight.

I guess I'll have to watch a video, because I didn't know you could bring down boss posture. The stealth was still shit. The game was decent, but was nowhere near as good as Dark Souls.

Also, are you saying the ogre wasn't an exercise in patience without the flame attack? Because you barely did any damage to him normally.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

How modern?

Within the last 15 years, I've beaten Dark Souls, Devil May Cry 3: SE on Hard, Super Meat Boy and there was a point in time that I could play songs in Beatmania IIDX 12-14 on "Another" difficulty.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11245 Posts

I despise difficult games and will eagerly admit I play games on easy first and work my way up (rarely make it past medium/normal)

The only games I can remember completing on hard or harder would be The Last of US (hard) and Metal Gear Solid 4 (The Boss Extreme) others just have not been worth it to me.

Edit: Devil May Cry 5 on Son of Sparda mode.

Avatar image for deactivated-603db33572396
deactivated-603db33572396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-603db33572396
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts

talking to a girl

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#69 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Getting 200% completion in Donkey Kong Country Returns would have to be my pick.

Thugly's high rise with only one hit was probably the hardest part of the mirror mode run.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#70 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Also, are you saying the ogre wasn't an exercise in patience without the flame attack? Because you barely did any damage to him normally.

Triple H is definitely easy. Even early game you can just side step most of his shit n bury him n strong attacks 2-3 at a time. Either way you can cheese it with the firecrackers you buy from the vendor.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38721 Posts

Would also like to add Halo 2 on legendary. I don't think anyone at Bungie tested that thing.

avenger85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 avenger85
Member since 2015 • 304 Posts

Ninja gaiden 2 on master ninja and Conan on king both where pretty hard. Lol

Avatar image for deactivated-603db33572396
deactivated-603db33572396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-603db33572396
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts

putting down warhawk

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#75 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

The SoulsBorne franchise (with the exception of Sekiro) and Cuphead come to my mind ... i don't really enjoy hard games ...

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Cuphead, Nioh, Sekiro, BloodBorne and I guess. I don't really consider any of these hard though. They just test your patience more than anything else.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Litchie

@Ghost120x said:

Cuphead, Nioh, Sekiro, BloodBorne and I guess. I don't really consider any of these hard though. They just test your patience more than anything else.

So.. what's a hard game to you? Feels like you could say "it just test your patience" to all hard games ever.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

@Litchie:

I guess you’re right. I would say if I can beat it, it’s probably not that hard.

I would say Super Ghouls n Ghosts is a hard game. I’ve tried many times but I just can’t... :(